Found Deceased IA - Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif, 18, Des Moines, 17 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So, if I understand correctly, the last ping was located in Prospect Park. This is about 4 miles from Merle Hay Mall. He left the mall (Target) around 5:30 and the last ping was between 5:33-5:47. That seems to indicate, assuming he was with his phone, that he got a ride from someone or took the bus. (Speculating based on time and location and I am not familiar with bus routes)

Last edited:
So, if I understand correctly, the last ping was located in Prospect Park. This is about 4 miles from Merle Hay Mall. He left the mall (Target) around 5:30 and the last ping was between 5:33-5:47. That seems to indicate, assuming he was with his phone, that he got a ride from someone or took the bus. (Speculating based on time and location and I am not familiar with bus routes)
That’s an interesting twist... normally I would say Prospect Park is a known meet-up and hang-out spot, but not right after a snow fall like that. I doubt the parking lots were even accessible at that point. Keep us posted!

I did not mean to be morbid regarding my previous post, but if you google “body found Prospect Park Des Moines” you will see what I mean and then some, in relation to the kind of activity in that neighborhood.

I hope they searched the whole park...

I did not mean to be morbid regarding my previous post, but if you google “body found Prospect Park Des Moines” you will see what I mean and then some, in relation to the kind of activity in that neighborhood.

I hope they searched the whole park...
Perhaps right now we should focus on what Prospect Park was like on January 17 at the end of a heavy snowfall. I’d be surprised if the snowplows even had that road cleared.

It would almost have to have been from a ride, IMO. There is a bus stop there at Merle Hay Mall, and in looking at the bus route for that line, there is also stop fairly close to Prospect Park (30th & Leado). The DART website shows a 5:35pm stop at the mall on weeknights, and a 5:46pm arrival time at 30th & Leado. However, with the weather we had that night, I would assume it would take much longer than 10 minutes and may not have even been on time. I know that pings aren't always accurate so there's always the possibility he took the bus...

DART Local Route 14 – Beaver Avenue – DART Local Bus Routes

Also doesn’t Prospect Park raise the eyebrows of anyone local? It is near the river...When I think of Prospect Park I recall news stories of bodies being found there, either in or near that park, by the boat ramp, etc...

Yes, Prospect Park is not in a good area of Des Moines.

I keep forgetting how truly awful the weather was on January 17...it was brutally cold and very snowy. It is hard to believe that anyone would *willingly* have made plans to venture outside or travel anywhere unless absolutely necessary... Abdi’s disappearance is so mysterious and troubling...I hope they give more updates on the search in the local news.

It would almost have to have been from a ride, IMO. There is a bus stop there at Merle Hay Mall, and in looking at the bus route for that line, there is also stop fairly close to Prospect Park (30th & Leado). The DART website shows a 5:35pm stop at the mall on weeknights, and a 5:46pm arrival time at 30th & Leado. However, with the weather we had that night, I would assume it would take much longer than 10 minutes and may not have even been on time. I know that pings aren't always accurate so there's always the possibility he took the bus...

DART Local Route 14 – Beaver Avenue – DART Local Bus Routes

Yes, Prospect Park is not in a good area of Des Moines.
Where is the bus stop relative to the AT&T store? MOO

I wonder if he could have fallen into the river...maybe trudging around in the snow, maybe waiting to meet someone, and slipped in? The heavy snow could have obscured the river’s edge etc...however, I don’t know if the river itself was completely frozen in that area and therefore he would not have been swept under if it was sheer ice...

I wonder if he could have fallen into the river...maybe trudging around in the snow, maybe waiting to meet someone, and slipped in? The heavy snow could have obscured the river’s edge etc...however, I don’t know if the river itself was completely frozen in that area and therefore he would not have been swept under if it was sheer ice...
Here’s how it looks today.

Attachments

• FD850345-D66E-485C-9ECB-E02D68209750.jpeg
    FD850345-D66E-485C-9ECB-E02D68209750.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 28009123-BAFF-464A-8152-ED7880654362.jpeg
    28009123-BAFF-464A-8152-ED7880654362.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 68
Ooh great pics...wow, if the water was anything like that on the day he went missing, he could have easily slipped on the banks and gone under.

It’s actually right there. It’s on Douglas right at the parking lot for the AT&T store.

Just one more thing about the bus...all Des Moines Public School district middle and high school students can ride the bus for free through a partnership they have with DART. They do have to scan their IDs to get the free transportation though, so if he did take the bus and did use his ID, they would have record of him getting on. If he didn't use his ID and just paid cash, there wouldn't be a record of course. I'm not sure if the buses have cameras inside though...I searched online and didn't find anything definitive about that.

1. Do we know the exact time that the security camera saw him leaving Target? I know it was around 5:30, but curious to know if a little before (since weather was so bad, perhaps people could leave a little early) or a little after. That might help us figure out if him taking the bus was possible (given the location and time of the pings from his phone)

2. according to a 2019 WHO article, all DART busses have security cameras. I assume that is one of the first things that they looked at, especially since the last surveillance video was in the parking lot of where the bus stop is located. So, I would assume they know whether or not he took the bus. (just speculating!)

1. Do we know the exact time that the security camera saw him leaving Target? I know it was around 5:30, but curious to know if a little before (since weather was so bad, perhaps people could leave a little early) or a little after. That might help us figure out if him taking the bus was possible (given the location and time of the pings from his phone)

2. according to a 2019 WHO article, all DART busses have security cameras. I assume that is one of the first things that they looked at, especially since the last surveillance video was in the parking lot of where the bus stop is located. So, I would assume they know whether or not he took the bus. (just speculating!)
I think the closest we have to the time he left Target was "around 5:30."
'Every time I think about him I feel panic': Search party planned for missing Des Moines teen

What is the source of the ping information? ie: Prospect Park between 5:33-5:47. MOO

I think the closest we have to the time he left Target was "around 5:30."
'Every time I think about him I feel panic': Search party planned for missing Des Moines teen

What is the source of the ping information? ie: Prospect Park between 5:33-5:47. MOO
The private detective hired on the case provided that information to the individuals who gathered to help search today. She handed out maps of the area to search, with one of the points being where the last ping was located (with the caveat that pings aren’t always totally accurate). She provided the time of the ping as well. The Des Moines Police Public Information Officer was also present at the meeting to assist, so I assume that the information is accurate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackie&Tim
Back