IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying that there is another memorial park in Evansdale? A tree planting memorial area where people put granite benches?

What event could have divided the Evansdale community? Player's safety?

I'm lost.

No, I apologize otto. I'm off topic. Should have stated that, please excuse my rambling...

I am almost at a loss for words... they ruined an ecosystem for a bunch of gazebos??
Oh holy lord what are they thinking?

I was really loving the idea until they wrecked the island. Cart before horse,
oh yeah. Maybe someone should have thought to evaluate the conditions on the island.

Here is a comparison.

032413-Before-and-AfterCuttingDownTrees.jpg:original

Until I saw those photos, I didn't realize how totally they had obliterated everything about how the island used to look.

It makes me wonder why Dan is so focused on that part of the lake...like he thinks by stamping it out, he can stamp out a memory.

p.s. I might feel the same way if my child had been taken from a particular location. Like if I could make it into something different, it wouldn't remind me so much.

I think one of the biggest problems I have with the park is that the community had no prior knowledge that it was happening. There was no opportunity for them to voice their opinions. They didn't get approval from any environmental organizations and it doesn't look like the city or council even get explicit approval for all of this to happen. Some people might think that they just weren't thinking but it does seem deliberate to me. If they actually went through the right channels, this plan would probably take months or even years to implement. And there would be the possibility that it wouldn't happen at all. Also, the amount of effort going into this park in contrast to the whole *shrug* attitude about the killers...It is bothersome.

I don't see how they did this without a budget? Fundraising is going to pay for this, what happens if the funds aren't raised??

I want to give my thanks to everyone who keeps the girls on the front page! I pray everyday they will have justice.

If anyone wants to sketch out what's going to be added to the park, here's the crude beginning of a 3D model. The trees are not scaled correctly, but the land proportions are correct. I added the 200 feet marker to give a sense of scale. I'll add information and post renderings if I know where to put everything.

What is the diameter of the gazebos ... 12 feet? ... 20 feet? ... and there will be five of them? ... where are they located? ... will the three or four granite benches be on a path or in a circle? ... where is the brick wall? ... any additional buildlings? ... so many questions.

Trees, wildlife habitat, sustainability, conservation, bird sanctuary, erosion, noise barriers ... all things that have to be addressed when renovating a 4 - 6 acres Island in a manmade lake.

EvansdaleCrudeModel_NScale_zps8d5bfbb0.jpg

Welcome Back, Otto! :seeya:

I don't see how they did this without a budget? Fundraising is going to pay for this, what happens if the funds aren't raised??

I want to give my thanks to everyone who keeps the girls on the front page! I pray everyday they will have justice.

I saw the girls have slipped from the front so I wanted to post just to bump them. Thinking of them and their families everyday. I hope we have news soon. The building of the memorials will keep their names in the forefront of community and for that I am grateful.

I found this pic of the island before, zoom in

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...ll=42.461887,-92.292221&spn=0.003173,0.005284

found it here:

Meyers Lake/Angels Park

Located at the South end of Elmer Avenue. This park offers a shelter with enough picnic tables to comfortably accommodate 75 people, electric service, water, modern restrooms, 2 grills, boat ramp, fishing and lots of playground equipment for children of all ages. Additional picnic tables are scattered throughout the area. The park is also part of the Evansdale trail system, so bring your sneakers and go for an exhilarating walk or bike ride after your picnic.

http://www.evansdale.govoffice.com/index.asp?SEC=E306120F-376E-41EA-B75A-584F94735CC7&Type=GALLERY

Pics also on link, looks to me the island was dense and very natural.

i3p5S6Zl.jpg

Thanks so much, BunnyH, for these great links... they're a treasure trove of info on current subj.

I for one wouldn't want to be in the shoes of any of these park planners for love or money.

Link below is to the minutes of E'dale Park & Rec Commission Special Meeting held Feb. 23, 2013. (I say OUCH all the way around!)

http://www.evansdale.govoffice.com/vertical/sites/%7B2505E64E-BAD1-4EF6-BB07-A8C974051728%7D/uploads/02-23-13_SPECIAL_MTG_MINUTES.pdf

“Undergrowth and a minimum number of trees will be removed from the island. Drew Collins will mark the trees that will be removed.”

ETA: ooops, I'm reading sev pages behind... just noticed BunnyH beat me to this post

I saw the girls have slipped from the front so I wanted to post just to bump them. Thinking of them and their families everyday. I hope we have news soon. The building of the memorials will keep their names in the forefront of community and for that I am grateful.
O/T

Hey shoregirl... we managed to Post at the exact same minute! Sooo, should we "hook pinkies," touch blue, and then one of us owes the other a coke!?!? (:

Parks and Rec minutes:

Discussion:
Jeff Stickfort said a 60 day window to complete the walkway to island for construction use. After construction the walkway will be a footpath to the island. Memorial Bricks will be sold to be placed on the footpath to those who wish to memorialze loved ones. Bricks will be sold at a later date. Concerns by residents regarding the project as expressed to various Park Board Members: using tax payers funds, police and fire protection, vandalism, removal of the ribbons with comment from Donna Frickson that the purple ribbons signify justice. Jeff Dawson stated that there will not be any tax payer funds used for the project or the maintenance of it. Relayed the opinion of Fire and Police Chief regarding protection. Undergrowth and a minimum number of trees will be removed from the island. Drew Collins will mark the trees that will be removed.

http://www.evansdale.govoffice.com/...728}/uploads/02-23-13_SPECIAL_MTG_MINUTES.pdf

http://www.evansdale.govoffice.com/...8082-03A4-4BBE-A391-4B6E6C0D6628&Type=B_BASIC

BBM

Thanks for finding that. It doesn't provide plans, but it does provide us with an understanding of what City Council expected regarding the trees. How did "Undergrowth and a minimum number of trees will be removed from the island. Drew Collins will mark the trees that will be removed" translate to clear cutting? It seems like there was a misundertanding.

BBM

Thanks for finding that. It doesn't provide plans, but it does provide us with an understanding of what City Council expected regarding the trees. How did "Undergrowth and a minimum number of trees will be removed from the island. Drew Collins will mark the trees that will be removed" translate to clear cutting? It seems like there was a misundertanding.

Exactly. And in one of the articles it is mentioned by one of the organizers how the plan was NOT to remove that many trees, but how so many of them were dying, dead, not safe, etc. so they were removed anyway. That must be when Drew became the official "to cut or not to cut" decision maker as his profession is tree cutting/removal?

I too wonder how on earth this whole thing is going to be paid for by fundraising. Not just the CURRENT renovations, but future ones as well. Are they going to continually raise funds forever for the maintenance and future repairs? The funds there today aren't going to continually funnel in. At some point it will more than likely be included in some sort of tax increase down the road, would be my guess.

I still think there is something VERY fishy about this whole complete destruction of the island.

If I were a member of the Evansdale community I'd be raising hell. I can't believe there aren't people who wonder HOW all of this possibly came about without anyone knowing.

And just think of all the $$ going towards this shrine. Why doesn't this family want all proceeds to FIRST go to any resources that aid in finding of the killer. THEN once the killer is found and brought to justice any leftover money could go towards a memorial.

They claim purple ribbons would be integrated into this whole process which "represent justice". WTH? What justice have these girls had?!

Exactly. And in one of the articles it is mentioned by one of the organizers how the plan was NOT to remove that many trees, but how so many of them were dying, dead, not safe, etc. so they were removed anyway. That must be when Drew became the official "to cut or not to cut" decision maker as his profession is tree cutting/removal?

I too wonder how on earth this whole thing is going to be paid for by fundraising. Not just the CURRENT renovations, but future ones as well. Are they going to continually raise funds forever for the maintenance and future repairs? The funds there today aren't going to continually funnel in. At some point it will more than likely be included in some sort of tax increase down the road, would be my guess.

I still think there is something VERY fishy about this whole complete destruction of the island.

If I were a member of the Evansdale community I'd be raising hell. I can't believe there aren't people who wonder HOW all of this possibly came about without anyone knowing.

And just think of all the $$ going towards this shrine. Why doesn't this family want all proceeds to FIRST go to any resources that aid in finding of the killer. THEN once the killer is found and brought to justice any leftover money could go towards a memorial.

They claim purple ribbons would be integrated into this whole process which "represent justice". WTH? What justice have these girls had?!

I agree. What has me thinking is that if all this happened so quickly without proper planning, funding, etc. behind closed doors what else may be going on behind closed doors?

Personally, I feel the $$$ would be better spent on a private investigator.
:twocents:

As soon as the bulldozers were on the move, I started looking for the plans - pretty much in shock that there appeared to be none. A renovation to six acres of public land needs an approved plan.

I've been surprised to read that the planning committee needs someone to make the plans. Did City Council carte blanche grant control of the land to a public interest group?

It's like the cart is so far in front of the horse that the horse doesn't know what it's pulling.

or carpenters are contemplating which cart (or what is a cart!) to build.
Would not happen here! People would be in the streets camped out to prevent any further construction - and I mean literally with tents and sleeping bags. People took over one park for four months where changes were planned ... they moved in in December sleeping bags and all.!

You know, with the way things are going down and so quickly, sometimes I think there may have been a hidden agenda. I can't put my finger on it, but it's very disturbing.

The news interview I heard stressed 'safety' ie. "no place to hide".

right on!!!!! :rocker::rocker::rocker:

I can't seem to shake the connection of some sort of maintenance (or water conservation person, fish conservation etc.) type DNR worker who would be familiar with both places.

Someone who could have run into the girls at the park on several occassions...or even the skate park maybe?

There has to be some sort of connection between the 2 parks. :banghead:

Also watch Seven bridges to see who uses it frequently. Boating, camping, fishing, drinking parties, etc.

Very likely they aren't going out there now.... but who used it in the past?
Maybe concentrate on younger users? Highschool age? Know drug users ?
You wonder if someone doesn't know or has heard 'something'.

I think you might have misunderstood georger, TLCYA isn't part of the Evansdale community, but I very much appreciate TLCYA's posts and I sure miss GrainneDhu's presence and valued input here at WebSleuths.

Thanks! I have tried to keep track of who is who but Im so far removed I frankly have lost track so your explanation helps!

GO HAWKS TONIGHT!!! :seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member