IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If thats the case it's pretty stupid, cause why would you base the fact that cadaver dogs not hitting on a scent at the lake come to that conclusion.

As I stated upthread, cadaver dogs being used at the lake as early as 8 a.m. Sat. July 14th was a surprise to me.

BBM - is this something that MSM reported?

As I stated upthread, cadaver dogs being used at the lake as early as 8 a.m. Sat. July 14th was a surprise to me.

BBM - is this something that MSM reported?

From the WCF Courier, 7:00 a.m. July 15
"Special K-9 search and rescue units joined the effort."

I would assume the writer is referring to Saturday since the article was written early Sunday morning. It doesn't specifiy cadaver dogs, however.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_20c2e864-d215-11e1-a320-0019bb2963f4.html

I didn't think there was any mention of cadaver dogs.:what:

Please scroll through the article to the timeline, then go down to Saturday, July 14:

Saturday, July 14

7 a.m., DCI and FBI arrive and begin interviews. Civilian searches of the area resume until 7:30 p.m. NCMEC sends out an advisory and prepares posters.

8 a.m., Law enforcement continues canvassing the neighborhood. Parents' cell phones and computers are taken for examination. FBI’s Child Abduction Response Team is deployed and remains until July 20.

8 a.m., STAR-1 sends cadaver dogs to the lake.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_e1decc44-3f79-55a1-85f6-f26635373bb5.html

Does anybody know why the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office website
has not being updated since Dan's arrest?

Or is it just my computer that I cant find anything since Monday 2/11/2013.

http://www.bhcso.org/WhosInJail.aspx

Daniel Morrissey, 36, father of Lyric Cook-Morrissey who disappeared
in July and was found dead in December, has been on supervised release
pending drug and domestic assault trials from incidents in 2011.

Court records allege he failed to comply with conditions of his
release, and on Monday, he was arrested by Waterloo police.

http://globegazette.com/news/iowa/f...cle_1762acd2-752b-11e2-8e44-001a4bcf887a.html

Does anybody know why the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office website
has not being updated since Dan's arrest?

Or is it just my computer that I cant find anything since Monday 3/11/2013.

http://www.bhcso.org/WhosInJail.aspx

Daniel Morrissey, 36, father of Lyric Cook-Morrissey who disappeared
in July and was found dead in December, has been on supervised release
pending drug and domestic assault trials from incidents in 2011.

Court records allege he failed to comply with conditions of his
release, and on Monday, he was arrested by Waterloo police.

http://globegazette.com/news/iowa/f...cle_1762acd2-752b-11e2-8e44-001a4bcf887a.html

It's not just your computer, the site has not been updated since February 11. I e-mailed the website administrator to ask when this would be fixed, but never got a reply.

If you want to see info about Dan's arrest, go to the Waterloo Police Department Arrest Logs, he's on there.

http://www.waterloopolice.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=63

Praying for God to lend a helping hand and help LE find this killer.

I've been thinking about the person who abducted and killed the girls, and the amount of time he needed to do this.

My theory is based on my belief that the girls were abducted at Meyers Lake by a single perp and taken directly to 7 Bridges.

So, here goes:

First, he drove to Meyers Lake and parked his vehicle at Maiden Lane, met/waited for the girls to arrive at Meyers Lake and persuaded/coerced the girls to go with him. Once in the vehicle, he subdued the girls (unless they went with him willingly because he was known to them).

He then drove to 7 Bridges. He may have sexually assaulted the girls in his vehicle. He then walked the girls/carried the girls into the woods, killed them, returned to his vehicle and drove back to Evansdale or Waterloo. He probably took time to wash up and change clothes.

I believe the perp was back in Evansdale by the time the girls' bikes were located at Meyers Lake, or very shortly thereafter.

If, as I suspect, this crime was carefully planned, it may not have taken more than a couple of hours from start to finish. Who could take this amount of time to commit this crime without someone noticing his absence? I'm thinking he's either unemployed, works a night shift, or has enough flexibility with his job that he could take the time off without anyone becoming suspicious.

All of this is JMO, and I don't intend to defend this post. I know there are a lot of opinions that differ from mine. The main point of my post is to discuss how much time was needed to commit this crime, based on my theory.

I've been thinking about the person who abducted and killed the girls, and the amount of time he needed to do this.

My theory is based on my belief that the girls were abducted at Meyers Lake by a single perp and taken directly to 7 Bridges.

So, here goes:

First, he drove to Meyers Lake and parked his vehicle at Maiden Lane, met/waited for the girls to arrive at Meyers Lake and persuaded/coerced the girls to go with him. Once in the vehicle, he subdued the girls (unless they went with him willingly because he was known to them).

He then drove to 7 Bridges. He may have sexually assaulted the girls in his vehicle. He then walked the girls/carried the girls into the woods, killed them, returned to his vehicle and drove back to Evansdale or Waterloo. He probably took time to wash up and change clothes.

I believe the perp was back in Evansdale by the time the girls' bikes were located at Meyers Lake, or very shortly thereafter.

If, as I suspect, this crime was carefully planned, it may not have taken more than a couple of hours from start to finish. Who could take this amount of time to commit this crime without someone noticing his absence? I'm thinking he's either unemployed, works a night shift, or has enough flexibility with his job that he could take the time off without anyone becoming suspicious.

