IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I don't think thats where they were taken because someone would of seen on the interstate it's so busy.

I'm sorry in advance if this is a dumb or already answered question, but how come there are practically no cars in the aerial photos of this interstate? Are the pics just being taken at weird times?

I know I might just be used to certain spots and times in Californa where "busy" means you're lucky to move 2 miles in 45 minutes, I've just never seen anything that looked like a traffic jam in the pics. They might be old and before the construction started?

My Mom's side is Irish, Dads is Italian, and his side of the family were always pinching our cheeks, and noses!

We have a strong Italian population and they are very expressive people who love children.

Generalising I'm sure but they have a reputation as being very very soft where kids are concerned. Their kids are very important to them.

I am not convinced the girls left the bikes in the location they were eventually discovered.

Is it possible that their disappearance occurred elsewhere and some kids came along and found two abandoned bikes and thought it would be funny to ride and leave them elsewhere? Elsewhere being by the lake where they were found.

Just thinking out loud because the tight timeline has always bothered me.

I'm almost certain that if random kids had've moved the bikes, we would know about it.

Kids are terrible at keeping secrets and as we've seen the locals are very, very concerned. It would not be natural for a child to keep this secret under these conditions.

You can bet all the kids who were around that day were grilled by worried parents.

:moo:

Respectfully, BBM

Really? Was this desire to "touch little girls [they] just met" during the time frame you grew up in-specific to "Jewish and Italian folks," or do you believe it was due to that generation's attitude in general?

I think it's cultural. They looked at us as their grandkids. We were part of their community.

It's like my grandma. Really old, Jewish lady (95) - she thinks nothing of walking up to a strange baby and petting its head or arm. She loves all the kids, they remind her of us when we were small.

Luckily, most people are really nice about it.

My Mom's side is Irish, Dads is Italian, and his side of the family were always pinching our cheeks, and noses!

My Mom's side was Irish/ English and my Dad's Portuguese, and my Dad's relatives were ALWAYS pinching and poking and touching us. lol My Grandma poking our tummies saying we needed to sit down and eat, my Grandfather pinching our nose, saying he caught a kittycat. lol Very touchy feely.

I think it is partly generational too. Nowadays even my mom remembers she cannot just strike up a friendly conversation with a young child and ask their name and where they go to school. lol She used to do that regularly when she visited us in Los Angeles and never understood why the kids looked so alarmed. :eek:

I'm almost certain that if random kids had've moved the bikes, we would know about it.

Kids are terrible at keeping secrets and as we've seen the locals are very, very concerned. It would not be natural for a child to keep this secret under these conditions.

You can bet all the kids who were around that day were grilled by worried parents.

:moo:

You are probably right, HOWEVER, what if you and a friend moved those bikes from town to the lake. And then the FBI came and DRAINED THE LAKE. Might you be afraid to tell anyone if you were an 11 or 12 yr old kid?

Two children have been taken and/or killed together before, I believe several instances were accounted early on in this case, and sometimes both found dead together as the girls in Oklahoma some years back. The reason/motive can still be the same as in cases of singular abductions, i.e. sexual most frequent, IMO, or just plain evil. I would think revenge is probably a lesser instance in these cases, except for custodial cases.

I am not thinking child sex rings at this point.
Here is another case where ONE man managed to lure and abduct two girls.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pallett_cinda.html

I'm sorry in advance if this is a dumb or already answered question, but how come there are practically no cars in the aerial photos of this interstate? Are the pics just being taken at weird times?

I know I might just be used to certain spots and times in Californa where "busy" means you're lucky to move 2 miles in 45 minutes, I've just never seen anything that looked like a traffic jam in the pics. They might be old and before the construction started?
The interstate that runs by there is four lanes, eastbound and westbound divided by a grass median. eastbound two lanes, they'd be on the south side of any photo oriented with north as up, and are currently being completely rebuilt. All traffic east and west is going through the two westbound lanes on the north side of the median.

Dam. That guy at the lake I saw in the white van has been bugging me horribly. I emailed LE again the license number just now. I don't care if I look like a wierdo, I just hope they checked my lead.

I would have no compunction whatsoever about walking right up to him and telling him to piss off.

Grown men have NO BUSINESS watching children, these days, unless the kids belong to them. Even if it is totally innocent, he still needs to be aware of what it looks like to others.

