Hurricane Sandy updates

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Guys I made it home! That has got to be the scariest ride I have taken! Transformers were blowing as I was driving, trees came down, and power was out every where!

Happy Dance, Happy Dance....We are soooo glad that you made it!! :great: :great: :great: :great:

Sorry for the delay when I got home i had to take care of roofing that fell, and a window that was broken by trees. On my way home there were lines down on the road and I almost didn't see them, and just about drove through it until my lights shone on them.. Stay safe everyone.

I hope I'm not out of line here, but how come everything is focused on NYC? Shouldn't there be some more coverage of the outlying cities and towns too? I'm only going by my available cable networks here.... I'd like to know what happened to other states and towns!

P.S. I don't want to run me tablet battery down... you know how it is! lol
NY/NJ appear to have taken the brunt of the storm. Outlying locations are more difficult to cover in an event of this nature, because of transportation dilemmas, ability to connect live coverage, and that sort of thing. In the morning we should learn more. For now, some areas are covering themselves (see the silive.com - from Staten Island - link above) but others won't produce online product until they're properly staffed in the morning.

A good way to follow is via Twitter because locals have been tweeting and uploading pictures from their areas all over the region since Sandy started its way ashore.

Hurricane Sandy: More than 2 million already without power

Last Updated 9:41 p.m. ET

Hours before Hurricane Sandy makes landfall, utilities have already reported power outages for customers in several states. More than two million customers were without power in Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, and several other states.

Connecticut

Connecticut Light & Power (which offers outage reports in both map and table formats) says about 398,235 customers were without power Monday.

Delaware and Maryland

Delmarva reports over 84,000 customers lost power, with over 900 active outages.

BGE reports restoring service to over 38,000 customers Monday; about 102,852 are still without power.

PEPCO had at least 12,000 customers out, with over 500 active outages.

Over 17,000 outages were reported by Mon Power and Potomac Edison.

Read More...............

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57542015/hurricane-sandy-more-than-500k-already-without-power/

AP/ October 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
NJ nuclear plant on alert from rising waters

WASHINGTON The nation's oldest nuclear power plant is on alert after waters from a colossal storm reached high levels.

Oyster Creek in Lacey Township, N.J., was already offline for regular maintenance before Sandy, a superstorm downgraded Monday night from a hurricane, slammed the East Coast.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission says an "unusual event" was declared around 7 p.m. when water reached a high level. The situation was upgraded less than two hours later to an "alert," the second-lowest in a four-tiered warning system.

Federal officials say all nuclear plants are still in safe condition. They say water levels near Oyster Creek, which is along the Atlantic Ocean, will likely recede within a few hours

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...g-waters/?tag=scrollShell;housing-Latest-News

public transportation in Philly suspended until probably late tuesday afternoon

AccuWeather.com ‏@breakingweather
#Sandy Update: 17 inches of snow has fallen so far in Davis, WV. Much more to come.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Hurricane-Sandy--176304231.html

article updated

Sandy slammed into the East Coast Monday evening, with damaging winds and flooding swamping the D.C. area and leaving hundreds of thousands of D.C. area residents without power again -- a threat that remains with continued windy conditions and saturated soil.

As windy conditions continue Tuesday, the threats of more fallen trees and tree limbs and more power outages remain, and when winds are as strong as 35 mph, it's too dangerous for utility crews to go up in their bucket trucks and make repairs.

This may have been posted just unbeliveable:

500 people stranded in Atlantic City's barrier island as resort prepares to take full force of Sandy - and city mayor is blamed for failing to evacuate properly
By Leslie Larson
PUBLISHED: 18:33 EST, 29 October 2012 | UPDATED: 20:20 EST, 29 October 2012

Officials frantically tried to reach hundreds of residents trapped in Atlantic City on Monday but as Sandy is set to make land, the stranded locals will now have to stay put and hope for the best.
Rising tides put much of the town under water as the city braced for the impact but New Jersey Governor Chris Christie blamed the city's mayor Lorenzo Langford for not taking precautions and forcing residents to move inland.
Emergency personnel spent much of the day trying to reach as many as 500 locals, who were trapped on the barrier island, but as the city now prepares to take a direct hit from the storm, officials have suspended operations until the storm passes

During a press conference at 5:30pm, shortly before the storm was set to hit, Christie expressed his frustration that residents had been left behind.

'It shouldn't have been an option,' Christie said on Monday, about the estimated 3,000 residents who on the island either at home or in evacuation centers.
The Republican Governor blasted Atlantic City's mayor for allowing people to stay in shelters on the barrier island rather than moving inland.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-evacuate-properly.html?ICO=most_read_module

32 minutes ago
NYC ARECS ‏@nycarecs
#FDNY major fire in Breezy Point #NYC whole block is expanding but no water in the hydrants, will have to attempt to draft from ocean #sandy

5 minutes ago
NYC ARECS ‏@nycarecs
Convoy of US Army with trucks arrived to help! Whole block on fire, 15 houses in Breezy Pt #NYC #FDNY cant get in and hydrants dry. #sandy

A uncontrollable inferno is underway in the Queens borough of New York City. FDNY Engine 329 is reporting numerous homes burning that are inaccessible due to flooding. Tower Ladder 124 reporting two full blocks of homes on fire. Wind observations at the time of this post indicate southeast winds sustained at 50 MPH gusting up to 60 MPH.

http://www.texasstormchasers.com/inferno-underway-in-queens-new-york/

Guys I made it home! That has got to be the scariest ride I have taken! Transformers were blowing as I was driving, trees came down, and power was out every where!

Can you pretty please call in tomorrow? Stay home!!!! Glad you made it safe ;)

Been reading all day....and to tell you all truth...I am proud to be considered a WSer. You all are some very inspiring people. Glad to be a part of the "family".

I totally agree! This time its not 'my' storm, but WS is always a family, especially in a crisis.

Be safe all...Be safe. let us know how its going if you can. if not, we are thinking about yall. all of us, all over the WS world.

Sorry for the delay when I got home i had to take care of roofing that fell, and a window that was broken by trees. On my way home there were lines down on the road and I almost didn't see them, and just about drove through it until my lights shone on them.. Stay safe everyone.

Glad you made it. I would have been terrified. And why didn;t your employer let you off early? I mean, unless your job involves caring for others, this is a major weather event and very dangerous to be driving around in.

AP/ October 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
NJ nuclear plant on alert from rising waters

WASHINGTON The nation's oldest nuclear power plant is on alert after waters from a colossal storm reached high levels.

Oyster Creek in Lacey Township, N.J., was already offline for regular maintenance before Sandy, a superstorm downgraded Monday night from a hurricane, slammed the East Coast.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission says an "unusual event" was declared around 7 p.m. when water reached a high level. The situation was upgraded less than two hours later to an "alert," the second-lowest in a four-tiered warning system.

Federal officials say all nuclear plants are still in safe condition. They say water levels near Oyster Creek, which is along the Atlantic Ocean, will likely recede within a few hours

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...g-waters/?tag=scrollShell;housing-Latest-News

Great.

Daily Mail again with an abundance of pictures, many of them new.

More DM pics, many of these from Atlantic City.

Those pictures are incredible. I will tell ya', I just don't understand people running around in this stuff. I don't know which is scarier, this or a tornado. I would just be so afraid of being sucked by the storm surge into the swirling, gray and endless ocean, of 18 foot waves. The immensity and terror of the sea at such a time. Ooohh!!!! I cannot believe people who stand so close to the waves at a time like this or who even wade around in scary flood waters. I don't get it!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GemGemma01
Back