Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped for space>

I don't follow facebook, but did read the comments here (referencing facebook) regarding the man seeing a bike on the path at 12:27. Police have said that the bikes were found together leaning against the fence. The facts don't line up between what the man said he saw and what police discovered. The only possibility is that the kidnapper put a bike in the path and then later decided to lean it against the fence, but why would a kidnapper spend time arranging bikes? That seems too risky.

I agree about it being risky. My thought on the bikes is IF the TG sighting/swerving incident is true and accurate, it's really likely someone just being helpful moved the bike(s) off the path to help avoid an accident. I can almost hear them grumbling "damn kids leaving their bikes everywhere." All huge "ifs" but IF that's true I bet the poor person is really not happy right now that their fingerprints are on the bike(s)!

Sorry, but I just have to have a mini vent :maddening:

As I sit here day after day, trying to discover what happened happened to these girls I have come to one conclusion -

I truly feel we are giving this group of people (who have on MULTIPLE occasions wrangled with law enforcement AND done time) entirely TOO much credit to be able to not only concoct, but pull off this type of heist. MOO is that they couldn't ever get away with something this spectacular. Mean or not - I just don't think they have the smarts/mental capacity to fulfill some masterminded plan to make these girls disappear without a trace.

I also feel that within this type of family dynamic SOMEONE would have ratted the other out by now. I mean Dan and Misty had a no contact order, he had beat the hell out of her, and I'm suppose to believe that she wouldn't turn on him in a heartbeat if she thought he was even remotely involved?? And not only her - EVERYONE IN HER ENTIRE FAMILY - INCLUDING HER SISTER AND HER FAMILY?

If they have, then I will eternally be amazed - but looking at how these people function as a family, talk to the media with complete disregard of how "the story goes", and have left essentially not enough evidence behind to arrest someone after TWO WEEKS - I just have to believe there is an even MORE crazy truth behind what has happened to these poor little girls.
RE: MCM How many times have we all heard that the abused spouse goes back to the abuser? It happens all too often. The body language between them does not show hate or disgust IMO. And no, I do not think the entire family is involved. My heart breaks for DC and HC.

According to this article, DM's defense attorney knows why he didn't plead guilty.

http://www.kcrg.com/evansdaledisapp...-Girl-Faces-Trial-Amid-Search--163755026.html

Schoeberl said he knows why Morrissey did not plead guilty July 12 but declined to discuss it.

And this...

The girls' aunt, Tammy Brousseau, said Morrissey backed out of a plea agreement in the cases earlier this month because he did not want to be jailed immediately, which it required. She said she believed he would ultimately accept a plea bargain rather than take his chances at trials to reduce the potential prison term he faces.

makes no sense at all. I think I have a poor understanding of how criminal law works.

Consider the source. Aunt T has made statements all over the map. It's really a buffet. Pick the quotes ya like, leave the ones ya don't.

Also, meth was not just mentioned, it and all that it entails is the central element to every aspect of this story and all the players. I cant help but look at the big picture. Trying to figure out every little detail of the timeline is getting me knowhere. We just come into this story now because some kids dissapeared, but the real story began long ago. It didnt happen in a vacuum.

Actually, if they were abducted while riding their bikes by some crack-pot molester freak with a van or something...the meth has nothing to do with it. Right now, there is no evidence (that is of public knowledge) that type of abduction did not occur. Just sayin'...MOO

I really believ you have to actually see the town and go thru the timeline yourself. I did and it's very easy to get on the nature trail/bike trail and get to Meyers lake fast. The trail is right off Lafayette street east.

They were spotted on video within a block of the Collin's house at 12:15, so we know that they were fine until that time. That was the last that they were seen, so something probably happened shortly after 12:15. That leaves 3 hours for a lot to happen.

I remember that a man said that he swerved around a bike, not two bikes, at 12:27. Since that is not part of the official timeline, chances are that the bike he saw is not connected to the missing children.

It was bikes plural..and he made a phone call to his daughter at 12:27 about something else from a gas station..based on the timing of that call, he estimated that he swerved around the bikes at 12:20. MOO

This is why I think the girls were outside the fence, there is a boat ramp there.

Actually, it's not a boat ramp. I thought that at first as well. From google maps it looks like a boat ramp, but it's actually the drainage pipe that goes under the highway towards the river.

Because of the very recent tryed abductions here in Iowa.

If you find them related, and they occured after the two girls (I know one occurred AFTER the two girls went missing), then why would the perp do it again so close in proximity and so close in time. Why was a white van not reported to be seen by anyone at lake? Where would the two girls be if the same perp is looking for more girls? Do you think this stranger just happened upon the two girls way down inside this bike trail and grabbed them? How would he do this? Would he have help? A weapon?

My kids like them. My 21 year old get them and is forever telling her younger siblings to leave them alone. Siblings being 8 and 6

Yeah I see kids even pretty young kids with them quite a bit too. Kids that young are usually pretty "energetic" already, do they really need gallons of caffeine and sugar too? (not a comment directed at you Thinkerz, it's just what always runs through my head)

I'm not sure how many alleged abduction attempts have been made, but so far none have succeeded? Correct? So somehow they can't manage to abduct one child, but did successfully abduct two?

I'm not saying its impossible, I don't have a theory yet.

Here are some statistics which make me lean away from stranger abduction.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=2810

Johnny Gosch and another boy can't remember his name. Case is cold on both.

Walking out on one is. So is refusing to talk any longer with investigators. This is common knowledge. LE said certain members were refusing to cooperate for a time and that it was a distraction to the case.

As well as upsetting to her sister and brother-in-law who are also missing their child.

Actually, if they were abducted while riding their bikes by some crack-pot molester freak with a van or something...the meth has nothing to do with it. Right now, there is no evidence (that is of public knowledge) that type of abduction did not occur. Just sayin'...MOO

Of course there are other scenarios, this is mine. It just seems to surgical of a strike to be a random crack pot, especially 2 kids in broad daylight, dumping of evidence, no witnesses. Why would potential witnesses to a child abduction not come forward when the cops are pleading for it unless they were scared? Also, all the other abduction attemps are just that, attempts. This one succeeded too well imo to be a random crackpot. Just MO of course.

RE: MCM How many times have we all heard that the abused spouse goes back to the abuser? It happens all too often. The body language between them does not show hate or disgust IMO. And no, I do not think the entire family is involved. My heart breaks for DC and HC.

My heart breaks for the whole family. Lyric is not a throw-away child.

This isn't just a tragedy for Elizabeth's parents. :(

I have a totally different way of looking at it, similar but different. I think there is more to the fact that he did not take the plea. I think someone may have scared him. I think he knew something was going to happen, but did not know what. I don't think anyone called him and made any direct threats. I think he is clueless what happened to his daughter and I think he is probably beating himself up horribly about it. I think he has a big cross to bear within his own mind and heart. I feel for him, I really do.

However I am not fully convinced that this is someone from his past that he turned over on. Its possible. But, honestly in my mind this could be anyone known to either family. It could be someone who was watching the girls from church or from the baseball bleachers. I don't get a strong feeling in any set direction.

I "do" think its very convenient that one family is more dysfunctional, but I cannot lean towards one families set of acquaintance more than another, just so little to go on. I truly hope that LE is in the "know" and getting close to finding them, one way or another. I really really hope they are alive, by my heart and stomach say probably not. MOO

Running on this theory, I believe that this family had every reason under the sun for these girls to NEVER be gone for very long - maybe why Grandma checked on them so often and they all stated they never went that far (to the lake) - just around the immediate area.

I think if there was any indication that these girls were in any danger they wouldn't give them too much room to "run" per se. And my other opinion is that Elizabeth's family seems much more conservative, reserved, etc. Her parents just don't feel to me like the type who would leave their children with people who could potentially put their child in harms way...family or not.

I pray every night for these girls - I just can't believe there hasn't been a break in this case.:please:

If you find them related, and they occured after the two girls (I know one occurred AFTER the two girls went missing), then why would the perp do it again so close in proximity and so close in time. Why was a white van not reported to be seen by anyone at lake? Where would the two girls be if the same perp is looking for more girls? Do you think this stranger just happened upon the two girls way down inside this bike trail and grabbed them? How would he do this? Would he have help? A weapon?

Dubuque Iowa had a similar tryed abduction as you probally know. I find it very strange that three tried abductions have happened just within a few days or weeks.

Grandma said they left at 11:30
She said she became worried when she could not see them outside the house at 12:30
She said she looked everywhere for them from 12:30 to 1:30 and could not find them

If they left at 11:30, they could have definitely made it to the lake and dropped their bikes in the path before TG came along (12:20-12:27).

How likely would it be that Grandma searched for an hour and couldn't find them if they were still around at the time? I don't believe the 2:30 sighting by the man Tammy talked to either because imo, it would be unlikely they would be riding around the lake casually knowing they had not been home since 11:30 and they knew they were not supposed to be gone that long.

and then we have the missing poster that says they were last seen AT THE LAKE at 2:00!! No wonder some of us are confused! So you don't think she saw them at 12:15? Aunt T. says that was definately them because she recognized the bikes in the video. I know that is hard to believe considering how grainy the video is but that's what she said and she sounded like she was convinced of it.

Cindersoot (is that from Ever After?) below is the theory you gave, you think it is someone who lives on the lake? Do you have someone specific in mind, or do you think it was a stranger abduction by someone who happened to live on the lake?

I'm in no way trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from and understand why you think that.

I might be a bit jaded because I haven't followed a case yet where the family wasn't either involved in some way or that hasn't been closed because the family doesn't cooperate.

"Visited Meyers lake for myself yesterday.
Hi, Im new here, finally got registered. I live in central Iowa about an hour away from Evansdale and have been keeping up on this case since the beginning. Yesterday my husband and I went to and I wanted to see for myself the area and I have my own theories. I first found Lyrics grandmas house where the bike ride started and followed it to River forest drive which is like 1000 ft up and turned right, went down Lafayette st, and turned to go down a street to the back of the Big and Tall store and auction house where they were seen on camera. Saw the camera myself, then I went pass Caseys general store and down Lafayette street heading east to a nature tral thats also a bike trail that takes you directly to the spot where the bikes were found at the lake. So they easily could have been on their way to the lake, easily in no time as fast as they were riding. My theory is they met the perp for a boat ride, where the bikes were found is at the east end of the lake along a very closed in tree lined area. I feel it was someone who lives on that small lake. There is a small boat ramp where the bikes where found. I feel he said, "just leave your purse, we will be back". Also I stood at the entrance to the Lake and I was amazed how small and compact the area is. And I might add so very very sad."

I agree - the timing is vital. All of the articles I read referencing what time the Grandma last saw them said 11:30. Will someone please post where Grandma is quoted or on video saying she saw them after 11:30. I think someone mentioned she looked out the window and saw them or waved at 12:15. I have not seen that and would like to. Tia!

snipped
Cook said she is "praying so hard" for the girls' safety while picking over the details of the day she last saw them, when they left for a bike ride at 11:30 a.m.
Cook said Lyric knew she had to return home shortly because Lyric and Cook planned to leave for the home they shared in nearby Waterloo with Lyric's mother, Misty Morrissey, by 1:30 p.m. Cook said she expected the girls to return for lunch or a drink of water or juice as they always did when they were playing in the heat.
"That's what's just so strange about all of it," she said.
Cook said she got nervous when they weren't back by 12:30 p.m. and started driving around town looking for them. After an hour of searching, she returned to the home. Cook said that Misty Morrissey stopped by after getting off work.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/wylma-cook-iowa-cousins_n_1699780.html

snipped
Eight-year-old Elizabeth Collins and 10-year-old Lyric Cook were last seen by their grandmother around 11:30 a.m. on Friday when they asked to go for a short bike ride.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/07/17/missing-girls-grandmother-somebody-could-have-snatched-them

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_507d9bca-d2b1-11e1-8f0b-0019bb2963f4.html
The girls' grandmother, Wylma Cook, said the girls left the Collins home late morning for a bike ride.
She saw them just a short time later behind Lederman&#8217;s clothing store. Closed circuit cameras recorded them in that area about 12:15 p.m.

Yeah I see kids even pretty young kids with them quite a bit too. Kids that young are usually pretty "energetic" already, do they really need gallons of caffeine and sugar too? (not a comment directed at you Thinkerz, it's just what always runs through my head)

Plus they smell like Sweetarts and feet.

My DH drinks Red Bull on the weekends to support his fave F1 team. IMO they are icky.

Actually, it's not a boat ramp. I thought that at first as well. From google maps it looks like a boat ramp, but it's actually the drainage pipe that goes under the highway towards the river.

Empty drainage pipe? Or full of water at that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668