IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, due to TOS, I cannot say what my first thoughts were . . . but, like many locals I spoke with after the girls' disappearance I was horrified of what I feared we might someday learn about the nature of their disappearance. More specifically, who (plural) disappeared them and why. Many posters on this thread have questioned the silence of locals - the lack of outrage over a more visible investigation. I don't believe for a second that locals feel as if their children are in danger of being abducted and murdered by some killer still out on the loose. I believe there is a common gut feeling here that LE knows exactly who did what and when, and they are focused on making sure their investigation is tight. Like, SS, I have not once waivered from this theory.

Thanks for this insight.

I had wondered why no one was demanding answers from LE and a general belief theyre solving the case explains it.

Folks in Evansdale mustve rolled their eyes when yet another Cook hit the headlines.

Those bearing that name seem doomed to be famous for all the wrong reasons.

I dont think its random chance that a Cook child disappeared as opposed to a child named Smith or Jones or Washington or Robinson or any other clan around town.

:cow:

Thanks for this insight.

I had wondered why no one was demanding answers from LE and a general belief theyre solving the case explains it.

Folks in Evansdale mustve rolled their eyes when yet another Cook hit the headlines.

Those bearing that name seem doomed to be famous for all the wrong reasons.

I dont think its random chance that a Cook child disappeared as opposed to a child named Smith or Jones or Washington or Robinson or any other clan around town.

:cow:

The mothers of BOTH girls were "Cooks". Just sayin'. :)

do you think any of these factored in: drugs, *advertiser censored*, jealousy, hatred, pedophilia, sex trafficking, revenge

I think drug addicts are slaves to chasing down their next high, and subject to a whole host of symptoms of their disease - impaired judgement, lack of self-control, hallucinations, aggressiveness, etc. The Almighty High so rules the addict that I would imagine just about any of your proposed scenarios are possible.

My first thought when Lyric and Elizabeth went missing is that they drowned in Meyers Lake. I didn't want to believe that two little girls could just vanish while riding their bikes on a summer's day.

By the time that theory was disproved, I had learned a lot about the families of these two girls. My take on the abduction, based on the information available in MSM as well as "rumor" on FB and comments to newspaper articles, was that someone wanted leverage for some reason and felt taking these two girls would serve that purpose. Nothing I have read or learned since then has changed my mind.

The part of my theory that I have wavered on is whether it was planned from the beginning to kill the girls. I tend to believe at least one person responsible for the abduction did not know the girls would be killed, but I also believe another person/persons had that intent all along. After all, dead witnesses can't testify against you.

As I've said before, I feel the girls were dead by the time LE began a full search for them, and that at least one of the perps participated in that search.

All JMO.

o/t: but .... 35 years the family had no answers! 35 years!

The Earthly Remains of Paulette Jaster, missing from Michigan in 1979, were located in Texas in 1980 and identified in 2014. Prayers for her family.

http://www.wnem.com/story/24589716/missing-mich-woman-who-died-in-texas-identified

I think that is what bothers me so much about the "they know who the perp is, they are just making their case" theory. These girls lost their lives 2 years ago, yet their perp is free to do what he/she pleases and for how long? If it's 35 years before he/she's arrested? He can get married, have kids, watch them get married, have grand kids and live life pretty fully in 35 years. I'm sure Lryic and Elizabeth would have liked 35 more years to live their lives.

I think that is what bothers me so much about the "they know who the perp is, they are just making their case" theory. These girls lost their lives 2 years ago, yet their perp is free to do what he/she pleases and for how long? If it's 35 years before he/she's arrested? He can get married, have kids, watch them get married, have grand kids and live life pretty fully in 35 years. I'm sure Lryic and Elizabeth would have liked 35 more years to live their lives.

The older a case is, the less likely it will be solved. Everyone knows life isn't a CSI episode, but the idea that all of these unsolved cases on WS from the past few years are thisclose to being solved, LE just needs to process the evidence, etc doesn't make sense to me. I think that in most cases, after the one-year mark, there's probably one or two LE working on the case, if that. It's not a priority anymore. And cases where the victim has been found, yet still no arrests, do not make me that hopeful.

Another is; I doubt LE keeps an eye on these suspects. They do not have the budget or resources to watch these people for years. For example, in the Alanna Gallagher case, the suspect in her case set fire to the Gallagher's cars. Where was LE?

