I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications for my subscriptions - please help!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No, JG, no emails today so far. And am going to try and remember to scroll to the second button for a while and see if it changes anything. Doubt it will.

Well, I tried your suggestion for this thread but did not receive a notification of your reply just now. :(

JerseyGirl said:
Unfortunately, this has never worked for me either, regardless of which notification I choose. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Did you click on "GO" after you changed your notifications?

Eagle1 said:
None of my Subscription List boxes ever had anything in them. When I tried checking them just as an experiment, they didn't stay checked once the page was turned.

If that page isn't your problem, I'd suggest, although I'm a bit tech-challenged, fwiw, un-doing and re-doing all that you said you listed. The timing of it may have been a problem with WS. Not claiming to know, of course. I hate firewalls, always interrupting what I'm doing to ask if I want some unfamiliar email address blocked.

The boxes don't stay checked. You only check the boxes if you want to change them. After you select the change you want to make, click "GO" and they will be set, and the checks will disappear.

I wish I had the courage to read this thread from the beginning, it's so hard to separate the problems.

My Windows Firewall is on. It never asks me any questions, Eagle. Probably figures I won't know the answer, lolol!

Everybody please meet Teedie2, (a/k/a some other names various places.) Thanks for coming over to help us, Teedie2 ! I knew you'd know things. Going to stay with us till we solve this?

I was out doing some errands today so I would have all evening for WS, thinking we were all fixed up, no such luck, I'll be darned.

I retrieved this morning's PM which, get this, girls, was sent through FFJ! Who wants to ask Tricia about this? I tried already to copy/paste into a PM for the 3 of you plus Camper, and it said names not found. I guess I didn't use Upper Case for first letters or SOMETHING. Email me, lesliebuc@aol.com for it if you don't get a PM.

I hate to do a Preview Post, but if you say so, Florida, and my Notification Type is checked, Teedie. I'm not going to try to rate the thread, below that. There's 5 possible grades we could give it. Pretty soon we'll start another one titled just "Nofications", when we've solved the problem, for those that come after us pioneers, right? Sorry for the repeat if I already said that. Eagle

See the four or five things at the bottom left of the page, where one says "HTML is Off." What's that mean?

Oh, about the Firewall, I was referring to Norton's. The PM didn't go out, says these names "Not Found", probably because I updated Settings, Index, Security settings, used "promt" in a lot more places. Email me where to send yours in case it takes a while to get that straightened out, okay?

From MY Subscription Email:
Subject: Reply to post 'Questions For SQV'
From: "Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community Mailer" <wbsleuth@xmission.com>
-----------------------------------------------------------------
From YOUR PM Notice EAGLE:
Subject: New Private Message at Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
From: "Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community Mailer" <wbsleuth@xmission.com>

SO THEY ARE COMING FROM THE SAME PLACE, XMISSION

Therefore, the problem is with XMISSION if you ask me.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Eagle, I read your PM. If you sent it to multiple names, you have to separate them with a colon, not a comma. I found that out the first time I used multiple names. Said the names were not found. Also have to type the names as they appear, with the correct upper and lower case. I did not put spaces between the names, i.e., Eagle1;JerseyGirl;Camper;Florida.

I received one subscription notice at 5:22 pm today for the SQV thread. Not receiving any PM notices. I had rec'd the previous one at 9:22 pm last night for that SQV thread.

HTML is Off for me too. Maybe this forum just doesn't use HTML, whatever that is, lol. Seems to me I read that somewhere.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't Preview the Posts Eagle, I just tried scrolling down to the "other" Submit Reply when I remember!!

Okay, thanks. My multiple-recipient PM worked when I put SemiColons instead of Comma's between the names, and I think I did also put a space.

I'm also registered at FFJ, I forgot to tell you girls till now, so does that explain why my notification of a WS PM came from there? And does that explain why I've had about 4 notifications during the last 3 weeks? But you've now had a couple of notifications too. So there goes that theory? I for one never before paid any attention to the "details" link. Thanks, Teedie2, for the PM'd samples, I've printed out to compare a few and see if there's any new clues.

We now know who sends out emails from FFJ. What about from WS? Anyone know who it is here at WS? Same person by any chance?

Yesterday I set my notification for this thread to Daily. This morning, sure enough, I received ONE email, containing 22 posts. Did Print Preview, and it was 10 pages long!

JerseyGirl - thanks for not biting my head off for asking if you had clicked on "Go" (I figured you had, anyway). :)

Teedie, that is the kind of PM Camper used to receive and now they seem to be changed to the Instant ones. She is not on AOL. I wish we could have read her post. When she was describing her notices had multiple or all the posts in them, I had no idea what she meant.

Jersey, I started getting the few emails I have (3) after I changed my settings as described in my PM to you. Agree with your hesitation.

I am going to change this thread to Daily and see what happens.

Teedie did you put ALL your threads on Daily and the default under Emails from the Forum options on Weekly?

teedie2 said:
Yesterday I set my notification for this thread to Daily. This morning, sure enough, I received ONE email, containing 22 posts. Did Print Preview, and it was 10 pages long!

JerseyGirl - thanks for not biting my head off for asking if you had clicked on "Go" (I figured you had, anyway). :)
Oh, no problem! You're only trying to help. I would never bite your head off for that. Besides, sometimes it's the littlest thing that we overlook that would fix the problem.

BTW, I tried to set it for daily notification as well, and nothing ever came of that either. Oh well. Either I'm really stupid or this has nothing to do with my computer or settings. Both are possible. :D

Florida said:
Teedie, that is the kind of PM Camper used to receive and now they seem to be changed to the Instant ones. She is not on AOL. I wish we could have read her post. When she was describing her notices had multiple or all the posts in them, I had no idea what she meant.
See, Camper is not on AOL, and all of a sudden, her e-mail notifications changed too. They didn't stop completely but they changed. So that would indicate that something weird is going on at this site or in their software. When I was trying to post here earlier, I made a typo, and my delete key wouldn't work!!! :waitasec: I tried it out in e-mail, word processor, etc., and it worked everywhere else but here. It might have nothing to do with anything but ... lol - I really just don't get it.

Will someone please send me a PM? (I hope I'm not catching this, too!)

IS this contagious?

Okay, it is DEFINITELY not my computer. I just got a notification from our thread here, (Teedie's message above). It's the first e-mail I've gotten in weeks from WS. I did nothing today to try to fix this.

I am SO HAPPY to at least know that it's not something that I can fix. I checked everything I could think of, and was starting to become very frustrated!

Ten minutes prior, I also received a bounced-back e-mail from an address I not only hadn't sent e-mail to, it's an address that I don't even know. This has happened from time to time, and I don't know why.

I didn't delete the e-mail from my inbox. It's been so long, I just want to leave it there so I can look at it once in a while ... just in case I don't get anymore! :)

Jersey, congratulations. Yes, I have been leaving them in my Inbox too, just in case I need to refer to them. So you have not changed any settings, or done anything lately. Are you on Instant notification or Daily?

Was that a notice from MailerDamon? And it was not an email you sent? They are the ones that return mail for AOL, need to read down on the message to see who it went to etc. I assume you did that?

WOW, I have never rec'd a notice from"our" thread. You were not signed on to WS, therefore got an email?

Wel, so far as receiving email notifications of posts in threads you are subscribed to:

Control Panel
Settings & Options
Edit Options:
Messaging & Notification
Default Thread Subscription Mode:
>>> drop down box to select type of notification you want

Private Messaging:
>>> check "Enable Private Messaging"
>>> check "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages"
>>> check (if you desire) "Show New Private Message Popup"
.........If you have popups blocked, this won't work unless you enable popups on WS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Next is:

Control Panel
Subscribed Threads
List Subscriptions
Subscribed Threads in Folder:
>>>The right-hand column is where you can set your notification choice for each thread, if you want to change it to other than the Default setting.
>>> I only have 3 now, they were all set for "Daily" - which worked. I have now changed one to "Weekly" in the right-hand column by:

Clicking on the box by the name of the thread, which places a green checkmark in the box.
Scroll on down to the bottom of this subsection, where it says "Subscribed Threads: Move to Folder" with a check mark following.
Click on the check mark, and there is a drop-down list, and you click on whatever type of notification you want to receive for that particular thread.
....if the thread was previously set on "Daily" and you want Instant notification, click on "Instant".

Then you click on "GO" ..
After your screen refreshes, the check mark will be gone, and the word beside the empty box will say Instant, instead of Daily as it did originally.
This is just an example for the purposes of this post.

Then, if you make a post in that thread, down at the bottom of the page, you will see "Additional Options", and Thread Subscription, Notification Type: and that will show you what your notification selection is.

Also, if you want to change your notification type, you can change it in that box before you submit your reply, and it will change the notification selection without having to go through UserCP as above.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TawnyTRC
Back