IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #36

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heather and Drew have been cleared. Heather was at the doctor and I believe Drew was working. There's never been doubts about them.

They had alibis, but did Smock or anyone from LE ever say they were "cleared"?

I am not accusing them or anyone, my point is that as far as I know, LE never officially cleared anyone but Klunder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is great news.

Regarding Dan and Misty being cleared, IIRC no one was officially "cleared", were they? I think Smock was kind of ambiguous about that.

"Chief Smock told KWWL sex offender teams from the state Division of Criminal Investigation are helping interview people of interest, but he says no one has been detained and those interviewed are not any closer to being suspects than anyone else.

On the other hand, he says no one's been cleared of suspicion, either."

http://www.kwwl.com/story/20351247/...chief-squashes-rumors-of-arrest-in-girls-case

As far as I know, only Klunder was ever officially cleared.

They had alibis, but did Smock or anyone from LE ever say they were "cleared"?

I am not accusing them or anyone, my point is that as far as I know, LE never officially cleared anyone but Klunder.

You are correct, I was remembering this...

Investigators have been closely scrutinizing Dan and Misty Morrissey and have subjected both of them to multiple polygraph tests. At the same time, they say they are not considered suspects in the case and are looking into their backgrounds and associates only so as not to discount any possible leads.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dan-mor...faces-possible-trial-amid-search-for-cousins/

Heather and Drew have been cleared. Heather was at the doctor and I believe Drew was working. There's never been doubts about them.

I'm not saying they are involved, but they do need to be cleared and it's never been stated that they were cleared, which we see in cases where they start with the family and work out. Jessica Ridgeway, they cleared her parents right away.

I dont know anything about this case but i do know that more times then not if bodies are found in a almost designated not by rangers or any sighns but by local hunters when its a popular hunting spot chances are the person that left the bodies there was also a hunter in that place regularily or at least once...Ofcourse this is not allways the case but more times then not it is...

You are correct, I was remembering this...

Investigators have been closely scrutinizing Dan and Misty Morrissey and have subjected both of them to multiple polygraph tests. At the same time, they say they are not considered suspects in the case and are looking into their backgrounds and associates only so as not to discount any possible leads.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dan-mor...faces-possible-trial-amid-search-for-cousins/

I remembered that, too, but couldn't find the link!! Thanks for posting it.

I remember we had a lot of discussions about whether "not considered suspects" meant "cleared".

I remembered that, too, but couldn't find the link!! Thanks for posting it.

I remember we had a lot of discussions about whether "not considered suspects" meant "cleared".

I'm just happy to see some work being done, maybe other investigators can lend theories, suggestions, etc that will bring justice.

Yes, b/c they could later become suspects, whereas if they are cleared, they typically have solid evidence that they weren't involved.

I have this discussion bookmarked (who was mentioned as cleared via Smock/LE) in case anyone wanted it.

The only reason I had it bookmarked was because I had spent HOURS trying to find MSM where Heather and Drew were mentioned specifically in regards to being cleared and couldn't find it. :( I'm not suggesting they haven't been cleared - I'd simply bookmarked the discussion in case it needed updated down the road.

If someone bookmarked an MSM where Heather and Drew were specifically mentioned I would like to bookmark it! Thanks everyone! Hopefully this brainstorming session brings some movement - and an ARREST!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...yric-Cook-10-Evansdale-13-July-2012-34/page19

I have this discussion bookmarked (who was mentioned as cleared via Smock/LE) in case anyone wanted it.

The only reason I had it bookmarked was because I had spent HOURS trying to find MSM where Heather and Drew were mentioned specifically in regards to being cleared and couldn't find it. :( I'm not suggesting they haven't been cleared - I'd simply bookmarked the discussion in case it needed updated down the road.

If someone bookmarked an MSM where Heather and Drew were specifically mentioned I would like to bookmark it! Thanks everyone! Hopefully this brainstorming session brings some movement - and an ARREST!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...yric-Cook-10-Evansdale-13-July-2012-34/page19

I've checked and the only person specifically mentioned as cleared that I could find was Klunder.

There is a lot that has gone unsaid in this case. It would be nice to have LE state officially who has been cleared. There have to be some people who via alibis were eliminated as suspects, don't you think? JMO

You are likely right as far as using the word cleared. I think when I bookmarked the conversation we were discussing the phrase "not considered suspects". At that time, Klunder wasn't yet in the picture.

I am sure alibis of anyone considered "of interest" were checked, and likely double and triple checked.

As much as I would love for LE to let us know who is cleared, I have a feeling there may not be anything else they will release as far as info goes. Hopefully I am wrong! Maybe after this meeting they will come back with something new to rustle up new tips/info. We can hope, right? :)

Not to get off the subject, but I'm reading Gone Girl, there is a line in one of the chapters talking about how a woman's purse was left near the edge of the water bank on purpose so it would be found. It had me thinking about Elizabeth's purse. Was Elizabeth and Lyric near the edge of the water and she was distracted away from it? Or did the person who did this toss it near the water in the hope that the police would think the girls drown giving them a chance to get away? The police really had no choice but to drain the lake. So time was wasted to this person's advantage. Again, how convenient for them.

Whether the "crime scene" at the lake was fully staged, partially staged, or not staged at, all I have always felt it was the PERFECT location for them to go missing. Whether LE fell for that distraction, or whether they knew right away it was potentially staged, we don't know. We DO know that while the lake was being drained there were definitely other avenues being pursued and protocols followed - ones that had NOTHING to do with the lake.

At the time, and I'm not so sure my position has changed on this, I felt the lake dredging and draining was an ideal distraction for not only the media (to keep them occupied) but also to possibly not lead on that they did NOT believe the girls were in there, and it gave the perp the perception that LE believed they may actually have drowned.

On a side note - as far as "family being involved" with this distraction at the lake - I've also felt that IF they would have had something to do with them going missing they wouldn't have been screaming at LE that they weren't in the lake.

If the intent was to make the perception they'd drowned while they were being held/taken somewhere else, I wouldn't think the family would be doing interviews saying they hadn't ever been there, or that they would NOT go in the lake...kwim?
They would have been saying something like "we have told the girls several times they were NOT to go to the lake, but unfortunately it appears they didn't follow our instructions" Or "we have always feared this would happen, even though we've warned them multiple times to NOT come to the lake without supervision"...something along those lines.

I would think if anyone WANTED LE to think they were there, they would imply they too thought they had drowned. No?

Anyone have any thoughts on that? Maybe I've just not thought of an opposite approach on this...help me out. :)

I see what you are saying, if the family did have something to do with it, they would have said, "oh there is Elizabeth's purse near the water, I think they drown, we have to search the lake." Didn't one of them say something about the absence of the girls shoes not being on the side of the bank? They were thinking if the girls went into the water to try and swim they would have taken off their shoes, which makes sense.

I agree that it was the perfect location for them to go missing.

I am going back to the truck parked on Arbutus Ave at the bike trail that was seen by a resident. The person in the truck was in a perfect position to spot the girls riding their bikes to the lake. He may have seen them riding earlier in town and when they started down the bike trail towards the lake, he drove on ahead to the end of the bike trail as he began to fantasize.

I think the girls were good girls and listened to their parents and and any authority, even though they may sneak in a few stunts now and then. When the girls came back in the house for a drink (or because of the time - we don't know), I can picture the grandma saying they still had a little more time to ride before she had to go back home. The girls rushed back out for one more ride and decided to go all the way to the lake and back real fast. Nobody would have to know.

When the girls made it to the lake, they got off their bikes, maybe even going around the gate, and went to the edge of the water to skip some rocks before heading back.

The man in the truck saw them and slowly drove down Arbutus and followed them onto the utility maintenance lane. The man had formed his plan now. He could pretend to be a city maintenance worker. Maybe he had some sort of uniform on. He went down to where the girls were and admonished them for whatever (throwing rocks or cutting through the gate or the lane) and told them they were in big trouble. He told them to just leave the bikes and purse and come with him right then because he was taking them back home to their parents. The girls were scared and obeyed him. Once he got them to/in the truck, he took off and they were gone.

Even though this is just a theory or outlandish story, it could explain how these girls were lured to the truck, leaving their bikes and purse behind them.
JMOO

3CK, I fully agree with everything you've said. The bikes and purse at the lake may have been somewhat of a distraction at first, but it was a starting point for LE, and I don't think for a minute that they didn't consider other possibilities. And yes, draining the lake was necessary just to cover all bases, but it was also for the public and media's benefit to keep them occupied while LE followed other leads. I'll argue with anyone who thinks that was their only focus at the time. With all of the media trucks sitting in the parking lot, LE had the perfect opportunity to look other places.
I hadn't really thought about those family statements, but I think you are 100% correct. I'd they had been involved, they would have pointed to keep them from focusing elsewhere.

Good points!!

Hopefully this brings some much needed information...happy dance going on here right now. :)

Do you know what time? I hope and pray they can make an arrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734