IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even imagine...what a horrible experience to have to live through. :(

So young, and to realize he has likely relived that moment of discovery a million times over in his mind makes me so sad for him.

I don't know why, but with them being involved in the initial search it sort of surprises me that they wouldn't have realized what they had come upon. I do not mean that negatively at all, because for the love of God who would ever think they'd come upon something like that.
It just sort of surprises me that between the time they found them and the officer responding etc, that it didn't dawn on them that it could be the girls. :(

The officer seemed to quickly realize what the situation likely was. I'm sure he had difficulties following that day as well. Every officer I know has always said "anything with kids is the worst." I'm sure he was heartbroken just like the hunters when reality hit as to who those remains belonged to.

Hopefully all of them have been able to have some sort of counseling, support system or just someone to talk to about it. I can't imagine having to live with those images in my mind every day.

Praying for peace to all of them...how saddening. :(

I have to bet there was no way to easily see the cause of death when these hunters found the girls.

IMO if these hunters could easily identify a COD they would NOT want their names out there. People could potentially hound them for info. As long as LE knows without a doubt there was no way for these guys to know COD they won't have an issue with them revealing their identities. But if there was anything clearly visible (shattered skulls from a gunshot, rope/strangulation device, or stab wounds on bone) they would NOT allow these guys to talk. :(

Or, maybe it's as simple as the guys didn't even get close enough or really look at the bodies. They may have seen just a fragment of one of the bodies and clothing or something like that and called LE right away.

My ONLY hesitation with that theory is that it is not all that uncommon for hunters to come across carcasses/bones during hunting season. All the hunters I know would have more than likely did a little "investigative" work (if the bones were not 100% intact) to determine it wasn't a deer or other larger animal carcass.

My guess is the girls were clothed (at least partially) and those hunters knew IMMEDIATELY it wasn't an animal carcass. :(

I think you're right about the condition of the bodies and how they knew it was the girls. But just my opinion.... LE might have strongly suggested that they not share too much info on the condition, but can they really STOP them from talking? Locals in that area knew who they were. The names just weren't released publicly.

There is a KLD who lives right around the corner from WC ..., a 3 minute drive and an 11 minute walk.

Don't know if it is the hunter who found L and E though, but if it is, what a coincidence!

The world just keeps getting smaller.

Imo

Maybe they didn't realize at first because the girls were partially covered with something? Oh....maybe I'm just hoping they were.

I think you're right about the condition of the bodies and how they knew it was the girls. But just my opinion.... LE might have strongly suggested that they not share too much info on the condition, but can they really STOP them from talking? Locals in that area knew who they were. The names just weren't released publicly.

I believe LE could enforce some sort of gag order if they felt the need couldn't they?

I mean, they could potentially know lots of things that could reveal crucial information such as:

Where they staged? Laying close to each other? Remains drug about? Were they face up/face down? Were they bound? What kind of bindings? Tape over their mouth? Visible skeletal damage? Were their bodies fully decomposed to skeleton or partially that would suggest they'd been kept alive for some length of time?

:) Just thinking that IF anything revealing was seen by the hunters, IMO they wouldn't want them publicly identified. However, I would think they COULD be forced somehow to keep quiet if LE felt the need. Maybe not?

Maybe they didn't realize at first because the girls were partially covered with something? Oh....maybe I'm just hoping they were.

With hardwood trees around, maybe the remains could have been covered with leaves?
Maybe the remains he found were not intact?
Maybe the hunter came across only one set of remains when he made the call and didn't associate it with the girls?
Maybe the patrolman actually discovered both remains site himself after responding to the call?
Or, maybe the hunter could have been leading him back to where he found some bones and then they may have come across the actual site?

Hopefully by coming forward and speaking in the interview, the hunter and his family will be relieved of the strain they have been under for this past year and will now be able to find some solace after their horrific find. Prayers are being sent for the three of them to receive some sort of peace now, knowing that they have helped two families, the LE and a community with their discovery. Prayers and hugs also go out to that patrolman for witnessing that scene.

JMO, a few observations from the above video..

Due to the elbow in the Wapsipinicon River where the remains were located, as well as the very low elevation of the riverbank terrain, coupled with the river's flooding history. It would have been likely that the perp chose this area knowing that it was a flood plain, and that the remains would eventually be scattered by scavengers and the residue carried downstream by flood waters. This indicates that the perp was not only familar with the 7Bridges Park, but with the specific area of the body disposal, imo.

In July when the girls were abducted the vegetation and full canopy of the surrounding trees would have provided more than adequate privacy to prevent detection at the very secluded 7Bridges Park. The 25 mile distance from the abduction site would indicate an experienced child predator with insight as to jurisdictional linkage blindness and abduction search & rescue procedures as relates to initial search distances..jmo

Sheriff: 2 Bodies Found in Bremer Co., Mother of Missing Girl Reacts to News on Facebook
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Sheriff-2-Bodies-Found-in-Bremer-Co-Wildlife-Area-182379951.html

Wow, I'm shocked the hunters were on the news.

