Hurricane Sandy updates

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We should have started a WS drinking game. Every time the news says "hunker" we take a drink...We would all be one step away from alcohol poisoning by now.

Good post. I once worked with some guys at a bank and they told me they had drinking parties when they were in college. They would watch Bob Newhart reruns (the one with Susanne Pleshette) and they took a drink every time she said "oh Bob". Thanks for making me smile Miss Sunshine!! I think we all need a bit of humor right now.

Waves anticipated to be over 30 feet in some areas...I don't know the map that well, but it looked like it would be that high around NJ, NY, LI, maybe even as far south as Delaware.

Sorry I can't be more specific...

Water at 11.25 feet in (?? somewhere in) Manhattan, which breaks all old records.

City manager of AC says "the absolute worst case scenario, have already called for National Guard and their humvees."

Transformers blown in lower Manhattan, and ConEd also turned off power. Very eerie to see Manhattan that dark...

Stay safe, all.

Best-
Herding Cats

You stay safe too bette! I just saw we will be getting snow here in my area tonight and tomorrow~

I knew my hours of raking were stupid this weekend! All the leaves are pretty much back from where I put them in their assigned seats for the winter...

Well you are all the way in MI, right? At least when you raked, you didn't think the wind would affect you. I laughed all Fri and Sat watching my two old lawn jockey neighbors fastidiously raking every single leave from their perfect lawns. KNOWING the hurricane was coming... WHY?! Why are old men obsessed with lawns anyway? Even if there wasn't a hurricane coming, the trees still have plenty of leaves to fall!! Things that make ya go 'hmmm' lol.

:giggle:

Just got text from daughter up in Northern VA. Her power is off and they are hunkered down in their basement. It just worries me so much. She is with her husband and of course, 4-year-old aughter. I know they will be okay. No flooding there but wonder how long this power outage will last. My daughter has been sick with a flu-like illness since Tuesday. Went to urgent care they told her she had a virus and did not give her anything. Now her congestion is getting into her chest. We are 3-4 hours away, but her inlaws are not too far away. I'm sure they can help each other if the power is not back on soon.

So sorry to hear about your daughter. In the spirit of SugarQueen and HC, if I can do anything to help, let me know. We're in Alexandria. However, we still have power - hope hers is back on soon....

Ok, Sandy, I'm ready for you to leave. I've had one too many panic attacks tonight lol.

AccuWeather.com ‏@breakingweather
RT @mtainsider: Wind gust of 100 mph prompted us to close the RFK Bridge at approx 7:30 p.m

Weather Underground ‏@wunderground
Battery now at 12.54, a solid 2 feet beyond what could possibly flood the NYC subway.

Sandy's winds are now blowing from the east-southeast, which will push water up the Hudson River, leading to higher surge as tide rises

I feel so guilty, it's beautiful where I'm at. A little gusty at times but blue skies and very few clouds in the day. It was about 58 degrees or so. Now I can see a big bright moon making it's way above the trees. I hope this will end for everyone real soon, and you get back to blue skies and a bright moon.

man deceased in NYC from tree falling on house...the weather channel

landfall made....

CNN Meteorologist Rob Marciano sure is easy on the eyes :blushing:

AccuWeather.com ‏@breakingweather
Incredible NYC area wind gusts right now: 79 mph at JFK, 78 at Newark, 68 at La Guardia, even 58 in sheltered Central Park.

11 minutes ago
12.75 feet at the Battery, looking like it will surpass 13 feet. #NYC

7 minutes ago
Battery now at 12.93 feet #NYC #Sandy

3 minutes ago
Storm tide up to 13.04 feet at The Battery #NYC #Sandy

High tide at The Battery is about an hour away.

And, in Seacaucus NJ....

Matthew Keys ‏@TheMatthewKeys
Several more large explosions outside. Blue light filling the sky, multiple transformers blow. #sandy

I'm amazed we still have power. Am watching JVM, loud and shouty, excellent storm coverage. Winds have quieted down a bit, but the rain is pouring down as it has been since last night. NG continuing coverage.

One comentator said the effects of the wind on him were like "having the snot" knocked out of him.

The worst to come in here will be at 2 AM this morning.

2 deaths reported one in Maryland a victim of a car crash and now one in NY a person was found under a tree. Please stay indoors people it's not safe yet. Especially at night where you can't see how high water is or if downed power lines are around. There is also a crane swinging away in NY, from the tallest apartment building rooftop, they have it blocked off but that is not going to be pretty if it falls.

CNN Meteorologist Rob Marciano sure is easy on the eyes :blushing:

One of my friends went out with him.

He's easy on the eyes in person too!

When he comes on I sometimes call her and say your boyfriends on! lol

Something on the order of 12+ feet at Battery Park (Manhattan, I think). Flooding at 148th St. as well. Debris all over.

MTA subways in NYC has gotten water into the tunnels and wires, and it sounds like sections will be down for a while. The trains are out of lower Manhattan, but some of the tracks are under water.

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadyW528