IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister and her husband both drive Suburbans (late model). The reason why is because they are both anesthesiologists and they have seen way too up close and personal the damage to the human body that can happen when that body is in a lighter weight car in a crash with a heavier vehicle.

Same reason that when I turned 16, my father bought me an Olds Toronado. It was the heaviest passenger car that year (and lots of other years; this was the era of the land yacht). My father is an anesthesiologist and he was determined that his daughter was not gonna be in the lighter car. No matter how much of a daredevil leadfoot she turned out to be (I stopped counting warnings when I passed 50 before I was 20). My teenage philosophy was that what my parents didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

Looking back, I think my dad made a smart decision.

My sister and brother-in-law are like my dad. They have two sons and their safety is the highest priority they have. My sister still has the car she got when she graduated from med school, a sporty little Mazda. Her sons have never, ever ridden in that car because it is small and lightweight. No way are they allowed to risk their lives that way.

Besides, if either of her sons put so much as a scratch on her little car, my sister might just fall into a hissy fit and never come out of it. She gets asked all the time if she's had it restored but she hasn't; she's just been very careful and made sure it always had a garage to live in.

I don't know if our family is atypical or not. I don't think so; when I go to a medical appointment, the doctor's lot is full of huge SUVs and full sized vans. They might drive something sporty for fun but for every day safety? Go with the heaviest vehicle you can get.

I have noticed that there are two types of people who drive the gas guzzlers: the well off and the very poor. Those gas guzzlers are older and just not worth very much. It is easier to eke out the money for gas each month than it is to qualify for a vehicle loan.

OT ... I drove a SAAB for safety - before it was bought out by GM. It had an integral frame, making the Swedish SAAB almost the safest vehicle on the road.

I suppose we can't draw any conclusions about the vehicle owner based on the vehicle type, as it sounds like the region does play a role in choice of SUV ... especially if vehicle registration discounts are available to SUV owners if the rear seats are removed.

If it is an older model (significantly older model) I would not think it is a status symbol or a company vehicle. That is actually a good thing-I feel like it narrows the window down much more than just "white van" which is commonly used as a company/delivery vehicle. There really can only be so many old white SUVs out there, yes? Maybe it will jog someone's memory who knows of someone who owns a vehicle like that, or did.

I agree. It narrows it down a LOT.

Guess I was thinking about Nebraska because there were several vehicles from there at Seven Bridges.

OT ... I drove a SAAB for safety - before it was bought out by GM. It had an integral frame, making the Swedish SAAB almost the safest vehicle on the road.

I suppose we can't draw any conclusions about the vehicle owner based on the vehicle type, as it sounds like the region does play a role in choice of SUV ... especially if vehicle registration discounts are available to SUV owners if the rear seats are removed.

I don't think there were many SAABs in the US when I was 16.

I never caused an accident in my land yacht but I was once rear ended by someone driving a Datsun compact. It scratched the bumper of my beloved Toronado but crumpled both front quarter panels on his car. My dad bragged about that for months.

It isn't enough to simply take out the rear seats on an SUV or other vehicle to get the business discount. You have to show a form that the previous owner (whether car dealership or private party) fills out that includes a statement as to how many seat and seatbelt combos there are in the vehicle at sale. If the answer on the form is more than two, so sorry, you don't qualify. And you have to have a business tax number, a business license, etc, to prove that you do have a business.

If you own a business, it's not tough to prove that the vehicle is for your business but for a non-business owner, it's just not worth it.

Guess I was thinking about Nebraska because there were several vehicles from there at Seven Bridges.

When were you there? A lot of people come from all over to hunt in Iowa during pheasant and deer seasons. So many that one of the motels in the small town near me has a pheasant processing station for hunters to use, including a chest freezer.

Sorry to find out there is no new news about the case. I am very please there have been no abductions in the area yet that I know of. Please God keep all the kids safe and that there will be a break in the case that produces the killer(s) one day.

I am sure us Websleuths members do this anyway but please do not let your children go away unsupervised if they are still very young and without telling you exactly where they are going.

You might think your kids will be safe in the neighbourhood but there is unfortunately evil people everywhere that can cause harm and kids and teens need to know what to do to stay safe.

Just wanted to add another local perspective here. From the start, I have wracked my brain thinking of everyone I know who might be a potential suspect in this case. I have an acquaintance, a friend of a friend, if you will, who has always come to mind. He is a single man in early 30's, works 3rd shift at a local large corporation. No criminal history that I'm aware of. He's not the most successful in relationships and I honestly don't think he's ever been in a relationship at all. He's the outdoors type. I know he has ATVs and a snowmobile.
So when it comes out that the girls are found at Seven Bridges, it was mentioned that he used to party there in high school. After the girls went missing, he sold his 12 year old white Chevy Suburban and moved out of his house to buy a new one. So this all seems really suspicious to me of course! And so now I have a tip to call in and the SUV detail was the tipping point for me. Better safe than sorry, just in case! I'm sure other locals have other people in mind too.

Just wanted to add another local perspective here. From the start, I have wracked my brain thinking of everyone I know who might be a potential suspect in this case. I have an acquaintance, a friend of a friend, if you will, who has always come to mind. He is a single man in early 30's, works 3rd shift at a local large corporation. No criminal history that I'm aware of. He's not the most successful in relationships and I honestly don't think he's ever been in a relationship at all. He's the outdoors type. I know he has ATVs and a snowmobile.
So when it comes out that the girls are found at Seven Bridges, it was mentioned that he used to party there in high school. After the girls went missing, he sold his 12 year old white Chevy Suburban and moved out of his house to buy a new one. So this all seems really suspicious to me of course! And so now I have a tip to call in and the SUV detail was the tipping point for me. Better safe than sorry, just in case! I'm sure other locals have other people in mind too.

Sounds like this person could be the guy. It really does take everyone, anyone, who might know something. Lots of clues have fallen into place with this guy for you. I believe a Suburban is definitely the type of vehicle they are looking for. Thank you for calling in this tip! I sure hope we hear something soon.

When were you there? A lot of people come from all over to hunt in Iowa during pheasant and deer seasons. So many that one of the motels in the small town near me has a pheasant processing station for hunters to use, including a chest freezer.

Oh no sorry, I was never there, I should have elaborated on the post. Regarding the day the girls were found I had read news articles that stated there were several FBI vehicles from Nebraska at the scene. It just made me wonder if other FBI from neighboring states get involved.

Oh no sorry, I was never there, I should have elaborated on the post. Regarding the day the girls were found I had read news articles that stated there were several FBI vehicles from Nebraska at the scene. It just made me wonder if other FBI from neighboring states get involved.

Aha! Iowa is covered by the FBI branch office in Omaha, Nebraska, which is right on the Nebraska-Iowa border on Interstate 80.

Iowa and Nebraska are both low population, mostly rural states. For some agencies, it just makes sense to cover the two states out of one single office.

Most people with an SUV buy it because they have a family to transport. The SUV is the modern version of the Station Wagon. Large SUVs are also popular because it's possible to fold down the seats and sleep in the back, or transport a lot of stuff.

The photographer that kidnapped the 11 year old girl and left her to die in the mountains drove an SUV.

Should we be going back to the highway construction and looking at transient workers that passed through Evansdale for work?

I have an SUV and thinking back to the reasons for choosing this vehicle, it was because I could fold down the seats and throw a couple of bikes in the back, I could pack a lot of stuff and take short trips, and I could transport several people if necessary. I don't think an SUV is a convenient vehicle for deliveries. It's about as convenient for deliveries as a car with a trunk.

Respectfully Otto, sometimes people want these oversized SUV's so they can modify them, i.e. such as the hippy vans of the 60's and 70's.

People remove seats, install carpet, etc., in order to facilitate using the vehicle for whatever purpose they have in mind. Someone mentioned upthread, if they can obtain a cheap vehicle, they don't mind paying for the fuel.

IMO

Adair, is the house still vacant? Maybe if it is for sale or rent you could "check" it out. That's what I did on another case - my POI put his house up for sale and through the Internet I was able to view the house and yard - I didn't find anything in the photos but it was worth checking out. Thank you for providing this lead to LE, they can't be everywhere and don't always know what others know.

There is an article about the memorial ride and drive next weekend on KWWL. Also the Des Moines register website has a video interview with Drew and Heather & article. It's not about the memorial, but more about the girls' lives and how the family is coping.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20130707/NEWS01/307070040

“I’ve never run into a case like this where there is just so little evidence that we found at the scene,” he said. “This case has taken so many different twists and turns as we’ve followed up on it.”

From the same article:

snip

Smock said he hopes to announce in the “very near future” whether Klunder had any involvement in the case.

Despite the apparent lack of clues and suspects, Smock said the case is far from cold. Three investigators from the state Division of Criminal Investigation and the FBI are working on the case full-time, and more are assigned as new information becomes available, he said.

snip

“I know people get tired of hearing that the case is under investigation ... but with so little physical evidence at the scene where the girls’ bicycles were found and the amount of time that had gone by until when the girls’ bodies were found, we have to be very protective of what we have,” Smock said.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20130707/NEWS01/307070040

“I’ve never run into a case like this where there is just so little evidence that we found at the scene,” he said. “This case has taken so many different twists and turns as we’ve followed up on it.”

I have to say I am a bit shocked.
What is everyone's opinion:
Do you all think this person is that sophisticated of a criminal?
Or do you think they are very controlling and keeping all that know quiet and in fear?
Do you think it's right under our noses and we do not see it?
Do you think they are a loaner and no one else knows?
Do you think if they found the vehicle they would find more evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GhostlyDarling