There is a KLD who lives right around the corner from WC ..., a 3 minute drive and an 11 minute walk.

Don't know if it is the hunter who found L and E though, but if it is, what a coincidence!

Imo

Yes, that would be quite the coincidence!
It must have been a very tough year for the hunter, he looks a little worn out, guess his appearance goes against the image in my mind's eye of an tattoo free, rugged and ruddy - faced outdoors man.jmo.

Yes, that would be quite the coincidence!
It must have been a very tough year for the hunter, he looks a little worn out, guess his appearance goes against the image in my mind's eye of an tattoo free, rugged and ruddy - faced outdoors man.jmo.

I agree Dotr! I had a picture in my mind when I heard hunters had found the girls because I have friends who are hunters and they look exactly as you have described, very rugged and ruddy and I have to admit, I never thought of a woman hunter:blushing: ........ on me!

imo

Smock says they know where Klunder was on June 12 and 14, but they are still looking into his whereabouts on the 13th -- the day the girls went missing.

VERY INTERESTING!!!

Yes, Squeeze, although in the article, the Month; June, was a typo as verified by the news station. It is very interesting that over 6 months later, MJK's whereabouts are conveniently unknown by investigators on the date of EC & LC's abduction, but is known on the day before and the day after. Very telling, imo.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_4876f5ce-c875-11e2-a1ed-001a4bcf887a.html
UPDATE: Police look for link between Dayton kidnapping and cousins' case
May 30, 2013 8:15 am

EVANSDALE, Iowa --- Evansdale's police chief hopes to know next week whether deceased sex offender Michael Klunder is linked to the slaying of two cousins who vanished last year while riding bikes.

Chief Kent Smock said investigators are retracing Klunder's steps in July 2012, when 10-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey and 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins were abducted. Their bodies were found in December in a wildlife area in rural Bremer County.

Klunder's name didn't come up during the investigation into the girls' disappearance and deaths.

Smock said investigators are checking Klunder's phone records and seeking other information.
<sniped-read more>

Yes, Squeeze, although in the article, the Month; June, was a typo as verified by the news station. It is very interesting that over 6 months later, MJK's whereabouts are conveniently unknown by investigators on the date of EC & LC's abduction, but is known on the day before and the day after. Very telling, imo.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_4876f5ce-c875-11e2-a1ed-001a4bcf887a.html
UPDATE: Police look for link between Dayton kidnapping and cousins' case
May 30, 2013 8:15 am

EVANSDALE, Iowa --- Evansdale's police chief hopes to know next week whether deceased sex offender Michael Klunder is linked to the slaying of two cousins who vanished last year while riding bikes.

Chief Kent Smock said investigators are retracing Klunder's steps in July 2012, when 10-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey and 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins were abducted. Their bodies were found in December in a wildlife area in rural Bremer County.

Klunder's name didn't come up during the investigation into the girls' disappearance and deaths.

Smock said investigators are checking Klunder's phone records and seeking other information.
<sniped-read more>

BBM

I don't believe LE said they don't know Klunder's whereabouts on July 13th. JMO. In fact:

Smock says they know where Klunder was on July 12 and 14, but they are still looking into his whereabouts on the 13th -- the day the girls went missing.

He says they have information about where Klunder might have been, but they aren't ready to release it just yet.

http://kwwl.m0bl.net/w/main/story/104916976/#top

My opinion of course on Klunder; they are stalling.
I do not know why, could be to keep someone nervous for the time being, more evidence they need to collect so someone doesn't skip town?
I cannot believe they do not have his phone records by now.

BBM

I don't believe LE said they don't know Klunder's whereabouts on July 13th. JMO. In fact:

Smock says they know where Klunder was on July 12 and 14, but they are still looking into his whereabouts on the 13th -- the day the girls went missing.

He says they have information about where Klunder might have been, but they aren't ready to release it just yet.

http://kwwl.m0bl.net/w/main/story/104916976/#top
bbm.
Drew Collins was very clear in his comments directed at perp/s. Does that mean DC believes perp. is still alive?.......

""You're going to be caught," he said. "It may not be today. It might be tomorrow. Be ready for that knock on your door. It's coming. They are going to catch you. You are caught -- as good as caught -- right now."

Imo

WOW.... That is VERY interesting....

I've been saying for how many months.....If cops knew who killed the girls the perp would have been arrested a long time ago.
Someone got away with 2 murders. grrrr
IMo the case is ice cold.

My opinion of course on Klunder; they are stalling.
I do not know why, could be to keep someone nervous for the time being, more evidence they need to collect so someone doesn't skip town?
I cannot believe they do not have his phone records by now.

I'm sure they do have his phone records. Maybe he made it a point to turn it off on 7/13. I still think that he might have had access to a white boxy SUV, and that's how they're trying to tie him to the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ttaylor21318