Hurricane Maria - Sept 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ABC News correspondents observed widespread destruction in the town of Guaynabo, about 10 miles south of San Juan.Trees and power lines were downed, and storefronts and building facades had crumbled. Neighborhoods in Guaynabo were filled with waist-deep floodwaters and destroyed homes that were clearly not built to any kind of code.A Guaynabo resident who huddled in a bathroom with her family of six said told ABC News, "The winds took my home."Felix Delgado Montalvo, the mayor of Catano, some 7 miles southwest of San Juan, told ABC News on Wednesday there are hundreds of people in shelters and over 1,000 homes were damaged or destroyed in the communities of Juana Matos, La Puntilla and Puente Blanco. Most of the homes are flooded and are missing roofs or have collapsed walls, he said.About 80 percent of residences in the Juana Matos community were destroyed from storm surge and flooding. Homes there are filled with at least 3 to 4 feet of water, according to Montalvo.http://abcnews.go.com/International...-puerto-rico-power-striking/story?id=49971859
538417f3ac7e8c9be4166631a8bf04af.jpg
f0b9de86fee4c6375060c7688f0950d5.jpg
Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
BBMSadly, both mother nature's winds AND corruption took her home. (IMHO)We lived in San Juan, PR for a time while hubby worked on a major construction project (US firm) redesigning and rebuilding a large, not-to-code structure that had burned (tragically trapping and killing many people in the process). Even back then building inspectors were often tempted with bribes to look the other way, and building codes often ignored. We experienced the island's poor infrastructure firsthand, driving over main roads badly in need of repaving, passing bridges half-built to nowhere, having our water turned off increasingly during a summer drought (bailing water from our bathtub to flush toilets, etc--at one point water was only ON for 4 hrs/day), apt A/C turned off due to lack of water to operate compressors, etc. Hubby just shakes his head hearing that the whole island is now without electricity (it had its iffy moments even without the help of natural disasters back then).The land has a stunning natural beauty and many good people, but I would never again live there, personally. I fear for these hurting people, that they won't get the help they desperately need and deserve due to the corruption of a powerful few. (Remember Haiti?) Again, JMHO, and if you've ever lived there your experience may have differed from ours.

(PS. Sorry about the formatting--I have to have Javascript turned off in order to read here as it keeps crashing otherwise. That results in mashed-together posts with no paragraph breaks.)

Hurricane Maria Leaves Puerto Rico Facing Months Without Power
by Yuliya Talmazan, Ema Jimenez and Daniel Arkin

Millions of people across Puerto Rico woke up Thursday to a grim new reality.

Hurricane Maria, the most powerful storm to hit the U.S. territory in almost a century, ravaged the island, demolishing homes and knocking out all electricity. It could take half a year to restore power to the nearly 3.5 million people who live there.

The eye of the storm moved offshore overnight, but the danger remained Thursday: Intense flooding was reported, particularly in San Juan, where many residential streets looked like rushing rivers.

The storm has been blamed for the deaths of 17 people, including one in Puerto Rico, but many fear that toll could climb as authorities were beginning to assess the extent of the damage and search for survivors...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weathe...erto-rico-facing-months-without-power-n803326

"Afternoon models have majority split the gap between US and Bermuda... except for the CMC. If Jose dies off... high can build in and force west. But it is the outlier right now. Here are the 12z EURO/GFS/CMC runs (mid next week).*www.spaghettimodels.com*/ Mikes Weather Page APP"
0f54d1ddd196efe23ee4c8946cebc0e9.jpg

NHC 8:00 Update: winds have picked up to 125 mph and 955 mb.
2097668c56cb78be2d9312aea06e9eb2.jpg
ec7a546491cf3028b4373dfcb3694ea6.jpg
f18861655b162275413dbd079a3ed5b8.jpg

"Afternoon models have majority split the gap between US and Bermuda... except for the CMC. If Jose dies off... high can build in and force west. But it is the outlier right now. Here are the 12z EURO/GFS/CMC runs (mid next week).*www.spaghettimodels.com*/ Mikes Weather Page APP"
0f54d1ddd196efe23ee4c8946cebc0e9.jpg

CMC doesn't bode well for my home on southeast coast of NC.

Why does the one map have her moving towards the west but the cone map shows she is turning East.

Oh I see who is CMC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm overly tired, so maybe I should know this ... but what is CMC, please?

I hope your worry is not going to occur. We donat need to keep going through this, it must stay away, Please, please ... let it stop.

Why does the one map have her moving towards the west but the cone map shows she is turning East.

Oh I see who is CMC?

CMC is Canadian....sometimes called GEM.

I'm overly tired, so maybe I should know this ... but what is CMC, please?

I hope your worry is not going to occur. We donat need to keep going through this, it must stay away, Please, please ... let it stop.
Hey Spell- it's Canadian. Hope the next 24 hours tell us which way this is going.

"Maria nearing the Turks/Caicos. Little bump north last check... going to be close. Surge expected to be high. Winds are 125mph. Some weakening in forecast as shear/cooler waters ahead. Turn north expected soon. Some ensembles overnight still get close to NC north. More spaghetti split the gap between the US/Bermuda if playing the odds. Jose is keeping door open to the north. NHC is keeping 5-day cone wide. Low to the west could pull her in some... or if Jose stays strong he will pull her NNE (low and a low attract / low and a high retract).*www.spaghettimodels.com*/ Mikes Weather Page APP"
c0a381064a9588a92e90c4e8968454c4.jpg

Maria is now spreading its damaging winds, flooding rain and storm-surge impacts into the Turks and Caicos and southeastern Bahamas.

