IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it sounds unlikely that they would have slipped,and fallen into the lake ? If I am understanding your post,and in particular the last sentence ? MOO

Well that depends on how close the end of the fence is to the shoreline. If it's right at the water's edge and one of the girls tried to go around it they could have slipped and ended up in the lake. But wihout seeing just how close to the water that fence is it's hard to say.

MOO

The girls’ grandmother, Wylma Cook, says she fears they were abducted.

“Whoever has them, just turn them in, let them loose anywhere so they can call me,” Cook said. “Lyric knows my cell phone, she knows my house phone.

“I thought with the helicopters and my other son and a friend going on four-wheelers until four o’clock in the morning they would see all these lights and stuff or something,” Cook told KCRG. “When I woke up this morning, I just bawled my eyes out.”

An anonymous person has offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to the girls’ whereabouts, police said.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/07/massive-search-for-two-missing-iowa-girls/

Per local news station kwwl.com - just posted:

A news conference in Evansdale just wrapped up. Police say no progress has been made in finding the girls. However, they say a reward for information now stands at $15,500.

I don't think you need to climb it to get the the shoreline. I think it ends at the shoreline just after the narrow part of the trail through the forest area. I think the fence on the lake side is just to prevent people from falling into the lake from the trail on that narrow stretch only. Once the trail veers away from the water, the lakeside fence just goes down the the shoreline and probably ends. So you can go down to the end of the fence and probably go around it to get to that area of the lake.

MOO

It's possible that the girls threw the purse/phone over the fence towards the lake, then tried to enter the lake just after the fence ends with the intention of swimming to the dock.

SE_Meyers_Lake_Fence.jpg

Well that depends on how close the end of the fence is to the shoreline. If it's right at the water's edge and one of the girls tried to go around it they could have slipped and ended up in the lake. But wihout seeing just how close to the water that fence is it's hard to say.

MOO

Kamille TY...I just instinctively think that someone took these girls. That they never went into that lake. MOO

Anyone who was on the bike trail Friday afternoon and may have seen something, is strongly encouraged to contact the Evansdale Police Department. That number is 319-232-6682 .

"We can't express our gratitude for how many people have shown up, people that don't even know us. Even under the worst circumstances. I just know they will be brought home safe and sound. And I know it will be soon," said Elizabeth's mother, Heather Collins.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19023342/evansdale-police-searching-for-two-missing-girls

I am skeptical that one fell in and the other went after- it doesn't seem that deep at shore- it was siad they swim at other lake(s)......plus there was a cell phone available to call for help- assuming they have been drilled to call for help since one had a phone. IMO

I am sooo afraid someone followed them down the road from behind the clothing store and grabbed them after they entered the nature trail. That access point where Arbutus & Evans meet worries me as a place a perp could have parked.

"Lyric Morrisey is 10 and Elizabeth Collins is almost 9. Lyric is the daughter of Mysti Cook Morrisey and Dan Morrisey & Elizabeth is the Daughter of Drew Collins and Heather COOK Collins."

It has been reported that Lyrics last name is Cook. Does anyone know if she lives with both her mom and dad (Morrisey)? Cook appears to be her mothers maiden name.

ETA: It looks as though Lyric's Mom and Dad are not together. Per Mom's fb she lists herself as single.

Kamille TY...I just instinctively think that someone took these girls. That they never went into that lake. MOO

I thought that at first too, but considering that less than two hours after they were last seen, police were contacted and thirty minutes after police were contacted the bikes were located at the park (even though the girls supposedly never went far from home) ... it seems like the grandmother or parents had a pretty good idea about where the girls might be.

Once the bikes were located, the question is: which direction did the girls go. When I heard that the phone/purse were tossed over the fence, I assumed that they were tossed in the direction of the main road where the girls couldn't access them. Now I'm thinking that the girls tossed the bag over the fence towards the lake because they may have decided to go for a swim. Keep in mind that the parents or grandmother somehow knew that the girls might be at the lake, so the girls needed to be able to answer the phone if someone called. After tossing the phone over the fence - they may have gone to the water and waded towards the dock. Anything could have happened at that point. It's not a swimming lake so there could be weeds making walking difficult, or maybe the temperature is low ... it's also possible that there is a current making swimming hazardous, especially if the current goes towards the drain and into the river at the other end of the drain. The younger of the two is 4'1" and weighed 65 pounds ... she could easily get into trouble if the conditions aren't ideal.

I am skeptical that one fell in and the other went after- it doesn't seem that deep at shore- it was siad they swim at other lake(s)......plus there was a cell phone available to call for help- assuming they have been drilled to call for help since one had a phone. IMO

I am sooo afraid someone followed them down the road from behind the clothing store and grabbed them after they entered the nature trail. That access point where Arbutus & Evans meet worries me as a place a perp could have parked.

Yes, that's kind of where I'm at too. But if they did get off their bikes and head down to the shoreline and decide to explore inside that fenced area, would they also be close to the forested area that the pump station on Arbutus leads to? In other words, did someone find them in that area and abduct them from there?

MOO

IMO something obviously lured them from the lake. Why else would they leave their bikes unless they were not planning on going far.

So, with this I could see the girls playing by the fence w/ the phone/purse....both could be shoved through the fence (wouldn't have to be thrown over). Then they would need to go walk around the fence to get to the phone/purse, which would bring them to the road IMO

The only other scenario I could think of, is someone yelling "HEY, THERE'S A [insert cool pick up line from weird perp here)IT'S COOL/CUTE/COLORFUL/ALIVE/HELP"

I personally believe it was an abduction of some sort, otherwise these girls would of been found. I'd be knocking on every door in that area looking for them and getting the word out to neighboring states!!!

It does sound like their Grandmother knew they might have planned to go to the lake. Wonder who else might have overheard them if they mentioned it to Grand ?

Okay , pure speculation-What if someone was a customer of one of the stores/businesses along where the clothing store is located and saw them & begin thinking nefarious thoughts...and followed them.
The Lederman store also sell safety footwear- makes me think Van for some reason. Big and Tall clothing??? Intimidating to a child??

There are also a couple of bar/lounges- would they be open during the day?
Someone making deliveries in the back of the stores?
A customer at the gas station, that appears to be around the corner from where they were last seen?
I can't really decipher what all businesses are around there...
Perhaps the girls realized they were being followed too late?
What if they were basically cornered at the trail?
Could it be someone local to the general area that knows the lake and once they realized where the girls were heading, used that to their sick advantage?

I wonder if there are any locals with unexplained absences currently??

IMO something obviously lured them from the lake. Why else would they leave their bikes unless they were not planning on going far.

So, with this I could see the girls playing by the fence w/ the phone/purse....both could be shoved through the fence (wouldn't have to be thrown over). Then they would need to go walk around the fence to get to the phone/purse, which would bring them to the road IMO

The only other scenario I could think of, is someone yelling "HEY, THERE'S A [insert cool pick up line from weird perp here)IT'S COOL/CUTE/COLORFUL/ALIVE/HELP"

I personally believe it was an abduction of some sort, otherwise these girls would of been found. I'd be knocking on every door in that area looking for them and getting the word out to neighboring states!!!

Since police started looking for them at the lake, I suspect someone in the family suggested that they may have gone there. If the lake had not been suggested to police, they would have started looking much closer to home. If the girls were lured there, it would have been before they went on their bikeride that day - since someone in the family suspected that they would be at the lake. That would suggest that there is an electronic trail (facebook, cell records) leading to the lake and anyone that may have lured them there.

They would have left their bikes exactly where they were round ... right next to the lake where they could get around the fence to access the water. They would have tossed the phone/purse over the fence to make sure it didn't get wet while they entered the water and headed for what appears to be a dock. The phones could have been close to the dock area.

If they are in the water, they will probably be found in the next few days.

It does sound like their Grandmother knew they might have planned to go to the lake. Wonder who else might have overheard them if they mentioned it to Grand ?

I was really surprised that after less than two hours, police were called to help locate two girls biking on a summer afternoon. It was even more surprising that police located the bikes within 30 minutes of notification that the girls were missing ... especially since the bikes were 1-2 miles from where they were last seen and their home. That really strongly suggests that the girls had mentioned going to the lake and the parents or grandmother knew about this.

There are two possibilities I see at this point: they cooked this up on their own, or someone they were in contact with online enticed them to go there. If they were enticed, there's an electronic trail. If they cooked this up on their own, they most likely drowned.

The only place where prints might be is on the top rail, and my experience when climbing over a chain link fence is that there's a fair bit of pivoting and rotating hands while doing this. I really doubt that there would be a clean print ... and furthermore, printing 100 feet or so of chain link fence on the offhand chance that there's a print matching a child that may never have been fingerprinted doesn't seem very productive.

Besides, even if there was a print matching one or both of the children, it wouldn't prove anything except that one or both touched the fence. After that, it's anyone's guess where they ended up.

The only place where prints might be is on the top rail, and my experience when climbing over a chain link fence is that there's a fair bit of pivoting and rotating hands while doing this. I really doubt that there would be a clean print ... and furthermore, printing 100 feet or so of chain link fence on the offhand chance that there's a print matching a child that may never have been fingerprinted doesn't seem very productive.

Besides, even if there was a print matching one or both of the children, it wouldn't prove anything except that one or both touched the fence. After that, it's anyone's guess where they ended up.

Do you work in law enforcement? I was under the impression that checking for prints would be standard procedure. Especially since there are a lot of people who think they were abducted.

I think someone lured them there I do not think they went there on their own.
I do not believe they are in the water.
I think there are 2 of them only because one guy could only controll one girl
the other could run away.
I think he tossed the purse

for some reason im thinking teens.. maybe on bikes themselves

I dont know but i dont think its going to end well!

Sad we can let our children out of the house!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18