Hurricane Sandy updates

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Glad you made it. I would have been terrified. And why didn;t your employer let you off early? I mean, unless your job involves caring for others, this is a major weather event and very dangerous to be driving around in.

I am caring for others. In a group home, for people with intellectual and physical disabilities. It has to be staffed 24/7

Sandy wreaks havoc across Northeast; at least 11 dead

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/29/us/tropical-weather-sandy/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

STORY HIGHLIGHTS (with pics)
One New York hospital evacuates 200 patients; another turns to backup power

At least 11 U.S. deaths have been blamed on Sandy

"Extraordinary" amount of water in Lower Manhattan, Bloomberg says

Jersey Shore police: "The whole north side of my town is totally under water"

At least five people had been killed in storm-related incidents in New York state, including three killed by trees falling on homes in Queens and in the town of New Salem, near Albany, city and state officials said. Falling trees were also blamed for three deaths reported in New Jersey and one in Connecticut, authorities there told CNN.

In West Virginia, a woman was killed in a car accident after the storm dumped 5 inches of snow on the town of Davis, said Amy Shuler Goodwin, a spokeswoman for Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin's office.

And before hitting land, it overwhelmed the sailing ship HMS Bounty, a replica of the historic British vessel, off North Carolina. Fourteen of the ship's crew of 16 were rescued, but the body of one deckhand was found Monday evening and the ship's captain was still missing Monday night, the Coast Guard said.

Sandy had already claimed at least 67 lives in the Caribbean, including 51 in Haiti.

This may help some of you if your power goes out:

How to Use Facebook and Twitter Without the Internet

http://mashable.com/2012/10/29/facebook-twitter-sms/

As Hurricane Sandy makes its way up the Eastern Seaboard, many are without electricity. Without power you could lose your access to Internet via Wi-Fi and, potentially, access to mobile networks. If that happens, how can you still post on Facebook and Twitter to let your friends and family know that everything is fine? Or ask for help?

You can use good-old text messages.

and more.......

Checking in... Haven't read whole thread yet, but I am astounded at what I'm seeing so far.

We have come through with much less damage than the blizzard last Halloween. Power is on, we are all safe here in central Mass. My family on the coast and cape are all safe despite power outages and flooding.

Thinking of all our WSers in the hardest hit areas. And sending up many thanks for all of you who have been posting updates and pics all day and night. Amazing support from all, you're awesome! :blowkiss:

Has anyone heard any news about those poor little NICU and PICU babies and their rescuers?!!

Breaking news, CNN:

Residents evacuated from their homes in three towns in U.S. state of New Jersey after levee breaks, flooding streets.

Breaking news, CNN:

Residents evacuated from their homes in three towns in U.S. state of New Jersey after levee breaks, flooding streets.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A levee broke in northern New Jersey on Tuesday, flooding the towns of Moonachie, Little Ferry and Carlstadt with 4 to 5 feet of water in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, officials told Reuters.

"We are in rescue mode," said Jeanne Baratta, chief of the Bergen County Executive. There were no reports of fatalities as of yet, she said.

Baratta said the three towns had been "devastated" by the flood of water. The break comes after Sandy, which dropped below hurricane status just before it hit the U.S. East Coast on Monday, flooded parts of New Jersey and New York City.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-levee-moonachie-breakbre89t0l0-20121030,0,1924664.story

At least 16 dead after Sandy devastates New Jersey, swamps Lower Manhattan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ac52ba-2162-11e2-8448-81b1ce7d6978_story.html

...............At least 16 people in seven states died as a result of the storm, the Associated Press reported.President Obama declared a major disaster in New York and New Jersey.

By about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, Sandy was classified a post-tropical cyclone. Meteorologists said Sandy lost some characteristics of a tropical storm because of its collision with arctic air. But that collision also created an unsually large and dangerous storm system spanning nearly 1,000 miles. Fierce snowstorms dumped as much as 2 feet of snow across mountainous areas in southern Virginia, West Virginia and western Maryland, forcing officials to close Interstate 68. ..............

U.S. stock markets did not open Monday — their first weather-related closure in nearly three decades — and were to remain closed Tuesday as well.....

President Obama signed federal emergency declarations for eight states and the District of Columbia, permitting state officials to begin making requests for federal assistance, including manpower and equipment. The president also canceled campaign plans for Monday and Tuesday so he could remain at the White House and oversee the federal response to the storm.. ............

National Guard and swift water rescue teams evacuated more than 100 people in the city of Crisfield, another of the hardest hit areas in Maryland. Electricity had been cutoff entirely to the city, and some residents remained stranded in the dark, sheltering on the second floor of homes flooded with five feet or more of water, officials said........

Much more at link....

Superstorm Sandy: Disaster Zone as Nearly 5 Million Are Without Power

http://abcnews.go.com/US/superstorm-sandy-disaster-zone-million-power/story?id=17594562

.........Although the worst of Sandy is over, high winds are expected to continue whipping through the northeast today, but will weaken at a steady rate, according to a National Weather Service briefing at 5 a.m. EST. Maximum winds were reported to be near 65 mph.

Parts of the mid-Atlantic and northeast states also remained under flash flood watches and warnings. Normally dry areas near the coast could be vulnerable to potential flooding brought on by high tide, the briefing stated.

...........New York University Medical Center was among the millions left without power in the wake of Sandy. A full evacuation was under way after the hospital's back-up generators had failed.

Around midnight this morning, approximately 200 patients had been evacuated by private ambulance with assistance from the FDNY........

"The New York City subway system…has never faced a disaster as devastating as what we experienced last night," MTA Chairman Joe Lhota said in a statement.

It was not yet known when the city's subway system would be back up and running........more at link.....

So far, my area between DC and Richmond seems to be okay. Being between two major cities and no local TV, I have no idea what condition our area is in. I am sure there are trees down and some flooding on the Rappahannock. We had some pretty good wind gusts yesterday afternoon, but it all died down last night. We've had 5'' of rain so far and it continues to come down.

My back yard is off limits until the storm is totally over. We don't know yet if dead branches may still fall from our old oaks.

Everything is pretty much shut down for the day. I hope to learn more today.

The friends and family connections have pretty much shut down for now. They are in Central NJ and none of them have power. One friend's basement is flooded. Thank goodness they postponed major renovations!

I'm glad my ex-BIL and niece are visiting his parents from WVa. They are quite elderly and Grandpa has terminal cancer. He was able to get their old generator operating.

He really thinks he'll drive from Central NJ to western WVa today! Not likely!

DH and I are devastated looking at the pictures of our home states, NJ and NYC, NY. We know those areas like the back of our hands.

Just waking up in NJ here. Not much more damage I can see after neighbors tree crashed their pool.

I did stop using the back door to let my dog out. After the unfortunate news I heard earlier of a 62 year old man in Olney Pa. getting crushed to death by a tree after he went out his back door to let his dogs out. I started to use the front door as no trees there.

sad sad sad.

Once the sun comes up we will see all the damages everywhere.

It's begun pouring buckets of rain here again.

Keeping reading there is an expected surge @ 830 this morning for NYC and surrounding area. Everyone continue to stay safe!! :please:

Edited to clarify - storm surge flooding

Good morning all! It's great to see so many of you checking in. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Sandy's destructive path.

We dealt with Sandy beginning on Fri - Sun here in NC. The rain stopped Sunday but the wind is still blowing, just not as hard as it was. Our road flooded so we were stranded and our internet and satellite was out all weekend. We were lucky to escape Sandy's full wrath as we only had TS storm force winds.

I'm worried about possibly more levees breaking and also rivers cresting in the coming days. Please stay safe and be aware.

Hugs to all, wm

I really love my old trees, but, I just read of more deaths in N. Jersey due to fallings trees......wth?

In the 50's it was popular to plant "Silver Maples". Mine is huge !:what:

Christie is talking to Matt Lauer right now on the Today show......still upset about the Mayor of A.C. not following an executive order.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Hurricane-Sandy--176304231.html

article updated

Sandy slammed into the East Coast Monday evening, with damaging winds and flooding swamping the D.C. area and leaving hundreds of thousands of D.C. area residents without power again -- a threat that remains with continued windy conditions and saturated soil.

As windy conditions continue Tuesday, the threats of more fallen trees and tree limbs and more power outages remain, and when winds are as strong as 35 mph, it's too dangerous for utility crews to go up in their bucket trucks and make repairs.

I'm about to go out and about, but it seems relatively dry considering we are in a flood zone. Our power is still out.

Otherwise, we are all okay. Worried about folks in NY/NJ.

is anyone near Pittsburgh who can give me an update? i talked to my ex-bf and his gf last night and they told me they would call at 7am their time and nothing. im very worried about them. (love doesnt die, it evolves and adds new girlfriends...go figure LOL)

he sair the mountains would protect them, but im wringing my hands here...katrina knocked out all the cellphone towers, and im hoping its just that and they are ok.

is anyone near Pittsburgh who can give me an update? i talked to my ex-bf and his gf last night and they told me they would call at 7am their time and nothing. im very worried about them. (love doesnt die, it evolves and adds new girlfriends...go figure LOL)

he sair the mountains would protect them, but im wringing my hands here...katrina knocked out all the cellphone towers, and im hoping its just that and they are ok.

could be they are still sleeping.
I hope they are OK......nice that you care.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BUKANAS
Back