IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i've been traveling and got behind - trying to read back but it appears basically that nothing has happened in the last week?

bummer....

I just don't see the family and their problems being directly/indirectly involved in the disappearance. It seems to me if that were so, the full power of the FBI and state/local LE could blow that wide open, especially if the family has been cooperative about that. Seems to me they'd have an immediate set of POI and possible suspects to focus like a laser in on.

The purse really hangs me up. If it wasn't for the purse, some of my more simple scenarios would work well. For instance, if the purse wasn't there on the lakeside of the fence, it would be easy to say the girls knew the perp and were lured away. The perp could easily say, "come check this out. Leave the bikes, they'll be fine." But why would they leave the purse behind if everything was okay? And if the perp knew the girls and has their trust, why discard the purse where it was found. That would imply the abduction was taking place on the trail, which would be unnecessary if he was luring them away.

The bikes on the path and the purse on the lakeside of the fence, I can see only two ways for that to happen: either the girls were taken on the spot (which I still don't like) or the bikes and purse were staged (which I think makes sense, but it carries the same risks as snatching the girls on the trail and it doesn't fit the timeline well).

I feel bad for thinking harshly of LE before about wasting time searching the lake. Something is very wrong with this case. Nothing matches up at all.

The purse being left there is what makes me lean towards them being lured by the promise of a boat ride. The perp could have said ' leave your purse here, cant take it on the boat.'

And 10 yr olds are not always that attached to the pretty much empty purses they carry around. My DD used to put hers wherever, no problem.

Nothing was in Lizzie's but an old phone. It is not like she had a wallet with credit cards and an i-phone in there.

Supposedly LE took the bikes for fingerprinting and DNA test. :moo:

Which we still don't know the results of...

Further, all this about the purse - we still don't even know if it was thrown or placed neatly, do we?

Any links would be great...

It was Lizzie's phone, it was IN the purse, and it was deactivated, which to my mind means it has no service therefore cannot be used even for gps or 911, just the games.

:moo:

Anyone think we should have a moment of prayer, positive energy, or silence for the girls soon? Just a few minutes?

The purse being left there is what makes me lean towards them being lured by the promise of a boat ride. The perp could have said ' leave your purse here, cant take it on the boat.'

And 10 yr olds are not always that attached to the pretty much empty purses they carry around. My DD used to put hers wherever, no problem.

Nothing was in Lizzie's but an old phone. It is not like she had a wallet with credit cards and an i-phone in there.

katy! yes! The purse makes me think the girls were rushed......as in- hurry up girls, we have to get to ------------- quickly! :moo:

That would make no sense at all in my mind, as it's neither heavy nor cumbersome. :dunno:

It would be like the perp saying, lets go on a boat, take your earrings out and leave them here?

A deactivated cell phone can still call 911. At least here in the US.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Anyone think we should have a moment of prayer, positive energy, or silence for the girls soon? Just a few minutes?

What a wonderful idea, how about a minute on the half hour so we can all join in?

Which we still don't know the results of...

Further, all this about the purse - we still don't even know if it was thrown or placed neatly, do we?

Any links would be great...

It was Lizzie's phone, it was IN the purse, and it was deactivated, which to my mind means it has no service therefore cannot be used even for gps or 911, just the games.

:banghead: Us not hearing anything drives me nuts.
From what I know about my phone, youre right.
If my phone is active, ie I pay for service, then I can reach 911 even if
my phone battery isnt charged.
BUT if I dont pay for service I dont get anything. :moo:

Im positive that one of the family members said that Elizabeth left that cell phone at home.

i think it was lyrics cell that was left behind at home... have no idea where the link is tho, it was discussed when it was said that lyric was suppose to text misty when she knew where misty could pick her up after work...iirc

A deactivated cell phone can still call 911. At least here in the US.

Its not the phone that can call 911, its your service...eg, your PHONE NUMBER

If you have no service it cant call anything. Down here anyway.

So you can have a working phone, not pay your bill, but you still have your phone number etc, eg, the service....and can call emergency only.

Deactivated to me is when you have taken your number across to a new phone. The old phone can be used for games only...I've got drawers full of em...no good for anything except storing numbers and the games because the service has moved to your new phone.

The service is attached to the PHONE NUMBER, not the phone.

Concerning strange vans following posters- could be undercover LE,or media looking for a story.
Having people focus on white vans might not be such a bad thing,especially if the perp drives something else. They will keep on regular route and not avoid "check points" thinking he/she/they are safe from scrutiny.In other words, wave that shiny white scarf to distract as the rabbit hops into the hat.

It's a good point. I like the rabbit in the hat analogy too.

I also think there's a very good chance that most of these are just regular vans that people happen to drive every day. I'm having a hard time understanding why every van would now considered to be driven by a "creeper" or some strange person. Your thought about keeping people distracted makes a lot of sense.

Semi relevant antecdote - I was sitting in my car in a parking lot earlier just kind of daydreaming while I waited for an appointment. In an effort to be cautious and not totally daydreaming, I was also checking out what was going on around me. I was near a gas station and grocery store, and in the 20 minutes or so I was there I saw THREE white vans, two of which had no windows. That's just the ones I noticed, there could've been more. Thinking about it now, I probably looked creepy sitting there with my car running (for the A/C) in a parking lot for 20 minutes lstaring at a gas station. I also noticed a bunch of gas station and grocery store employees walked by, some of them more than once so they knew I was there quite awhile, and only one of them seemed to even notice me being there.

Its not the phone that calls, its your service.

so if you have no service it cant call anything. Down here anyway.

So you can have a working phone, not pay your bill, but you still have your phone number etc, eg, the service....and can call emergency only.

A deactivated to me is when you have taken your number across to a new phone. The old phone can be used for games only...I've got drawers full of em...no good for anything except storing numbers and the games.

The service is attached to the PHONE NUMBER, not the phone.

If the phone is deactivated you no longer have your phone number but you can call 911 for sure. I am going to go see if I can also call customer service.

Did I understand some previous conversation that the girls have been going to this area for some time? I am wondering what attracted them to it if that is so. Surely they shared their secrets if there were any with a friend or playmate. Maybe LE should be talking to other children.

Yes! Now I have wondered if a cell phone that is powered on but not linked to an active plan pings to the nearest tower. I think it does because you can still use it to call 911 and usually you can still call customer service from the previous cell phone provider. Does anyone know for sure? I have wondered if the gps works to locate a phone like this. My son used to take an old cell phone with him for emergency purposes before he had his own.

From every case I've followed, the best that can be done in terms of locating a phone is through triangulation, and still that does not pinpoint a specific location. Still, criminals may assume that locating phones is like the TV shows, where triangulation means locating a phone in a particular apartment in a high rise in the middle of a densely populated area. It simply doesn't work like that.

Do people fish down in that area?

I'm not a local, but according to Aunt T. in an article I linked earlier, there was a little boy fishing that day who said he'd been there a long time, so yes it seems like it. Although I do wonder if it's a normal, every day thing or if it's unusual to see someone fishing there.

We are in much need of an update from the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senor710