Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think Iowa has a lab dedicated solely to post-mortem toxicology tests. They probably have a lot of their plate, overworked and understaffed just like everyone else. And I don't think it helps that this is surely very low priority.
Very true. I guess I am bemoaning the low priority. We will wait. I still say there is more involved here than wht has been offered.

Can you summarize, please? The article says it's behind a paywall.
The Sioux city journal article states that the results of David Schultz's autopsy report conclude that his death was NOT a homicide, stated by state investigators and for that reason, may never be released to the public. According to special agent in charge at the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigations Darrell Simmons, normally if it was a homicide, that information would be released to the public. However, since it is not being ruled a homicide, the autopsy information may never be released publicly since there's really.no threat to the community. Sac county attorney Ben Smith said that his office will put out a press release after the DCI agent who has been helping local law enforcement with the investigation returns from vacation. Ben Smith says they plan to comment on the case in the coming days.

The Sioux city journal article states that the results of David Schultz's autopsy report conclude that his death was NOT a homicide, stated by state investigators and for that reason, may never be released to the public. According to special agent in charge at the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigations Darrell Simmons, normally if it was a homicide, that information would be released to the public. However, since it is not being ruled a homicide, the autopsy information may never be released publicly since there's really.no threat to the community. Sac county attorney Ben Smith said that his office will put out a press release after the DCI agent who has been helping local law enforcement with the investigation returns from vacation. Ben Smith says they plan to comment on the case in the coming days.
Thanks, D33go, much appreciated.

That's the most baloney thing I've ever heard, not releasing the cause of death because they ruled it not a homicide? And not even releasing a statement because someone is on vacation?? What are these folks trying to hide?

Not surprised. Where the body was found pretty much ruled out foul play. You can’t magically transport a body to the middle of a field of corn stalk stubble without leaving evidence of the transport method. I don’t necessarily believe we the public deserve the exact details on cause of death either in cases like this.
There’s always a tendency on these forums (and other places) to come up with theories of foul play even when the logical explanation is no foul play.
Perfect example is the claim the body wasn’t there the whole time from the search group.

Families do have the right to keep the truth to themselves, but when they've been begging for help (and money) the way Sarah has, it always feels quite ungrateful to not give *everyone* some closure.

With everything else about the case being so public, the most logical explanation for not revealing the CoD is that it would either harm David's reputation, hurt his children, make Sarah look bad, or a combination of all three. If he just had a heart attack or a stroke there wouldn't be much point in hiding it.

Families do have the right to keep the truth to themselves, but when they've been begging for help (and money) the way Sarah has, it always feels quite ungrateful to not give *everyone* some closure.

With everything else about the case being so public, the most logical explanation for not revealing the CoD is that it would either harm David's reputation, hurt his children, make Sarah look bad, or a combination of all three. If he just had a heart attack or a stroke there wouldn't be much point in hiding it.
BBM - I couldn't agree more. But at the same time, I'm comfortable that toxicology gave the answers I was expecting. I really don't need her to spin that. It's over. No crime. I wish her and the kids well as they cope with it and move on with their lives.

Not surprised. Where the body was found pretty much ruled out foul play. You can’t magically transport a body to the middle of a field of corn stalk stubble without leaving evidence of the transport method. I don’t necessarily believe we the public deserve the exact details on cause of death either in cases like this.
There’s always a tendency on these forums (and other places) to come up with theories of foul play even when the logical explanation is no foul play.
Perfect example is the claim the body wasn’t there the whole time from the search group.
There have been situations where a man/body was carried over another mans shoulder almost a mile from one place to another. Advance to 155 days later, normal weather and wind conditions, with the debris being redistributed and affected, there would not be any readily identifiable traces of the transport. Not like you drove a 4 wheel drive out there with rice and cane field tires cutting 6 inch ruts.
Lets go back a ways. When and where did he ingest whatever caused this"
Must have been at the stop sign on the ramp, as all was normal till then.
Fast acting, immediately went wrong way? But not powerful enough to keep him from driving a ways (slowly yes), but shut down normally, walk away in a chaotic circle. If kicked in earlier, a serious driving accident on 20 as he travelled.
I personally wonder what you would have left of a body after 155 days in open field. There are many many forms of wildlife that would be attracted.
To many variables and to many different reactions from SS and LE.

Death certificate: Trucker David Schultz died from hypothermia related to methamphetamine intoxication​

---
Dr. Kelly Kruse, a state medical examiner, listed Schultz's manner of death as an accident, according to the death certificate, a copy of which was obtained by The Journal.
The immediate cause of death was listed as: "Hypothermia In the Setting of Acute Drug (methamphetamine) Intoxication." In the "description of injury line," the medical examiner listed: "Ingested drug and exposed to environmental cold."
---

Death certificate: Trucker David Schultz died from hypothermia related to methamphetamine intoxication​

---
Dr. Kelly Kruse, a state medical examiner, listed Schultz's manner of death as an accident, according to the death certificate, a copy of which was obtained by The Journal.
The immediate cause of death was listed as: "Hypothermia In the Setting of Acute Drug (methamphetamine) Intoxication." In the "description of injury line," the medical examiner listed: "Ingested drug and exposed to environmental cold."
---

My gut feeling is that this was his attempt to stay awake. I thought from the beginning he could have had a psychosis or medical emergency related to using stimulants. Didn’t he also drink coffee? That wouldn’t have helped. This is sad and I feel so sorry for him and his wife and kids. I hope other truckers are made aware of the acute dangers of using to stay awake and alert to drive all night.

Most likely David took the meth at the final truck stop, began to feel the effects as he drove along the highway, and could no longer keep going once he reached the intersection. He probably pulled off onto the quieter Union Avenue thinking he could sleep it off or would feel better in a few minutes.

He may have been falling in and out of consciousness, explaining the long time it took for the truck to reach its final destination. He may even have been looking for a house with lights still on, or a property where he knew the owners. We'll probably never know the details. But sadly he froze to death in a field.

I just hope he wasn't still alive when the searches first started. It would be tragic if he could have been saved but was missed.

---
---

This is so sad. Terrible loss for his family.

Most likely David took the meth at the final truck stop, began to feel the effects as he drove along the highway, and could no longer keep going once he reached the intersection. He probably pulled off onto the quieter Union Avenue thinking he could sleep it off or would feel better in a few minutes.

He may have been falling in and out of consciousness, explaining the long time it took for the truck to reach its final destination. He may even have been looking for a house with lights still on, or a property where he knew the owners. We'll probably never know the details. But sadly he froze to death in a field.

I just hope he wasn't still alive when the searches first started. It would be tragic if he could have been saved but was missed.
This was discussed right when he disappeared, he wasn't even wearing a coat and the temperature was too low for him not have passed within hours, assuming he was out in the open. Record low on the 21st, -10, on the 22nd the low was 19 degrees.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth
Back