IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the timeline from the press release onto a google map with points marked for each position along with the times and probable route:

Good question. Someone had mentioned here that those rigs can hold a couple hundred gallons of gas. I don’t know if that gets added to a truck tank faster than it’s added to our cars, but it seems to take a good minute or more for me to add 12 gallons to my car. So could it take 10 min to add 120 gallons to a tractor trailer? That would surely account for 16 minutes. Wish they had said what he was doing during that time, if he even fueled up at all, or was sitting in the rig, or what.

edited to add… I think only the interior portion was closed, not the fuel pumps, but I could be wrong.
Truck stop diesel pumps have a wider, high speed nozzle to pump diesel into larger tanks faster. I have a 52 gallon extended run tank on my one ton pickup, and even with that wider nozzle it can still take more than a couple minutes to fill.

Many trucks these days also take DEF, diesel exhaust fluid, which is also available at truck stop diesel pumps. My truck takes 7 gallons, and that is a separate tank fill that where you fill the diesel tank.

Many times when I get diesel at truck stops, I will see driver’s cleaning their windshields, putting air in tires, running over the scales. David could have been grabbing a bite to eat as well, especially if he had just run in the house, showered quickly and left immediately again.

In my opinion 16 minutes is not that long to stop at a truck stop considering what I have seen at them.

Good question. Someone had mentioned here that those rigs can hold a couple hundred gallons of gas. I don’t know if that gets added to a truck tank faster than it’s added to our cars, but it seems to take a good minute or more for me to add 12 gallons to my car. So could it take 10 min to add 120 gallons to a tractor trailer? That would surely account for 16 minutes. Wish they had said what he was doing during that time, if he even fueled up at all, or was sitting in the rig, or what.

edited to add… I think only the interior portion was closed, not the fuel pumps, but I could be wrong.
Truck stop diesel pumps have a wider, high speed nozzle to pump diesel into larger tanks faster. I have a 52 gallon extended run tank on my one ton pickup, and even with that wider nozzle it can still take more than a couple minutes to fill.

Many trucks these days also take DEF, diesel exhaust fluid, which is also available at truck stop diesel pumps. My truck takes 7 gallons, and that is a separate tank fill that where you fill the diesel tank.

Many times when I get diesel at truck stops, I will see driver’s cleaning their windshields, putting air in tires, running over the scales. David could have been grabbing a bite to eat as well, especially if he had just run in the house, showered quickly and left immediately again.

In my opinion 16 minutes is not that long to stop at a truck stop considering what I have seen at them.

OK, so here is my timeline. (I'm sure someone else has come up with a better one, but I want to post my notes and thoughts here for now.)

7:00 - 7:30 DS leaves home. (Wife told media 7:30; LE says 7:00.)
9:50 arrives at EG. ( I made up this time. I presumed that the loading took 60 minutes. Wall Lake to EG is only 90 min drive. Did DS stop to pick up trailer or stop for dinner?)
10:50 leaves EG with his load.
11:15 DS arrives at truck stop at MM126. This timing makes sense based on distance.
11:31 DS leaves truck stop. (based on LE comment that DS was at truck stop for 16 minutes.)
12:18 DS phone arrives at hwy 20/71. This is only a few minutes slower than google maps predicts (42 minutes). So this makes sense.
12:40 DS phone arrives at place where truck is found. Since this spot has been described as 5 miles north of 20/71 this should only have taken 6 to 8 minutes, yet it took 22 minutes. Did something happen during this time??
Nov 21, 2023 (con't)
2:23 PM Sarah Schultz called the Lake View PD & reported her husband missing

3:04 PM Sac County Secondary Road employee reported to the Sac County Sheriff's Office that there was a semi-tractor-trailer parked on the traveled portion of the road at the intersection of D-15 (190th Street) and N-14 (Union Ave.). It was reported that this semi had been sitting there since early morning.
Responding deputies determined that it was David Schultz’s. The semi was shut off, and inside deputies found David Schutlz’s wallet and cell phone. David Schultz’s driver's license was in the wallet. Investigators would later learn that nothing was missing from the wallet.
(per Sheriff Ken McClure, December 9, 2023 Press Release)

I might disagree with you. But we each have our opinions.
I think it's better to have animal rights groups than not have animal rights groups.
That's not to say that the specific example you provided isn't true. And if it is that is a shame.
I am not here to debate animals rights. I am here to say the possibility of David being the victim of a RAR group exists,

I might disagree with you. But we each have our opinions.
I think it's better to have animal rights groups than not have animal rights groups.
That's not to say that the specific example you provided isn't true. And if it is that is a shame.
I am not here to debate animals rights. I am here to say the possibility of David being the victim of a RAR group exists. I have also never said anything negative about animal rights. I made negative comments about radical animal rights groups, who lack concern for the animals they are supposedly defending as well as human life.

I am not understanding why his body is missing. A random attack, there would be no reason to take the body. He would just be left wherever he was killed. A targeted attack, again, why would you need to take the body?

If this is a homicide, then what is the main reason that people hide the body?
—because they don’t want COD to be easily determined
—because the killer’s DNA might be on the body
— because a family member/someone close to the victim did it.

None of those reasons follow Occam’s razor for me.

Has anyone considered that the reason the dogs lost his scent in the ditch is because he was picked up in a car?

I am not here to debate animals rights. I am here to say the possibility of David being the victim of a RAR group exists,

So you are suggesting that an animal rights group might have kidnapped him and possibly killed him? Yet they aren't looking for PR about not killing pigs? What benefit would his kidnapping have achieved? Most extreme animal rights groups want to bring attention to their cause, don't they? The pigs were ultimately delivered to where they were headed and a man is missing.

I'm having difficulty with this possible motive. But I might be missing something.

I agree. Another thing that just came to my mind. David's cell activity after he left the truckstop. It showed he made it to the intersection where he should've turned left...but he turned right, going North. I'm curious if he turned his cell phone off or if it ran out of battery.
a female LE phoned his wife Sarah from his phone. Sarah mentioned, in a MSM interview, how excited she was when she saw his name appear on her phone during the incoming call

I am not understanding why his body is missing. A random attack, there would be no reason to take the body. He would just be left wherever he was killed. A targeted attack, again, why would you need to take the body?

If this is a homicide, then what is the main reason that people hide the body?
—because they don’t want COD to be easily determined
—because the killer’s DNA might be on the body
— because a family member/someone close to the victim did it.

None of those reasons follow Occam’s razor for me.

Has anyone considered that the reason the dogs lost his scent in the ditch is because he was picked up in a car?
Interesting thoughts.
Thank you.

In looking at the 'missing minutes', what if David turned south at 20/71 and was intercepted somewhere along there? The culprits could have turned the truck around to create distance between Sac City and where his truck ended up.

I rule-out radical activists abducting him as too unlikely. Unless LE has major evidence they haven't disclosed. Activists want their motive to be known.

a female LE phoned his wife Sarah from his phone. Sarah mentioned, in a MSM interview, how excited she was when she saw his name appear on her phone during the incoming call

How awful/sad.

I am still not completely ruling out a voluntary disappearance/mental health crisis. However, I do seem to be leaning off the fence and towards the foul play side. If that is the case, I think it was a targeted attack. I think it took place at the stop sign at the Hwy 20/71 exit. The reason I don’t think someone got in his cab at Marker 126 is because they had plenty of other places to pull off before David’s exit.
The convenience of this exit for the interception is that there are no cameras at the intersection and the truck has to pull to a full stop.
David’s wife said that he is very kind and would give someone a lift. There is room for a car to be stopped on the off ramp. I read somewhere, but can’t find it, that the driver’s side window was down. If this is true, I can definitely see David rolling down the window to talk to someone who approached him at the stop sign. Perhaps they told him their vehicle was broken down and asked for a lift up the road. This is even more plausible if it happened to be someone David knew.
Why would he be targeted? From all we have learned, David was a hard working, well liked, generous, and personable guy. But you never really know somebody when you study these cases. Does he have secrets?
And then you have that guy that just can’t stand David. He’s jealous. He envys David’s big red truck; he gets the most jobs, and the best routes. Why does everyone think he’s all that? The people at the Eagle Grove site said David was late. David’s wife said he ran in and asked her to grab him some clean clothes while he took a shower. She said he was in a hurry a lot, but that doesn’t mean he was late a lot. Did David have words with someone after his afternoon run that made him late?
It was great to get this LE update, but there are still so many questions.
Where is David Schultz?

Looking at the Marker 126 truck stop it is definitely more ‘high end’ than I was expecting. I was picturing more of a 7-11 type place, but this has fancy looking espresso drinks and a nice clothing shop and restrooms with nice soaps. It definitely isn’t what comes to mind when I picture ‘truck stop’.

Double checked and it definitely would have been closed, as per Google opening times, but presume the pumps would have been working. The 16 minutes there does seem an oddly long time if just pumping gas, as those pumps are quick. Maybe wouldn’t be if the store/cafe was open or if DS hadn’t been potentially running late (rushing out door at home, arriving late to collect pigs, last load before closing). It seems like the sort of situation when you wouldn’t stop to leisurely clean the truck windows or polish some chrome while filling the tank. MOO but it seems like it’s from the point of the Marker 126 stop that the timeline starts going a bit funny. What was he doing there?

Looking at the Marker 126 truck stop it is definitely more ‘high end’ than I was expecting....... It definitely isn’t what comes to mind when I picture ‘truck stop’.
Definitely! I've just googled it, and it looks like a boutique-style hotel somewhere very upmarket!
Photos below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231210-093349~2.png
    Screenshot_20231210-093349~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20231210-093847~2.png
    Screenshot_20231210-093847~2.png
    874 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20231210-093839~2.png
    Screenshot_20231210-093839~2.png
    963.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20231210-094038~2.png
    Screenshot_20231210-094038~2.png
    764 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Definitely! I've just googled it, and it looks like a boutique-style hotel somewhere very upmarket!
Photos below.
That is NOT what I was envisioning. Not sure that makes a difference, but it is a surprise.

FWIW, I think something happened at the truck stop that escalated into whatever happened where the truck was left.

jmo

I just thought of something. It's probably outside-the-box, but ...

I wonder if anyone in David's family had someone angry with them for some reason (justified or not), and made David disappear as some sort of revenge. After all, what could be worse than a loved one seemingly disappearing of the face of the earth, and be left wondering if they're alive or not. I can't even imagine. :(

Granted, this question probably can't be answered by anyone outside the family, but the thought popped into my head, so I figured I'd throw it out there. (Admittedly, it's probably just as off-the-wall as my other posts. ;))

BBM^

Can you share what some of the reasons you’re thinking are? I just can’t come up with any that really make sense to me, but none of this really makes sense unfortunately. Just curious as to what your thoughts were!!

If he was stressed he might have just wanted to clear his head by having a longer drive. He could have been meeting someone. He might have wanted to park the truck on a quieter road where it would be less of an obstruction. He might have known Sarah's (and his?) friend would be driving that way and thought they would find the truck. He might have been ill and lost his bearings, not even realizing he was driving the wrong way. If he was giving someone a lift they might have asked him to drop them off down that road without having to force him to go that way.

Those are a few possible reasons off the top of my head.

LE released a lot of info to the public, which means they probably have a lot more they are not releasing. JMO. If they can track DS’s cell phone with that much detail, they can probably find out the cell phones in the vicinity of where they think something happened. Could be why they were looking for camera footage along his route after picking up in EG. I watched a documentary several months ago that said it’s much easier to solve crimes these days because of all the cell phones. This is possibly the digital records they are waiting to get. So let’s hope, if it was foul play, they were carrying a phone and it was on. Just my thoughts. Hope this is solved soon so his friends and family can have answers.

LE released a lot of info to the public, which means they probably have a lot more they are not releasing. JMO. If they can track DS’s cell phone with that much detail, they can probably find out the cell phones in the vicinity of where they think something happened. Could be why they were looking for camera footage along his route after picking up in EG. I watched a documentary several months ago that said it’s much easier to solve crimes these days because of all the cell phones. This is possibly the digital records they are waiting to get. So let’s hope, if it was foul play, they were carrying a phone and it was on. Just my thoughts. Hope this is solved soon so his friends and family can have answers.
This is why I'm so curious about the Brushy Creek search, where LE told the search team his phone had pinged. Based on timing between leaving the pick up location and being seen at MM 126, he doesn't appear to have had time to go to Brushy Creek, so I'm considering he was simply on hwy 20 right near the Brushy turnoff, and that is the ping in question. But like you said, they seem to have a pretty detailed cell record, so LE likely already had his route when they had searchers go to Brushy Creek. So weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx