IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s my personal opinion that the girls had not been at Seven Bridges for 5 months. I believe they were killed not long before their bodies were found.

My theory is that they were taken by someone unknown to them and kept alive somewhere for a while. This is completely a hunch but I think he kept them as long as he could but then had to get rid of them because their hiding place was in danger of being discovered.

LE has always said their BODIES were found and not their REMAINS, which to me are different things. Remains are severely decomposed whereas bodies are intact. There was also no mention of only partial remains being found, and if they had been at 7 Bridges for 5 months, from July to December, there’s no way animals wouldn’t have scattered/scavenged their remains. If they had been there since July, in the heat they would have been decomposed to skeletal remains within weeks, leaving months of time animals would have had access to them, not to mention they’d be covered up by leaves falling in autumn.

But, what do I know. I’m just speculating based on bits and pieces of the evidence I’ve heard from LE releases. But I do think the person who took them lived in and probably still lives in the area. I also think there’s zero connection to Delphi and it annoys the heck out of me that people want to connect that just because it was 2 girls abducted together.

You make some good points and I would hope for you to be right because there would likely be more evidence, possibly DNA, left behind by the perpetrator. Unless he/she was extremely meticulous about not leaving anything at the location they were found.

However, I’m open to either one or two separate killers. It may be rare, but it’s not unheard of or impossible for one person to control two young children enough to abduct and kill them.
Joseph Duncan and Michael Klunder are just two examples of killers that did just that and Duncan did it more than once.

We all hope that there would not be several persons evil and disturbed enough to commit these kinds of crimes.
Let’s be patient with those who would rather not think there are so many monsters in our midst.

This is why some of us feel there might be a connection with the Delphi girls:

Among the perplexing aspects of the killings: The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children says abductions of random children have become less common; predators typically seek children online. It's rarer still for two children to be taken at once, and in the middle of the day.

https://news.google.com/articles/CB...y8zNTY0MTMwMDEv0gEA?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

The rarity of two girls being taken supposedly at random in broad daylight can’t be ignored.

However, I personally don’t believe the cases are connected.

Among the perplexing aspects of the killings: The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children says abductions of random children have become less common; predators typically seek children online. It's rarer still for two children to be taken at once, and in the middle of the day.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMilwFodHRwczovL3d3dy5kZXNtb2luZXNyZWdpc3Rlci5jb20vc3RvcnkvbmV3cy9jcmltZS1hbmQtY291cnRzLzIwMTcvMDcvMDkvcGFpbi0yLWlvd2EtZ2lybHMta2lsbGluZ3MtcmVtYWlucy1idXQtcmVzb2x2ZS1ldmFuc2RhbGUtb25seS1ncm93cy8zNTY0MTMwMDEv0gEA?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

The rarity of two girls being taken supposedly at random in broad daylight can’t be ignored.

I agree the rarity of two children being kidnapped at once is a good reason to take a close look at these cases to see if they are connected.
However, a good sleuth would try not to get “tunnel vision” and rule out any possibilities yet. Very little info about this crime has been released other than a (possible) profile of the perp.
I still remember the shock of discovering who the suspect was in the Sandra Cantu investigation.
Joseph Duncan, before he kidnapped Shasta Groene and her little brother Dylan, had already kidnapped and murdered at least one little boy and also two young sisters.
His “type”, if he had one, was probably young boys, but he was an opportunist who would make do with a girl.
I just hope and pray that someday these young girls killer is found and punished for this horrific crime. Just as Joseph Duncan and Melissa Huckaby were caught.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMilwFodHRwczovL3d3dy5kZXNtb2luZXNyZWdpc3Rlci5jb20vc3RvcnkvbmV3cy9jcmltZS1hbmQtY291cnRzLzIwMTcvMDcvMDkvcGFpbi0yLWlvd2EtZ2lybHMta2lsbGluZ3MtcmVtYWlucy1idXQtcmVzb2x2ZS1ldmFuc2RhbGUtb25seS1ncm93cy8zNTY0MTMwMDEv0gEA?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

x2

Random abductions of minors are rare, with double abductions rarer still.

The biggest difference between the two cases is the IA girls were abducted and moved a fair distance, the IN girls were not moved by vehicle. In the Delphi case from the end of the bridge to the CS is about 550 feet.

I don’t think they are connected either @Marilynilpa but I can understand why some people think they might be. It is distressing to think about one child/teen killing double murderer roaming the streets never mind two of them. Both cases are maddening and frustrating my heart breaks for all the girls families and the law enforcement officers desperately trying to catch a break in both cases.

x2

Random abductions of minors are rare, with double abductions rarer still.

The biggest difference between the two cases is the IA girls were abducted and moved a fair distance, the IN girls were not moved by vehicle. In the Delphi case from the end of the bridge to the CS is about 550 feet.

I don’t know this for sure, but have come up with a theory based on the belief that the Delphi girls tried to escape.
My opinion only, based on no reports from LE, is that the Delphi girls were a bit older and I think I read that they had taken a self defense course together after the Evansdale Iowa abductions.
I think the Delphi girls tried to make a break for it across the creek and possibly met their doom there, before the perp could do more than kill them for trying to escape.

I think the Evansdale girls, being younger and not having the advantage of a self defense course were frightened into compliance and then were removed from Meyers park and met their fate at a different location.

It’s scary to think that there could be two separate killers capable of kidnapping and murdering two young girls. Or worse killers with accomplices.

Praying for an answer soon.

I don’t think they are connected either @Marilynilpa but I can understand why some people think they might be. It is distressing to think about one child/teen killing double murderer roaming the streets never mind two of them. Both cases are maddening and frustrating my heart breaks for all the girls families and the law enforcement officers desperately trying to catch a break in both cases.

I think there are enough similarities between both cases to suggest there could possibly be a connection between the Delphi murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German and the Evansdale, Iowa murders of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook.

I think the two facts that make it less likely they are connected are time and distance. The Delphi case happened on February 13, 2017. The Evansdale, Iowa case happened on July 13, 2012. Then there is the distance between the two murders too.

Since I believe the killer in both cases is a poacher, the distance makes sense. And if he is an older individual it makes sense for there to be such a large time gap. I think he has learned a bit of patience over time, and this makes me think he is an older man who is probably a truck driver.
I understand that in the Delphi, IN case the girls were killed in roughly the same area where they were abducted while in Evansdale, IA the girls were transported away from the Meyers Lake area and their bodies found at Seven Bridges Wildlife area. But if you look at a map of the Meyers Lake area, it seems like there are enough witnesses around for a killer to worry about being seen. In Delphi, IN he marched them off the path to the area furthest away from the bridge until it looks he could go no further with them. At that point, they crossed the creek and their bodies were found on the other side. Either way, in both cases, it appears the killer was worried about being seen committing a crime.

Profiles are only as good as the information available and how that information is interpreted. In my opinion, in both these cases you have someone who seems to have a sense of the understanding concerning local areas. I can understand why so many people think each case was committed by someone local to the area.

But just assume(for a second) that the person(s) who committed the Evansdale, IA crime followed it and realized after a period of time that law enforcement are looking for a "local". Wouldn't they use that knowledge to choose their next crime scene and body dump location? Better to leave a body in a local wildlife area than say off an interstate highway exit, even one with a park next to it?

If you are going simply by statistics and what is most likely, then the answer would probably be that these cases are not connected. But, in my opinion, I think it is dismissive to suggest that it has to be a local because of the geography of where the victims were found.

Other differences and some thoughts I've had...

In the Iowa case, after LE got their third tip on a vehicle description, they released the info. Going off of memory, they said it's a large, white, older SUV, and it was seen on the trail near where the bicycles were found. So whoever abducted them drove their vehicle down that trail, and around a bend in it. This indicates to me the possibility of two perps.

In the Delphi case, no vehicle used in the abduction phase of the crimes, but LE now say they're looking for information about a vehicle parked at the the CPS building. Two years since the crimes, but no vehicle description. I've known about the "vehicle by the CPS building" eyewitness reports since early on, but LE have yet to release any description of said vehicle.

Early on I thought maybe BG moved his vehicle from the CPS building area on the county road, to the cemetery. I no longer think the cemetery has much to do with BG's escape from there, it sounds like he ended up back on the main trail, and walked to where the vehicle was parked by the CPS building.

I've thought that BG might know about the bridge and the area around it due to being there weeks, months, even years prior. It's a secluded area, I've driven around where it's located. You have to know it's there, and that there's a bridge a 1/4 mile back in the woods. I think BG did some recon and dry runs prior to 2.13.17, we had two mild winters back to back, so normally when it would have been 10F outside it was north of 40F. He could have been there the previous weekend poking around, getting closer to when he wanted to strike. I think BG chose the time of year he wanted to strike there at Deer Creek.

Going off of part of my theory about BG, it took more personal effort in the Delphi case vs. the Evansdale Iowa case. Plus BG was dealing with girls a little older than Lyric and Elizabeth. That and the circumstances are way different. In Evansdale, an urban trail was used in some way, and a vehicle. In Delphi, BG hung out for a considerable time until someone fell into his trap, in that case two young teens.

