IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is strictly my own opinion but what was David doing before he arrived in Eagle Grove to pick up the piglets. According to LE timeline, he left home at 7 in Wall Lake. According to Google maps, from Wall lake to Eagle Grove is approximately 1 hr 27 minutes. He also showed up late and last to load and David left about 10:50 from the load out barn. I think his before time is just as important as what happened after.

I'd like to see a list of people who knew where DS was loading and unloading that night. If he was targeted, for a personal reason, someone had to be privy to his route on short notice, especially if this was a previously unplanned delivery.

This is strictly my own opinion but what was David doing before he arrived in Eagle Grove to pick up the piglets. According to LE timeline, he left home at 7 in Wall Lake. According to Google maps, from Wall lake to Eagle Grove is approximately 1 hr 27 minutes. He also showed up late and last to load and David left about 10:50 from the load out barn. I think his before time is just as important as what happened after.
Me too. We know it's possible he had to pick up the trailer first. I've wondered if the Brushy Creek ping was maybe before picking up the load, perhaps because he was picking up the trailer somewhere that brought him down near there. Jmo.

The location of the truck was available very early on from comments from a woman that lived nearby and was helping search. In addition to his jacket, there was one muck boot and (I think) his gloves.

It is odd that only one muck boot was found, if indeed only one was.

If David was wearing them, why would one come off? The muck boots I've seen aren't always easy to pull on or off. If he wasn't wearing them, why would they be outside the truck at all, and where is the other one? If one was still in the truck how did the other end up outside?

Shoes can fly off if people are struck by a vehicle, but would a muck boot fly off?

You might expect someone to throw David's belongings out of the truck if they were stealing it. But the truck was found next to his belongings, so that wasn't the reason.

The belongings in the ditch feel like they might have been placed there deliberately. It's just a question of whether David left them there himself, or someone else "set the scene" after doing whatever it is they did.

I'm a bit surprised the truck stop where he stopped closes at 10 PM during the week - I'm surprised it closes at all. I have to admit, I didn't bother looking up the hours of operation initially because most truck stops (all truck stops I've experienced) are open 24/7/365. So yeah, that definitely changes things for me.

Is this the kind of place where they close down the convenience store but the gas pumps are operable 24/7? Or does the whole operation shut down? If the pumps were at least open, he could have stopped to fuel up. If not, I am so curious why the stop for about 15 min. Did he have a snack with him that he wanted to stop and eat? Was he tired and took a cat nap for 15 min? One other option is talking to or texting with someone. It's possible LE knows he did that and are leaving that info out. MOO

Wish we knew if he had to pick up and connect the empty trailer before heading to Eagle Grove. Was there an altercation there? Trailer left in less than desirable conditions (dirty) perhaps, causing David more stress and having to clean it out first?

I'm a bit surprised the truck stop where he stopped closes at 10 PM during the week - I'm surprised it closes at all. I have to admit, I didn't bother looking up the hours of operation initially because most truck stops (all truck stops I've experienced) are open 24/7/365. So yeah, that definitely changes things for me.

Is this the kind of place where they close down the convenience store but the gas pumps are operable 24/7? Or does the whole operation shut down? If the pumps were at least open, he could have stopped to fuel up. If not, I am so curious why the stop for about 15 min. Did he have a snack with him that he wanted to stop and eat? Was he tired and took a cat nap for 15 min? One other option is talking to or texting with someone. It's possible LE knows he did that and are leaving that info out. MOO

I just sent them an email asking if the gas/diesel pumps are open 24/7. I'll report back when/if they reply to me.

I just sent them an email asking if the gas/diesel pumps are open 24/7. I'll report back when/if they reply to me.

Quoting my post above - Marker126 replied to me as follows:

"Yes our diesel and gas pumps are open 24hours a week. We do have alpha numeric keypads on all our pumps to accept fleet cards at the pumps with more ease."

Here's a short (~2 minute) youtube video interview of the owner of Marker 126, very nice place but sorta odd that David would stop there after it was closed, unless he was nearly out of gas, or wanted a bit of privacy.

IMO, it appears a normal haul all the way until the HWY 71/20 stop. As many have said, this seems to be where things took a turn. Not only did DS go north instead of south, he also seemed to take too long to get where he did, although LE didn't mention the unaccounted for time in their press release. Was 12:40 just a ping, perhaps, which doesn't necessarily mean that was right when he stopped?

What I don't understand is if there was no video of DS stopping at the truck stop on Hwy 4, why was there searching around there? Wasn't that supposedly based on some information? Same with Brushy Creek? It makes me wonder about what else isn't being said in the press release, and if these are actually places DS stopped en route to Eagle Grove, rather than the way back to Sac City. All we know about pre-arrival in Eagle Grove is that he was running late, and there's also unaccounted for time prior to pick up.

And again, who "heard from" DS in the "early morning" of the 21st? That would have had to be when DS was nearing his exit and/or driving north (unless he stayed in the truck for awhile after parking it). That call (via phone or radio) would be significant, I imagine, and known almost immediately since it was on the Missing notices.

I wonder if DS radioed dispatch that he was nearing the Sac City exit, because from there he really would have been only a few minutes from the drop off location. I wonder how long DS's boss knew DS had never shown up before he told Sarah?

Last edited:
Here's a short (~2 minute) youtube video interview of the owner of Marker 126, very nice place but sorta odd that David would stop there after it was closed, unless he was nearly out of gas, or wanted a bit of privacy.

I love the concept and wish this family success in their business. It's totally not what I've been envisioning as a truck stop, and the wholesomeness is making me reconsider what I had been thinking of what possibly went down when he stopped.

I'm more stumped than ever, tbh.

jmo

Looking at the Marker 126 truck stop it is definitely more ‘high end’ than I was expecting. I was picturing more of a 7-11 type place, but this has fancy looking espresso drinks and a nice clothing shop and restrooms with nice soaps. It definitely isn’t what comes to mind when I picture ‘truck stop’.

Double checked and it definitely would have been closed, as per Google opening times, but presume the pumps would have been working. The 16 minutes there does seem an oddly long time if just pumping gas, as those pumps are quick. Maybe wouldn’t be if the store/cafe was open or if DS hadn’t been potentially running late (rushing out door at home, arriving late to collect pigs, last load before closing). It seems like the sort of situation when you wouldn’t stop to leisurely clean the truck windows or polish some chrome while filling the tank. MOO but it seems like it’s from the point of the Marker 126 stop that the timeline starts going a bit funny. What was he doing there?
I scoured the google reviews, nothing concerning there. LE would know if he was texting or taking to someone, they have his phone. But say nothing about what he was doing there. MM126 also has a scale, but they were closed so that’s a dead end. As someone else said, now we just have more questions.

I scoured the google reviews, nothing concerning there. LE would know if he was texting or taking to someone, they have his phone. But say nothing about what he was doing there. MM126 also has a scale, but they were closed so that’s a dead end. As someone else said, now we just have more questions.

MM126 has a CAT scale and while the actual truck stop is closed the scales are ALWAYS open...

CAT SCALE​

CAT Scale Company is the world’s leading truck scale network providing guaranteed, accurate weights at over 2,075 locations in the U.S. and Canada. Located next to the fuel center. www.catscale.com

Always Open!

So the muck boot is part of the missing "loading clothes"?

It's hard to say because LE haven't confirmed the loading clothes were missing. Perhaps only the boot was missing and it was later found in the ditch?

I don't know anything about agricultural loading. If David was running really late, what are the chances he would jump into the truck and start driving without changing out of his loading clothes?

Also, what would typical loading clothes look like? Color, etc.? If he was wearing brown coveralls he would be much more difficult to spot in the surrounding fields than if he was wearing something like blue jeans.

I’ve been sharing this info with my husband, who used to be an over the road trucker. The very first thing he said was no trucker with any training and experience at all would leave a truck like that . Someone else had to be driving. So here’s my theory. MOO. …I think it was someone he knew or was familiar with. They knew he’d be taking that exit. They incapacitated him in some way and one of the individuals had to drive his truck away. And not having a lot of experience driving a semi, they went as far as they could, and removed David and got the heck out of dodge. I feel like they turned north instead of south so they wouldn’t risk being seen by more possible loads being delivered that night.

It's hard to say because LE haven't confirmed the loading clothes were missing. Perhaps only the boot was missing and it was later found in the ditch?

I don't know anything about agricultural loading. If David was running really late, what are the chances he would jump into the truck and start driving without changing out of his loading clothes?

Also, what would typical loading clothes look like? Color, etc.? If he was wearing brown coveralls he would be much more difficult to spot in the surrounding fields than if he was wearing something like blue jeans.
There was extensive discussion earlier in the thread about this. Having separate loading clothes is apparently standard for hog haulers -- both for keeping muck out of the truck, and for protecting the piggies by not exposing them to possible health hazards/diseases etc. Seems there are strict standards for loading conditions. And I thought the loading clothes WERE known to be missing, but I don't have a link so MOO (or OINK in this case...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx