GUILTY IA - Breasia Terrell, 10, found deceased, Davenport, 10 July 2020 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Aug. 16, 2023

The first officer on scene in July 2020 says Henry Dinkins just up and left his apartment building after calling police to report Breasia Terrell missing.

That was part of Wednesday's testimony in Dinkins' murder trial in Scott County.

Davenport Police Officer Craig Burkle says he wasn't inside Dinkins' apartment long that morning of July 10, 2020, he said he was just looking to see if Breasia might still be there.
[.....]
Dinkins' Bench Trial is scheduled to last five weeks.

Thursday, August 17th:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 6) (@ 9:30am ET) - IA - Breasia Terrell (10) (last seen E. 53rd & near Lorton Ave on July 10, 2020, Davenport; found March 22, 2021 by fishermen near 270th Ave in Dewitt in Clinton County. Id'd on March 31, 2021) - *Henry Earl Dinkins (48/now 51) arrested (5/5/21), charged (5/6/21) & arraigned (6/16/21) on 1st degree murder & 1st degree kidnapping. Plead not guilty. Held with no bond in the Clinton County jail.
Bench Trial began on 8/10/23. Trial will be in Scott County.
Case & court info from 5/6/21 thru 8/8/23 & Trial Day 1-4 (8/10-8/15/23) reference post #939 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-davenport-10-july-2020-arrest.531556/page-47

8/16/23 Wednesday, Bench Trial Day 5: Davenport Police Officer Craig Burkle. His body cam footage shows Breasia's mom, Aishia Lankford, and Henry Dinkins arguing.
For more info see post #941 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-davenport-10-july-2020-arrest.531556/page-48
Bench trial continues on Thursday, 8/17/23.

Did anyone else notice the police officer knew Henry by his first name? When he got out of the cruiser he acknowledged Henry as if they were well acquainted with one another. I am not by any means suggesting anything nefarious, quite the opposite, HD is more than likely a constant bright and shining beacon on their radar.

Did anyone else notice the police officer knew Henry by his first name? When he got out of the cruiser he acknowledged Henry as if they were well acquainted with one another. I am not by any means suggesting anything nefarious, quite the opposite, HD is more than likely a constant bright and shining beacon on their radar.
I too noticed that when Henry came walking towards the officer, the officer never asked Henry his name and simply addressed him as "Henry" as if he already knew him.

With Dinkin's lengthy rap sheet, I think he is most likely known on a first name basis with many of the officers of the Davenport Police Department and other LE agencies in the area.

I don't believe it was brought up in court if the officer was told prior to arriving at the apartment complex who to make contact with, but it is possible the officer knew he was there to meet with Henry Dinkin's. Although I did not get the sense that the officer was questioning Henry as he approached, as if he didn't know for sure he was in fact Henry Dinkins.

Also regarding the body cam footage, I can't get over how different Andrea was, compared to her appearance in court. I think she was so controlled, intimidated and afraid of Dinkins she was afraid to say much of anything when speaking to the officer. She never mentioned looking out the window of the apartment in the early morning hours and seeing Breasia standing by Henry's car when the officer was at the apartment. Hopefully she did include this information about the seeing Breasia by the Impala during her formal interview at the police station and maybe even explained she as afraid to say something knowing what Dinkins would do to her if she had said anything. Had Andrea not said something until much later, I think the defense would have questioned her on direct examination about why she never told the police about seeing Breasia by the car, which they didn't.

JMO

I too noticed that when Henry came walking towards the officer, the officer never asked Henry his name and simply addressed him as "Henry" as if he already knew him.

With Dinkin's lengthy rap sheet, I think he is most likely known on a first name basis with many of the officers of the Davenport Police Department and other LE agencies in the area.

I don't believe it was brought up in court if the officer was told prior to arriving at the apartment complex who to make contact with, but it is possible the officer knew he was there to meet with Henry Dinkin's. Although I did not get the sense that the officer was questioning Henry as he approached, as if he didn't know for sure he was in fact Henry Dinkins.

Also regarding the body cam footage, I can't get over how different Andrea was, compared to her appearance in court. I think she was so controlled, intimidated and afraid of Dinkins she was afraid to say much of anything when speaking to the officer. She never mentioned looking out the window of the apartment in the early morning hours and seeing Breasia standing by Henry's car when the officer was at the apartment. Hopefully she did include this information about the seeing Breasia by the Impala during her formal interview at the police station and maybe even explained she as afraid to say something knowing what Dinkins would do to her if she had said anything. Had Andrea not said something until much later, I think the defense would have questioned her on direct examination about why she never told the police about seeing Breasia by the car, which they didn't.

JMO
I agree. I was also struck by Andrea's testimony on the stand, when she stated how many emotions she had running through her mind upon finding Bre missing from the bedroom. She repeated many times how "scared" she felt and seemed very genuine to me. I found it very telling that fright was her strongest emotion when it came to her bf and a missing 10yo girl. IMO, she herself has been very close victimization, or she subconsciously knew what HD was capable of, or in fact knew of his prior conviction. I found her to be a very intelligent and compassionate woman on the witness stand. And as I watched her, my mind kept returning to how a family evening at her apt went so horribly wrong and she will never be the same.

I agree. I was also struck by Andrea's testimony on the stand, when she stated how many emotions she had running through her mind upon finding Bre missing from the bedroom. She repeated many times how "scared" she felt and seemed very genuine to me. I found it very telling that fright was her strongest emotion when it came to her bf and a missing 10yo girl. IMO, she herself has been very close victimization, or she subconsciously knew what HD was capable of, or in fact knew of his prior conviction. I found her to be a very intelligent and compassionate woman on the witness stand. And as I watched her, my mind kept returning to how a family evening at her apt went so horribly wrong and she will never be the same.
I haven't gotten to Andrea's testimony yet. I'm just taking notice of how petite Andrea is. Like a child or teenager.
Based on your observation, I wonder what her demeanor was the days and weeks after Breasia disappeared.
Do we know when the relationship with Dinkins end?

Aug. 17, 2023
DAVENPORT, Iowa (KCRG) - Testimony is entering a sixth day for the man on trial in the death of a ten-year-old girl in Davenport.
[....]
Police say Walmart security footage showed Dinkins buying bleach the morning Breasia vanished.

Detective Elizabeth Tharp also testified.

She says she recognized the smell in the trunk of Dinkin’s car.

go to the bottom - and hit Load More for testimony in this article.

Friday, August 18th:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 9:30am ET) - IA - Breasia Terrell (10) (last seen E. 53rd & near Lorton Ave on July 10, 2020, Davenport; found March 22, 2021 by fishermen near 270th Ave in Dewitt in Clinton County. Id'd on March 31, 2021) - *Henry Earl Dinkins (48/now 51) arrested (5/5/21), charged (5/6/21) & arraigned (6/16/21) on 1st degree murder & 1st degree kidnapping. Plead not guilty. Held with no bond in the Clinton County jail.
Case & court info from 5/6/21 thru 8/8/23 & Trial Day 1-4 (8/10-8/15/23) reference post #942 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-davenport-10-july-2020-arrest.531556/page-48

8/16/23 Wednesday, Bench Trial Day 5: State witness: Davenport Police Officer Craig Burkle. His body cam footage shows Breasia's mom, Aishia Lankford, and Henry Dinkins arguing.
For more info see post #941 here:
State witnesses: retired Officer Jason Pojar. Detective Beth Tharp.
The trial resumes and the judge gives a summary of the bench conference before the break. Judge summarizes: Frese objected to the exhibit offered by Cunningham during Tharp's testimony. During the bench conference, Frese said presenting the document as it was would violate a pretrial ruling and that Tharp was not the officer who authored the warrant. Cunningham said she wanted a response that information provided by Tharp was in the warrant, but the exibit would not be admitted during Tharp's testimony.
State witnesses: Joshua Stocking, a detective with the Davenport Police Dept. Detective AJ Poirier. Poirier is a detective with the special victims unit with the Davenport police. Christine Baker. In July 2020 her last name was Stobaugh & she was a civilian crime scene technician with Davenport.
for more info see post #947 here:
Bench trial continues on Thursday, 8/17/23.

8/17/23 Thursday, Bench Trial Day 6: State witness: Matt Gehant, who was the security manager for Walmart in Clinton, Iowa. Monique Brillhart, who works for the FBI as a latent fingerprint examiner. Linda Otterstatter. She is a forensic examiner with the FBI in Quantico, Virginia. Tiffany Smith. She is a forensic examiner in the FBI's DNA unit. Patrick Sievert, Davenport Police Dept. detective.
For more info see post #947 here:
Bench trial continues on Friday, 8/18/23.

Henry Dikins....liar, liar, pants on fire! Doesn't know last names, addresses, cell phone #, wears a watch/carries a cell phone yet couldn't tell u the time of day or night. Tryin to get details outta him is like tryin to nail Jello to a wall!

An amazing thing happens when someone asks him a question, he stammers & stutters around so much that people generally just answer the question for him.. what they think the answer would be. And HD lets them, never even bothering to correct em. As God is my witness, Alex Murdaugh, did the same damn thing! By the end of the interview, the only thing you have is a bunch of convoluted piecemeal statements that were strung together by the interviewer.

August 18, 2023
The trial of Henry Dinkins, accused of the murder of Breasia Terrell in 2020, is entering its seventh day.

Davenport Police Corporal Evan Obert was the first person to take the witness stand on Friday. He was the lead detective in the investigation into Breasia’s disappearance. Obert told Scott County Attorney Kelly Cunningham that a search warrant involving the Chevy Impala had been issued, allowing law enforcement to search the undercarriage and exterior.
[.....]
Late Friday afternoon, the prosecution showed video they say shows DInkins at the Clinton Walmart, where he bought two bottles of bleach.

Aug. 18, 2023

The trial of Henry Dinkins, accused of the murder of Breasia Terrell in 2020, is entering its seventh day.

Davenport Police Corporal Evan Obert was the first person to take the witness stand on Friday. He was the lead detective in the investigation into Breasia’s disappearance. Obert told Scott County Attorney Kelly Cunningham that a search warrant involving the Chevy Impala had been issued, allowing law enforcement to search the undercarriage and exterior.
[.....]
Cunningham presented a video of Obert’s interview with Dinkins to the court.
[.....]
Late Friday afternoon, the prosecution showed video they say shows DInkins at the Clinton Walmart, where he bought two bottles of bleach.

Monday, August 21st:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 8) (@ 9:30am ET) - IA - Breasia Terrell (10) (last seen E. 53rd & near Lorton Ave on July 10, 2020, Davenport; found March 22, 2021 by fishermen near 270th Ave in Dewitt in Clinton County. Id'd on March 31, 2021) - *Henry Earl Dinkins (48/now 51) arrested (5/5/21), charged (5/6/21) & arraigned (6/16/21) on 1st degree murder & 1st degree kidnapping. Plead not guilty. Held with no bond in the Clinton County jail.
Case & court info from 5/6/21 thru 8/8/23 & Trial Day 1-6 (8/10-8/17/23) reference post #948 here:

8/18/23 Friday, Bench Trial Day 7: State witness: Davenport Police Corporal Evan Obert, lead detective. Prosecutor Cunningham presented a video of Obert’s interview with Dinkins to the court. The prosecution also showed video they say shows DInkins at the Clinton Walmart, where he bought two bottles of bleach.
For more info see post #951 & 952 here:
Bench trial continues on Monday, 8/21/23.

Aug. 21, 2023

The trial of Henry Dinkins, accused of kidnapping and murdering Breasia Terrell, enters its second week. He and his family maintain his innocence. Dinkins has chosen a bench trial instead of a jury trial. In a bench trial, the judge makes the decisions. In a jury trial, jurors make the decisions.

Detective Evan Obert, lead detective in the case, continued his testimony under questioning from Scott County Attorney Kelly Cunnningham. Cunningham continued questioning Obert about surveillance video to show where Dinkins was in the early morning hours when Breasia, 10, went missing.
[.....]
Dinkins’ attorney Chad Frese began cross-examining Obert. Frese asked Obert if the t-shirt, a size 4XL, was fairly clean. Obert said it was. Frese asked whether Breasia had been shot three times and Obert said yes. He told the court when DCI did an analysis of the rounds, they could not rule it out as being the gun involved, but could not specifically match it.
[.....]
Davenport Police Detective Maureen Hammes works in the special victims unit, especially with children, Obert testified. She interviewed D.L., who was 8 at the time, sometime after Obert did.