This is HORRIBLE.
Horrible and sexist. To treat a man who likes children as a pedophile is horrible.
I am thankful i live in a city where if my husband and i start up a conversation with a child we don't know in the cart in front of us at the supermarket, the mother smiles

I just find it strange ... white van parked at lake entrance.... man maybe 30, 5'8 ? over 200 lbs smoking a cig, walks past me while Im riding my bike, I smile he ignores me. As soon as I come back to the front ( parking area) where he is parked, he comes back. Sits in his white van, smoking and looking over the lake. I have a pic ( dont know how to put it on here) help? It's not great but all I could get without looking suspicious.

Not sure what the stats are but in Iowa we don't have traffic jams, unless there is construction, or an accident. We don't have a large amount of cars going by at the same time or jammed together- unless there is a tractor or some other farm equipment on the road. Even on the interstate it's pretty much a few cars and then a minute later another car or two. Maybe in DesMoines they might get a traffic jam....

Or that pic was taken early in the morning or on a Sunday... JMO

I think it's cultural. They looked at us as their grandkids. We were part of their community.

It's like my grandma. Really old, Jewish lady (95) - she thinks nothing of walking up to a strange baby and petting its head or arm. She loves all the kids, they remind her of us when we were small.

Luckily, most people are really nice about it.

Respectfully, BBM

Might be a generational thing then?

Mediterranean, Latin and other cultures are perhaps more demonstrative than other cultures.

My DNA is made up of many Mediterranean cultures. When you live in a major USA city and are living side-by-side with a large population from many varied cultures, you come to understand that it has nothing to do with "cultures."

Can't recall how many "escapes" we young females made from those of non-Italian and non-Jewish ancestry growing up in a major US city composed of varied cultures.

This is HORRIBLE.
Horrible and sexist. To treat a man who likes children as a pedophile is horrible.
I am thankful i live in a city where if my husband and i start up a conversation with a child we don't know in the cart in front of us at the supermarket, the mother smiles

Oh well.

There is too much looking the other way these days. My concern is not for the adult watching, it is for the kids being watched.

Starting a conversation with a kid in a supermarket queue is far, far removed from standing and watching unknown children in a playground...I am not talking about innocent everyday exchanges such as yours. These days a man could be ARRESTED and accused of stalking...is that preferable to hurting his feelings?

Perhaps if you lived in a place where THREE children went missing from a busy crowded beach, you would feel less offended and perhaps grateful that people like me are caring for children's safety these days.

And before anyone pipes up and says "I didn't think you believed in multiple children being abducted", I did say OLDER children. The eldest child in the Beaumont case was only 9, the youngest was 4, plus it was far, far more innocent times.

Beaumont children disappearance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nearly 40 years ago and this town has NEVER gotten over it. They are still talked about today.

The double fence prevents a car from going in. So throwing the purse from a car would not have been possible and have it land where it did.

Could a motor bike get through?

I just find it strange ... white van parked at lake entrance.... man maybe 30, 5'8 ? over 200 lbs smoking a cig, walks past me while Im riding my bike, I smile he ignores me. As soon as I come back to the front ( parking area) where he is parked, he comes back. Sits in his white van, smoking and looking over the lake. I have a pic ( dont know how to put it on here) help? It's not great but all I could get without looking suspicious.

I wish I could help but I have no idea.

You are the only one who may have seen the actual perp or part of the group. Wonder if he goes there regularly and watches like that. I would love to see your pic just can't help get it here, anyone else???

Regarding Evansdale and its relation to Waterloo:

Waterloo is a city of 68,000 It's not not super dense like Hong Kong, but it's not as spread out as some places either. Again, I don't know exactly, but I would guess, just going by what's happened with a lot of larger towns and cities in Iowa that as Waterloo and other towns in the area have grown due to urban and suburban sprawl they now abut each other directly. So say thirty years ago, if you wanted to get from Waterloo to any of the surrounding towns, you got on the road and drove fifteen or twenty minutes through cornfields. Now, you hop on the interstate highway and go from downtown Waterloo to the River Forest Road exit leading into Evansdale in say five minutes.

You did right. :) My friend believed the man who motioned towards the back of her car about 20 years ago and she was kidnapped. True story, he's in jail now, and she wasn't his first, there were several he was tried for. She was lucky to get away unharmed.

Yeah I agree. I felt like a complete idiot for waving frantically and pointing at the back of a car one time when it was ON FIRE. Now, I understand more why the person smiled, waved. and drove away really fast. And even though their car was on fire I think they did the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required