Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If anything this just shows that there's no reason to get out of big rig for another motorist and no way David would have done it...

That all depends. If there was a women standing outside of a car parked on the exit with the flashers on in the wee hours of the morning, would substantially increase the reasons someone might pull over and get out to help.

JMO

Especially if she feigned injury or having been attacked. Torn clothing, hair in disarray, frantically stumbling around.
But Ole Ish; in the day, would have surveyed the scene a minute or two for motion in the car, then got out with a pistol in my hand. Shoot her if weapon appeared or whoever come out of the car. Scene would change swiftly when she saw the ploy was busted. Not clear if DM carried in the truck or not.
Whether or not David would have stopped for a woman in distress or a team of Mexican bandits, still begs to answer the question, why would he have been stopped? The rig wasn’t stolen. The pigs weren’t stolen. The wallet, the cash, the cell phone weren’t stolen. Only David was stolen.
The only thing that would make sense to me in this type of scenario would be a personal grudge. Someone that David knew flagged him down as he came to a stop at his exit ramp and asked him for a ride somewhere up Union Ave/N14 where bad things happened. But then what?
Signs still seem to point to a voluntary disappearance; either for self harm or to get a new life. David’s words to his wife, “I can’t take this anymore”, speak volumes.

I picture a scenario like this. Individuals, possibly known to David parked in a vehicle on the exit with the flasher on. They know David will be coming this way (Sarah, Les Brown, Other drivers who work for same company, Mechanic, David himself) and when they see a truck approaching with the porch light sign "Brown" on the front of the trailer a women exits the vehicle and starts waving her arms and David pulls over. David then gets out of the truck to give assistance and is ambushed by one or more individuals lying in wait. David is then put into the car, dead or alive, and the truck is driven north by one of the individuals with the car following. Or David may have been forced to drive the truck from the exit north to where the truck was found.

The motive could be one or more of these people owe money to David or this was in retaliation for something David has or has not done or was about to do. David could have known about criminal activity these individual were up to and and wanted to silence David from making it known.

JMO

I picture a scenario like this. Individuals, possibly known to David parked in a vehicle on the exit with the flasher on. They know David will be coming this way (Sarah, Les Brown, Other drivers who work for same company, Mechanic, David himself) and when they see a truck approaching with the porch light sign "Brown" on the front of the trailer a women exits the vehicle and starts waving her arms and David pulls over. David then gets out of the truck to give assistance and is ambushed by one or more individuals lying in wait. David is then put into the car, dead or alive, and the truck is driven north by one of the individuals with the car following. Or David may have been forced to drive the truck from the exit north to where the truck was found.

The motive could be one or more of these people owe money to David or this was in retaliation for something David has or has not done or was about to do. David could have known about criminal activity these individual were up to and and wanted to silence David from making it known.

JMO
Agree...I think that will be the basic outline when/if this is solved

"They're not robots, they're not without feelings," Sac County Attorney Ben Smith said Thursday.

Social media users have since taken a standoffish tone with law enforcement, including the Sac County Sheriff's Office, on the case. In December, Sac County Sheriff Ken McClure lamented "a whole bunch of keyboard detectives and Perry Masons out here" second-guessing the work of officers.

Smith said that, in his experience, few if any missing-persons cases or cold cases have been pursued as tirelessly as Schultz's disappearance.

"I know probably about six or seven officers and investigators that didn't have a Thanksgiving," he said. "They were working on this the whole time. I was one of them. The same for Christmas, a lot of time that normally would be spent with families, was spent expending extra hours in searching, trying to find David."

JMO
I agree. If foul play is involved, this is the most plausible explanation. I also agree that the most likely spot for this to happen was at the exit ramp, because he would have had to come to a complete stop before turning left or right. The LE timeline indicates there were no stops after Marker 126 until he got to that exit.
Speaking of Marker 126, if as his wife stated, David was tired, anxious to get home, had visiting family, etc., why was he scrolling away on his phone while he was stopped there? Killing time? Was he arranging a meetup? Checking messages for…….?
We have been told that his last known contact was by phone with a relative in the early morning hours of Tuesday. Who was the relative and what was the conversation? Was that when he was stopped at Marker 126? Because after that would put him in the timeframe of his disappearance.
Finally, SS believes that David was taken by more than one person. She always refers to them as “they” not he. She hinted weeks ago that LE gave her some confidential information that would soon be public knowledge. Crickets.
It’s a conundrum that’s for sure.

***********NOTHING BUT MOO*************

I have been trying to type up something over and over all morning but every time I manage to poke a hole in my own storyline/timeline/idea of what the heck could of happened to this guy. I adopted a slang a long time ago when starting to get into computers and IT stuff, K.I.S.S it stands for keep it simple stupid... lol... basically just for us IT people means maybe restart before you just into hard trouble shooting, simple fixes are usually it, its not ALWAYS complicated. And i keep thinking back to that because the case just seems too Bizarre.

In my opinion if someone followed DS, maybe got ahead of him, blocked of the road, say a person with a grudge, there would be no evidence because theres no skid marks IF they are smart.. if.. and even if someone did that (heres the hole in the idea..) whos to say DS wouldnt just go over or around?

But say he stops... why are the headlights off.

Whichever way it goes.... if he got out say he wasnt feeling good or taking a breather he wouldnt turn those off.? I remember hearing they were off.

If he got out expecting trouble, a fight, or say having a medical issue maybe, that to me would explain the jacket, if its trouble and he saw it coming and it was enough to make him get out of that truck in the middle of the night like that.. maybe he took the jacket off wanting to be able to move for a fight. MOO

He indeed would have left his wallet and phone because he wasnt worried about it, he'd of been in go mode is the feeling i get from really thinking about it.

But why go BACK just to turn the headlights off if thats the case, if its a fight and the other person wins, maybe to not attract attention... but if you know itll be found eventually youd think youd want a bit more time for them to NOT know who the owner was... which means take the phone and the wallet.

I know these are getting brought up a lot but again, the headlights, were there for sure off? Does a 1999 version truck like that not have maybe an automatic cut off time if they're left on??

My heart really goes out to his family cause just wondering what what could it have been for already this amount of time i can image has to be so hard on them..

*MOOO*

***********NOTHING BUT MOO*************

I have been trying to type up something over and over all morning but every time I manage to poke a hole in my own storyline/timeline/idea of what the heck could of happened to this guy. I adopted a slang a long time ago when starting to get into computers and IT stuff, K.I.S.S it stands for keep it simple stupid... lol... basically just for us IT people means maybe restart before you just into hard trouble shooting, simple fixes are usually it, its not ALWAYS complicated. And i keep thinking back to that because the case just seems too Bizarre.

In my opinion if someone followed DS, maybe got ahead of him, blocked of the road, say a person with a grudge, there would be no evidence because theres no skid marks IF they are smart.. if.. and even if someone did that (heres the hole in the idea..) whos to say DS wouldnt just go over or around?

But say he stops... why are the headlights off.

Whichever way it goes.... if he got out say he wasnt feeling good or taking a breather he wouldnt turn those off.? I remember hearing they were off.

If he got out expecting trouble, a fight, or say having a medical issue maybe, that to me would explain the jacket, if its trouble and he saw it coming and it was enough to make him get out of that truck in the middle of the night like that.. maybe he took the jacket off wanting to be able to move for a fight. MOO

He indeed would have left his wallet and phone because he wasnt worried about it, he'd of been in go mode is the feeling i get from really thinking about it.

But why go BACK just to turn the headlights off if thats the case, if its a fight and the other person wins, maybe to not attract attention... but if you know itll be found eventually youd think youd want a bit more time for them to NOT know who the owner was... which means take the phone and the wallet.

I know these are getting brought up a lot but again, the headlights, were there for sure off? Does a 1999 version truck like that not have maybe an automatic cut off time if they're left on??

My heart really goes out to his family cause just wondering what what could it have been for already this amount of time i can image has to be so hard on them..

*MOOO*
I would be almost an instinct when a truck driver gets out of their truck along the road to put on the emergency flashers.
And that when stopping after dark, the headlights may be turned off but the marker lights are often left on even in parking lots let alone on the road.
Also when stopping it's not uncommon to leave a diesel truck idling rather than shut it off. A diesel can idle a long time on little fuel.
Everything completely shut off is very suspicious.

Just saw a news story they increased his reward to 25,000 and his parents went on the news about the story
I would be almost an instinct when a truck driver gets out of their truck along the road to put on the emergency flashers.
And that when stopping after dark, the headlights may be turned off but the marker lights are often left on even in parking lots let alone on the road.
Also when stopping it's not uncommon to leave a diesel truck idling rather than shut it off. A diesel can idle a long time on little fuel.
On top of it being the wrong side of the road, its just like he SAW something and got out whatever happened happened he didnt come back and THEN they went in and just bloop flipped all the lights off... take away attention i suppose... but why not the wallet if you dont want attention, literally tells anyone who the person that owns the truck is.

But if that were the case i THINK it sounded like they found it in the day and they also took it to investigate in the day.. so maybe the lights wouldn't be needed, so if its like a regular vehicle... no ive never sat in one lol... then maybe print wise nobody would have touched that. Of course thats assuming prints were even taken. Cant be too hopeful on that one either because of the comment about fingerprints.

Last week I hit the WV Turnpike (Interstates 77/64 between Charleston and Princeton, and the main artery through here to the south) before sunrise. All of the rest areas, toll plazas, and even some of the broader entry and exit ramps were lined with parked rigs. I probably saw nearly a hundred parked trucks and not one didn't have running lights of some sort showing.

It was oddly...cozy? All those drivers tucked up in their sleepers out in the middle of nowhere. Kind of comforting. Anyway, going completely dark is a good way to get hit, and you're idling anyway most of the time, so may as well keep it lit. (I did not mean to rhyme that)

Just saw a news story they increased his reward to 25,000 and his parents went on the news about the story

On top of it being the wrong side of the road, its just like he SAW something and got out whatever happened happened he didnt come back and THEN they went in and just bloop flipped all the lights off... take away attention i suppose... but why not the wallet if you dont want attention, literally tells anyone who the person that owns the truck is.

But if that were the case i THINK it sounded like they found it in the day and they also took it to investigate in the day.. so maybe the lights wouldn't be needed, so if its like a regular vehicle... no ive never sat in one lol... then maybe print wise nobody would have touched that. Of course thats assuming prints were even taken. Cant be too hopeful on that one either because of the comment about fingerprints.
Wait - his truck wasn't parked in oncoming traffic - It was just in the right lane, headed north.

The "he saw something and stopped" theory doesn't make sense to me unless it's like @Joe Friday said - and it happened at his exit - the critical moment between going to work and ending up where he did. The 22 minutes between his 12:18 arrival at that intersection and the 4.5 miles north where they state the truck was left at 12:40 - that's a long time to go 4.5 miles.

I really just can't see someone staging a dramatic diversion to fool him into stopping if they didn't take the truck, the cash, the pigs - just him. Trafficking a middle aged trucker in Iowa seems impossible. What other reason is there for someone to pull a damsel in distress con? The choices get pretty narrow at that point.

Planned meetup that either went right or went wrong just seem so much more likely. He checks on the meetup at MM126 on his phone - the meetup was probably supposed to happen near the exit, or even where the truck ended up, as it's off the beaten path. And then ( ) happened. I still think the fact that in her LE interview they were asking detailed sexual questions that she found traumatic is significant.

Wait - his truck wasn't parked in oncoming traffic - It was just in the right lane, headed north.

The "he saw something and stopped" theory doesn't make sense to me unless it's like @Joe Friday said - and it happened at his exit - the critical moment between going to work and ending up where he did. The 22 minutes between his 12:18 arrival at that intersection and the 4.5 miles north where they state the truck was left at 12:40 - that's a long time to go 4.5 miles.

I really just can't see someone staging a dramatic diversion to fool him into stopping if they didn't take the truck, the cash, the pigs - just him. Trafficking a middle aged trucker in Iowa seems impossible. What other reason is there for someone to pull a damsel in distress con? The choices get pretty narrow at that point.

Planned meetup that either went right or went wrong just seem so much more likely. He checks on the meetup at MM126 on his phone - the meetup was probably supposed to happen near the exit, or even where the truck ended up, as it's off the beaten path. And then ( ) happened. I still think the fact that in her LE interview they were asking detailed sexual questions that she found traumatic is significant.
I must have missed the LE Interview you are referring too. Where is that information coming from?

I must have missed the LE Interview you are referring too. Where is that information coming from?

I think it's referring to comments Sarah has made about when LE interviewed her. I can't remember if it was in one of her FB posts or one of the podcast interviews she has done.

If I remember correctly, Sarah said she was traumatised because it was a male officer interviewing her, and he kept asking questions about David possibly having another woman in his life. The officer asked a lot of questions about David's sexual history that Sarah felt were inappropriate.

It's one of her longer, early interviews - there's discussion on it in the second thread here on the case too. She was saying how traumatizing it was that they had a male officer asking her questions like that. I think it's her first interview she did.

bbm
I think, truckers have a certain image, how to get rid of their boredom during their driving, and LE perhaps had a clue of the possible motive. It is an image, which won't fit with every trucker, but.

And then ( ) happened. I still think the fact that in her LE interview they were asking detailed sexual questions that she found traumatic is significant
It would not be significant for routine questions to be asked including marital sex habits/interests, *advertiser censored*, prostitution, online activity etc. any more than detailed questions about spending habits, drug use, etc. Any odd behavior, anything embarrassing that could be exposed? None of which should be explored here unless made public by the family or LE.

I'm sure that the officer that interviewed her explained that uncomfortable questions had to be asked, but possibly, she was already traumatized and no matter how gentle the questions may have been asked, she found them offensive, especially when asked by a male. Not all department have a female available at all times to do this part of the investigation. And I'm not ruling out the officer was insensitive and/or lacked training. MOO

It would not be significant for routine questions to be asked including marital sex habits/interests, *advertiser censored*, prostitution, online activity etc. any more than detailed questions about spending habits, drug use, etc. Any odd behavior, anything embarrassing that could be exposed? None of which should be explored here unless made public by the family or LE.

I'm sure that the officer that interviewed her explained that uncomfortable questions had to be asked, but possibly, she was already traumatized and no matter how gentle the questions may have been asked, she found them offensive, especially when asked by a male. Not all department have a female available at all times to do this part of the investigation. And I'm not ruling out the officer was insensitive and/or lacked training. MOO
There was a female detective from Sac County quoted in the Dateline article. I'm only guessing but I would think that female detective could have been made available to interview Sarah. Not like it was a life or death situation when the interview needed to be done on the spur of the moment and was likely scheduled ahead of time.

Detective Kathryn Stange from the Sac County Sheriff’s Office told Dateline that David’s truck was located on Union Avenue in Sac County, Iowa, after Sarah reported him missing on November 21.https://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/missing-in-america/family-holding-hope-iowa-trucker-david-schultz-was-last-seen-november-rcna136478?fbclid=IwAR00svaSY-4DYLFFPYH2uDB6cWfavSaLlMKj9SUGN9o9lVPFYNo4FvbTGV0

There was a female detective from Sac County quoted in the Dateline article. I'm only guessing but I would think that female detective could have been made available to interview Sarah. Not like it was a life or death situation when the interview needed to be done on the spur of the moment and was likely scheduled ahead of time.

Detective Kathryn Stange from the Sac County Sheriff’s Office told Dateline that David’s truck was located on Union Avenue in Sac County, Iowa, after Sarah reported him missing on November 21.https://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/missing-in-america/family-holding-hope-iowa-trucker-david-schultz-was-last-seen-november-rcna136478?fbclid=IwAR00svaSY-4DYLFFPYH2uDB6cWfavSaLlMKj9SUGN9o9lVPFYNo4FvbTGV0
Sac County Sheriff's Office and has 10 sworn members. They are spread terribly thin. I don't find any fault with whoever they had available or choose to send to talk to the wife. In my opinion, at the time, it was an urgent matter, and any information could have potentially led to recovering the victim.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellerybeans
Back