IA IA - Daughter Alleges Father (Donald Studey) is Serial Killer - Searches Yielded No Evidence - Thurman

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Although she doesn't match the age - they have never found Regina Bos missing since 2000 in Lincoln Nebraska. She was last seen after playing guitar and signing at Duggan's Pub. There was some speculation from investigators that they had an idea of who was responsible for her disappearance, but not enough evidence to name or make an arrest.

Surely we can get a timeline from the daughter. Saying over several decades makes it tough to start searching. Wonder when the last one she participated in occurred…

Although she doesn't match the age - they have never found Regina Bos missing since 2000 in Lincoln Nebraska. She was last seen after playing guitar and signing at Duggan's Pub. There was some speculation from investigators that they had an idea of who was responsible for her disappearance, but not enough evidence to name or make an arrest.

She fits the hair profile, just barely 40, especially if she was grabbed from behind at her trunk he may not have gotten a good look at her.

Daughter Lucy first reported 45 years ago… apparently as a child.
“Forty-five years after the daughter says she first sounded the alarm about Studey, the Fremont County Sheriff's Office, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and the FBI are investigating her allegations.”

The “farm” ie killing field is in Fremont county. It’s virtually on the borderline Nebraska and Missouri, Kansas, and close by South Dakota.
Wonder what the link to Arkansas is about? And how would a child know that the victims were sex workers or transients ie hitch hikers? That was more common in the 70’s and 80’s.
Thurman, population 167 as of the last U.S. Census, is a small city near the Iowa- Nebraska state line. Studey's property is about 40 miles from Omaha, Nebraska, officials said.

Found a few more links :

Lucy Studey's older sister, Susan Studey, told Newsweek that the allegations their father was a serial killer were untrue.

Susan Studey said by phone she believed the cadaver dogs that searched the property last week must have been fooled by animal bones, including a golden retriever buried on the land, and the remains of a stillborn sister of Donald Studey, who was buried in a shoebox on the property.

The sibling is skeptical.
Some of the comments below the article are of interest.

This article repeats much of the previous link.

I'm wondering, with some of the victims possible runaways, did he troll gas stations and bus stops, looking for women or girls who looked lost ?
And offered them a place to stay on his farm ?
M00

If this turns out to be true, forensics have advanced tremendously.
On a true crime episode on tv , they were able to locate a young lady's relatives through familial dna.
The family had some closure, but not many answers as to how she wound up two states away, as they never believed she was a runaway -- which was how her disappearance was treated.
It would be good if some families can have answers, or even a body returned to them.
If as the daughter said they were buried fully clothed, some evidence might be preserved.
M00

Did any seem to dit the general description given by the daughter? I read two accounts. One said dark haired, in 20’s-30’s but one approximately 15. Dark blond or red hair.
I didn’t see a time frame for the killings. Did you?
There were 3 missing women in KC who were sex-workers. I read so many missing person stories, I honestly would have to look again to make sure I have my facts straight. The daughter said she has been trying to tell people for 45 years, that would be about the mid 1970's when she remembers it beginning, and she said it went on for 3 decades, so till 2005 or here abouts? But the father could have been killing people farther back then the children remember though.

Found a few more links :

Lucy Studey's older sister, Susan Studey, told Newsweek that the allegations their father was a serial killer were untrue.

Susan Studey said by phone she believed the cadaver dogs that searched the property last week must have been fooled by animal bones, including a golden retriever buried on the land, and the remains of a stillborn sister of Donald Studey, who was buried in a shoebox on the property.

This article repeats much of the previous link.

I'm wondering, with some of the victims possible runaways, did he troll gas stations and bus stops, looking for women or girls who looked lost ?
And offered them a place to stay on his farm ?
M00
It doesn't make sense to me that the sister Susan says she never heard anything about bodies until a year ago. Both the sheriff and the neighbor to the land say they grew up there hearing the rumors of bodies. The neighbor said the dad called him on the phone once years ago, telling him if his daughter Lucy was telling him there were bones in the well, she was just hallucinating.

The “farm” ie killing field is in Fremont county. It’s virtually on the borderline Nebraska and Missouri, Kansas, and close by South Dakota.
Wonder what the link to Arkansas is about? And how would a child know that the victims were sex workers or transients ie hitch hikers? That was more common in the 70’s and 80’s.
Thurman, population 167 as of the last U.S. Census, is a small city near the Iowa- Nebraska state line. Studey's property is about 40 miles from Omaha, Nebraska, officials said.
It said in the first Newsweek article that Lucy stated her father was involved with transporting drugs and guns to and from Arkansas. She didn't say what kind of drugs but the meth problem in Iowa was just getting bad in the 1990's (it's very bad now) If the father had a steady supply of drugs to offer drug users, that could explain how he lured people to come with him

It doesn't make sense to me that the sister Susan says she never heard anything about bodies until a year ago. Both the sheriff and the neighbor to the land say they grew up there hearing the rumors of bodies. The neighbor said the dad called him on the phone once years ago, telling him if his daughter Lucy was telling him there were bones in the well, she was just hallucinating.
*sigh*
Yes, I've wondered that as well !

People generally have good idea of what's going on under their roofs.
Didn't she or her siblings (well Lucy for sure) see those people come to their farm, and then sort of 'vanish' ?

Of course then there's Gary Ridgeway whose own family knew nothing of his extracurricular activities.

Who knows why she is defending him IF she knows something ?
A misplaced sense of loyalty ?
It has to suck horribly to have that kind of knowledge regarding your own parent, and maybe some people cannot handle it, ever.
M00.

If this turns out to be true, forensics have advanced tremendously.
On a true crime episode on tv , they were able to locate a young lady's relatives through familial dna.
The family had some closure, but not many answers as to how she wound up two states away, as they never believed she was a runaway -- which was how her disappearance was treated.
It would be good if some families can have answers, or even a body returned to them.
If as the daughter said they were buried fully clothed, some evidence might be preserved.
M00
I wonder if Runaways in the 70-80’s were evwr reclassified as Missing?
I saw an old Wyoming newpaper clipping from the 1980’s showing Donald Studey/Study was jailed dor weiring a bad check. His roaming may have been wide and far. Wonder if he stuck close to home for victims… Omaha, Lincoln.. or the Interstate that runs close by the farm.
And about the Sheriff’s sttement that LE stayed away from the farm and trailer- did they all live in a trailer? Were the victims taken inside or did the kids just go out to help with disposal?
We do need more background. Why did he stop after the 80’s?
I’m searching 4 adjoining states now.

Do you have a link to the neighbor’s comment?
Maybe we should start a Media link. This is going to get complicated.

Fits the profile- red hair, 19. Vanished one night in Omaha 1977.
Name:
Margaret Kay Holst
Nickname:
Margie
Race:
Caucasian
DOB:
10/19/1958
Height:
5ft 6in
Weight:
125 lbs
Hair:
Red
Eyes:
Blue
Case: 06330-K
Last Known Location: Margaret was last known to have left her residence in the area of North 25th Street in Omaha. She had left a note saying she was going out with a boy she had recently met. Family and friends have not heard from or seen Margaret since that night.
Missing Persons As Of: 08/04/1977
Age when reported missing, 19.
Age to date as of 09/25/2013, 54.
Case officer is Detective Jim Reisinger (402) 444-4127

I live in Iowa, albeit a different part of the state, and I just heard this story! It's absolutely insane.

(and yes, there are some people who are saying things like, "So, why did she wait almost 10 years after he died?" Maybe she was that afraid of him!

I also think authorities will be reopening investigations into the deaths of his wives. The story does say that he was known to have done a lot of other very bad things.
I can understand the daughter waiting to report this. The severe trauma she must've gone through and I'm guessing the extreme anxiety she must've felt, maybe thinking she would be blamed and sent to prison for rest of her life. But I think the main thing would be such a horrific life would definitely take a toll and make her life completely abnormal in every way. So brave for her to come forward at all!

I can understand the daughter waiting to report this. The severe trauma she must've gone through and I'm guessing the extreme anxiety she must've felt, maybe thinking she would be blamed and sent to prison for rest of her life. But I think the main thing would be such a horrific life would definitely take a toll and make her life completely abnormal in every way. So brave for her to come forward at all!

From what I can gather, from articles listed here, she has tried to tell people for many,many years,but no-one would listen to her.
This is a very sad case. Poor woman, she must feel so alone.

Found a few more links :

Thanks for sharing. I am glad that the FBI are looking into this but the fact that her sibling is not confirming her story, for me, adds a layer of doubt to the daughter Lucy's recollections and accusations. I hope that they do a thorough search for corroborating evidence. The numbers she is recollecting seem unbelievable to me, but maybe there is some truth mixed with trauma. No matter how this all pans out, I hope Lucy gets some therapeutic help.

I hope Daily Mail is an approved source for news - if not please delete this.

The today's article says Susan is 2 years older than Lucy, a third sister couldn't be reached, the brother died by suicide at age 39. Susan says the dogs probably hit on the remains of a golden receiver, and also remains of Donald Studey's stillborn infant sister. I wonder if this farm has been in the family for generations?

Why dont they start small and dig up one spot outside of 100ft well. Go to a one of the sites she pinpointed around it. Unless he used tractor to dig reall deep to bury the victims it wouldnt be such a large ordeal as there saying to start there. If they find a victim then go for the huge undertaking of the well. Not understanding why its taken this long

“Deputy Michael Wake has lived in Tabor his whole life and had several dealings with Donald. He says something seemed off about the man.

"One time he held himself hostage with a gun, was threatening to do self-harm. We talked him out of that," Wake said.”
……
”Growing up, in the area, we'd hear stories about bodies in a well and stuff. Didn't have names associated with it and that sort of stuff, but I just thought it was worth looking into," Wake said.

Green Hollow Road is where Donald lived and the well is up in the hills.

"We found the well and people that she has said might know something. We've contacted them and got their statements. We here in the last week or so, we did take a couple of cadaver dogs up there and yes, they indicate it," Fremont County Sheriff Kevin Aistrope said.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phonekace14
Back