IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they were killed there were the bodies were found, nope, not out in the open. He would of wanted his privacy and time.

If the motive was sexual, I agree with you - he probably would have wanted to take his time. Maybe in the basement of his home, or in another building where he would not be interrupted by someone.

I have read that some LE agencies use what is called a "body shield" over a victim. It's actually discouraged to use, say, tarps or sheets, as such can disturb a crime scene, even destroy "trace" evidence. I would assume, then, that what is seen in the photos in this case are, maybe, specially designed covers. As it started to rain, I would think such was appropriate to shield against that... as well as those pesky "helicopters" employed by MSM.

BBM - please no offense intented, but I found this comment to crack a smile while reading opinions and thoughts here (and a welcome break) :floorlaugh:

This is another photo from the Gazette website. It's the one that gives the best perspective on where the presumed location of the bodies is relative to the end of the road. The two white spots are in the upper right, and if you look closely you can see part of that ring of yellow police tape. There appears to be a trail leaving the turnaround right next to the vehicle that looks like it might be a coroner's van is parked, but it's a long walk through the woods to get to the crime scene.

aerialsearch680f.jpg

This shows the crime scene from a bit wider perspective. You can just make out the two white spots at the edge of the open space where the river bends or branches. It shows pretty clearly how isolated the spot really is. It's even quite far from the nearest place you could paddle to with a canoe -- assuming the water's deep enough for a canoe, which I doubt.

aerialsearch680d.jpg

Maybe a local to the area can help me out, but in July or August was the water level up to where the white spots in the pictures are? I know the rivers are very dried up now, but what about then?

Maybe a local to the area can help me out, but in July or August was the water level up to where the white spots in the pictures are? I know the rivers are very dried up now, but what about then?

Upthread, several locals said the water levels had been very low all year.

I don't think we can assume anything about whether the autopsies were quick or not. Clearly these cases would be priority #1. And if anything, I would assume skeletal remains would be quicker to autopsy, if you think about what a full autopsy entails. So really, I don't think the autopsies being completed in a few days time means abolutely anything relevant other than the fact that they are completed.

I'm thinking that there will be a tentative ID very soon, with official confirmation by DNA at a later point.

Didn't mean to step on toes here!

Sokay joe, I don't believe it is related to Lyric's parents drug hstory either but your thoughts and opinions are just as valid as mine. Keep contributing, our toes are all used to theoies that don't line up to our own. :)

It would be nice if the perp left behind a token as in the Jessica Ridgeway case. ie, cross, or something to be used to identify the perp.

That sure would be nice. I hope he was cocky enough to think he would never be suspected and never be caught. Maybe he made mistakes that, even after all this time, will lead LE straight to him.

Unlikely, but I can still hope!

Sokay joe, I don't believe it is related to Lyric's parents drug hstory either but your thoughts and opinions are just as valid as mine. Keep contributing, our toes are all used to theoies that don't line up to our own. :)

Heck, my toes have been stepped on so often I can hardly wear shoes any more! But here I am, still plugging away.

My random thoughts...

1. I believe 7 Bridges was a dump site that was scouted out by the perp.

2, The perp had plenty of time to find the perfect spot (and I think it was very familiar area for him). Harvest was completed 1 month ahead of schedule this year because of the drought. Most fields were harvested by mid-October at the latest. The number of farm workers would depend on the size of the equipment used and the size of the fields. (Each square mile of land is 640 acres.) (On average I'd estimate 3 workers per field....one in the combine, one in the chase cart, and one driving semi....this can certainly fluctuate by farmer). When I look at this photo

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...ion_12862912-cdd5-11e1-a9b3-0019bb2963f4.html

the first thing I notice is that the ground to the right of the road has tillage already done. Because of the amount of debris on top I think this was planted to corn this year. On the left side of the road I believe it was planted to soybeans because there is no tillage. I don't see any NH3 tracks in the bean field....nor do I see them in the corn field. Whoever farms this ground on both sides of the road may be waiting to make sure the ground temp is right before applying nh3.

3. Having a car from another county come down the road while harvesting isn't that unusual. Many hunters start a month ahead of time watching for deer/pheasant activity. Pheasant hunting started Oct 27 and it's lawful to hunt the ditches in Iowa....which many do. So to have people come down the road to the entrance of this park wouldn't be unusual....especially if they were known in the area to hunt. The farmer may think the person is checking for wildlife, when in reality the person was checking to see the pattern of people activity.

4. Temps just started to cool down, so 7 Bridges keg party activities may be starting to slow down (Wapsie Valley Jr & Sr High is 5 miles drive .... and I'm pretty sure the student body would use this as a party site. It's remote, but it's also a good place because if you get raided you've got plenty to hide behind, then walk home later).

5. Farmers are done with tillage, high schoolers are looking for warmer places to party, snow should be coming soon (like within the next 24 hrs) and that is why I think the drop happened within the last few weeks. MOO

:yourock::thewave::party::wagon::welcome4:
Welcome to Websleuths and :goodpost:

Upthread, several locals said the water levels had been very low all year.

I don't think the water levels were low in August. What I'm getting at is what if the bodies were in the water at one time, and after the levels receded than the bodies ended up where they were found. Or the bodies had to of been placed after the water levels receded.

Maybe there was something to the paddleboater after all. ??

This person or persons has a lot of smarts locally imo. Maybe even about when the fields would be harvested & workers move out. There hadn't been any rain to fill the river back up to boat or tube. They had to know fishing would be bad there & this area wouldn't be a hot spot for a while. hmmm

Or they did this fast and the grass was deep enough when they were put there to not get notice.

Teens do party with campfire at night. No reason to swim there, maybe wade or something. If that's a raveen, ditch or whatever, not many would go back there from a rivers edge. jmo

Remember how low Meyer's Lake was when they drained it? It wasn't going to take as long to drain because of the drought....so I know at the time all water levels there were low...

My feeling is that the perp(s) didn't care whether the bodies were found or not. JMO. That fits in with my theory that the abduction/murder of these two little girls was a means to an end, not necessarily sexual in nature. Once the desired end was achieved, I feel the perp(s) didn't care one way or the other what happened.

This is based on nothing said by LE, or in MSM, or even (heaven forbid) stated on NG or JVM. Just my opinion and subject to change without notice!

BBM

Totally agree. When someone hangs out, hikes, walks, hunts etc in an area with a stream......that's where they normally go....by the stream...so there is more reason for the girls to be found than back in the thicket of those woods. This is one reason I can't see the use of an ATV in the dumping because they could have just as easily driven that further into an area more desolate. If taken there in July, no burial because of the high weeks...to much work to clear to dig. I think they were taken there recently and just placed where they were found with some dead grass or a little brush thrown over them. The perp just didn't care where, probably no thought at all if they could be found, etc. They just wanted rid of their bodies. I do tend to think they were sexually assaulted, and still a possible drug connection, kept for awhile and then desposed of after they had met their usefulness...or the perps encountered problems of some kind in the keeping of them; which could be number of reasons. IMO

But the paddleboater was at Meyers Lake. Not at this park.:what: Or maybe....nevermind.

I can see it. Lots of speculation awhile back that a boat ride may have been a lure.

But, probably not at this spot, since it sounds like the water was low. But, you really don't need all that much water for a canoe, especially if the boat ride itself isn't the real goal at all.

I don't think the water levels were low in August. What I'm getting at is what if the bodies were in the water at one time, and after the levels receded than the bodies ended up where they were found. Or the bodies had to of been placed after the water levels receded.

Yeah, I had been wondering that too. Those two white bags/tents/whatever they are look like they're in low spot, almost a channel, where high water would flow. I was thinking flash flood, but I don't know whether Iowa gets those. It would have to be unusually high water, because they're above the channel marks.

Locals...would that spot be fairly inaccessible when it's summer?

Does the undergrowth die off as well as the trees?

forests are evergreen here so I can't really visualise it...what I'm trying to ask is if it's likely they were dumped after autumn began, not before?

We had a 500 year drought this year. Water levels at all levels were a
fraction of normal across the whole State... in August-Sept especially ..
levels for barge traffic on the Miss have stabilised only in the last two
weeks after a few rains in November ..

Inland rivers are 50% of normal or lower ... most about 1/3rd of normal
or even lower. Not sure of the current Wapsi level but it has to still be at
1/3rd or lower ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online