IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new. Does anyone here actually personally "know" any of the family and willing to admit it? 3crazy - you sound like you know them... I look forward to discussing with you all! For me - the Steele interview left me feelin "empty" - he didn't ask ANY investigative reporter questions AT ALL! ... it was all like follow-up stuff. Since we are talking about why the Collins were on the TV and not the others, that does bring up an interesting "flip" - when the girls were all first missing, it was Misty, Willma, and Tammy mostly in the news. Now it is Heather and Drew in the news. Why the flip? (I don't have answers - just thinking out loud with you all.)

I'm new. Does anyone here actually personally "know" any of the family and willing to admit it? 3crazy - you sound like you know them... I look forward to discussing with you all! For me - the Steele interview left me feelin "empty" - he didn't ask ANY investigative reporter questions AT ALL! ... it was all like follow-up stuff. Since we are talking about why the Collins were on the TV and not the others, that does bring up an interesting "flip" - when the girls were all first missing, it was Misty, Willma, and Tammy mostly in the news. Now it is Heather and Drew in the news. Why the flip? (I don't have answers - just thinking out loud with you all.)

Welcome!!

No, I do not personally know them. I agree in your opinion that I didn't come out with any new "updated" info - but I don't think they have anything they can really tell either. LE isn't giving them any info, so I'm not surprised that it was a regurgitation of info that has been public knowledge for close to a year now.

so what does it mean that he went here?

From my understanding (and per Gran's previous post) it is where all new prisoners start out. They are evaluated, etc. and then it is decided as to where they would serve their full sentence.

I'm not sure if it's due to resources needed, capacity issues, etc. that the review is all done there...but I believe it's where all new inmates start out.

Please note I didn't say she WAS headed toward a better life I said I HOPED she was.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that her drug connections are still rearing their ugly head, statistically speaking. Makes me sad for her and her family (esp. her son!).

I feel sad for Misty and her family too. I did not realize that she had a son. Is the boy that Dan's mother has custody of? Is Dan Lyric's paternal father or step-father? If Lyric was a step-child would Dan still have to pay child custody in regards to Lyric? I'm confused. From the beginning I thought someone might have taken both girls in order to hurt Misty and Heather. Rethinking that altogether, and now I think they might have been taken to hurt Dan. Certainly accomplished getting him behind bars a long time. . .

And that smackdown the judge gave about Dan having a negative impact on everyone's life he came in touch with . . . last time I looked Misty was of legal age and of sound mind to make her own decisions and probably were most of the people with which he had contact.

If Dan came down hard on Lyric when she and her cousin went missing and he had Misty call LE, well, he certainly knew Lyric did not need to be wandering away from home. He probably did come down hard on her and scare her, and she did want to run away or leave. Probably the first time she had a serious scolding. I'm sure he didn't trust anyone he had dealings with and he was probably highly aware of other predators in the area. I think he was being protective of her. . . :truce: :moo:

Welcome EchoinEdale! :seeya:

This is from Grainne Dhu's original post:

DM most likely will be sent to Oakdale (Iowa City) to be evaluated and processed for placement in the prison system. That's where every prison inmate first enters the system in Iowa. Depending on his evaluation, he will then be sent to a prison.

Filing an appeal does not mean he would stay in BHCJ, that's not how the system works. Once someone is sentenced, they are processed into the prison system while their appeal (if any) goes through the court system.

When I belonged to a kennel club in Iowa City, we would do an obedience demo twice a year at Oakdale. What stands out in my memory is how hungry those prisoners were to just pet and sweet talk our dogs. It was easy to see that for them, that demo was a big event.

I can't quite get the hang of the double quote option yet! :blushing:

In the interview, Heather said the issues between herself and Misty go back to childhood. I'm sure there are dynamics at play between them that no outsider could understand. JMO.

I personally don't care for Heather, based on what I've see, heard and read about her. IMO she is superficial, status conscious and enjoys attention. I've seen nothing that I would call genuine grieving on her part.

But she's a mother who has lost a daughter, and for that reason alone I'm willing to assume she is grieving in her own way. I hope that 'giving it to God' will continue to work for her because if it doesn't, I feel she'll find it impossible to carry on. JMO.

In regards to the "issues" that Heather said went back to childhood with Misty, I certainly hope those "issues" did not carry over to Lyric. It makes me sad to think that Lyric knew that her aunt had "issues" with her mother. Lyric had enough "issues" to deal with besides conflicts between two people she identified as a mother figure. JMO.

Allegedly Lyric grew up with a meth lab in the house...still waiting for confirmation on that.

We know it was Wylma's house, and we know Wylma saw a lot of H & D's children.

At the very least they were exposed to a drug manufacturer, regularly.

Too sad.

:cow:

Are there any recent pictures of the Angel Park Project? I'm just curious of how its turning out and what it looks like.

Oakdale is located just outside Coralville and is staffed in part with personnel from the University of Iowa.

All prisoners go there first for full medical exams, testing for infectious diseases and to receive any medical treatment they need that is discovered at that time.

They also undergo psychiatric evaluation to assess how likely it is that they will be violent, their escape risk, etc.

Based on those assessments, they are then assigned to a prison to serve their sentence.

So there's nothing significant about the fact that DM has been transferred there. That's just how the system in Iowa works.

Are there any recent pictures of the Angel Park Project? I'm just curious of how its turning out and what it looks like.

Me too. It must be looking pretty good though. I saw in one of the local obits that someone's memorial service was held there. (sorry I don't remember anything else about it) but iirc it was an older person.

I understand the logic behind forgiving someone so as to not have the grievance against you weighing down your heart. Carrying around anger and hatred in your heart is bad for your mental and physical health and will take it's toll. But when you forgive someone in your heart, this does not mean that you have to forgive them publicly or even outwardly.

Forgiving someone so as to not hold onto the anger doesn't mean you can't still seek justice or want justice.

I think it would be hard to openly forgive someone without knowing who the offender is/was. Hypothetically speaking (and I don't believe this to be the case) what if Misty killed the girls? Would Heather still forgive Misty for killing them, but not for her drug habits? What if it was Tammy? What if it was Drew? Is the blanket forgiveness still on the table?

It's a tragic situation to be dealing with and I can't imagine their pain, frustration and anger. It's frustrating for those of us following the case because we want justice, too. There is understandable frustration that Drew & Heather never spoke out, were hidden from the media while the searches for the girls were happening. Maybe that was when their grief and pain was most unbearable which prevented them from publicly asking for help finding their daughter and niece.

The truth is there is no right or wrong answer, we all want the truth and justice until then we only speculate and look for answers where there may be none.

Everyone's experiences are different and the following is just my experience.

I had to be willing to say I forgave the man who raped me because somehow that bolstered my determination to do so. Saying so publicly somehow made it more real for me than just thinking about it, which I did for 2-3 years before I ever said anything about it to anyone else. (I'm not exactly a fast thinker.)

As for justice, once I forgave the man who raped me, I was pretty much indifferent to his fate. I hoped that he would be prevented from getting further jobs as a school guidance counsellor (that is how he got access to my 12 year old self) but I hope that no school guidance counsellors are predatory pedophiles. For me, the whole point of forgiving him was to cut the bond between us and it worked rather well.

What I had to learn was that I couldn't have it both ways. I couldn't want to bring serenity and balance back into my life while still passionately hating and fearing that man. For me, it just didn't work to have both in my life and I had to make a conscious decision as to which was more important to me. I chose serenity and balance but others choose differently and I am not here to say that they are wrong.

I made the choice that made the most sense to me and I think that choosing differently is, well, just different. Not bad, not better, just different.

Allegedly Lyric grew up with a meth lab in the house...still waiting for confirmation on that.

We know it was Wylma's house, and we know Wylma saw a lot of H & D's children.

At the very least they were exposed to a drug manufacturer, regularly.

Too sad.

:cow:

Sorry I am just now responding to your earlier questions about the meth house. The evening I came back to reply to your post the thread was locked and under review and I wasn't able to post.

I was in error when I stated Lyric lived there. I do not know where she lived. I do know a house that Dan and Misty lived in was seized as a meth house and then was repossessed by the bank. Wylma was on the deed but had a different home. I would assume she co-signed on the mortgage. Perhaps Misty didn't have the needed credit and needed a co-signer? Neighbors reported seeing Lyric outside on her bike in the early hours of the mornings at the meth home so I would assume if she didn't live there, she was at least on overnight visits with her parents. Misty spoke of taking Lyric to George Wyth Park every day so I'm guessing Lyric was with Misty frequently.

If you read this article, prosecutors at Dan's trial speak of son Dillin being in a drug home in December 2011, the same month and year I mentioned of a house that was seized and repossessed (link below). I would assume that validates there was a meth home and whether or not you believe Lyric spent time in that home, I don't have a link to prove that and you'll have to decide that on your own:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_6e223240-1c9c-11e3-9c93-001a4bcf887a.html

"But prosecutors painted a different picture of Morrissey, stating there was evidence he simply continued his involvement with drugs during the disappearance, not only using them himself but selling them for profit.

“He was doing this activity before, he did it after ... There are reports of his house smelling of chemicals the day that the report was given that they found the bodies. That wasn’t a triggering event. That started before that, to have that chemical smell before the report was even given,” Assistant Black Hawk County Attorney Brad Walz said.

“He is getting pseudoephedrine and lithium and other items for manufacturing methamphetamine while the (Tri-County Drug Enforcement) Task Force is following him around ... He’s doing this where you’d think Mr. Morrissey would have some idea that people might be following him or watching what he’s doing,” Walz said.

Morrissey’s 17-year-old son was with him when police saw Morrissey drop a package of fake meth. He said the son was also at a meth lab at a Kingsley Street home when police raided it in December 2011.

Walz had asked the court to stack the sentences for a total of 135 years, and the defense had suggested something in the 30- to 40-year range would be appropriate.

In handing down the 90-year sentence, Judge David Staudt said Morrissey had “affected negatively probably every person” he’d come into contact with.

“Since you were released from custody after your daughter’s unfortunate event, you were utilizing other women you knew to go to stores to buy or steal pseudoephedrine so you could manufacture methamphetamine,” he said. “The fact that your child was in your home when you were arrested on these events show that you don’t use very good judgment concerning yourself as a parent, to subject them to those conditions, to those situations, to those individuals and to that behavior is certainly not good parenting.”

Sorry I am just now responding to your earlier questions about the meth house. The evening I came back to reply to your post the thread was locked and under review and I wasn't able to post.

I was in error when I stated Lyric lived there. I do not know where she lived. I do know a house that Dan and Misty lived in was seized as a meth house and then was repossessed by the bank. Wylma was on the deed but had a different home. I would assume she co-signed on the mortgage. Perhaps Misty didn't have the needed credit and needed a co-signer? Neighbors reported seeing Lyric outside on her bike in the early hours of the mornings at the meth home so I would assume if she didn't live there, she was at least on overnight visits with her parents. Misty spoke of taking Lyric to George Wyth Park every day so I'm guessing Lyric was with Misty frequently.

If you read this article, prosecutors at Dan's trial speak of son Dillin being in a drug home in December 2011, the same month and year I mentioned of a house that was seized and repossessed (link below). I would assume that validates there was a meth home and whether or not you believe Lyric spent time in that home, I don't have a link to prove that and you'll have to decide that on your own:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_6e223240-1c9c-11e3-9c93-001a4bcf887a.html

"But prosecutors painted a different picture of Morrissey, stating there was evidence he simply continued his involvement with drugs during the disappearance, not only using them himself but selling them for profit.

“He was doing this activity before, he did it after ... There are reports of his house smelling of chemicals the day that the report was given that they found the bodies. That wasn’t a triggering event. That started before that, to have that chemical smell before the report was even given,” Assistant Black Hawk County Attorney Brad Walz said.

“He is getting pseudoephedrine and lithium and other items for manufacturing methamphetamine while the (Tri-County Drug Enforcement) Task Force is following him around ... He’s doing this where you’d think Mr. Morrissey would have some idea that people might be following him or watching what he’s doing,” Walz said.

Morrissey’s 17-year-old son was with him when police saw Morrissey drop a package of fake meth. He said the son was also at a meth lab at a Kingsley Street home when police raided it in December 2011.

Walz had asked the court to stack the sentences for a total of 135 years, and the defense had suggested something in the 30- to 40-year range would be appropriate.

In handing down the 90-year sentence, Judge David Staudt said Morrissey had “affected negatively probably every person” he’d come into contact with.

“Since you were released from custody after your daughter’s unfortunate event, you were utilizing other women you knew to go to stores to buy or steal pseudoephedrine so you could manufacture methamphetamine,” he said. “The fact that your child was in your home when you were arrested on these events show that you don’t use very good judgment concerning yourself as a parent, to subject them to those conditions, to those situations, to those individuals and to that behavior is certainly not good parenting.”

Do you have a link for the above highlighted, neighbors reported seeing Lyric riding her bike in the early mornings at the meth house? Because through the rumor mill, I heard that Elizabeth was often allowed to roam at will through her neighborhood, but I don't put much stock into rumor mills. Also, it is my understanding that both Dan and Misty had RO's against each other for the domestic violence charge. They were not supposed to be together. Also Misty had only been out of a halfway house for a few months from her prior sentence which included buying huge quantities of the ingredients to manufacture meth. It was my understanding Dan lived with his mother and Misty lived with Wilma.

Also, from the link above:

Why would Dan be dropping fake meth? That's enough to possibly get you killed right there. Was Dan also at the meth lab on Kingsley Street or just the son?

Do you have a link for the above highlighted, neighbors reported seeing Lyric riding her bike in the early mornings at the meth house? Because through the rumor mill, I heard that Elizabeth was often allowed to roam at will through her neighborhood, but I don't put much stock into rumor mills. Also, it is my understanding that both Dan and Misty had RO's against each other for the domestic violence charge. They were not supposed to be together. Also Misty had only been out of a halfway house for a few months from her prior sentence which included buying huge quantities of the ingredients to manufacture meth. It was my understanding Dan lived with his mother and Misty lived with Wilma.

Also, from the link above:

Why would Dan be dropping fake meth? That's enough to possibly get you killed right there. Was Dan also at the meth lab on Kingsley Street or just the son?

I have no link to neighbors seeing Lyric outside so by all means take what I say with a grain of salt. The drug house seizure was 7 months prior to the girl's murders so I can't confirm what you want confirmed other than the foreclosure information is on iowa courts online under both Misty's and Wylma's names and I did look at the assessor's page prior to the house being sold and at that time both names were listed as owners. The new owner's info is now showing so I can't prove that for you either other than to say I did see the info. If you choose not to believe me not much I can do and I won't lose sleep over it.

I thought the article I quoted about Dillin being in the meth home that was busted was self explanatory that it was Dan's bust being referenced and that was why the judge commented on the parenting. Have a nice evening!

"Since you were released from custody after your daughter’s unfortunate event, you were utilizing other women you knew to go to stores to buy or steal pseudoephedrine so you could manufacture methamphetamine,” he said. “The fact that your child was in your home when you were arrested on these events show that you don’t use very good judgment concerning yourself as a parent, to subject them to those conditions, to those situations, to those individuals and to that behavior is certainly not good parenting.”

Not being snarky here, but I am a woman and I do not allow myself to be "utilized". Most of the women I know don't allow themselves to be "utilized". Admittedly Dan was an addict, but it seems he surrounded himself with enablers instead of "women he could utilize." Those people should be just as accountable as he.

[http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdale...a4bcf887a.html

"Since you were released from custody after your daughter’s unfortunate event, you were utilizing other women you knew to go to stores to buy or steal pseudoephedrine so you could manufacture methamphetamine,” he said. “The fact that your child was in your home when you were arrested on these events show that you don’t use very good judgment concerning yourself as a parent, to subject them to those conditions, to those situations, to those individuals and to that behavior is certainly not good parenting.”

Did you notice in the part of the article you quoted from this link the judge using the word "them" instead of the word him regarding subjecting child (Dillin) or children to the drug world?

Not being snarky here, but I am a woman and I do not allow myself to be "utilized". Most of the women I know don't allow themselves to be "utilized". Admittedly Dan was an addict, but it seems he surrounded himself with enablers instead of "women he could utilize." Those people should be just as accountable as he.

Boots - the part you quote about the women... that was the JUDGE'S QUOTE! The thing about Dillon being there when Dan was arrested - that is a fact. The judges do not make this up. They weren't "enablers" - those are people who just act like it is all okay.... they were people who were as you said - just as responsible as he - and should be held accountable - yes.... BUT this is not their trial. This is not those women's case. This is Dan's case.

Janie - thanks for the link - I hadn't read that one - and it contained much more than the TV coverage!

And I gotta add - simply my opinion only.... that part in the article that he's saying it is all grief. GIVE.ME.A.BREAK! Most of the charges he faced were before his daughter's abduction. Grief - yes - I'm sure... but I'm sorry - if you really feel badly - man-up to your mistakes prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV