IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SFSBM

If the semi truck was parked on the main county road (N14) in the dark, with the lights off, that is certainly not something that would be encounter on a regular basis or would be brushed off as just being related to agriculture.

If a truck driver was intentionally parked there or was forced to stop in the middle of the road due to mechanical issues, the flashers should be on (day or night) and the lights should most definatly be on as well. There would be little chance of someone nearly colliding with the truck if the flasher or lights were on. If a commercial vehicle is disabled reflective triangles which are required to be carried by law in every commercial vehicle must be set up within 10 minutes, day or night, this is also a requirement of federal law.
Has it been reported if the lights were on at any point while it was parked in the road? Or was it parked and turned off the entire time? Was it left On and ran out of fuel? If it was turned off then I would speculate that DS did not drive it there. Normally, if the driver is just hopping out of the cab for a moment they won't shut it down. It would be great to know if the key was in the ON or OFF position upon discovery.

My speculation is that if the key was in the ON position and ran out of fuel, something bad happened to DS at the site where the truck was found. If the key was in the OFF position, it was either dropped there by a third party or intentionally abandoned by DS.

This is all JMO, but I think the fact that the truck sat on the road for 12 hours before being reported tells us all we need to know about how many people brush off seeing something like that. N14 probably does not have heavy traffic, but I would say it's a safe bet to assume at least a couple dozen people saw it and didn't call anyone to report it.

Has it been reported if the lights were on at any point while it was parked in the road? Or was it parked and turned off the entire time? Was it left On and ran out of fuel? If it was turned off then I would speculate that DS did not drive it there. Normally, if the driver is just hopping out of the cab for a moment they won't shut it down. It would be great to know if the key was in the ON or OFF position upon discovery.

My speculation is that if the key was in the ON position and ran out of fuel, something bad happened to DS at the site where the truck was found. If the key was in the OFF position, it was either dropped there by a third party or intentionally abandoned by DS.

This is all JMO, but I think the fact that the truck sat on the road for 12 hours before being reported tells us all we need to know about how many people brush off seeing something like that. N14 probably does not have heavy traffic, but I would say it's a safe bet to assume at least a couple dozen people saw it and didn't call anyone to report it.

Interesting, we don't know if the keys were found in the truck or not, do we? Only the wallet and phone mentioned as far as I've read.

According to this latest article, his truck was turned off. It does not specify if the keys were inside the truck.
That article says "it wasn't running" so I wonder if DS or someone else left it running and it eventually ran out of fuel, or if the ignition was physically turned OFF.

That article says "it wasn't running" so I wonder if DS or someone else left it running and it eventually ran out of fuel, or if the ignition was physically turned OFF.
I'm not for sure but I doubt he ran out of fuel initially since he was just near the Sparkys truck stop, he could've stopped and got some diesel if he was low. Also, if I'm not mistaken, don't most semi's have a backup tank or a duel diesel system? I know when my dad drove truck, he did.

No one that I know of has come forward to report that the lights were on or off. Since David's wife's friend almost collided with the truck at 5:30 AM when it would have been dark, it's only fair to say the lights must have been off.

It depends on which article you read regarding if the truck was turned off or just not running. I don't think anyone other than maybe LE knows if the actual ignition switch was on or off.

I believe it was Jake from United Cajun Navy that first said that the truck was "turned off". It has been included in MSM articles. While some articles say the truck wasn't running. A few of the articles I linked below.

A truck such as this holds between 200 and 300 gallons of fuel. Fuel burn for an idling truck is around one gallon per hour. Miles per gallon between 5 and 7. If there were less than 12 gallons of fuel in the truck the fuel gauge would have read empty.

If David was driving that truck I don't think he would have gone past a truck stop with such little fuel in the tanks and not put fuel in the truck if in fact he was at Sparky's. I defiantly don't think David would have turned north from Hwy 20 on purpose with little to no fuel. Also I doubt David would have gone to Sac City with little to no fuel if something happened there and someone else drove the truck to where it was found and the truck maybe ran out of fuel in the middle of the road or the truck was just left abandon sitting in the middle of the road but the engine still running and the truck simply ran out of fuel from idling.

JMO

The truck reportedly was turned off, but it wasn't pulled completely off the side of the road. The pigs were still in the trailer.

The truck was found later that afternoon, less than 10 miles northeast of his destination, a livestock dealer in Sac City, according to Jake Rowley, the regional team leader of United Cajun Navy, a nonprofit search-and-rescue organization that typically responds to natural disasters. Schultz's truck wasn't running when it was found in the middle of the two-lane highway. It was facing northbound, Rowley said, even though it should have been headed southbound to get to Sac City.

Schultz’s truck wasn’t running when it was found in the middle of the two-lane highway. It was facing northbound, Rowley said, even though it should have been headed southbound to get to Sac City.

I feel the police got this. Just waiting to get more evidence before the arrest. With phone pings and cameras, they will solve this. Praying for his family.
Today will provide more information for us; a reward. Jake Rowley, United Cajun Army, stated he was going to speak with LE, the banks and other sources to see if he can get a reward in place after searching 100,000 acres (per an earlier post by me). If LE has the answers, I am not so sure they would support offering a reward. IMO

The one with updated posts about David no longer seems to be there for me. I bookmarked it last week and says it is now not available. However her one she has not accessed since 2020 is available still there for me. Perhaps it is from my end.
That's so strange! Maybe a reboot of your device ...

According to this latest article, his truck was turned off. It does not specify if the keys were inside the truck.
"Hundreds of people have volunteered to search for Schultz, but after scouring 100,000 acres near the highway, the effort was paused as searchers considered their next steps. Leaders of the search were convinced they would have found Schultz if he had wandered off because of a medical emergency or some other problem.

Iowa’s Division of Criminal Investigation is assisting the Sac County Sheriff’s Office and the Lake View Police Department in the case. Iowa DCI referred The Associated Press to the Sac County Sheriff’s Office, which declined to comment on the active investigation.

BBM/

I am curious as to whether David’s wife, Sarah, got her timeline of the truck being parked from 3:30 am to 3:30 pm the next day from LE.
We know she said her friend saw it at approximately 5:30 am and “almost hit it”.
David’s boss came by the house that morning looking for David (etu*) and said they couldn’t find him.
Sarah said the truck was found “later that morning”. etu*
Sarah said the police called her from David’s cell phone “later that afternoon“. etu*
Did someone report to her or LE that they saw the truck parked at 3:30 am at the location it was found?
*etu - exact time unknown

From this article: Wife pleads to help find husband who went missing in Sac County
“Sarah said that David’s boss arrived at her house Tuesday morning saying that they couldn’t find David. David was supposed to deliver a load of hogs from Eagle Grove to Sac City. After a search between the two cities, his truck was found Tuesday morning on the road, not pulled over, on northbound Highway 71 about five miles north of the Old Highway 20 intersection.

Sarah said the police called her from his phone Tuesday afternoon. She added that a friend of hers had nearly hit the truck earlier around 5:30 a.m. His wallet and phone were in the truck as well.”

In a different story, the truck was reportedly found in the afternoon -
From this article: Wall Lake trucker's wife makes plea for help after his disappearance

My husband would never do that," she said. "It had been parked there, I'm guessing, for about 12 hours from 3:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. People drove around it all day -- a big red truck -- and didn't turn it in."

I am curious as to whether David’s wife, Sarah, got her timeline of the truck being parked from 3:30 am to 3:30 pm the next day from LE.
We know she said her friend saw it at approximately 5:30 am and “almost hit it”.
David’s boss came by the house that morning looking for David (etu*) and said they couldn’t find him.
Sarah said the truck was found “later that morning”. etu*
Sarah said the police called her from David’s cell phone “later that afternoon“. etu*
Did someone report to her or LE that they saw the truck parked at 3:30 am at the location it was found?
*etu - exact time unknown

From this article: Wife pleads to help find husband who went missing in Sac County
“Sarah said that David’s boss arrived at her house Tuesday morning saying that they couldn’t find David. David was supposed to deliver a load of hogs from Eagle Grove to Sac City. After a search between the two cities, his truck was found Tuesday morning on the road, not pulled over, on northbound Highway 71 about five miles north of the Old Highway 20 intersection.

Sarah said the police called her from his phone Tuesday afternoon. She added that a friend of hers had nearly hit the truck earlier around 5:30 a.m. His wallet and phone were in the truck as well.”

In a different story, the truck was reportedly found in the afternoon -
From this article: Wall Lake trucker's wife makes plea for help after his disappearance

My husband would never do that," she said. "It had been parked there, I'm guessing, for about 12 hours from 3:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. People drove around it all day -- a big red truck -- and didn't turn it in."
I think the truck was found earlier in the morning and Sarah received a call later in the afternoon. Perhaps LE didn't inform her when the truck was found and is just going by when she received the call from LE on David's phone as the time the truck was found.

For what it's worth, I have found posts on FB saying that a coworker of the person making the post seen the truck and to check N14 north of D15. That post was made Tuesday Nov 21 at 3:49PM

Another post made by the same person minutes later at 3:51 PM said the police are there.

These posts are under a post by David's wife made at Nov 21 3:19 PM and she makes no mention of the truck being found then, only that her husband is missing, they are worried sick and for anyone with information to message her.

Last edited:
David’s old truck had his name painted on the cab door. I don’t see it on the photo we have of his current truck.
If he was, in fact, targeted, it sure would be easy to find your victim if his vehicle has his name in foot high letters right on the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpeg
    IMG_0148.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 36
David’s old truck had his name painted on the cab door. I don’t see it on the photo we have of his current truck.
If he was, in fact, targeted, it sure would be easy to find your victim if his vehicle has his name in foot high letters right on the outside.
A lot of the trucks around here have their names on them. Nothing unusual about that. Imo

Re the news article posted about the search:
"Hundreds of people have volunteered to search for Schultz, but after scouring 100,000 acres near the highway, the effort was paused as searchers considered their next steps."

There are too many cases where a person's remains have been found in areas "previously searched".
A thorough search requires a grid search, with searchers walking while spread down a line. I don't know how anyone can claim they "scoured" 100,000 acres.

I think the truck was found earlier in the morning and Sarah received a call later in the afternoon. Perhaps LE didn't inform her when the truck was found and is just going by when she received the call from LE on David's phone as the time the truck was found.

For what it's worth, I have found posts on FB saying that a coworker of the person making the post seen the truck and to check N14 north of D15. That post was made Tuesday Nov 21 at 3:49PM

Another post made by the same person minutes later at 3:51 PM said the police are there.
I agree. And I am thinking the 3:30 am time was based on whatever time David had last known contact with somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member