IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is JMO, but, a perp who takes 2 victims is in an escalated mode, and would likely have prior criminal history, possibly unsolved.

Unless we find out the motive was not a random sexual attack.

The autopsy will tell us. Eventually.

Scavengers of all species frequent rivers and other water sources, swamps, ponds, etc.. The closer the remains are placed to a water source, the faster the elimination of incriminating and indictable evidence.
The sandy soil found near the banks of a river would provide for easier digging (should a shallow grave be used). Due to the sunlight provided by the clearing space, the weeds and underbrush would flourish, concealing the bodies or shallow graves, as shown in the photo. The tree roots, accumulation of leaves, and thick canopy in the adjacent forest would discourage underbrush growth and allow a less than desirable concealment of the bodies or shallow graves. jmho

SBM & BBM

I agree. A lifetime of hiking in Iowa forests tells me that the area under the canopy of a forest isn't as good for hiding something as the areas in clearing that have tall grasses and forbs. All plants need light to grow and under the canopy of an Iowa forest, there's just a few species of very low growing plants that can tolerate heavy shade conditions.

Aerial photography and winter photography of the area is deceptive, I think. From the air, it seems like under the trees would be a good place to hide something the size of a body but it isn't. At ground level, it's clear that the forest is not a good hiding spot.

The winter photographs of the area make the vegetation in that clearing seem deceptively low. In the summer when all those grasses and forbs are standing up, they'll be anywhere from waist high to shoulder high.

This is JMO, but, a perp who takes 2 victims is in an escalated mode, and would likely have prior criminal history, possibly unsolved.

Agree Wondergirl.. Whether drug related or sexual, indicators point towards a perp that is no stranger to the game. Many, if not most times, when a predator is finally apprehended they will have a very long rap sheet of misdemeanors, and were either suspected of or convicted of violent felonies in the past. From my experience, there seems to always be an enabling influence in their lives, that allow their escalations to continue..

A few characteristics & traits to consider, imo:

Sexual Predator Warning Signs
http://www.drphil.com/articles/article/266

This case is from my area, and I am so heart broken over this outcome:/

I would love to see an arrest in this case, I'm worried that LE has nothing. In the cases I've followed that have yielded arrests LE was much more forthcoming with information and asking the public for help.

I think in order for this case to be solved, someone who knows something will have to notify LE.

I haven't been posting as much, but I'm still reading and thinking about these darling girls and hoping for justice.

I think they've had their suspect/s all along.

I hope now that they found the girls, they will be able to prove it and make an arrest.

Note even though the girls have been found murdered, there are still no LE warnings about a predator.

I hope now that they found the girls, they will be able to prove it and make an arrest.

Note even though the girls have been found murdered, there are still no LE warnings about a predator.

I believe this is similar to the suspect in the Jersey Bridgeman case. LE just waited for forensics.

I do NOT believe it is anyone related to the girls.

I DO believe that it is a 'backyard' thing that will unfold. IMHO

That is when the handy dandy case archive helps.

OMG, I should have looked there first! I look at photos there all the time, and completely forgot about all the news articles.

I just added crankycrankerson's library to my bookmark bar, right next to NAMUS and Websleuths.

Can't Get my "Best Posting of the Day" icon to work for you so........

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:great::great::great:

I believe this is similar to the suspect in the Jersey Bridgeman case. LE just waited for forensics.

I do NOT believe it is anyone related to the girls.

I DO believe that it is a 'backyard' thing that will unfold. IMHO

Best case scenario:
Hopefully DNA forensics were found on items found at the body dump site and the perp has been entered into the FBI CODIS database:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/codis/ndis-statistics
CODIS—NDIS Statistics

Measuring Success
The National DNA Index (NDIS) contains over 9,993,800 offender1 profiles, 1,279,400 arrestee profiles and 457,700 forensic profiles as of October 2012. Ultimately, the success of the CODIS program will be measured by the crimes it helps to solve. CODIS’s primary metric, the “Investigation Aided,” tracks the number of criminal investigations where CODIS has added value to the investigative process. As of October 2012, CODIS has produced over 193,100 hits assisting in more than 185,300 investigations.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/codis/ndis-statistics/#Iowa

Statistical Information Total
Offender Profiles 76,019
Arrestee 0
Forensic Profiles 4,045
NDIS Participating Labs 1
Investigations Aided 1,012

With all the sad photos we've been carrying in our minds all week, I just had a new image come to mind. It made me feel a little bit better:

Image: the Killer(s) shaking in their boots

So do you think this person is either A. in custody already?...or B, not a threat to harm anyone else?

So do you think this person is either A. in custody already?...or B, not a threat to harm anyone else?

Or my theory, C - not in custody (yet), but under the watchful eye of LE. I think he may have been identified by LE very early on, but as we have seen in other cases, LE's suspicions aren't enough for an arrest. Now that the bodies have been found, I'm hopeful LE gets enough evidence to make an arrest. JMO

And I know there are many posters, whose opinions I value greatly, who have theories totally different from mine.

ETA: In keeping with Nurse's reminder, let me say I am not pointing fingers at any family members.

Agree Wondergirl.. Whether drug related or sexual, indicators point towards a perp that is no stranger to the game. Many, if not most times, when a predator is finally apprehended they will have a very long rap sheet of misdemeanors, and were either suspected of or convicted of violent felonies in the past. From my experience, there seems to always be an enabling influence in their lives, that allow their escalations to continue..

A few characteristics & traits to consider, imo:

Sexual Predator Warning Signs
http://www.drphil.com/articles/article/266

BBM

You described my POI to the T. All of the above but not a RSO. Has over 40 charges of all kinds.. mostly misdemeanors, and a handful of violent felonies. Career criminal in his thirties. However, I don't believe he was a loner, and the accomplice could be a RSO. Lives in very close prox to a few. To my knowledge, never been married, and has an arrest in Bremer Co as well as a few other counties in IA. Hamilton, Fayette, and Blackhawk just to name a few. Moves around quite a bit.

reminder about the family: you can discuss them as to what is in news articles but no speculation about involvement in what happened to the girls. This is the same rule that has been in place for 22 threads.

:nurse:

Man, the stores are crazy with shoppers. Anyway, any new news from LE today? Dare I ask.

Not a threat directly because I feel they're being monitored to within an inch of their lives.

The 110 house sweep was sort of hushed up a bit but it underlined to me how serious and focused the investigation is.

I'm only hoping that act isn't what caused our perp/s to panic and kill the girls. LE don't need that.

:please:

Somewhere in those 110 houses, lies the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat