Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
tybee204 said:
Me to Kato. Im going to find a good used scooter today to get around on.
Not a bad idea. More and more locals who live in town are buying these little scooters. I'm too far out in the country to be able to have one. However, we sold our little Ford Ranger and now use a 4 wheeler to fix fence, move hay bales and get the horses in. If I lived in town, you bet I'd have a scooter. Once I'm home, I don't leave until I go to work, so I'm saving where I can.

kato said:
For those in the Houston area who might want to volunteer here is the local number for the Red Cross: 713.526.8300 and they will take down your info. such as what you want to do and go from there. The line is very busy.

Thanks for the number Kato. I found out that we do have a truck leaving Houston headed for Louisiana that is full of bottled drinking water. I was told that even though there is no way to get into NO, you can go through the northern part of the state. They plan on dropping the water off in Baton Rouge. I don't even know how far Baton Rouge is from New Orleans, Metairie, Slidell, etc. I've only driven through Louisiana, never spent any time there.

Ntegrity said:
Thank you, Pepper. :blowkiss: I hate seeing people turn this national tragedy into politics!!
My thoughts, exactly. Let's stick to the topic.

I saw Brett Favre on FoxNews today, and I am now confused. He said that the best thing to do was NOT donating money. He said that the people need food, water, generators, etc. He said that the donations may take a while to reach the right people. I hope that this is not true.

I would think that Red Cross and Salvation Army would get the money as soon as you place the donation on-line.

Does anyone know??

Jules said:
Mine is a 20 mile drive. :razz:

Thanks. It's gonna be crazy for a while I'm sure. We have more people on the way to our house. Looks like we're gonna have about 20 people. :eek:

Your an angel Jules!!! BTW, I just paid $2.69 for gas.

jannuncutt said:
....and I am in total agreement with that. I don't think that anyone wants to hear from them. I was just wondering why their names were brought to this thread in the first place. :confused:
I believe it may have been a reaction to a post about the President being on vacation when the poster thought he should have been in the White House at the time of the storm. The two mentioned seem to pop up and take charge whenever they can.

With all this confusion, the post about no one at all allowed into LA, being turned back at the borders, then the reports about not sending money, but supplies. They need to get their act together quickly. People are desparate. There's no water to drink and that is uppermost right now I would think.

nanandjim said:

I saw Brett Favre on FoxNews today, and I am now confused. He said that the best thing to do was NOT donating money. He said that the people need food, water, generators, etc. He said that the donations may take a while to reach the right people. I hope that this is not true.

I would think that Red Cross and Salvation Army would get the money as soon as you place the donation on-line.

Does anyone know??

The Red Cross is still asking for monetary donations.

Brett may be a pro ball player, but he is not a representative for them. He lost his house, and I feel for him, but he doesn't need to be spreading conflicting information like that.

nanandjim said:

Does anyone know??
The Red Cross still says money is the best way to help. This webpage (which is linked to from an update dated today) explains why. Maybe there are local agencies that can effectively distribute goods, but as far as the Red Cross is concerned, money is the best way to help. From what I understand, the money helps the Red Cross get those things Favre listed to people, but the goods donations are harder to sort, distribute, etc.

nanandjim said:

Does anyone know??
Yeah, the red cross is saying precisely the opposite. They can get the water, generators, etc. easily, with money. They were on TV last night, said there were 3 things they could use: Money, first and foremost, no donation is too small, all of it helps; Blood donations - Congress can't pass a bill and allocate a block of blood for the injured - this is pretty essential; and Volunteers - not to go out to New Orleans, but maybe just to put in some hours on their phone banks, taking donations, organizing supplies, helping to coordinate, etc. All of these can be done anywhere - you don't have to live near the impacted area to help.

NewMom2003 said:
Your an angel Jules!!! BTW, I just paid $2.69 for gas.
OT: but I'd give anything to find 2.69 gas here in San Diego - that'd be a record low for us! We've had 2.79 as about the lowest I can find here for months now.

Details said:
OT: but I'd give anything to find 2.69 gas here in San Diego - that'd be a record low for us! We've had 2.79 as about the lowest I can find here for months now.
Can't find gas at $2.69 here in New York, either. Don't ask me why. The last time that I checked, we are still connected to the rest of the country...:rolleyes:

Mayor: Katrina May Have Killed Thousands

NEW ORLEANS - The mayor said Wednesday that Hurricane Katrina probably killed thousands of people in New Orleans.

"We know there is a significant number of dead bodies in the water," and others dead in attics, Mayor Ray Nagin said. Asked how many, he said: "Minimum, hundreds. Most likely, thousands."

The frightening prediction came as

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/hurricane_katrina

I just heard a report from the owner of Acadiana Ambulance (Lafayette). He said they sent in 20 ambulances to help evacuate patients. They just got an order for 100 babies to be pick up from Touro Hospital.They are attempting to remove 2000 people from hospitals in the area.

He said it was so dangerous and is urging the President to send in the military. One of his ambulances were turned over by looters. He is afraid for his employees and the patients they are trying to get out of there.

Some of the Army helicopters are too heavy and can't land on top of some
the hospitals. The streets are not safe...........

concernedperson said:
I just heard a report from the owner of Acadiana Ambulance (Lafayette). He said they sent in 20 ambulances to help evacuate patients. They just got an order for 100 babies to be pick up from Touro Hospital.They are attempting to remove 2000 people from hospitals in the area.

He said it was so dangerous and is urging the President to send in the military. One of his ambulances were turned over by looters. He is afraid for his employees and the patients they are trying to get out of there.

Some of the Army helicopters are too heavy and can't land on top of some
the hospitals. The streets are not safe...........

This is a damn shame!!! These fools need to be rounded up and I don't what done to them. Man! LE doesn't have the time or manpower to put up with this crap!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dirkmoody
Back