Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
concernedperson said:
Kgeaux has been OK through this but she may not be OK throughout the rest of it.Much help is needed and it will filter wherever it is needed. So, send up your prayers to her because she has a giant heart and will more than likely take on a lot and a lot that will cause inconvenience. So, Karen, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I will find a way to help.

Thank you so much for all who have expressed concern. I am fine but we do have an enormous job to do here in Lafayette. We have thousands of evacuees here in Lafayette, no one has an exact count yet. Most of them are having to come to terms with the fact that they have no home, no possessions, and no job to return to.

The Red Cross asked for donations last night for the refugees at the Cajun Dome, and so many people showed up that the cars were wrapped around the Cajun Dome. People who escaped damage are so grateful to be in a position to help. Little children begged their moms to take them to the Cajun Dome so they could give toys to the kids who had lost all theirs. One little boy sent a hand written message and drawing to cheer other little ones up!

Several apartment complexes have stepped up to the bat and offered short term housing--in other words, they aren't asking for $ up front and aren't requiring leases.

Our schools have set up a registration site and will accept any students from the NO area. The school board has started a uniform drive so the students will have clothing. People are donating paper, pens, notebooks and booksacks.
It doesn't sound like a lot but those kids need some sort of normality in their lives and this is a small step in providing that.

Local businesses are trying to provide jobs for those who so desperately need jobs.

Our pharmacies are going the extra mile to try to verify prescriptions and provide meds. for those in need--

I was sitting in a pharmacy yesterday, and a young mother sat next to me. She was talking on her cell phone, just sobbing. She was talking to her Dad in North Alabama. She has family members who stayed behind, they lived right off of Lake Ponchitrain, so she believes they are dead. Her momma, her two little brothers. She had $10 in her pocket and needed antibiotics for her baby and diapers. Servers were down so her credit and debit cards weren't working. She had no checkbook. She was just pouring her heart out to her dad and telling him she didn't know what to do. People quietly stepped up to the counter and paid for everything she needed--she never had to ask. We heard her and responded.

A family from NO lost their dog--it escaped out of the yard of the home they had taken refuge in. On top of every other worry, they couldn't find their dog. Well, the doggie had shown up at a local bank where the tellers took him in, gave him water and paid to board him at a local vet until they could find his family---the next morning they spotted flyers the family had put out and there was a happy reunion! In the midst of all this tragedy, good things are happening.

God is good. And as long as there are people willing to help, the people devastated by Katrina will survive.

Marthatex said:
On a side note, my nephew, who was about to begin at Tulane University, is still stranded in Mississippi, and will have to go back to Hawaii, his residence, to continue school there.

He was hoping to study pre-med and get into medical school, but now he is having to go back to a much lesser school. (Hi at Hilo)
This is not life-threatening, but does anyone realize all the students who were about to start at Tulane have no place else to study for this semester - unless other schools somehow take them in. I don't know whether Tulane is salvageable or not; haven't heard.

I believe that some of the colleges around Dallas have prepared to take in students ... I know the football team is there and practicing on the SMU football field.

Are there any new tropical waves/disturbances out in the Atlantic? I have searched all of the weather sites that I normally use and find no mention of anything. I find that interesting considering we are in the peak of Hurricane season. Are they afraid of starting a real panic at the thought of another storm on the way? Anyone else able to find anything going on out in the Atlantic? How about you DK? You seem to be WS's unofficial weather forecaster.

Shadow205 said:
Are there any new tropical waves/disturbances out in the Atlantic? I have searched all of the weather sites that I normally use and find no mention of anything. I find that interesting considering we are in the peak of Hurricane season. Are they afraid of starting a real panic at the thought of another storm on the way? Anyone else able to find anything going on out in the Atlantic? How about you DK? You seem to be WS's unofficial weather forecaster.

From weather.com:

So what is next? The remnants of Tropical Depression #13 have been caught up in a complex area of disturbed weather a few hundred miles southeast of Bermuda. This area remains disorganized, but will be watched closely for any organization over the next few days.

An area of low pressure with some thunderstorms around it continues to spin westward over the eastern Atlantic Ocean. This system has the potential for development and could become a depression in the next 24 to 48 hours. It is well away from any land areas.

There are two typhoons in the western Pacific Ocean. Typhoon Talim with top winds of 120 mph is forecast to move across Taiwan in the next 6 to 12 hours, then on into mainland China Thursday. Typhoon Nabi has top winds of 110 mph. This typhoon has passed the islands of Saipan and Tinian and is now expected to head toward Japan over the next few days.

/SNIP

kgeaux said:
Thank you so much for all who have expressed concern. I am fine but we do have an enormous job to do here in Lafayette. We have thousands of evacuees here in Lafayette, no one has an exact count yet. Most of them are having to come to terms with the fact that they have no home, no possessions, and no job to return to.

The Red Cross asked for donations last night for the refugees at the Cajun Dome, and so many people showed up that the cars were wrapped around the Cajun Dome. People who escaped damage are so grateful to be in a position to help. Little children begged their moms to take them to the Cajun Dome so they could give toys to the kids who had lost all theirs. One little boy sent a hand written message and drawing to cheer other little ones up!

Several apartment complexes have stepped up to the bat and offered short term housing--in other words, they aren't asking for $ up front and aren't requiring leases.

Our schools have set up a registration site and will accept any students from the NO area. The school board has started a uniform drive so the students will have clothing. People are donating paper, pens, notebooks and booksacks.
It doesn't sound like a lot but those kids need some sort of normality in their lives and this is a small step in providing that.

Local businesses are trying to provide jobs for those who so desperately need jobs.

Our pharmacies are going the extra mile to try to verify prescriptions and provide meds. for those in need--

I was sitting in a pharmacy yesterday, and a young mother sat next to me. She was talking on her cell phone, just sobbing. She was talking to her Dad in North Alabama. She has family members who stayed behind, they lived right off of Lake Ponchitrain, so she believes they are dead. Her momma, her two little brothers. She had $10 in her pocket and needed antibiotics for her baby and diapers. Servers were down so her credit and debit cards weren't working. She had no checkbook. She was just pouring her heart out to her dad and telling him she didn't know what to do. People quietly stepped up to the counter and paid for everything she needed--she never had to ask. We heard her and responded.

A family from NO lost their dog--it escaped out of the yard of the home they had taken refuge in. On top of every other worry, they couldn't find their dog. Well, the doggie had shown up at a local bank where the tellers took him in, gave him water and paid to board him at a local vet until they could find his family---the next morning they spotted flyers the family had put out and there was a happy reunion! In the midst of all this tragedy, good things are happening.

God is good. And as long as there are people willing to help, the people devastated by Katrina will survive.

kgeaux - thank God you are safe. Thanks so much for posting this. With this horrible tragedy around us, reading your post made me feel good.

I heard on the radio this morning that Houston schools are opening their doors to families from Louisiana and people are suggesting the use of our empty Astrodome for shelter.

NewMom2003 said:
kgeaux - thank God you are safe. Thanks so much for posting this. With this horrible tragedy around us, reading your post made me feel good.

I heard on the radio this morning that Houston schools are opening their doors to families from Louisiana and people are suggesting the use of our empty Astrodome for shelter.

Local news here, Houston, justy announced that the Astrodome is going to be a shelter for the NO Superdome refugees. 400 busses will be sent and coming back filled with people. I'm going to check and see if I can volunteer this weekend.

kato said:
Local news here, Houston, justy announced that the Astrodome is going to be a shelter for the NO Superdome refugees. 400 busses will be sent and coming back filled with people. I'm going to check and see if I can volunteer this weekend.

Great news!!! PM me what you find out about volunteering. :blowkiss:

On a personal note, I work for a large food manufacturing company in the Houston area and we are sending truckloads of supplies into Louisiana (as far as they can get in anyways). Our management team is sending several of us out today to buy supplies (that we don't make) to include in these trucks.

NewMom2003 said:
Great news!!! PM me what you find out about volunteering. :blowkiss:

On a personal note, I work for a large food manufacturing company in the Houston area and we are sending truckloads of supplies into Louisiana (as far as they can get in anyways). Our management team is sending several of us out today to buy supplies (that we don't make) to include in these trucks.

OK. I'm gonna go to Channel 13's website cuz that's where I hear the news. Will holler at ya later.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/3332869

Buses prepare to bring Superdome refugees to Astrodome

NEW ORLEANS — As Army engineers struggled without success to plug New Orleans' breached levees with sandbags and water continued to rise, Texas officials have worked out a plan to bring thousands of refugees from the Superdome to Houston's Astrodome.

I live in N. Ala. We have a businessman that in every disaster he collects whatever is needed and pays for all the warehouse, packing and shipping to the area. My home town is collecting, perishables, baby supplies, cleaning supplies, money, etc. They will start trucking it out today. My heart breaks for the people in the Gulf area and many prayers for them.

As many as 110 dead in Mississippi due to Hurricane Katrina; death toll expected to climb, emergency official tells CNN. Details soon.

Update -

My sister-in-law and her family as well as her sister-in-law and family are with us now. They arrived about 1:30 this morning. They immediately came in and turned the news on. They had been without power since Sunday night and saw none of the devastation in New Orleans. All sat and cried. They had heard reports, but actually seeing the video footage really pushed them over the edge. How awful.

They suffered only minor damage - missing shingles and trees and branches down - no flooding. They are planning on staying with us for a while as they have no power or water. They are planning on renting a u-haul and going back to load up the high dollar stuff to put in storage here - especially with all the looters around. They live in a very nice neighborhood and are worried sick about people getting in there and doing some damage. They are also going to enroll their kids in school here while they are here. They are predicting no schools with be open for 2 months.

In-laws haven't made it here yet, but we expect them today. We will probably do the same thing with them - rent a u-haul to bring things here for storage.

Thank you all for posting the updates. Things have been crazy and I come here for the latest news. Y'all are awesome!

Jules said:
Update -

My sister-in-law and her family as well as her sister-in-law and family are with us now. They arrived about 1:30 this morning. They immediately came in and turned the news on. They had been without power since Sunday night and saw none of the devastation in New Orleans. All sat and cried. They had heard reports, but actually seeing the video footage really pushed them over the edge. How awful.

They suffered only minor damage - missing shingles and trees and branches down - no flooding. They are planning on staying with us for a while as they have no power or water. They are planning on renting a u-haul and going back to load up the high dollar stuff to put in storage here - especially with all the looters around. They live in a very nice neighborhood and are worried sick about people getting in there and doing some damage. They are also going to enroll their kids in school here while they are here. They are predicting no schools with be open for 2 months.

In-laws haven't made it here yet, but we expect them today. We will probably do the same thing with them - rent a u-haul to bring things here for storage.

Thank you all for posting the updates. Things have been crazy and I come here for the latest news. Y'all are awesome!

Thanks for the update. Bless you for opening up your home. Not sure where you will put everyone!!!

Sounds like Texas has come to the rescue - big time. Jules, glad you have your kin with you. It is a shame with all they have to think about that they have to worry about saving their stuff from looters. But they are fortunate that they have you to go to, many don't have that much. Getting their kids into school is a good thing too, they need something normal. Hugs to you all.

One good thing about taking the people from the arena to another one in Texas, those people can contact their loved ones to let them know where they are. And they are probably better set up for longer stays. Once the Red Cross, charities and churches kick in, most will be better taken care of.

My sister is a Public Safety Planner in DC. She was a disaster relief coordinator for the Red Cross for many years. She will be volunteering at FEMA on Friday.
She said the best thing any of us can do is to give money and volunteeer at a local Red Cross chapter if possible.
She also said this will cost more than the 9-11 response.

Great info JBean. Thanks to your sister and her good work.
I keep hearing this too: send money, money, money, and more money. No donation too small. Trucks are going to have a hard time getting in the area with donated goods. On the Red Cross site they explain that they give victims vouchers to go to stores to buy clothing and such in their own sizes and styles. It lets the victims have some snese of control in their rebuidling their life.

JBean said:
My sister is a Public Safety Planner in DC. She was a disaster relief coordinator for the Red Cross for many years. She will be volunteering at FEMA on Friday.
She said the best thing any of us can do is to give money and volunteeer at a local Red Cross chapter if possible.
She also said this will cost more than the 9-11 response.

Where are Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton now? Not in New Orleans...instead busy trying to trump Bush and the US government in Venzuela and Camp Casey.

lorann said:
Sounds like Texas has come to the rescue - big time. Jules, glad you have your kin with you. It is a shame with all they have to think about that they have to worry about saving their stuff from looters. But they are fortunate that they have you to go to, many don't have that much. Getting their kids into school is a good thing too, they need something normal. Hugs to you all.

One good thing about taking the people from the arena to another one in Texas, those people can contact their loved ones to let them know where they are. And they are probably better set up for longer stays. Once the Red Cross, charities and churches kick in, most will be better taken care of.

Family is family. Gotta do it. Don't know where we will put everyone, but we'll manage. Just got word we have 6 more coming. :eek: Not sure how long they all plan to stay, but they are welcome as long as they need it.

Yes, moving the people to the Astrodome will help a bunch. They have electricity and water. I'm just hoping they are able to get them all out before the flooding gets worse. There was talk on the radio and news stations here about sending the crusie ships in to NOLA as it's only about 3 blocks from the Superdome. Then they could ship them here to Galveston. Hopefully they will come up with something to get them out as quickly as possible. Poor people... I can't imagine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back