IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I've lurked here for years and several cases but I don't think I've ever posted...I have lived in Iowa my entire life. I see a lot of you posting that you do not think the bodies were hidden very well or were left out in the open. I just want to clarify that in July when the girls went missing, those trees would have been so thick with leaves that you would never have been able to see in like you can in the recent photos. Our forests are dense with a lot of underbrush and debris(branches and what not) During the summer months the grass they are laying in would have been waist high on an adult. You could literally be standing right next to something and not be able to see it. Although many, many people enjoy parks like this in Iowa, most hikers would stick to some kind of trail (even if it was primitive) and not go off the beaten path. Hunters are different, they are specifically walking off the beaten path in order to scare up whatever it is they are hunting and now that it has frosted, the grass is laying down so they would have been able to see.

I hope that helps you guys from out of the area picture what it might have been like a bit more.

:welcome5:

Thank youu so much for clarification on how densely wooded and how much underbrush would have been present during the summer months.

We are so blessed to receive so many local perspectives on cases like this here at websleuths.

Actually, it isn't uncommon for RSO's to live in the same area, or even in the same apartment building/house. They are limited in where they are allowed to live, i.e., can't be too close to a school or playground. If you check RSO's in any area, you will probably find at least two or three who live in the same apartment or near each other. JMO

I don't think an RSO (or unregistered SO) is involved in this case, but it's interesting that so many live in this mobile home park in a small community. JMO

ETA: tlcox, you beat me to it. You're doing okay on that tablet.

Of those 5 RSOs all but 2 have residency restrictions.

Those 2 must just like to live around their own kind...

All I have had for the last 12 minutes is a black screen.
I thought the press conference was to be at 4pm.
Did I miss it or did they change it?

IMO this could be very helpful for LE to know if they did search or not...

A9dXUZUCcAAoaz3.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/tarathomas7/status/276785910006312960/photo/1

This is very creepy!!!

I think it needs called in to LE!!!

Time difference from Iowa to where you are located maybe?LOL

It took me a minute to realize the time zone is different - they are in Central time. So wait about 45 minutes or so, and it should be on.

I thought of that too but some of them do not have any residency restrictions....

Creepy. Maybe their RSO status was enough to make it dificult to secure housing in more "family" type neighborhoods despite the lack of restrictions. Hmmm

Yeah, still creepy.

IA is cenral so for once, I don't need to do the math.

This is very creepy!!!

I think it needs called in to LE!!!

Not very creepy at all, RNER. Nearby state & National forests and wilderness areas are a common dumping ground of victims by predators. It should have been one of the first areas searched, imo. Predators are aware of initial investigative and search procedures that focus on family members and areas within a five mile radius of the abduction site.

I do hope, ir those FB posters did search at seven bridges ack in july, they wil contact LE to desribe in exactly what areas they searched and if they saw anything unusual while doing so.

=iamnotagolem;8612378]Thank you for sharing! I agree 100% with you, if it wasn't a good hiding area then why did it take 5 month to find their bodies? If you ask me it was the perfect spot to leave the bodies. It's not like the bodies were dumped in a city park, they were dumped 21 miles from town in the rurals, in a wooded area.

The park at that location is really off the beaten path, it is not off a major highway or interstate. You have to know where you are going to get there.

The summer was hot and dry, the river was low. There was really no reason for the "average person" to go there. Not very good fishing or canoeing in this area.

Much more of a place for hunters.

I agree with the IA poster, even if someone drove in that area, the brush and grass had to be so high, most would not notice anything unless they truly were on a specific search.

I believe the perp knew no one would be looking in this area for a long time...

Maps:

Attachments

• L&E1.jpg
    L&E1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 108
  • loop.png
    loop.png
    397 KB · Views: 110
  • overview2.png
    overview2.png
    330 KB · Views: 109
  • overview.png
    overview.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 106
Time difference from Iowa to where you are located maybe?LOL

we have 45 minutes to go

It took me a minute to realize the time zone is different - they are in Central time. So wait about 45 minutes or so, and it should be on.

Hi Watcher9 - This station already has a stream going, but it's local news right now, and the screen says 320pm. I believe they are carrying the presser, but not 100% sure:

http://whotv.com/on-air/live-streaming/

Thanks everyone.
I sure am glad I learned how to make multi quotes.

I did completely forget about the time zone being different.
When they said 4pm, I took them at their word.
Boy, I have been in a panic.
I've got two stations running with a black screen right now so I am ready.

It looks like I can play catchup again reading. I swear I wasn't away from here an hour and now I have five pages on the last thread and four on this on to catch up.

Also just wanted to say thanks up front because I see a lot of photos and maps. The visual image helps me so much and they look like they are so clear.

This picture makes it look like the perp(s) had to walk far from the road to place them there.

aerialsearch680f.jpg

http://thegazette.com/2012/12/06/bremer-county-sheriff-confirms-bodies-were-found-in-wildlife-area/

Thank you dr., for the alternate veiwpoint pic.

It is a good trek from turnout to bodies. From this view, I am less attached to the idea that the bodies were meant for the river.

Hard to see teraine, but it appears the topography is such that the perp(s) may have actually had an easier time carrying bodies (if this was a dump site and not the murder site) along the bank of the river along the bend and then toss them down the slope towars the heavy brush near edge of the woods.

Hmm

Thank you again for this pic I hadn't seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required