IA IA - Daughter Alleges Father (Donald Studey) is Serial Killer - Searches Yielded No Evidence - Thurman

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

cocomod

Reaction score

Incredible read:

Dad Was Serial Killer, Woman says, as Cadaver Dogs Scour Field of Nightmares​

For 45 years, Lucy Studey told anyone who would listen that her father had murdered scores of young women and buried them with the help of his children. No one believed her. Cadaver dogs have now pinpointed suspected human remains at the spots she identified in a remote stretch of western Iowa, investigators told Newsweek.

"I know where the bodies are buried," Lucy Studey told Newsweek, whose reporters were at the scene of the investigation in the scrub outside Thurman, Iowa. She recalled how her father, Donald Dean Studey, would direct her and her siblings to help him as he transported bodies – using a wheelbarrow in the warmer months and a toboggan in winter.

If further investigation confirms the story, it could show that her father was one of the most prolific known serial killers in American history. Studey believes her father killed 50 to 70 women over three decades. He died in March 2013 at the age of 75.

Most of the women had dark or darkish hair, she said. All were white and she guessed that most, except for a 15-year-old runaway, were in their 20s or 30s

Odor of Decomposition​

The cadaver dogs, trained to detect human remains, went directly to the spots where Studey had said since she was a child that bodies had been buried. They went without being led by their handler, Jim Peters, who runs Samaritan Detection Dogs and did Friday's search pro bono.

I live in Iowa, albeit a different part of the state, and I just heard this story! It's absolutely insane.

(and yes, there are some people who are saying things like, "So, why did she wait almost 10 years after he died?" Maybe she was that afraid of him!

I also think authorities will be reopening investigations into the deaths of his wives. The story does say that he was known to have done a lot of other very bad things.

I live nearby although only lived in this area last ten years . But everyone says she's been saying this for 45 years. I just don't know how long this is gonna take to recover . We are talking small podunk county . They have zero funding to recover these women.

That's one reason why they want to get the FBI involved, and if anyone of the victims were indeed from Omaha, we're talking about crossing state lines and that's the FBI's jurisdiction, especially if there's any evidence of kidnapping.

Does anyone know if authorities in Omaha or Council Bluffs are reopening old cases? Or even, possibly, Kansas City, since Fremont County is in Iowa's extreme southwest?

I live in Iowa, albeit a different part of the state, and I just heard this story! It's absolutely insane.

(and yes, there are some people who are saying things like, "So, why did she wait almost 10 years after he died?" Maybe she was that afraid of him!

I also think authorities will be reopening investigations into the deaths of his wives. The story does say that he was known to have done a lot of other very bad things.

She has been telling people for years and they didn’t believe her. Here is an excerpt from the very long story:

Studey said over the years she told her story to teachers, priests and "law enforcement all over Iowa and Nebraska trying to get something done." She said the trauma of an abusive upbringing and being forced to take part in covering the bodies won't settle until the truth is told.

"No one would listen to me," Studey said. "The teacher said family matters should be handled as a family, and law enforcement has said they couldn't trust the memory of a child. I was just a kid then, but I remember it all."

They say she walked right to the well and pointed out places that the dogs verified. I believe her! This is crazy! Everyone was afraid of him, even law enforcement!

That's one reason why they want to get the FBI involved, and if anyone of the victims were indeed from Omaha, we're talking about crossing state lines and that's the FBI's jurisdiction, especially if there's any evidence of kidnapping.

Does anyone know if authorities in Omaha or Council Bluffs are reopening old cases? Or even, possibly, Kansas City, since Fremont County is in Iowa's extreme southwest?
The sheriff's office, with a budget of $1.8 million, puts the cost of boring the well at about $25,000, with a full excavation running upward of $300,000.

Meanwhile, multiple agencies are searching records on Donald Studey and missing persons to see whether any match Lucey Studey's description of the women, as well as at least two male victims – one in his 40s and one in his 20s – whom she says were buried in the well. Many of the women, according to Studey, were slender, on the shorter side with cropped dark, dirty blonde or dark red hair.

Newsweek was not immediately able to establish whether there had been matching disappearances in the area over the decades in question. Police said that if those murdered were transient or sex workers, it is possible that they were never reported missing.

I read that they have located four different burial sites on the property. I'm also aware that this man used to own more property that hasn't been included in search yet . I haven't heard of any of the surrounding areas looking into cold cases yet . I myself have looked at surrounding areas missing and I feel there is definitely a handful that could fit . Wait and see I guess. This search would not of happened now if the owner of the cadaver dogs wouldn't of donated his services . Noone would listen to her .

It also says in the Newsweek article that her dad traveled to Arkansas often. I looked at missing people cold cases in Missouri last night and there were a few possible victims. A direct route from Thurman IA to Arkansas would go through Kansas City. I didn't look at Arkansas yet. If what she says is true about the number of people, he most likely was getting his victims from a wider area than just Omaha

Taking from Newsweek..."Smith said at least two FBI agents inspected the well site more than a year ago and asked questions. The FBI Omaha office declined to speak to Newsweek or confirm that an investigation was taking place into Studey's accusations. Smith said the FBI had promised to return in August to dig up the site. Weeks ago, the FBI turned up and dug out part of the well, law enforcement sources told Newsweek. But what they found, if anything, is unclear. The Fremont County Sheriff's Department said it had not been notified ahead of time."

For 45 years, Lucy Studey told anyone who would listen that her father had murdered scores of young women and buried them with the help of his children. No one believed her. Cadaver dogs have now pinpointed suspected human remains at the spots she identified in a remote stretch of western Iowa, investigators told Newsweek.

From your link :
He was jailed in Missouri in the 1950s for petty larceny, in Omaha in 1989 for a drunk driving offence – as cops confirmed they rarely went to the trailer where he lived because they were ‘wary’ of him.
Emphasis mine.
The deceased DS must have been a terror to everyone.

Poor daughter !
Oh. Em. Gee.
Sounds like she was telling people for years and they brushed her off.
Shameful.
The trauma must have been overwhelming.
It probably still is ?
Worse than any horror movie since it was real.
For the record, I believe her.
Also the dogs alerted more than once.

Also from your link :
Both of his wives died before him, with police records confirming one died after strangling herself with an electrical cord and the other shot herself.

They need to look into this, it sounds very sketchy.
Given the accusations by the daughter which seem to have merit if the HRD dogs hitting on areas is any
proof ?
M00.

It also says in the Newsweek article that her dad traveled to Arkansas often. I looked at missing people cold cases in Missouri last night and there were a few possible victims. A direct route from Thurman IA to Arkansas would go through Kansas City. I didn't look at Arkansas yet. If what she says is true about the number of people, he most likely was getting his victims from a wider area than just Omaha
Did any seem to dit the general description given by the daughter? I read two accounts. One said dark haired, in 20’s-30’s but one approximately 15. Dark blond or red hair.
I didn’t see a time frame for the killings. Did you?

From your link :
He was jailed in Missouri in the 1950s for petty larceny, in Omaha in 1989 for a drunk driving offence – as cops confirmed they rarely went to the trailer where he lived because they were ‘wary’ of him.
Emphasis mine.
The deceased DS must have been a terror to everyone.

Poor daughter !
Oh. Em. Gee.
Sounds like she was telling people for years and they brushed her off.
Shameful.
The trauma must have been overwhelming.
It probably still is ?
Worse than any horror movie since it was real.
For the record, I believe her.
Also the dogs alerted more than once.
News reports have been saying "he had no criminal record" and he may not have - in Iowa, or at least locally. He sure did elsewhere!

Although she doesn't match the age - they have never found Regina Bos missing since 2000 in Lincoln Nebraska. She was last seen after playing guitar and signing at Duggan's Pub. There was some speculation from investigators that they had an idea of who was responsible for her disappearance, but not enough evidence to name or make an arrest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back