Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They're saying gas will soon hit $4.00. It was $3.19 here yesterday but only $2.61 at Walmart, with lines that stretched as far as I could see.

Pepper said:
I'm not a big Bush apologist, so I would say this about whoever is President - Republican or Democrat. Being President is a 24/7 job. There is no such thing as a vacation. He office follows him no matter where he is - in Crawford, on AF 1, in Vail, CO, or in Egypt! FYI, he as left TX and returned to DC, BUT the fact that he was in TX and also San Diego, doesn't diminish his ability to be in constant touch with whatever is going on in the world. Many of us work remotely from "virtual" offices, and we don't have nearly the communication devices available to the President of the United States!
Thank you, Pepper. :blowkiss: I hate seeing people turn this national tragedy into politics!!

DD thank you for such vital info!

DEPUTYDAWG said:
From an email at work:

1) The State of LA is NOT accepting any INDIVIDUAL assistance from any government, volunteer or civic organization. Any organization, individual or group who attempts to enter the State of LA without expressed authorization will be stopped and turned around at the State Lines. I urge you to communicate this to your respective volunteer and civic organizations. All requests for direct assistance, government, volunteer, civic or otherwise will be coordinated through SREMAC, The State Operations Center, and the State of Louisiana. Let's be clear that everybody understands that martial law has been declared in the devastated areas, and individuals who disregard and do not heed the instructions will be subject to detention or arrest. My official guidance is that is not the time to be trifling or arguing with the LA State Police at any border roadblock.

2) Those of you sheltering evacuees or who have evacuee hotels: The State of LA is NOT allowing any residents to return. Any person attempting to return will be turned around at the borders and sent back. That being said, I would urge each of you with evacuees in your hotels and motels to contact your local Red Cross rep and immediately prepare to get in the long term shelter business. Word this morning is it may be at least 21 days or longer before folks are allowed to go home. We have seen a continuing trend overnight and this morning where evacuees are leaving hotels and seeking public shelters as they are running out of money and resources. The Red Cross, to include the local chapters, are aware and are prepared to open, staff and support these shelters on a long term concept. For those of you who may open a shelter, be sure and look at the long term schedule of the facility, as we are having problems having to move folks around, and it is a logistical problem. Pick the right facility the first time.

3) Incidents of price gouging at hotels need to be reported immediately, direct to the State Operations Center at **********. You need to have the name of the facility, and the information on the evacuee or individual making the complaint. (If anyone needs that #, I will supply it depending on circumstances - they don't need a lot of other calls right now!)

4) Somehow the 911 systems in LA are rolling over to 911 emergency dispatch centers in TX. Several 911 Centers are getting 911 calls out of NO and other devastated areas. Have your 911 operators take the info just like they would if it was a local call....

Just FYI, what we're hearing here in our Districts....

Jules said:
Concerned - my sister-in-law and her family were in Hammond. Is there any way they can come to the Houston area? Perhaps I can help them out here. The roads heading this direction are fine.

I'd be happy to help if I can.

Thanks, I appreciate this and they may end up there. It is just we found a house that they can stay in rent free for months if they have to. One of the ladies has uterine cancer and we want her to be more comfortable than, possibly, a shelter.

Might be another way to help, wherever you are - conserve gas as much as possible, so it can be available and less expensive for everyone affected by the hurricane. Use the smaller car when there's a choice; consoladate errands into one trip; work from home if this is an option for you. Most of us can't save much, but if gas use drops even a few percent for all of us, that's enough to help.

tybee204 said:
Me to Kato. Im going to find a good used scooter today to get around on.

LOL ty I can just picture you on one. My BF says he's gonna get a hybrid. I told him stand in line. The waiting list is about 2 yrs. That is unless you are a celebrity.

concernedperson said:
Thanks, I appreciate this and they may end up there. It is just we found a house that they can stay in rent free for months if they have to. One of the ladies has uterine cancer and we want her to be more comfortable than, possibly, a shelter.

I understand. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Jules said:
Hey Kato! It was $2.82 out by us this morning.... :hand:

I'm glad I only live 7 miles from work. Good luck with your family and the situation you are dealing with.

kato said:
LOL ty I can just picture you on one. My BF says he's gonna get a hybrid. I told him stand in line. The waiting list is about 2 yrs. That is unless you are a celebrity.
Not anymore - unless where you are is very different, the dealership probably has a hybrid on the lot. If not, they can get one to you in a few days. I was even able to pick up a used one, and the lot I went to had at least 3 brand new ones right there, ready for a test drive. They're nice too. I've got the Honda Civic Hybrid, a 2003.

Details said:
Not anymore - unless where you are is very different, the dealership probably has a hybrid on the lot. If not, they can get one to you in a few days. I was even able to pick up a used one, and the lot I went to had at least 3 brand new ones right there, ready for a test drive. They're nice too. I've got the Honda Civic Hybrid, a 2003.

Thanks, for the info.. I'll tell him to check it out.

kato said:
I'm glad I only live 7 miles from work. Good luck with your family and the situation you are dealing with.

Mine is a 20 mile drive. :razz:

Thanks. It's gonna be crazy for a while I'm sure. We have more people on the way to our house. Looks like we're gonna have about 20 people. :eek:

Details said:
Might be another way to help, wherever you are - conserve gas as much as possible, so it can be available and less expensive for everyone affected by the hurricane. Use the smaller car when there's a choice; consoladate errands into one trip; work from home if this is an option for you. Most of us can't save much, but if gas use drops even a few percent for all of us, that's enough to help.
------
I am thinking the same.Lets all try walking to places close by instead of driving. I am proud of our Countrymen! A horrible disaster and we are rallying to take care of our own...Any family making it up to Ohio~let me know I have room!!

Miss Daisey said:
Where are Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton now? Not in New Orleans...instead busy trying to trump Bush and the US government in Venzuela and Camp Casey.
What do you want them to do? :confused:

Nore said:
------
I am thinking the same.Lets all try walking to places close by instead of driving. I am proud of our Countrymen! A horrible disaster and we are rallying to take care of our own...Any family making it up to Ohio~let me know I have room!!

As do I in Michigan, should anyone come that far.

I just talked to the gas station owner across the street. We have an account there for my work. He confirms he will be out of gas by the end of the day and MAY have more in 3 days. His price when I got here this morning was $2.47. I just filled up and it was $2.79. Two other stations within a mile of here are closed because they have no more gas. One is at Walmart. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime. My work pays for my gas. Let me tell you I am sooo thankful for that. Hubby is leaving his truck at work tonight and we are carpooling.

kato said:
Personally, I'd rather not see them on the airwaves.
....and I am in total agreement with that. I don't think that anyone wants to hear from them. I was just wondering why their names were brought to this thread in the first place. :confused:

jannuncutt said:
....and I am in total agreement with that. I don't think that anyone wants to hear from them. I was just wondering why their names were brought to this thread in the first place. :confused:

Who knows how these threads sometimes veer off topic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llamb79
Back