The older a case is, the less likely it will be solved. Everyone knows life isn't a CSI episode, but the idea that all of these unsolved cases on WS from the past few years are thisclose to being solved, LE just needs to process the evidence, etc doesn't make sense to me. I think that in most cases, after the one-year mark, there's probably one or two LE working on the case, if that. It's not a priority anymore. And cases where the victim has been found, yet still no arrests, do not make me that hopeful.

Another is; I doubt LE keeps an eye on these suspects. They do not have the budget or resources to watch these people for years. For example, in the Alanna Gallagher case, the suspect in her case set fire to the Gallagher's cars. Where was LE?

The thanks button wasn't enough. In another year this page will be bumped every few months by a few. In most of the cases I've followed where there was an arrest, it was within a week. With the exception of Elaina Steinfurth.

LE can't rush either an investigation nor an arrest.

To do so is risking another Casey debacle.

They don't give a toss about our feelings on the matter. Theyre not about to arrest anyone without an airtight case.

If you think about it there are PLENTY of indications that they are working the case in one particular direction.

The 100 house sweep back in October
The repeated requests for public help in the early days and nothing since
The lack of BOLOs or warnings for anxious townsfolk
The townsfolk themselves - clearly no one is looking for a predator or anxious at all.

If you think a year is a long time try 8 years. That's how long it took to arrest the perp in Daniel Morecombes case. They even planted undercover officers in jail for months to win the perps trust.

This for a guy who was a POI since week two.

No doubt he had someone alibiing him who also had to be investigated.

Life is not CSI. It takes time and evidence and investgations can have many twists. Add in some expensive lawyers and its even harder to win a conviction. If the perp is already in jail (my guess) then they can take their sweet time.

That car fire virtually solved the case.

I suppose LE were busy doing other things when the freak lit the match, just like they were busy doing other things while he raped and murdered Alannah. They are not psychic, they cannot foretell crimes especially when the perp is new on the block, not on their radar yet.

It takes about 60 seconds to ignite a fire. LE probably had 600 RSO's to investigate as well as the ex wives accusing their husbands etc, all of which have to be followed up.

Yes this kid was creepy and weird, but some thought that about the parents too. Certainly their lifestyle was high risk - all sorts were in and out of their house all leaving DNA to be excluded.

To imply LE somehow failed because they didn't have an officer monitoring the victims parents car seems a bit unfair. No offence meant. :moo:

This statistic is no longer accurate.

Science is solving crimes now...not just DNA but newer sciences such as geographic profiling, forensic linguistics etc.

The speed with which a case is solved is directly related to the speed of CODIS these days. As long as the initial police work was done right. hundreds of cold cases are just sitting there waiting to be solved.

Soon every newborn's DNA will be recorded. The crime solve rate will approach 100% when that occurs.

That car fire virtually solved the case.

I suppose LE were busy doing other things when the freak lit the match, just like they were busy doing other things while he raped and murdered Alannah. They are not psychic, they cannot foretell crimes especially when the perp is new on the block, not on their radar yet.

It takes about 60 seconds to ignite a fire. LE probably had 600 RSO's to investigate as well as the ex wives accusing their husbands etc, all of which have to be followed up.

Yes this kid was creepy and weird, but some thought that about the parents too. Certainly their lifestyle was high risk - all sorts were in and out of their house all leaving DNA to be excluded.

To imply LE somehow failed because they didn't have an officer monitoring the victims parents car seems a bit unfair. No offence meant. :moo:

I am pretty sure that Holder was on LE's radar when he lit the car on fire. They were investigating him and tying all the loose ends together when it happened. He lived two doors away from Alanna, so if they had been monitoring him, it wouldn't have happened. Isn't that what people say in every case...that LE knows who did it weeks, months, or even years before they make an arrest? If Holder was the main suspect at that point, then it doesn't seem like LE was watching him very closely.

This statistic is no longer accurate.

Science is solving crimes now...not just DNA but newer sciences such as geographic profiling, forensic linguistics etc.

The speed with which a case is solved is directly related to the speed of CODIS these days. As long as the initial police work was done right. hundreds of cold cases are just sitting there waiting to be solved.

Soon every newborn's DNA will be recorded. The crime solve rate will approach 100% when that occurs.

There's been suggestions about a national DNA database. It does not mean it's going to happen. Maybe in other countries, but not in the US anytime soon. There would be lot of controversy towards it. I have a hard time imagining that type of bill getting the support of enough members of Congress plus the President. And then not being overturned by the Supreme Court. It's not that simple to get something like that done. There's been nothing more than talk at this point. So to act like it's inevitable doesn't make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela