GUILTY IA - Amy Mullis , 39, Earlville, killed with corn rake, 10 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MikeGalanosHLN‏Verified account @MikeGalanosHLN 8m8 minutes ago
Freak accident, or murder? An #Iowa hog farmer is accused of murdering his wife with a corn rake on their farm. #MullisTrial @taylor_vessel from @KWWL has the latest from the courtroom

(video clip: MikeGalanosHLN on Twitter )
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie Grant‏Verified account @JulieCourtTV 3m3 minutes ago
BREAKING - state calls the reported lover of victim Amy Mullis to the stand! @CourtTV #CornRakeMurderTrial #Iowa

EExHBa-WsAAA7dt.jpg

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 1m1 minute ago
@ashleyrenesc The next witness to take the stand is Jerry Frasher. He is the man Amy Mullis had an affair while she was still married to Todd Mullis #MullisTrial

Julia Jenaé‏ @JuliaCourtTV 4m4 minutes ago
TESTIFYING NOW: Man who was having an extramarital affair with the victim Amy Mullis before she was killed. Jerry Frasher says the relationship turned physical in June of 2018. #MullisTrial @CourtTV

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 1m1 minute ago
@ashleyrenesc Frasher says Todd Mullis had confronted him about his relationship with Amy late July 2018. Frasher lied and denied to Mullis about their relationship. Mullis then called Frasher's wife to tell her the accusations. Mullis later apologized #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 20s21 seconds ago
@ashleyrenesc Frasher said that one time Amy told him that she felt like a "slave or hostage" while married to Todd. He says Amy told him that if Todd found out about their relationship then "she would disappear." #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 2m2 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc Frasher and Amy Mullis continued communicating through email after Todd confronted them about their relationship. Amy had emailed Frasher telling him that she was cleaning light fixtures the morning she died #MullisTrial

Court TV‏Verified account @CourtTV 2m2 minutes ago
"She did say if he ever found out, she would disappear.

" VICTIM'S LOVER TESTIFIES: Man who was having an extramarital affair with Amy Mullis takes the stand. Tune in NOW: http://court.tv/live #MullisTrial

(video clip: Court TV on Twitter )

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 4m4 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc Frasher said the he never experienced any feelings of anger or animosity from Todd Mullis #MullisTrial

Last edited:
KCRG‏Verified account @KCRG 1h1 hour ago
Prosecutors in the trial of Todd Mullis, who is accused of killing his wife with a corn rake near Earlville in November, argued in court today that he was desperate to keep the farm in the face of a potential divorce.

Prosecutor: Mullis, charged with corn rake killing, irate over affair (with clip)

Sep 18, 2019

"DUBUQUE, Iowa (AP) - A prosecutor says an Iowa man accused of using a corn rake to kill his wife was irate over her affair and fearful he'd lose their farm if she divorced him....

Prosecutor Maureen Hughes said Tuesday that Todd Mullis "had to find a way to keep that farm."

Defense attorney Gerald Feuerhelm agreed the farm was important to Todd Mullis, "but not so important that he would murder the mother of his children.""

Prosecutor: Mullis, charged with corn rake killing, irate over affair

An Iowa hog farmer said his wife fell on a corn rake. Now he’s on trial for her murder.

Sep 18, 2019

"Amy Mullis desperately wanted to get away from her family’s hog farm.

It wasn’t life in rural Earlville, Iowa, that was getting to her. The 39-year-old loved hunting, fishing and spending time outdoors and had left her job as a registered nurse so that she could help out in the barn, her brother testified in court on Tuesday. But her husband, Todd Mullis, was allegedly so controlling that Amy’s friends called her “POT,” short for “Prisoner of Todd.” As soon as all their crops were out of the field, she told her brother in August 2018, she planned on leaving him and filing for divorce. Todd, she predicted, was going to “flip out.”...

The couple’s marriage had been on the rocks since at least 2013, when Todd discovered that Amy was cheating on him. Her friends later told police that he became paranoid, requiring her to keep him apprised of her movements when she left the farm to shop at Walmart or meet a friend for lunch. Then, several months before her death, Amy started flirting with a man who serviced hog operations in the area and regularly stopped by their farm. At first, the two mostly talked about animal feed and the livestock business, but their relationship eventually turned sexual.

The man told police that Amy said she wanted to leave Todd, but she feared what would happen if he learned about the affair, explaining, “If he catches me, he might make me disappear.” According to court records obtained by WOI-DT, she had expressed similar fears to several close friends, at one point predicting Todd would kill her and “throw her to the pigs” if he learned about her infidelity....

Court records show Amy told a friend that if she and her husband split up, she stood to gain $2 million from the farm trust, as well as half the couple’s valuable land holdings. Prosecutors argue Todd was hellbent on making sure that didn’t happen..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/09/18/todd-mullis-murder-trial-corn-rake-iowa/

Todd Mullis Trial Day 2 Witnesses Angie Burr, Jerry Frasher, Patricia Christopherson & Carrie Callan

Sept 18, 2019

Witness testimony describes tension in Mullis marriage
6:30 pm - September 18, 2019
DUBUQUE, Iowa (KWWL) – In the second day of witness testimony in the Todd Mullis trial, the jury was given an in-depth look at Todd and Amy’s Mullis’ marriage before her death.

Lies and infidelity were at the forefront of today’s hearing.
[...]
Jerry Frasher, who had a romantic relationship with Amy Mullis, also testified.

Frasher said that he and Amy Mullis initially began communicating through text messages. However, when her husband confronted him about the suspiciously many texts they had been sending, they decided to communicate through emails.

Frasher and Mullis’s relationship continued up until the time of her death. Frasher and Mullis had communicated the morning before her death, where she told him that she planned on spending her day changing lightning fixtures in the family’s barn.

Frasher admits that while he and Mullis did not talk about their spouses when they were together, he did recall a time Mullis said that she felt like a slave in her marriage. Mullis also told him that if her husband were to find out about the affair that “she would disappear.”
[...]

Wondering about Frasher's wife and whether she will be a witness in the trial.

An Iowa hog farmer said his wife fell on a corn rake. Now he's on trial for her murder.
SEP 18, 2019
[...]
The couple’s marriage had been on the rocks since at least 2013 when Todd discovered Amy was cheating on him. Her friends later told police he became paranoid, requiring her to keep him apprised of her movements when she left the farm to shop at Walmart or meet a friend for lunch. Then, several months before her death, Amy started flirting with a man who serviced hog operations in the area and regularly stopped by their farm. At first, the two mostly talked about animal feed and the livestock business, but their relationship eventually turned sexual.

The man told police Amy said she wanted to leave Todd, but she feared what would happen if he learned about the affair, explaining, “If he catches me, he might make me disappear.”

The man who had the affair with her, Jerry Frasher, testified Wednesday that Todd had confronted him about the affair and that he lied and denied it, according to reporting from KWWL-TV. Todd then called Frasher’s wife to tell her about the accusations.
[...]

Wondering about Frasher's wife and whether she will be a witness in the trial.

An Iowa hog farmer said his wife fell on a corn rake. Now he's on trial for her murder.
SEP 18, 2019
[...]
The couple’s marriage had been on the rocks since at least 2013 when Todd discovered Amy was cheating on him. Her friends later told police he became paranoid, requiring her to keep him apprised of her movements when she left the farm to shop at Walmart or meet a friend for lunch. Then, several months before her death, Amy started flirting with a man who serviced hog operations in the area and regularly stopped by their farm. At first, the two mostly talked about animal feed and the livestock business, but their relationship eventually turned sexual.

The man told police Amy said she wanted to leave Todd, but she feared what would happen if he learned about the affair, explaining, “If he catches me, he might make me disappear.”

The man who had the affair with her, Jerry Frasher, testified Wednesday that Todd had confronted him about the affair and that he lied and denied it, according to reporting from KWWL-TV. Todd then called Frasher’s wife to tell her about the accusations.
[...]

What do you think about this one, SeesSeas? I think it is pretty clear that her injuries were not from a accidental fall. There is definitely evidence that AM was afraid of Todd after having her dalliances but the testimony of the son throws a kink in the timeline. I never would want to speculate that a 14 yr old would fib in order to help his Dad, but it would have to be so for the timeline to work. JMO

What do you think about this one, SeesSeas? I think it is pretty clear that her injuries were not from a accidental fall. There is definitely evidence that AM was afraid of Todd after having her dalliances but the testimony of the son throws a kink in the timeline. I never would want to speculate that a 14 yr old would fib in order to help his Dad, but it would have to be so for the timeline to work. JMO

In trial, both sides agree that Amy was murdered and that it wasn't an accident.
WHO murdered Amy? Todd? Son? Todd&Son together? Lover? Lover's wife?
I haven't watched all of the testimony, but I did watch all of Jerry's testimony and most of Amy's friends/coworkers testimony. I was surprised that there weren't any significant examples of Todd exhibiting anger or violence in light of the 2013 affair and the 2018 affair.
Thus far, IMO, the most incriminating evidence against Todd is the iPad internet searches.

Son Testifies at Mullis Murder Trial – Mix 94.7 KMCH
Todd’s defense attorneys, Gerald “Jake” Feuerhelm of Des Moines and Robert Sabers of Dubuque, agreed that Amy was murdered, but that the jury needs to decide “not who did it, but did Mr. Mullis do it?” Feuerhelm told the jury that in the months leading up to her death, Amy was having an affair with Jerry Frasier, who had been coming to the Mullis farm on a regular basis for business.

[...]
As the murder trial got underway, the defense dropped any notion that Amy’s death was due to an accident. Todd’s attorney, Jake Feuerhelm, told the jury there was no doubt she had been “viciously and deliberately murdered.” But he said there were plenty of reason to question whether his client was the one who did it.
[...]
On Tuesday, Feuerhelm said the story about an accident hadn’t been a lie, but an “honest, legitimate on-the-spot explanation” based on facts available to Todd at the time. “This wasn’t something he manufactured, it was like, what else could it be?” he asked.
[...]
According to a police affidavit, he had used his iPad to search the internet for terms such as “organs in the body,” “killing unfaithful women,” “what happens to cheaters in history” and “what happened to cheating spouses in historic Aztec tribes.”
[...]

I thank they need to keep looking . because she obviously had a problem with being faithful.I know she's deceased but her character wasn't very good..

Trial Attorney Says Wife's Statement was Very Telling of Her Future, If You Believe Prosecution

Sep 18, 2019

Hello! It’s bern a long time since I’ve been here, and I’m sorry for not being completely caught up with this case, but I have been watching it on court tv here and there. I am leaning towards the prosecution’s case, but don’t feel they are hammering it home hard enough that Todd was the killer. I can’t help but wonder if someone else did it. I don’t think Jerry did it, but did they question Jerry’s Wife? Didn't Todd’s mother have some type of problem with Amy? Was she ever questioned?

Linda Kenney Baden: Was Scene Investigation Enough to Get Murder Conviction?

Sep 18, 2019

Hello! It’s bern a long time since I’ve been here, and I’m sorry for not being completely caught up with this case, but I have been watching it on court tv here and there. I am leaning towards the prosecution’s case, but don’t feel they are hammering it home hard enough that Todd was the killer. I can’t help but wonder if someone else did it. I don’t think Jerry did it, but did they question Jerry’s Wife? Didn't Todd’s mother have some type of problem with Amy? Was she ever questioned?
I have only half been paying attention to this trial but I agree that so far I haven't seen any real evidence that her husband is the one who killed her. It does seem the prosecution is going to have to lay down some hard evidence and firm up the timeline. It doesn't seem likely that someone else could have gotten onto the farm and into the barn unnoticed to do it, but that in itself doesn't mean that he did it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back