IA - Celia Barquín, 22, Golf Champion, Murdered on Golf Course, Ames, 17 Sept 2018 ***Arrest***

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just saw this story. When they showed his release from prison, it showed his address as “homeless”. Why do prisons release people who have no where to go? That’s asking for trouble right there.

Rest In Peace, Celia.

Homeless man appears in court 'after he stabbed to death former college golf champion in random daylight attack' - as it's revealed suspect bathed after the killing and changed out of his bloodstained clothes
  • Celia Barquin Arozamena, 22, was found dead at Coldwater Golf Links in Iowa
  • The civil engineering student was ranked 69th nationally for US women's golf
  • Barquin suffered stab wounds to her upper torso, head and neck, police said
  • Homeless man Collin Daniel Richards was charged with first-degree murder
  • Richards, 22, has criminal history that includes, domestic violence & harassment
  • His first arrest was in 2015 and in June 2018 he was busted for public intoxication
  • He allegedly had spoken to an acquaintance of his desire to 'rape and kill a woman'
  • Barquin's hometown of Puente San Miguel, Spain, is in mourning; her brother, Andres, says the family are 'trying to put ourselves together'
Homeless man in court 'after he killed ex-golf champion Celia Barquin' | Daily Mail Online

Just saw this story. When they showed his release from prison, it showed his address as “homeless”. Why do prisons release people who have no where to go? That’s asking for trouble right there.

Rest In Peace, Celia.
Exactly. I saw a MSM news story a while back which focused on 3 men getting out of a state prison. They had served their time. Two men had people there to pick them up and take them to their family homes. The situation for both looked positive. The third guy, about 22, walked out of prison with about $20.00 that he had saved from work in the prison. No one was there to meet him. He bought a pack of cigarettes and started walking down the sidewalk. He only had the clothes he was wearing and prolly about $15.00 left. What was he to do? His home was in another state. His crime was possession of 1/2 ounce of marijuana. SMH. Who knows where he slept that night and how long that money would last.
It's truly a legitimate concern. What is to be done? I guess we don't "owe" then anything, but it's a bad situation for all.

La golfista española Celia Barquín, asesinada en EEUU, sufrió heridas de arma blanca en la cabeza y el cuello

The had told some of his acquaintances a few days prior to this that he felt a strong desire to rape and kill a woman. I wonder why people who hear such comments do not contact the police and only later think "Oh what a pity, I should have said something..." . Too late now :(

If you're living in a Hobo Camp, you're not going to have many friends left, when LE walks in and tosses the place and runs everyone off. And if any of those guys ever see you alone, it ain't gonna be pretty.

Rest In Peace, Celia.

Because it is not a crime to be homeless. Any American has a Constitutional right to be free from unlawful detention. You can' be rounded up and thrown in Jail for not having a roof to call your own. Here in America you have a Constutionaly protected right to live on the street, or Golf course, if you want to. The trick is to not break any laws that you can be arrested for. Though in New Orleans you could be arrested for "obstructing the sidewalk". A great catch-all charge for when the Police want to arrest you, but don't quite have anyone one thing to pin on you!

However, better Social Services coordination with Police and Jails might provide for placement in shelter, or group homes, or Shelters, or subsidized housing to reduce the problem. If you can't jail 'em, you need to house 'em. Of course, some municpaliites give the homeless $20 and put them on a Bus heading out of town.

JMOO

Last edited:
Is there another thread about this case somewhere else? If not, I am surprised it is not generating more interest.

The police quickly apprehended the suspect, almost all of the salacious details have been made public through an arrest report and MSM. What is there left to sleuth, gossip or argue about?

This is so sad and so senseless, and way too close to home for me (I live in Central Iowa and was raised in Eastern Iowa - I pass Ames every time I visit family). Celia is the second college student in Iowa to lose her life to a man (stranger?) committing a senseless act of violence in just the last two months. There's been a lot of discussion online about the different reactions to Mollie Tibbetts and Celia's murders. Celia's case hasn't generated nearly as much media coverage, but partly that's due to the fact they found her body immediately vs. having to search for her for weeks in hopes of finding her alive.

Because it is not a crime to be homeless. Any American has a Constitutional right to be free from unlawful detention. You can' be rounded up and thrown in Jail for not having a roof to call your own. Here in America you have a Constutionaly protected right to live on the street, or Golf course, if you want to. The trick is to not break any laws that you can be arrested for. Though in New Orleans you could be arrested for "obstructing the sidewalk". A great catch-all charge for when the Police want to arrest you, but don't quite have anyone one thing to pin on you!

However, better Social Services coordination with Police and Jails might provide for placement in shelter, or group homes, or Shelters, or subsidized housing to reduce the problem. If you can't jail 'em, you need to house 'em. Of course, some municpaliites give the homeless $20 and put them on a Bus heading out of town.

JMOO

I agree but when you are paroled. you are supposed to have an address. I know some are placed in motels.

Screen%2520Shot%25202018-09-22%2520at%25201.59.00%2520PM.png

Celia Barquin Arozamena, the decorated Iowa State golfer that was murdered on a golf course earlier this week, was honored before the school's football game on Saturday.

Barquin Arozamena, the Big 12 women's champ, was supposed to be on the field this weekend to celebrate being chosen as Iowa State's female athlete of the year.

A tribute to Barquin Arozamena played on a video screen before a moment of silence, and fans were asked to wear yellow, one of Iowa State's primary colors and a nod to Barquin Arozamena's Spanish roots. Most of the fans also wore golf shirts to pay tribute, and Cyclones football coach Matt Campbell wore an Iowa State golf hat on the sideline.

Iowa State honors slain golfer Celia Barquin Arozamena with ceremony before football game - Golf Digest

Iowa Lakes Golf‏ @IowaLakes_Golf
Replying to @CycloneWGOLF
The @IowaLakes_Golf men's and women's teams will be paying tribute to Celia all year with these towels, including this weekend at Veenker Memorial in Ames... In our hearts and thoughts, and on our bags and on the links #ForCelia #CBA @CycloneWGOLF
DnvMXK7W0AAu5Ml.jpg

Iowa State WGolf‏Verified account @CycloneWGOLF
Here is the wonderful videoboard tribute to Celia.
Iowa State WGolf on Twitter

I agree but when you are paroled. you are supposed to have an address. I know some are placed in motels.

True, but an inmate is usually paroled from Prison (State level) or just released when their time is done, and usually just released from jail when their sentence is completed.

If not paroled, and your time us up, you just walk away. Some prison systems encourage this, others have social workers who will try to find placement for an inmate once they are on the outside. I do think that more out placement assistance and more half-way and ex-con assistance (including subsidized housing) would help to reduce recidivism rates

Even if you are paroled or on probation, you can always go rabbit and attempt to live off of the grid, dodging your PO, and live in a homeless camp like the killer in this case.

Wow... I think I found his FB page, and his choice of cover photo is quite disturbing.
I’m pretty certain the Facebook page you found is not this man, just somebody who unfortunately shares his name. That guy doesn’t appear to be the kind of guy you’ll find living in a tent down by the river.

This whole thing just angers me so very much -- a young, talented woman, visiting the US and away from her native country, was yanked off the earth by someone who had no care for her or for the lifetime pain of those who loved her. I can't say what I feel, but I am not very proud of the USA just now and yes, I know he did this most likely by himself, but I am still very angry. SMH. Will this madness ever, ever end?

Part of me wants to institute public torture and execution... just to let people think twice about it.

At the very least, we would feel better sense of closure that justice was served. I am mad as a hornet!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lufferli
Back