Tuesday, August 22nd:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 9) (@ 9:30am ET) - IA - Breasia Terrell (10) (last seen E. 53rd & near Lorton Ave on July 10, 2020, Davenport; found March 22, 2021 by fishermen near 270th Ave in Dewitt in Clinton County. Id'd on March 31, 2021) - *Henry Earl Dinkins (48/now 51) arrested (5/5/21), charged (5/6/21) & arraigned (6/16/21) on 1st degree murder & 1st degree kidnapping. Plead not guilty. Held with no bond in the Clinton County jail.
Case & court info from 5/6/21 thru 8/8/23 & Trial Day 1-7 (8/10-8/18/23) reference post #953 here:

8/21/23 Monday, Bench Trial Day 8: State witness: Davenport Police Corporal Evan Obert, lead detective continues testimony.
For more info see post #954 here:
Bench trial continues on Tuesday, 8/22/23.

Aug. 22, 2023
Testimony continues on Tuesday, Aug. 22, with Davenport Police Detective Evan Obert, who was the lead investigator in the disappearance of of 10-year-old Breasia Terrell.
[.....]
Heather Garvin is called to the stand. She is a certified forensic anthropologist and through her job at Des Moines University, she works with the state medical examiner's office. She is an expert in the skeleton and if the bones provide additional information.
[.....]
Matthew Dean, a resident of Clinton, is called to the stand. He says at the time he was interviewed by Obert in 2021, Dean was in jail. He says an inmate in his "pod" was Dinkins.
[.....]
Jodi Webb, a geologist forensics examiner with the FBI lab at Quantico, is called to the stand.
[.....]
Brendan Rogge, from Clinton, is called to the stand. On March 22, 2021, Rogge called friend Jesse Dau, who was with Eric Johnson. They decided to go fishing at the pond at Kunau Implement in DeWitt.
[.....]
Jesse Dau is called to the stand. He was with Rogge and Eric Johnson at the pond to go fishing on March 22, 2021.
[.....]
Eric Johnson, from Grand Mound, the third fisherman, is called to the stand. Johnson's testimony corroborates testimony from Dau and Rogge about the time they went fishing, where they parked on the road; that the drive down to the pond was steep; and Rogge saw the remains first.
[.....]
David Baker, who grew up in Clinton and was an inmate at Clinton County Jail, is called to the stand.
[.....]
Davenport Police Detective Geoffrey Peiffer is called to the stand. Peiffer is asked about March 22, 2021, when remains were found at the pond at Kunau Implement. Peiffer said he was contacted by DCI Special Agent in Charge Rick Rahn.
[.....]
The court adjourns for the day.

Wednesday, August 23rd:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 10) (@ 9:30am ET) - IA - Breasia Terrell (10) (last seen E. 53rd & near Lorton Ave on July 10, 2020, Davenport; found March 22, 2021 by fishermen near 270th Ave in Dewitt in Clinton County. Id'd on March 31, 2021) - *Henry Earl Dinkins (48/now 51) arrested (5/5/21), charged (5/6/21) & arraigned (6/16/21) on 1st degree murder & 1st degree kidnapping. Plead not guilty. Held with no bond in the Clinton County jail.
Case & court info from 5/6/21 thru 8/8/23 & Trial Day 1-8 (8/10-8/21/23) reference post #955 here:

8/22/23 Tuesday, Bench Trial Day 9: State witnesses: Davenport Police Detective Evan Obert lead investigator returns on stand on cross. Heather Garvin. She is a certified forensic anthropologist & through her job at Des Moines University, she works with the state medical examiner's office. She is an expert in the skeleton & if the bones provide additional information. Matthew Dean, a resident of Clinton. Jodi Webb, a geologist forensics examiner with the FBI lab at Quantico. Brendan Rogge, from Clinton. Jesse Dau. He was with Rogge & Eric Johnson at the pond to go fishing on March 22, 2021. Eric Johnson, from Grand Mound, the third fisherman. David Baker, who grew up in Clinton & was an inmate at Clinton County Jail. Davenport Police Detective Geoffrey Peiffer.
For more info see post #956 here:
Bench trial continues on Wednesday, 8/23/23.

Being shot in the shoulder doesn't seem to me to be an instant killing fatal bullet wound.

Being shot in the lower most part of the jaw and the bullet traveling to the neck area might not be either. Although I think it might have paralyzed Breasia if she wasn't killed instantly.

If the third bullet that was found in the hair mass would have been a head shot their should have been damage to the skull, unless perhaps the bullet entered through the eye socket and never exited the skull.

I sure hope she didn't lie there and suffer. What a monster Dinkins is.

JMO

Aug. 23, 2023

Obert’s timeline based on testimony, cell data and video footage:

Sometime before 12 a.m.: Andrea Culberson testified that when she fell asleep in the living room before midnight, Dinkins was on the couch at the apartment at 2744 E. 53rd St., Apt. 8, and Breasia and her brother, DL, were asleep in the bedroom.
2:13 a.m.: A dark-colored sedan northbound on Schmidt Road past Jack’s Brake and Alignment at 2160 W. River Drive.
2:29 a.m.: Headlights leaving the lot of 743 Schmidt Road where the defendant’s motorhome is parked. This is captured from Devon Self Storage camera at 2070 W. River Drive.
2:30 to 2:31 a.m.: The dark-colored sedan southbound on Schmidt Road and then returns northbound on Schmidt Road from Jack’s Brake camera.
2:49 a.m.: Dark-colored sedan leaving the lot of 743 Schmidt Road.
2:50 a.m.: Dark-color sedan south on Schmidt Road toward River Drive captured on Jack’s Brake camera.
2:51 a.m. to 2:53 a.m.: Vehicle enters Credit Island and leaves Credit Island, seen from a camera from a residence on River Drive.
Approximately 3 a.m.: Andrea Culberson testified she woke up and notices the defendant and Breasia Terrell are missing from the apartment.
3:11 a.m. and 3:12 a.m.: Andrea tries to call the defendant and notices his phone was left in the apartment.
Approximately 3:30 a.m.: Andrea testifies that the defendant enters the apartment and retrieves an unknown item from the bedroom closet and leaves. Andrea looks out the window and sees Breasia standing outside of the Impala prior to the defendant leaving.
3:33 a.m. to 3:38 a.m.: The defendant arrives at Kwik Shop at 201 W. 53rd St. in the maroon Impala. Henry purchases $35 of gasoline, two packs of cigarettes and a lighter using cash. The defendant is seen leaving in the Impala traveling eastbound on West 53rd Street.
Sometime before 5:55 a.m.: The defendant returns to Andrea’s apartment to pick up DL.
5:35 a.m.: Culberson calls the defendant which lasts for 39 seconds. Dinkins’cellphone records show him leaving the area of the apartment complex.
5:45 a.m.: Maroon Impala westbound on East 53rd Street, past the Kwik Star at 2050 E. 53rd St.
5:57 a.m.: Maroon Impala northbound and the 6100 block of Eastern Avenue, from the 6138 Jusdon Circle camera.
5:59 a.m.: Maroon Impala southbound on 5900 block of Jersey Ridge Road, seen from the 5915 Woodland Ave camera.
6:01 a.m. the defendant calls Andrea which lasts nine seconds. The call places the defendant back at the apartment.
6:05 a.m.: Maroon Impala northbound in 5900 block of Jersey Ridge Road.
6:11 a.m.: Maroon Impala northbound on Highway 61 from the mile marker 124 camera.
6:43 a.m.: Maroon Impala east toward Clinton on Highway 30 from Paasch Farms, which is 6441 Lincoln Way camera.
6:49 a.m.: Maroon Impala enters the Walmart parking lot. Henry, the defendant, walks up to the doors. The store does not open until 7 a.m. Dinkins gets back into the Impala.
6:54 a.m.: Maroon Impala exits the lot. A front seat passenger believed to be DL is seen.
6:57 a.m.: Maroon Impala reenters a Walmart parking lot.
6:58 a.m. to 7:10 a.m.: Dinkins enters the Clinton Walmart and purchases two 81-ounce bottles of Clorox. He places the bleach into the trunk of the Impala and leaves Walmart.
7:02 a.m. and 7:03 a.m.: Dinkins’ cellphone pings off a tower in Clinton.
7:10 a.m.: Maroon Impala westbound in 2600 block of Lincoln Way/Highway 30, seen from First Central State Bank camera.
7:15 a.m. Maroon Impala westbound on Lincoln Way/Highway 30, seen from the Paasch Farms camera.
7:26 a.m.: Maroon Impala westbound on Highway 30, seen from DeWitt Travel Center camera, 630 S. 6th Ave., DeWitt.
7:52 a.m.: Maroon Impala southbound on Highway 61 from mile marker 124 camera.
8:14 a.m.: Maroon Impala northbound on Concord Street and then eastbound on Rockingham Road, seen from Hy-Vee, 3019 Rockingham Road.
8:15 a.m.: Maroon Impala southbound in the 700 block of Schmidt Road, seen from the Purina plant cameras.
8:16 a.m.: Maroon Impala southbound on Schmidt Road towards River Drive, captured from Jack’s Brake and Alignment.
8:18 a.m. to 8:22 a.m.: Dark-color sedan enters and exits Credit Island. Cell data put the defendant’s cellphone in that area.
8:22 a.m.: Maroon Impala traveling northbound on Schmidt Road, seen from Jack’s Brake and Alignment camera.
8:24 a.m.: Maroon Impala in the lot of 743 Schmidt Road with the trunk open. Dinkins and DL are standing near the motorhome, seen from the Devon Self Storage camera.
8:26 a.m. to 8:27 a.m.: The Maroom Impala is traveling northbound on Schmidt Road and then east on Rockingham Road from the Purina cameras.
8:26 a.m. to 8:27 a.m.: Maroom Impala northbound on Schmidt Road and then east on Rockingham Road, seen from the Purina cameras.
Approximately 8:42 a.m.: Dinkins meets with Breasia’s mother, Aishia Lankford, at the McDonald’s at 1733 E. Kimberley Road. DL who was with Dinkins, leaves with his mother.
9:33 a.m.: Maroon Impala eastbound on West 53rd Street, seen from the fire station No. 8 camera.
11:46 a.m.: Maroon Impala southbound and 3700 block of Bridge Ave., captured from Puryear Law firm at 3719 Bridge Ave., which is near the apartment complex of Dinkins’ sister and mother.
Noon: Dinkins arrives at the Davenport Police station to be interviewed.

Aug. 23, 2023

Davenport Police Sgt. Geoffrey Peiffer continues his testimony.
[.....]
The judge gives a summary of the bench conference during David Baker's testimony on Tuesday. It was decided that defense attorney Joel Waters could not ask Baker about the charges that placed him in Newton Correctional Facility, but Waters could ask if he was given favors in return for testimony. Baker said he had not.
[.....]
Clinton County Deputy Adam Wojciechowski is called to the stand. Wojciechowski responded to a call that a body was possibly found near the pond at Kunau Implement on March 22, 2021.
[.....]
Kelly Kruse, a pathologist who is an associate state medical examiner, is called to the stand.
[.....]
Joseph Adams, who lives outside of DeWitt, is called to the stand. He said he knew Jerod Brink, who died about two months ago.
[.....]
Michael Tate, a criminalist with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, is called to the stand. Tate works in the firearm and tool-mark section of DCI.
[.....]
Retired Davenport Police officer Bill Thomas will read the deposition from Jerod Brink, who recently died. Defense attorney Chad Frese reads his part of the deposition, and the officer reads Jerod Brink's responses.
[.....]
Sean Johnson, a detective with the Davenport Police Department, takes the stand.
[.....]
The state introduces a DVD of the recording of the interview. Cunningham was going to play a recording of the interview, but given the length, the judge and the state agreed to wait until Thursday.

The court adjourns for the day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18
Back