Rain and runoff are still contributing to a flood threat in Puerto Rico.

Maria is likely to bring high surf and rip currents to the U.S. East Coast into next week.

Hurricane Maria is currently located about 30 miles north-northeast of Grand Turk Island and is moving northwest at about 7 mph.

Maria continues to pound the Dominican Republic with heavy rain and strong winds. Wind gusts over 60 mph have been clocked along the northeast Dominican Republic coast, including in the resort city of Punta Cana.

Rainbands continue to soak parts of Puerto Rico even as the center of the hurricane moves away. The National Weather Service says that major flooding was ongoing in Puerto Rico on the Rio Grande de Loiza, Rio Grande de Manati and La Plata basins.

At least one rain gauge near Caguas, Puerto Rico, has reported more than 30 inches of rain from Maria.

Project path:

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL15_swath_1280x720.jpg

Maria is expected to slowly weaken over the next 48 hours and then will begin to weaken faster as it reached colder waters.

There is one guaranteed impact that the U.S. East Coast will see no matter what path Maria takes through next week: high surf and dangerous rip currents. The Southeast coast will see the building surf and rip currents starting later Friday. Those heading to the beaches should avoid entering the waters, and boaters should be aware of rough surf conditions.

surf-high-thu-am.gif

The latest forecast path from the National Hurricane Center (NHC) for Maria shows the center of the hurricane should remain off the Southeast coast during the next five days. That said, Maria still needs to be monitored closely for any possible forecast track changes that could result in additional impacts on the U.S. East Coast next week due to the complicated steering environment for the hurricane.

This complicated upper-level weather pattern includes a weakening Jose, a building upper-level high-pressure system, then an arriving southward plunge of the jet stream into the East.

The forecast for a more north than northwest motion this weekend is due to a weakness in the steering flow over the western Atlantic that a stalled Jose has a hand in creating.

maria_jose_friam.jpg

Jose's low-pressure center will continue to weaken into early next week, which will allow an area of high pressure to rebuild to the north and east of Maria. At the same time, a southward dip in the jet stream over the Lower 48 will slowly approach from the west.

Maria will likely take the alleyway in between those two large-scale weather systems. Where that so-called alleyway sets up will determine how close the center of Maria will be in relation to the East Coast as it accelerates north and then northeast next week.

At the moment, the latest forecast guidance suggests the center of Maria will stay off the East Coast of the U.S., but it's too early to be 100 percent certain.

There is also the chance that the area of high pressure over southeastern Canada may nudge Maria slightly to the northwest, which could allow minor impacts to be experienced along the Outer Banks of North Carolina midweek.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-maria-puerto-rico-hispaniola-bahamas-forecast

I so wish Archangel was able to send a quick check-in. I can only imagine it is terrible circumstances she/he is dealing with.

NHC Update 11:00: Maria is currently 958 mb with 125 mph winds. The NHC forecast has moved the northern point of the path to the west, pointing out the eastern seaboard from North Carolina and further north should continue to watch.
3f505763c7ab4fec19aed12d8cdb92c3.jpg
ac775eb7e439953ff82ac7550b3153b7.jpg
e7843bba681125b37ac4e810b87d3fd4.jpg
4235c9e9a252f809a5cd07050ce48b8a.gif

NHC 5:00 Update: Maria is 959 mb and 125 mph winds. NHC has continued the jog to the west. The spaghetti chart in the third pic shows more light grey ensemble runs closer to land. No clear direction yet....watching.
b6e602a2dfc290bc7f4b113c8bc42f92.jpg
7eace6f47c73b57c687f82300117d206.jpg
a6469b679a78068906a6caa043e445a0.gif

http://spaghettimodels.com

[h=1]Failing dam prompts evacuation as scope of Puerto Rico's disaster becomes clear[/h]
Puerto Rican officials rushed to evacuate tens of thousands of people downstream of a failing dam and said they could not reach more than half the towns in the U.S. territory as the massive scale of the disaster wrought by Hurricane Maria started to become clear on Friday.

Government spokesman Carlos Bermudez said that officials had no communication with 40 of the 78 municipalities on the island more than two days after the Category 5 storm crossed the island, toppling power lines and cell phone towers and sending floodwaters cascading through city streets.

Officials said 1,360 of the island's 1,600 cell-phone towers had been downed, and 85 percent of above-ground and underground phone and internet cables were knocked out. With roads blocked and phones dead, officials said, the situation may be worse than they know.

"We haven't seen the extent of the damage," Gov. Ricardo Rossello told reporters in the capital.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ico-hurricane-failing-dam-20170922-story.html

:(

Levi's update on Hurricane Maria.

https://youtu.be/quGqNe_Nzgo

Outer Banks NC and VA coast should keep and eye on it but Maria should steer just offshore and turn east just as the spaghetti maps show.

How much more can this island take? Without power, how do they let all these people know to evacuate?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/puerto-rico-s-failing-guajataca-dam-endangers-thousands-n804096
[h=1]Puerto Rico’s Failing Guajataca Dam Endangers Thousands[/h]Residents of the area were being ferried to higher ground in buses, according to the National Weather Service, and Puerto Rico's national guard had been mobilized to help the police evacuate all necessary areas.
Christina Villalba, an official for the island's emergency management agency, said there was little doubt the dam was about to break.
"It could be tonight, it could be tomorrow, it could be in the next few days, but it’s very likely it will be soon," she told Reuters by telephone on Friday night.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrueCrimeLuvr_89
Back