IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on thread one, @stickb0y7 sent a request for footage from those cameras.

This is what the reply was:

I went back into our archives and found footage requested by law enforcement for this case. There are two issues that I see with it. First off, the only footage that I have 11:30pm 11/20 – 2am 11/21. Secondly, since law enforcement tagged this footage as potentially being fatal, I am unable to release it to you without their approval. I have reached out to them and will let you know if I hear anything else. I’m sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Regards,

(name removed)
ITS Engineering CO-OP
Traffic Operations Bureau
Iowa Department of Transportation

You can read what was said in the posts here:

Back on thread one, @stickb0y7 sent a request for footage from those cameras.

This is what the reply was:

I went back into our archives and found footage requested by law enforcement for this case. There are two issues that I see with it. First off, the only footage that I have 11:30pm 11/20 – 2am 11/21. Secondly, since law enforcement tagged this footage as potentially being fatal, I am unable to release it to you without their approval. I have reached out to them and will let you know if I hear anything else. I’m sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Regards,

(name removed)
ITS Engineering CO-OP
Traffic Operations Bureau
Iowa Department of Transportation

You can read what was said in the posts here:

Oh, thank you! I didn't see where it was explored before. I found a pic of what looks like a truck entering into that camera area at 11:42 pm on 11/20 but I don't know if it's David or not. The next time stamp is several minutes after that and shows an empty intersection.

Attachments

• Workbook: Archived Camera Location.pdf
    574.5 KB · Views: 50
@calo44 By God I think you have found his truck. That sure looks like a live stock trailer. The timing of pulling into the MM126 truck stop is dead on. 11:14:50 time stamp on the photo. LE said he arrived at 11:15 according to the press release. Didn't see a shot of him leaving from that camera angle, but there is another camera below that might be him on his way west bound from the turn. Great job.
Daves Truck 1.jpg

Daves Truck.jpg
Might possibly be his truck leaving.

Daves Truck 2.jpg

IMO, the entire thing looks disorganized and the doings of DS himself. I don't think he was hauling drugs, knowingly or unknowingly, but I do suspect drugs could be involved, leading to the disorganized behavior. If that's the case, it would likely just be a matter of finding him wherever he ended up after wandering too long in the cold. JMO.
I have been wondering how long it would take for someone to say this, and by "this" I mean the involvement of drugs, namely, methamphetamine. Meth is a huge problem, and has been a huge problem, in that area (like so many other areas) for 25+ years. People you'd never expect would use it, use it. I have friends and family members that have been swept up in that life, so I'm not speaking from a place of judgment.
I am from that area, born and raised there. I am completely surprised I had no idea who DS was -- his name wasn't familiar to me at all -- even though he and I are only one year apart in age. Back in our high school days, our paths had to have crossed, more than once ... small town kids used to encounter, hang out with, date, be related to, and be friends with other nearby small town kids all the time. I have no memory of him, which is weird.
I want to be wrong about this, but the difference in his appearance in the two pictures of DS on his "missing" flyer immediately struck me like a ton of bricks. I'm interested in knowing when each photo was taken.
I don't know how, but I too have the strong feeling that drugs are involved some how, some way.
I am really hoping for answers for his family, and soon.

@calo44 By God I think you have found his truck. That sure looks like a live stock trailer. The timing of pulling into the MM126 truck stop is dead on. 11:14:50 time stamp on the photo. LE said he arrived at 11:15 according to the press release. Didn't see a shot of him leaving from that camera angle, but there is another camera below that might be him on his way west bound from the turn. Great job.
View attachment 474931

View attachment 474932

View attachment 474934
I saved the same image, the very bottom one. But that is at intersection from Eagle Grove to Highway 20, when leaving hog plant to the highway. And time stamp is 11:35.

Last edited:
I have been wondering how long it would take for someone to say this, and by "this" I mean the involvement of drugs, namely, methamphetamine. Meth is a huge problem, and has been a huge problem, in that area (like so many other areas) for 25+ years. People you'd never expect would use it, use it. I have friends and family members that have been swept up in that life, so I'm not speaking from a place of judgment.
I am from that area, born and raised there. I am completely surprised I had no idea who DS was -- his name wasn't familiar to me at all -- even though he and I are only one year apart in age. Back in our high school days, our paths had to have crossed, more than once ... small town kids used to encounter, hang out with, date, be related to, and be friends with other nearby small town kids all the time. I have no memory of him, which is weird.
I want to be wrong about this, but the difference in his appearance in the two pictures of DS on his "missing" flyer immediately struck me like a ton of bricks. I'm interested in knowing when each photo was taken.
I don't know how, but I too have the strong feeling that drugs are involved some how, some way.
I am really hoping for answers for his family, and soon.
Welcome to WS - always good to have someone local. That is indeed interesting you don't remember him, but it happens to many of us!

The drug slant has been mentioned here before in general. There are actually 2 pages of threads if you can get back to page 1, there's more to catch up on. I vascillate between many theories, but one related to your thoughts is that perhaps he took something to stay awake and it affected him more than he'd anticipated, maybe it was laced, not what he thought he was taking, so he headed north instead of south to sleep it off a bit, but for whatever reason got out of his truck and wandered/ran off in a bizarre state of mind and just hasn't been found, possibly just 10' from where a search perimeter was.

I'm glad you posted it so we can see another family member's thoughts. Sarah has mentioned in an interview that her dad thought it might be the cartel too. Likely, I'm just naive to the drug world, but DS being taken as a driver for the cartel would be very low on my list of possibilities, yet this keeps being brought up by family. I don't understand. Maybe it's the scenario that doesn't cast any shade on DS? Or they know more about living in rural Iowa than I do? IDK...
Zero possibility. The cartel, in Sac County, Iowa? Nope. Family is desperate, grasping at straws. I don’t blame them.
Welcome to WS - always good to have someone local. That is indeed interesting you don't remember him, but it happens to many of us!

The drug slant has been mentioned here before in general. There are actually 2 pages of threads if you can get back to page 1, there's more to catch up on. I vascillate between many theories, but one related to your thoughts is that perhaps he took something to stay awake and it affected him more than he'd anticipated, maybe it was laced, not what he thought he was taking, so he headed north instead of south to sleep it off a bit, but for whatever reason got out of his truck and wandered/ran off in a bizarre state of mind and just hasn't been found, possibly just 10' from where a search perimeter was.
Thank you for the welcome!
The consequences of chronic meth use sneak up on you, and can/often result in hallucinations and breaks with reality. I don’t believe he turned north to sleep anything off, or that he intended to turn north on this desolate highway in the middle of a cold night for anything other than a meet-up of some sort. And I really question even that, because there aren’t a ton of places to turn around a big rig to get back going the right direction.
We have a ton of deep snow on the ground now. I don’t think anyone will find this man until spring, at the earliest. But I believe he will be found.
This all reminds me of the Janelle Hornickel and Michael Wamsley case. Too much.
Godspeed DS.

Regarding Sarah’s interview on the “Missing Persons” podcast linked and referenced on page 62—what are your thoughts about what SS revealed regarding David voluntarily disappearing about 15 years ago?
For me, that is most definitely something to take into account.

It wasn’t that long ago. He was about 38 or so, not a teenager, or even a young adult.

Sounds as if he dashed off to evade the law instead of facing it.

People definitely can change, though. Hoping marriage and those two lovely boys did help him grow, but… for me I see it as a huge factor to take into consideration and I can certainly see now why Sarah has said there is “bad blood” between him and local PD. I can also see why perhaps she feels she isn’t getting what she feels she needs from certain authorities who may think he’s just gone off and done it again despite hearing he would never do that.

And maybe he did change, mature, but ran into some sort of situation that made him snap, or run in fear, fear for his own life or his family’s. Or ran out of shame, to hide something he couldnt face.

My mind charges daily on this case, but that was a bombshell when I heard the interview before.

I have tried to find exact location truck was found. I had thought was just south of electric substation but that is not right. Determined north of substation looks more correct. Saw there is a house with outside light and trees ahead on the right in this news article picture. Awfully close to a residence for an altercation but also where would think would head to if needed medical help.

Also noticed the poor wife had a low front left tire light on, tank was on Empty and it was dark out. That is Sad! Makes a bad night just that much worse to me.

Yes in a video I watched of the wife describing the situation she said there was just one lone isolated house in the whole area near where the truck was located.

To me, that in and of itself is odd. Does anyone know if the house is occupied or whether DS knew the persons who reside there or not? If he were in serious trouble somehow, he could have 'bolted' with his load of piggies to the nearest safe place where he could take refuge or get back up is what I'm thinking. Although why he would drive at half speed to do so is ... odd...

Re: power substation - someone I know in 'real life' went missing after openly telling his partner he was feeling self harming. Hundreds of people were searching for him including trained trackers and sniffer dogs. Everyone was at home due to lockdown and so the whole town population and surrounding areas residents were searching and the police were scrutinising every CCTV available. There was a huge public campaign. He had left on foot with none of his belongings, no money, so he could have hardly got far. No sign of him, not on any CCTV, hadn't taken any public transport. Literally disappeared. Eventually, weeks later he was found hanging inside the nearby electricity substation by a worker going about their routine job. Nobody had looked in there or suspected it as it was supposedly a secure structure and not possible to enter. I don't know how he got in there but it was completely overlooked as being a possibility when in fact it was at the same time blindingly obviously the only place he could have gone and not been seen. Just saying this as if nobody has checked the substation then they should.