All of this is JMO, and I don't intend to defend this post. I know there are a lot of opinions that differ from mine. The main point of my post is to discuss how much time was needed to commit this crime, based on my theory.

I like your theory, and it goes with what I'm thinking, except I think he took them to his property first. I just wonder how long the bodies were at seven bridges. I wish we knew that. Some people have said they couldn't of been out there very long because they would of been found much earlier. Man, if the search would of included seven bridges we might know.

I've often wondered why Lyric didn't have her cell phone w/her that day.

I wish she had. Not only because she might have had a chance to call 911 when she realized they were in deep trouble, but because she might have used it along the way prior to being abducted.

In possible calls between her and Gma, or between her and friends, she might have mentioned where she was or where she was headed.

It would have been great, too, if Gma could have called her and said "you need to come back here now..."

I find your theory very plausible Marilyn. I am torn between the perp taking girls straight to 7 bridges and the thought voiced by cindersoot, that he first took them to his property (which would mean his property was either not far from abduction site or very near to 7 bridges) and then to 7 bridges.

So, here goes:

Pretty much what I think too. ITA that the crime only took a couple hours. The longest part might have been the drive time between Evansdale & Seven Bridges. So much evil in so little time...sick.

MOO

More than once I've seen LE state someone is cleared when in fact LE had them on their radar. They want the POI to feel secure enough to think that no one is looking at them.

I think you're right.

Also, IMO, if they name a suspect prior to having enough evidence to arrest/convict, some irate citizen might take the law into his own hands and kill the suspect.

So, here goes:

The ONLY thing that makes me think that the girls did NOT know their perp was the fact that the purse was left behind. The bikes being at the lake would be enough for someone to think they would have possibly drowned.

That said, I guess adding the "left behind" purse also feeds a possible staged scene that they were abducted, because (like me) people would assume she would take her purse with her if it wasn't a quick abduction.

I don't think this crime would take too long at all if it was planned out from start to finish from the get go. Literally less than 2 hours. If someone had an afternoon off could easily have done this...job or not. However, would it throw up a red flag for someone to take a Friday afternoon off in the middle of summer? Probably not.

There are two things I just struggle with trying to understand with the whole abduction itself and any possible perps:

1. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that if the girls DID INDEED scream, kick, fight, and scratch, like they'd been taught how did NO ONE hear or see anything? This in turn, leads people to assume this person was known to them, and they went willingly.

2. Someone, somewhere had to have seen SOMETHING. Something has to be askew somewhere and this person who has an idea isn't talking, for whatever reason. Is it a family man whose wife KNOWS he took the afternoon off? Someone who is completely off the radar? Is it someone who is well known in this family who everyone thinks "oh my God, how DARE you even SUGGEST this person could do this?!!" Is it someone who this is their first offense and just got lucky?

I mean really, if this is someone's first offense...never been charged or convicted of any other crime, and abducted these two girls on a whim and has ZERO connection to these girls; the chances of actually finding out who did this is next to impossible...especially if the perp is "such a great family guy". 9 times out of 10 even if the wife DID know, she isn't going to talk...for fear of her own life (assuming it IS a man).

I am not sold on the drug connection. I personally feel if they were killed to send a message they would have done it right on their front lawn. No reason to take and hide them in a park 30 mins away. This perp did NOT want them found right away, for whatever reason. I am of the belief that 7 bridges was nothing but a dumping ground. I think this person took them somewhere else and killed them, and then took them there under the cover of night and dumped them. I don't think they went straight from Evansdale to the park. JMO of course.

Not sure if this was ever confirmed or not...but I found this in regards to the girls bodies being released to their families (as of the date of this article anyway).

http://www.indystar.com/article/D2/...-deaths-will-kept-confidential?nclick_check=1

This article states the girls bodies have NOT been released to the families and was written (from the looks of it) January 2nd, 2013:

Smock and other officials are still waiting for information from the Iowa state medical examiner’s office, and the case has not legally been ruled homicide, though Smock said investigators are treating it as one.

Family members have said they were told by law enforcement officials that the girls most likely were killed within a few days of their disappearance, but authorities have declined to say whether that is the case.

The girls’ bodies have not yet been released to their families, officials said.

I think you're right.

Also, IMO, if they name a suspect prior to having enough evidence to arrest/convict, some irate citizen might take the law into his own hands and kill the suspect.

That's a great point, IMO - in a case like this, where two little girls were killed, I can see someone deciding to take matters into his own hands. Not that I condone anything like that - a quick death would not be enough punishment for this person. A long, unending prison sentence would be much better JMO.

I find your theory very plausible Marilyn. I am torn between the perp taking girls straight to 7 bridges and the thought voiced by cindersoot, that he first took them to his property (which would mean his property was either not far from abduction site or very near to 7 bridges) and then to 7 bridges.

I feel like he took them to his property, where he lives alone or family members were gone for the weekend. He killed the girls on his property and when he became fearful that LE just might check him out, he than moved the bodies to seven bridges.

Yes I agree, I think he took them to his house, everything just seemed convenient for him IMO. Think he may have been following them, he may have watched them ride their bikes before. It is strange that the purse was left but the purse was not hanging on her bike or near her bike, maybe one mentioned to the other to "call your mom" and the killer grabbed the purse and threw it over the fence. He may have used threats to get them to go with him, if I were a kid, I know if someone threatened someone I cared deeply for I would do what that person said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenduhhhhh