Hurricane Sandy updates

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Coast Petty Officer 3rd Class David Weydert says a Coast Guard plane has since made contact with the ship which is taking on water and is without propulsion.

Meanwhile Lt. Junior Grade Brendan Salerno, with the U.S. Coast Guard, told CBC News: 'We have a Coast Guard Hercules C-130 aircraft on scene with the vessel. Right now the vessel has decided to abandon ship so right now we're working on rescue ideas.

'We're trying to get one of our cutters underway and we're sending out some of our helicopters to try and get people that way as well.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...icane-Sandy-approaches.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Hurricane Sandy forces HMS Bounty evacuation

Crew members safe in two life-rafts off North Carolina coast

....."We have two H-60 helicopters en route to attempt to hoist the 16 people on board the helicopters and bring them back to shore," Campbell said Monday morning.

The crew decided to abandon ship after getting caught in 5.5-metre seas off Cape Hatteras and the U.S. Coast Guard dispatched a Hercules C-130 aircraft to try to get the crew to safety.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/10/29/ns-hms-bounty-hurricane-sandy.html

(eta - jinks, Peliman!)

Some good reading was Sebastian Junger's "Perfect Storm", about the '91 storm, the sinking of the Andrea Gailout of Gloucester, MA, and a number of other stories included about rescues. particularly harrowing was the story of the Satori and crew (I think out of NJ) who were rescued off ship by CG helicopter.

What these rescuers go through to save people is unbelievable. So to deliberately take a shop out like that, knowing what was coming, is unbelievably stupid.

Daylight finally, and it's that weird light that always comes before a big storm.

Regarding the HMS Bounty....

The law of the sea is - you abandon your ship, it's up for grabs. The owner will probably go back and get it or send someone - or if someone else gets it, they will more than likely return it out of courtesy. BUT, I think it should be kept by whoever finds it. What an idiot captain. My husband is a licensed captain so I feel I can say that.

The law of the sea is - you abandon your ship, it's up for grabs. The owner will probably go back and get it or send someone - or if someone else gets it, they will more than likely return it out of courtesy. BUT, I think it should be kept by whoever finds it. What an idiot captain. My husband is a licensed captain so I feel I can say that.

News said it was taking on water, wonder if it was listing or ready to sink?

Wonder what they expected? Raise the sails and travel 85 MPH out there?

The 180-foot, three-masted ship, which launched in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, in 1960, was made famous in a 1962 movie Mutiny on the Bounty that starred Marlon Brando. It has also appeared in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest starring Johnny Depp.

My dad was a licensed captain too (fishing not sailing tho), so I also feel no hesitation in calling this captain a selfish idiot.

An article from 2000 about the Satori rescue. I can't imagine the nerves of steel these rescuers need.

I'd forgotten that during another rescue that day, a coast guard rescue swimmer was lost at sea, after the helicopter had to be abandoned at sea.

The Captain of the bounty better hope nothing like that happens when they come to pick his arse up out of the water.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20131906,00.html

I'm in Mid Hudson Valley, NY ( Orange County) about 10 minutes from NJ or PA.

My cousin, who I have been on the phone with several times yesterday (she worries about me) is in Warwick. She was saying that they a only just finishing up fixing the roads from the last Halloween storm and Irene. Stay away from big trees!

It's significantly windier here than yesterday, I slept like a rock after DE Gov. Markell closed the roads in DE and I found out I can't go to work today. I'm only a contract worker right now, so that means I don't get paid... And with all the (unpaid for me) holidays coming up, it hurts financially, but I guess it's for the best. Sigh...

Can finally see out. Steady rain with some gusts. I'm in Cherry Hill.

Stay safe people...

No red or pink skies here !! Just gray, windy, tons of leaves and yes big trees :what:.

Also just bought a beach house here in NJ :please:.

Riding this one out inland at 1st home and hoping for the best at the shore :what:

Live coverage

[video=youtube;yXMU2qwCVag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXMU2qwCVag&sns=fb[/video]

Good morming everyone....:wave: Hope everyone is safe.

:furious: My family refuses to leave. I have a sister and a brother who live in Long Beach. They are in A Zone in Long Beach, Long Island, NY. Their town was told to leave yesterday. Their bridges into the town was closed southbound at 4pm yesterday. Northbound is open for people who decide to leave. I'm so nervous for them. My other brother is in Far Rockaway, NY which is next to Long Beach. He lives in a Apt right on the water by the Atlantic Beach bridge. He refuses to leave even when buses came to evacuate the residents there.

I live in Sufflok County, NY. My daughters are with me along with their boyfiends, children and our dogs.

The storm is suppose to hit us at 6pm today. :please:

There is nothing I can do but pray for them. :please::praying:++

No red or pink skies here !! Just gray, windy, tons of leaves and yes big trees :what:.

Also just bought a beach house here in NJ :please:.

Riding this one out inland at 1st home and hoping for the best at the shore :what:

Are you at the beach house now??? Stay safe.

Just rain here right now in Alexandria VA....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cweiss72
Back