JMO MOO

Yes in a video I watched of the wife describing the situation she said there was just one lone isolated house in the whole area near where the truck was located.

To me, that in and of itself is odd. Does anyone know if the house is occupied or whether DS knew the persons who reside there or not? If he were in serious trouble somehow, he could have 'bolted' with his load of piggies to the nearest safe place where he could take refuge or get back up is what I'm thinking. Although why he would drive at half speed to do so is ... odd...

Re: power substation - someone I know in 'real life' went missing after openly telling his partner he was feeling self harming. Hundreds of people were searching for him including trained trackers and sniffer dogs. Everyone was at home due to lockdown and so the whole town population and surrounding areas residents were searching and the police were scrutinising every CCTV available. There was a huge public campaign. He had left on foot with none of his belongings, no money, so he could have hardly got far. No sign of him, not on any CCTV, hadn't taken any public transport. Literally disappeared. Eventually, weeks later he was found hanging inside the nearby electricity substation by a worker going about their routine job. Nobody had looked in there or suspected it as it was supposedly a secure structure and not possible to enter. I don't know how he got in there but it was completely overlooked as being a possibility when in fact it was at the same time blindingly obviously the only place he could have gone and not been seen. Just saying this as if nobody has checked the substation then they should.

JMO MOO
There really is nothing odd about a house being far apart from another houses in farm country.
Also I don’t think we’ve ever been told he drove at 1/2 speed, just that he didn’t travel far in the time slotted. Could mean he drove slowly, could mean he stopped one or more additional times. Unless I missed clarification on that, I haven’t seen the timespan detailed by authorities.

Regarding Sarah’s interview on the “Missing Persons” podcast linked and referenced on page 62—what are your thoughts about what SS revealed regarding David voluntarily disappearing about 15 years ago?

As they say, the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.

We would need to know a lot more about this past 'voluntary disappearance' I think. Hard to believe he had ever disappeared to this magnitude? How did he come back from it? Also he didn't have his children and wife back then right? (I mean any children or wife, right??)

I do believe that people can default to a primal reactive state when severely triggered as I've seen it happen in people I've known over the years and sadly I have known people take their own lives in that state when they'd been doing OK for say 10, 15, years suddenly they're back doing the same thing as last time. A form of emotional relapse or collapse.

JMO MOO

There really is nothing odd about a house being far apart from another houses in farm country.
Also I don’t think we’ve ever been told he drove at 1/2 speed, just that he didn’t travel far in the time slotted. Could mean he drove slowly, could mean he stopped one or more additional times. Unless I missed clarification on that, I haven’t seen the timespan detailed by authorities.

I think it was said the final leg of his journey (after he turned off in the wrong direction from Wiechman's) was 20 minutes from A to B but at a usual travelling speed would have taken half that time. So he either drove slowly or made stops, I'm unclear on this too and maybe no-one knows.

IMO this was possibly where it was no longer him driving the truck.

JMO

I would say the only 'odd' thing about a nearby residence is that it's far from any other structure or home, ie isolated, and it becomes notable by default in relational terms if it is also the nearest thing and actually close by to where the truck was located. Bearing in mind the truck was also 'off track', oddly parked, on a route whereby the driver couldn't turn back on themselves as the quality of side roads weren't suited for a truck, and the driver has also completely disappeared.

At that point, anything becomes related by dint of geography and human life - a household residence, presumably occupied at some point, relatively in the middle of nowhere, is the nearest and only structure close to an abandoned truck that was being driven by a human who is now missing.

JMO MOO

View attachment 474931

View attachment 474932

View attachment 474934
Did you by chance watch for any vehicles 20-30 min before and after? Just curious if someone else met him there?

also on camera R63, bridges, would be where they “see him in his truck” I would guess…. I feel like it would be tough to positively identify off that camera.. maybe that night was clearer..

Last edited:
Did you by chance watch for any vehicles 20-30 min before and after? Just curious if someone else met him there?

also on camera R63, bridges, would be where they “see him in his truck” I would guess…. I feel like it would be tough to positively identify off that camera.. maybe that night was clearer..
No, I did however try and find his truck on it's way to Eagle Grove on the DOT camera shots from 11-20-2023 around the time he should have traveled through those areas, which I didn't have any luck doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx