GUILTY IA - Amy Mullis , 39, Earlville, killed with corn rake, 10 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have only half been paying attention to this trial but I agree that so far I haven't seen any real evidence that her husband is the one who killed her. It does seem the prosecution is going to have to lay down some hard evidence and firm up the timeline. It doesn't seem likely that someone else could have gotten onto the farm and into the barn unnoticed to do it, but that in itself doesn't mean that he did it.
I agree. He is likely the killer, but If I were on that jury I’d need to see some hard evidence to convict. He definitely had a motive, and there are the google searches, and Amy telling several of her friends that he’d kill her if he knew about the second affair, but I think I’d need more to convict at this point. Hopefully the state will produce something more solid.

I'm curious Mullins' choice of attire. I can see maybe a suit wouldn't fit his hard-working farmer image. But at least a white or light color shirt would seem to soften it a bit. Just thought it a bit odd he has been wearing a dark shirt.

I ran across a somewhat interesting piece of info showing that Jerry Frasher's father died due to a "farming accident" in 2014. I found this info at his father's obituary. I was rather surprised and interested to see this. Here's a guy (Frasher) who within the space of 5 years has had a father die in a farming accident and is also is potentially accused of murder in his lover's death in something that might have been staged to look like a farming accident. So, the question is: how solid is Frasher's alibi? Him and his son were supposedly together that whole day and Frasher wasn't at or near the Mullis farm. But we know that people lie about alibis.

I realize this probably amounts to nothing more than speculation, but I found it quite interesting that a close family member of Frasher's died due to a farming accident. (the obituary does not provide any specifics about his dad's accident, so it's unknown if there might be suspicious overtones about it.) Even if this means nothing, it's a good example of how looking at obituaries when sleuthing is a good idea, it can lead to some interesting details!

Law & Crime Network‏Verified account @LawCrimeNetwork 2h2 hours ago
#ToddMullis - Watch Live: Day 3 in the corn rake killing trial. Amy Mullis was impaled with a corn rake on her family farm. Her husband is charged with murder. https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/todd-mullis/watch-live-todd-mullis-on-trial-for-allegedly-killing-wife-with-a-corn-rake/ …

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 2h2 hours ago
Day 3 of testimony in the Mullis Trial is scheduled to begin in just a couple of minutes. We will provide updates in today's hearing tonight at 5 & 6. Our Dubuque reporter, @ashleyrenesc , will also continue to live tweet from courtroom.

EE1RoCpXUAA-AMc.jpg

And to catch up on this week's hearings, you can visit our previous web stories below

Witness testimony describes tension in Mullis marriage

September 18, 2019

"DUBUQUE, Iowa (KWWL) – In the second day of witness testimony in the Todd Mullis trial, the jury was given an in-depth look at Todd and Amy’s Mullis’ marriage before her death.

Lies and infidelity were at the forefront of today’s hearing.

According to testimony from Amy Mullis’ friend, Terri Staner, Mullis was unhappy and felt trapped in her marriage. However, Staner said that Mullis had a plan to get out....

Another friend of Amy Mullis, Patricia Christopherson, testified today. She said that Mullis had expressed her fears towards her husband to her through text messages....

Jerry Frasher, who had a romantic relationship with Amy Mullis, also testified....

Dr. Kelly Kruse, forensic pathologist for the Iowa State Medical Examiner, also testified in court. Dr. Kruse performed an autopsy on Mullis after the county medical examiner did not determine a cause of death....

Dr. Kruse determined that Mullis had suffered from four fatal puncture wounds to her chest cavity. However, during her examination, she determined that Mullis had been struck with the corn rake at least two, or possibly three, times.

Four of the puncture wounds entered Mullis in a downward position. However, the two other puncture wounds entered Mullis in an upward postion.

Dr. Kruse also suggested that Mullis may have tried to defend herself during the altercation due to some significant cuts and bruises on her hands. She removed some of Mullis’ fingernails to be submitted into the investigation. However, she is unaware if that evidence was used.

Dr. Kruse ultimately determined Mullis cause of death to be sharp force injury in the torso. Her manner of death was determined to be a homicide"

Witness testimony describes tension in Mullis marriage

Crazy that the State’s detective did not know that your Google search history can be synced across multiple devices as long as you’re logged into that account. The Defense tried poking holes in this, saying if someone else had access to the account their searches would also show up under his account. The Google search results were from google, and what was connected to the ACCOUNT not the actual device. We heard a rare objection by the State when they tried to drive this point home. Very interesting to say the least, and eye opening into what so called professionals and experts may not know.

@ashleyrenesc Court is now back in session. The first witness to take the stand is Deputy Travis Hemesath from the Delaware County Sheriff's Office Investigative Unit

@ashleyrenesc Deputy Hemesath said that as part of his initial investigation, he looked for blood markings in the Mullis shed that would have indicated Amy Mullis had fell. He said that he did not find them #MullisTrial

Telegraph Herald‏ @TelegraphHerald 2h2 hours ago
#MullisTrial Delaware County Sheriff’s Department investigator Travis Hemesath is testifying about his investigation of the incident on Nov. 10, 2018 at the Mullis farm

@ashleyrenesc Deputy Hemesath said that they also collected all electronic devices from the Mullis' home, including a DVR camera system from the exterior of the property #MullisTrial

@ashleyrenesc Deputy Hemesath is explaining some of the picture evidence he gathered from the Mullis' farm #MullisTrial

@ashleyrenesc The jury is now viewing photos taken by Deputy Hemesath of the interior and exterior of the red shed that Amy Mullis was found in #MullisTrial

#ToddMullis - This is the red shed Amy Mullis was found in.
EE1WifuX4AEFvMh.jpg

#ToddMullis - Todd Mullis and his son were working in the hog barn - white building, left - Amy was in the red shed retrieving a pet carrier Todd asked her to get.

EE1W4DVXoAAC7op.jpg

#ToddMullis - Amy Mullis's body was on the floor inside the red shed in this narrow walkway. Todd said he pulled the corn rake out of her back, put her in his truck. Her body was lying across their son's lap as 911 was called.

EE1X0GdXUAAd7c3.jpg

#ToddMullis - Deputy Hemesath testifies there was a security camera on the farm that was off the day Amy was murdered. He was functioning a couple of days later.

Last edited:
@ashleyrenesc Deputy Hemesath is now discussing some of the electronic devices collected from the Mullis' farm. He said that when he collected Todd Mullis' IPad, he was hesitant to give him the pass code #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 1h1 hour ago
@ashleyrenesc Deputy Hemesath said that there's a time gap on camera footage taken on the Mullis' farm. They did not find any recorded footage recording the shed. The last recorded footage on the front camera was took place a few weeks before Amy Mullis' death #MullisTrial

@ashleyrenesc Deputy Hemesath says that there was a search for "organs on the body" on Todd Mullis' GMail account four days before Amy Mullis' death #MullisTrial

Telegraph Herald‏ @TelegraphHerald 1h1 hour ago
Delaware County investigator Travis Hemesath testifies in #MullisTrial that he reviewed 700 pages of Google search history associated with Todd Mullis' iPad. "Organs of the body" was searched for 4 days prior to the date of Amy Mullis' death

@ashleyrenesc Jerry Frasher was ruled out as a person of interest because cell phone and email location indicates that he was in Anamosa during the time of Amy Mullis' death #MullisTrial

I ran across a somewhat interesting piece of info showing that Jerry Frasher's father died due to a "farming accident" in 2014. I found this info at his father's obituary. I was rather surprised and interested to see this. Here's a guy (Frasher) who within the space of 5 years has had a father die in a farming accident and is also is potentially accused of murder in his lover's death in something that might have been staged to look like a farming accident. So, the question is: how solid is Frasher's alibi? Him and his son were supposedly together that whole day and Frasher wasn't at or near the Mullis farm. But we know that people lie about alibis.

I realize this probably amounts to nothing more than speculation, but I found it quite interesting that a close family member of Frasher's died due to a farming accident. (the obituary does not provide any specifics about his dad's accident, so it's unknown if there might be suspicious overtones about it.) Even if this means nothing, it's a good example of how looking at obituaries when sleuthing is a good idea, it can lead to some interesting details!

@ashleyrenesc Jerry Frasher was ruled out as a person of interest because cell phone and email location indicates that he was in Anamosa during the time of Amy Mullis' death #MullisTrial

@ashleyrenesc Internet searches could suggest there were doubts of who the biological father of the Mullis children could be. There were searches for "how to make sure your kids are yours" and "test to know if you're a biological father" #MullisTrial

@ashleyrenesc On May 10, 2018, there was a NY Times article that was read. The headline was "Punishment is 18 Months for Killing Cheating Wife." There was an additional search involving another murder trial #MullisTrial

Julia Jenaé‏ @JuliaCourtTV 1h1 hour ago
Shocking search history: State is introducing Google data from Todd Mullis’ devices.
Searches include “how to make sure your kids are yours” and “did ancient cultures kill adulterers”. #MullisTrial @CourtTV
EE1jI3CXYAE9Ly0.jpg

@ashleyrenesc On July 26, 2018, there were searches made on Jerry Frasher, the man who had a relationship with Amy Mullis, and his wife #MullisTrial

@ashleyrenesc On Nov 6, 2018, there were searches made for "organs in the body," "organ anatomy" and "body organs maps and diagrams" #MullisTrial

@ashleyrenesc While Deputy Hemesath did request for DNA evidence to be conducted on the corn rake, his lab staff said that they no longer do touch DNA due to its inconsistency. The texture of the corn rake would have also inhibited DNA evidence #MullisTrial

@ashleyrenesc Deputy Hemesath said that throughout their investigation, Todd Mullis had always been their primary suspect #MullisTrial

Law & Crime Network‏Verified account @LawCrimeNetwork 1h1 hour ago
#ToddMullis - 10-15 minute morning recess then cross-exam

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 60m60 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc After a brief recess, the defense is now beginning their cross examination into Deputy Hemesath's testimony #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 52m52 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc Deputy Hemesath is explaining how their investigative team gathered these searches from Todd Mullis' IPad #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 46m46 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc On July 19, 2018, there were also searches made for wedding rings and dresses #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 43m43 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc Deputy Hemesath affirms that every one of these searches were made off of Todd Mullis' IPad and that these searches were not made off of any other device #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 42m42 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc Deputy Hemesath explains that while it is possible that someone may have used Todd Mullis' IPad to make these search, he said that it is not probable #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 38m38 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc The defense asked if it was possible that someone else may have made the search for DNA testing. Deputy Hemesath says that it is possible but not probable #MullisTrial

Julia Jenaé‏ @JuliaCourtTV 36m36 minutes ago
ON CROSS: Defense is raising doubt that all the searches recovered are Todd Mullis’. Asking deputy if these sound like interests of a male hog farmer: Pinterest, Carrie Underwood, Lady Antebellum, wedding dresses...#MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 33m33 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc As the defense asks Deputy Hemesath about how data collecting, internet searches and his expertise, Hemesath says to him, "I guess I've never had the internet tell me I'm wrong." #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 25m25 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc Deputy Hemesath agrees with the defense that anyone with a password can get on to a device and make internet searches off of another person's device account #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 24m24 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc Special Agent Jon Turbett from the Iowa Department of Public Safety DCI unit has taken the stand #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 14m14 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc Jerry Frasher confirmed to Agent Turbett that he had a romantic and sexual relationship with Amy Mullis from May 2018 until the time of her death. Frasher was initially a person of interest, however, after interviews and search warrants he was cleared #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 8m8 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc When Agent Turbett first interviewed Todd Mullis, he asked him about what his marriage with his wife was like. Mullis describes himself as "open and loving," and when they had problems they worked them out #MullisTrial

Telegraph Herald‏ @TelegraphHerald 8m8 minutes ago
#MullisTrial jury shown clip of video interview by DCI and Todd Mullis from Nov 16

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 6m6 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc Agent Turbett asked Mullis about any marital problems they may have had. Mullis disclosed the affair his wife had 5 years ago but that he never confronted her about any other extramarital affairs #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 3m3 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc Agent Turbett purposely rephrased questions to give Mullis a chance to disclose about his wife's affair with Jerry Frasher. When he asked about Amy's relationship with Frasher, he said that it was a business relationship #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 22m22 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc After returning from a brief water break, Agent Turbett said that was when Mullis disclosed his concerns that his wife may have been having an affair with Frasher #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 2m2 minutes ago
@ashleyrenesc Agent Turbett was the first person to tell Todd Mulllis that his wife's death was being investigated as a homicide. He describes Mullis' reaction as very flat and unemotional #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 1m1 minute ago
@ashleyrenesc Agent Turbett said that while Mullis asked him questions about evidence and what information the police shared with him, Todd Mullis never denied that he killed Amy #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 1m1 minute ago
@ashleyrenesc Court is now breaking for lunch. Trial will continue at 1:15 #MullisTrial

KWWL‏Verified account @KWWL 35s36 seconds ago
@ashleyrenesc The jury has returned to the courtroom and trial is now back in session. The state is showing a video from Agent Turbett's questioning with Todd Mullis. In this footage, Turbett tells Mullis that his wife's murder is being investigated as a homicide #MullisTrial

Telegraph Herald‏ @TelegraphHerald 4m4 minutes ago
#MullisTrial resumes with video of interview between DCI investigator Jon Turbett and Todd Mullis.
Turbett explains to Mullis that autopsy tells story of Amy Mullis’ death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back