Hurricane Sandy updates

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Also I am far inland. Here is a map and I'm where the A is.

317cz8z.jpg

Friend in inland Delaware: "It's raining to beat the band and the winds are blowing," but nothing major yet.

Thinking of you all in the US, we are starting to feel the storm here in southwestern Ontario. Rain, wind and getting very cold right now. Our wind gusts are to get anywhere from 60-100 later tonight.

For those of you along the eastern seaboard, southeastern lower Michigan probably seems far-removed from the eye of the storm. There are now High Wind Warnings for two counties near Lake St. Clair, and a wind advisory for several other Michigan counties. There are steady winds of 25mph with gusts up to 40mph and increasing winds expected overnight. Intermittent light drizzle will eventually change to steady, heavy rain.

Wherever you live, please be safe and well as you ride out this montrous storm.

Meanwhile, in Seacaucus NJ, Matthew from Reuters is having a time of it. Awhile ago the fire alarms went off in his building and now the fire dept is there checking. Along with the winds and driving rain of course. And now....
Matthew Keys ‏@TheMatthewKeys
Two gigantic explosions outside my house. Transformers are blowing across the street. #Sandy #Secaucus

How are our DC area folks doing?

Very windy. I was in the kitchen with the window open, and all of a sudden it felt like the air got sucked out of the kitchen. :eek: (ETA: It was deafening, actually, for a few seconds -- like that deafening silence? Hard to explain but similar to riding in a vehicle when someone rolls one window down and the pressure gets off-kilter.)

Other than that, it's raining but no flooding yet where I am.

And the ground pork tacos were out of this world - I made them authentic-style, ala DC taco carts, with soft corn tortillas. Yummm... With homemade salsa from tomatoes/peppers I got at the farmers market. HOT. And guacamole. Now on to the bananas and chocolate ganache while we watch Karate Kid 2, hunkered down on the living room floor before we lose power.

That's my report. Not sure about others. :seeya:

Way-hay my furbaby just did his business now we really can "hunker down".

We should have started a WS drinking game. Every time the news says "hunker" we take a drink...We would all be one step away from alcohol poisoning by now.

Landfall approx 20 minutes, high tide approx 50 minutes

Just got text from daughter up in Northern VA. Her power is off and they are hunkered down in their basement. It just worries me so much. She is with her husband and of course, 4-year-old aughter. I know they will be okay. No flooding there but wonder how long this power outage will last. My daughter has been sick with a flu-like illness since Tuesday. Went to urgent care they told her she had a virus and did not give her anything. Now her congestion is getting into her chest. We are 3-4 hours away, but her inlaws are not too far away. I'm sure they can help each other if the power is not back on soon.

My daughter is right next to Ft. Lee near the G. W. Bridge and Hudson River. She thought it was snowing but they found out it was sea foam blowing in the air...and she's on the 29th floor!

Nursie, the winds have picked up considerably, and it will probably be raining steadily before long. You can probably expect the same within the next couple of hours. I hope we don't lose power. Be safe.

You stay safe too bette! I just saw we will be getting snow here in my area tonight and tomorrow~

I knew my hours of raking were stupid this weekend! All the leaves are pretty much back from where I put them in their assigned seats for the winter...

We should have started a WS drinking game. Every time the news says "hunker" we take a drink...We would all be one step away from alcohol poisoning by now.

LOL.....i had that question in my mind a few times today......I want to look up the definition of "hunker":waitasec:

October 29, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Great Lakes ships take refuge as wave heights could reach 38 feet

By Tom Greenwood
The Detroit News

Waves surge on Lake Huron: Along the waterfront in Port Huron on Monday, October 29, 2012

Strong winds churned the Great Lakes on Monday, driving waves on Lake Huron to 14 feet on their way to 26 feet or more, forecasters said, while the arrival of Hurricane Sandy on the East Coast canceled flights in southeastern Michigan.

The National Weather Service issued a storm warning for Lake Huron on Monday that called for wave heights of 26 feet, and possibly as high as 38 feet, as the winds peak around dawn Tuesday. Lake Michigan waves were expected to reach 19 feet, with a potential of 33 feet on Tuesday.

The forecasts brought shipping traffic on the Great Lakes to a near-standstill, with several vessels seeking shelter away from the peak winds...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121029/METRO/210290378#ixzz2Ajbb52hY

They have recovered Claudine Christian's body... :(

Sandy claims 'Bounty' off North Carolina

One of them -- the Bounty's longtime captain, Robin Walbridge -- remained missing as night approached Monday, said Lt. Mike Patterson, a Coast Guard spokesman. The body of the second, deckhand Claudine Christian, was found Monday evening, the Coast Guard announced.

More at http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/29/us/sandy-bounty-ship/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Just got text from daughter up in Northern VA. Her power is off and they are hunkered down in their basement. It just worries me so much. She is with her husband and of course, 4-year-old aughter. I know they will be okay. No flooding there but wonder how long this power outage will last. My daughter has been sick with a flu-like illness since Tuesday. Went to urgent care they told her she had a virus and did not give her anything. Now her congestion is getting into her chest. We are 3-4 hours away, but her inlaws are not too far away. I'm sure they can help each other if the power is not back on soon.

I hope she will be ok. I am not a Dr., but, my mom said give everything 7 days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
USE
Back