I got my hair cut for Locks of Love today - Can you too?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You're a dear, SD. My prayers and hopes for you. Good suggestion about the hair. Mine is waist length, so I will do this. Thanks for passing it on!!!

You're a dear, SD. My prayers and hopes for you. Good suggestion about the hair. Mine is waist length, so I will do this. Thanks for passing it on!!!

And it is the perfect time ,right before summer! :rocker:

Congrats on your 9 years!!! I'm hit 8 years in July.

I started growing my hair out for Locks of Love last month.

Many of you know I have non-Hodgkins Lymphoma that's been in remission for about 9 years now. What you may not know is that for the last couple of years I've been letting my hair grow. Since I'm on SSDI now there's no reason to keep it job friendly.

Today I finally had the requisite ten inches (that's hair ladies keep your dirty minds clean.) to send to; http://www.locksoflove.org/

If you have long hair and don't mind getting it cut short then you can help a lot of kids;

WHAT IS LOCKS OF LOVE?

Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers....

From what I've been told by the hair stylists the charity is really hurting for donations of hair. Read the rules for what they need. I have brunette and gray hair, they'll take out the gray hairs and sell them elsewhere. That helps to defray the costs.

So my hair is now in the mail headed to the Locks of Love headquarters and will be on some kid's head in the future and that makes me feel pretty cool. (patting myself on my back).

It really will make you feel good. The tips I was given is to keep it conditioned and clean. For chicks, don't color your hair or bleach it for the best quality. (They will take colored hair though) So if you have short hair let it grow. If you have long hair get it cut and send it in. Just think of the smiling child you'll be responsible for. :great:

Steely, you had long hair? I confess I love guys with long hair. Now I think you are even more awesome than I thought you were before. Now I'm imagining you with your long locks flowing in the wind as you ride your emu into the sunset!

Thanks for posting this link. I have long hair and usually just trim it occasionally to keep it from getting too long. I think I will let it grow now and cut it and send it when it is long enough.

What a wonderful thing you and anyone else have done. I plan to do the same with my daughters once it gets a little longer, even though its a pain right now, always knotted together but I think we can hold out for Locks of Love. She was trying to grow it out like Rapunzel but the brushing has gotten ridiculous and time consuming.

You rock SD! If I wasn't losing my hair (gosh it's getting thin), it would be an amazing thing to do. It's a trait in my family -and pretty soon I'll be doing the donald trump comb over!

Big hugs to ya!

Mel

Kudos to you, Steely!...its an awesome thing to do and knowing that its going to making these kids feel just that more "normal" is worth every bit of headache or heartache of growing it out and then giving up your long locks of hair you've worked hard to get..

being a hairstylist I do this often for the clients..as in I myself keep the locks and send them in to ensure that they do get sent.. I've also twice grown mine out and cut it off to give to locks of love..

I not only live here by St. Jude, but my sister also works there and has for well over a decade now..so, i am able to see with my own eyes just what a difference that these locks of love make for these children.. its one of the several truly amazing things about St Jude that sets it apart from any other hospital in this world..

its truly a blessing to see this completely self sufficient(via donations as well) hospital work the truly amazing, life altering miracles that they do each and every day of the year..

again kudos, Steely!

Congrats on your 9 years!!! I'm hit 8 years in July.

I started growing my hair out for Locks of Love last month.

BBM

:woohoo:

Steely, you had long hair? I confess I love guys with long hair. Now I think you are even more awesome than I thought you were before. Now I'm imagining you with your long locks flowing in the wind as you ride your emu into the sunset!

Thanks for posting this link. I have long hair and usually just trim it occasionally to keep it from getting too long. I think I will let it grow now and cut it and send it when it is long enough.

When you're ready to be harvested go to a place like SuperCuts. Call ahead and make sure they know how to prepare the hair for shipping. It would be a shame to grow it out and then have it be useless to them.

What a wonderful thing you and anyone else have done. I plan to do the same with my daughters once it gets a little longer, even though its a pain right now, always knotted together but I think we can hold out for Locks of Love. She was trying to grow it out like Rapunzel but the brushing has gotten ridiculous and time consuming.

I have no idea how you chicks deal with long hair. I'm a wussy and feel a lot better without my tresses. I find myself doing some of the things I used to to do. During the day I'd run my fingers through the long hair to keep it from knotting. It would get under shirts I'd put on and I'd have to pull it out. When I sat in the car I'd have to pull it up or I'd lean back on it and be uncomfortable. So now I do that to air. I'm sure I'll figure out eventually that I don't have any reason to do it anymore. :giggle:

If your daughter's hair knots up try some conditioner. I'm sure you've done that, but I just want to remind others who want to donate, that hair care is important. I was told my hair was so well taken care of that they didn't need to trim any split ends.

It's gonna be weird having my hair dry a lot faster.

You rock SD! If I wasn't losing my hair (gosh it's getting thin), it would be an amazing thing to do. It's a trait in my family -and pretty soon I'll be doing the donald trump comb over!

Big hugs to ya!

Mel

BBM

That's not a comb over. It's a dead puppy on his head.

I'm so glad to hear that so many people already do this and that so many plan to do it too. :hug: If you have friends with long hair let them know about this, or even friends with short hair who'd be willing to grow it out.

You all :rocker:

I only did it once. The people who've done it over and over and have taught their kids to do it too are the really special folks.

Just a reminder, they are desperate for hair donations, so pass the word around. :hug:

I must say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all donations of hair. My daughter who is 2 has an autoimmune disorder called alopecia universalis. She is completely bald with no hair or eyebrows. She had hair, eyebrows and eyelashes, but lost them all at 18 months. I took her to Children's Hospital and she was diagnosed from the head pediatric dermatologist. She recommended Locks of Love for her before she starts school. I try to look at the positive side of this and realize she can be a brunette, blonde or redhead! Her choice!! So THANK YOU so much for any donations, as they will help people such as my daughter. I will also tell you that Locks of Love DOES CHARGE for the prosthesis, it is not free. I was advised my insurance MAY pay for it, but lots of time you have to fight it. I was also told about Hair Club for Kids, which you can also make donations to, and this is completely FREE for any qualifying child with a medical condition such as my daughter. Once again, thank you! :)

I must say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all donations of hair. My daughter who is 2 has an autoimmune disorder called alopecia universalis. She is completely bald with no hair or eyebrows. She had hair, eyebrows and eyelashes, but lost them all at 18 months. I took her to Children's Hospital and she was diagnosed from the head pediatric dermatologist. She recommended Locks of Love for her before she starts school. I try to look at the positive side of this and realize she can be a brunette, blonde or redhead! Her choice!! So THANK YOU so much for any donations, as they will help people such as my daughter. I will also tell you that Locks of Love DOES CHARGE for the prosthesis, it is not free. I was advised my insurance MAY pay for it, but lots of time you have to fight it. I was also told about Hair Club for Kids, which you can also make donations to, and this is completely FREE for any qualifying child with a medical condition such as my daughter. Once again, thank you! :)

BBM

Dang! I wish I'd known that this morning! :banghead:

BBM

Dang! I wish I'd known that this morning! :banghead:

If it makes you feel any better, the dermatologist recommended Locks of Love because she said their products are made SO MUCH better. If your insurance will pay for it, (and she said she would help with any recommendation letters) this is obviously the best product. :) If your insurance doesn't pay for it, (dang insurance companies) Hair Club for Kids is a great second choice as you don't have to fight the battle with insurance and get a decent product for free just for sending your recommendation letter and diagnosis straight to their headquarters. Still a wonderful and thoughtful donation either way! :)

You are a pretty awesome guy Steely. What an unselfish thing to do. Like a poster above I love long hair on men. I was a teen in the 70.s and long hair was in. Bet you are handsome either way. Congratulations on your 9 years of remission.

If it makes you feel any better, the dermatologist recommended Locks of Love because she said their products are made SO MUCH better. If your insurance will pay for it, (and she said she would help with any recommendation letters) this is obviously the best product. :) If your insurance doesn't pay for it, (dang insurance companies) Hair Club for Kids is a great second choice as you don't have to fight the battle with insurance and get a decent product for free just for sending your recommendation letter and diagnosis straight to their headquarters. Still a wonderful and thoughtful donation either way! :)

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

You are a pretty awesome guy Steely. What an unselfish thing to do. Like a poster above I love long hair on men. I was a teen in the 70.s and long hair was in. Bet you are handsome either way. Congratulations on your 9 years of remission.

Why am I finding out chicks dig long hair AFTER I got it cut!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

:giggle:

Why am I finding out chicks dig long hair AFTER I got it cut!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

:giggle:

IDK. I guess you can start growing it again and start all over. You just proved that beauty is more than scalp deep. Chicks love that too.

I did this about a year ago. I hadn't cut my hair in years and I was afraid to to so. Once it's cut you can't put it back and I couldn't decide on a hairstyle so I just kept putting it off.
I heard about Locks For Love and that gave me the push. I had about 13 inches cut off and I sent it to them. You are right, it is a good feeling. Since it took about 5 years for my hair to get that long it may be a while before I can do that again. My hair doesn't seem to grow too fast I have a ways to go.

I've been growing my hair out for Locks of Love for almost 2 years now. I'm not sure it's ever been as long as it is now--about two weeks ago, I was really miserable because of the length & weight after I washed it(I rarely use a blow dryer) and I know it's not long enough for a donation yet. I got a 'turbie towel' which has helped, and now I think I might look into some other organizations, such as The Hair Club for Kids.

I can't believe how much less shampoo and conditioner I use now. Also, my hair drys a lot faster.

I 've been growing mine for 2 yrs to,its pretty long,but I want it longer before I cut it.
I want to say something,but I don't want people to take it the wrong way-LOL
I have natural blonde hair and I always think how women love blonde hair.So my dream was to give a woman/child who has always wanted blonde hair my hair!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hyacintha
Back