The Evansdale case was also on a Monday, but it was a warm, Summer day. Then those girls were killed and left 20 miles away at Seven Bridges Park in Bremer Cty. Due to severe decomposition there's virtually no evidence, I would imagine. The coroner and LE might have an idea of what the girls died from, but there's a strong possibility they don't.

The biggest similarity is the deaths of two girls. Which makes me think BG might not be involved in the Iowa case, but he pays very close attention to the news in general, and true crime in particular. Maybe he's a copycat of sorts, or a one-upper.

The Iowa case is a tough one, those poor girls were not found for 5 months. A&L were found within one day of their deaths. In the latter case there's an aura of sensationalism due to the location, the SC images, the video and audio, and other factors. In the former, no sketches, not much in the way of eyewitness accounts, etc.

The aftermaths of both sets of crimes were vastly different, which to me indicates different killers.

JMO

-FD

I think there are enough similarities between both cases to suggest there could possibly be a connection between the Delphi murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German and the Evansdale, Iowa murders of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook.

I think the two facts that make it less likely they are connected are time and distance. The Delphi case happened on February 13, 2017. The Evansdale, Iowa case happened on July 13, 2012. Then there is the distance between the two murders too.

Since I believe the killer in both cases is a poacher, the distance makes sense. And if he is an older individual it makes sense for there to be such a large time gap. I think he has learned a bit of patience over time, and this makes me think he is an older man who is probably a truck driver.
I understand that in the Delphi, IN case the girls were killed in roughly the same area where they were abducted while in Evansdale, IA the girls were transported away from the Meyers Lake area and their bodies found at Seven Bridges Wildlife area. But if you look at a map of the Meyers Lake area, it seems like there are enough witnesses around for a killer to worry about being seen. In Delphi, IN he marched them off the path to the area furthest away from the bridge until it looks he could go no further with them. At that point, they crossed the creek and their bodies were found on the other side. Either way, in both cases, it appears the killer was worried about being seen committing a crime.

Profiles are only as good as the information available and how that information is interpreted. In my opinion, in both these cases you have someone who seems to have a sense of the understanding concerning local areas. I can understand why so many people think each case was committed by someone local to the area.

But just assume(for a second) that the person(s) who committed the Evansdale, IA crime followed it and realized after a period of time that law enforcement are looking for a "local". Wouldn't they use that knowledge to choose their next crime scene and body dump location? Better to leave a body in a local wildlife area than say off an interstate highway exit, even one with a park next to it?

If you are going simply by statistics and what is most likely, then the answer would probably be that these cases are not connected. But, in my opinion, I think it is dismissive to suggest that it has to be a local because of the geography of where the victims were found.

I find it interesting that you feel the killer is a poacher. What made you come to that conclusion?

I believe the killer is local, but my belief isn’t just based on the girls’ bodies being found st 7 Bridges. Both LE and the FBI have stated that the killer is most likely local and familiar with both Meyers Lake and 7 Bridges. It’s further my belief that the killer was known to one or both of the girls. I can’t state a specific reason for this, it’s simply how I interpret various info.

I find it interesting that you feel the killer is a poacher. What made you come to that conclusion?

I believe the killer is local, but my belief isn’t just based on the girls’ bodies being found st 7 Bridges. Both LE and the FBI have stated that the killer is most likely local and familiar with both Meyers Lake and 7 Bridges. It’s further my belief that the killer was known to one or both of the girls. I can’t state a specific reason for this, it’s simply how I interpret various info.

Interesting you mention this, but it might jive with why they complied. Could have been "Hey, I'll take you guys home.".

JMO

-FD

Interesting you mention this, but it might jive with why they complied. Could have been "Hey, I'll take you guys home.".

JMO

-FD

Heather Collins was being treated for a heart problem, and had a doctor’s appointment on the day the girls were abducted. I think it’s possible the killer told the girls that something had happened to Heather and offered to take the girls to her. That’s why I think the killer was known to at least one of the girls (IMO, Elizabeth knew him and told Lyric it was okay to go with him.) The killer probably told the girls they’d come back later for the bikes. I think he/she came back and left the purse and cell phone near the bikes before the search for the girls began at Meyers Lake. I think there was little time between the abduction and the murders and, as I’ve mentioned before, I think the killer was back in time to participate in the search for the girls that afternoon.

All speculation, of course, but this is a theory that I feel explains a lot.

One thing that I believe that most people don’t - I do not think sexual abuse was the motive for the abduction and murders of the girls. Obviously JMO.

Heather Collins was being treated for a heart problem, and had a doctor’s appointment on the day the girls were abducted. I think it’s possible the killer told the girls that something had happened to Heather and offered to take the girls to her. That’s why I think the killer was known to at least one of the girls (IMO, Elizabeth knew him and told Lyric it was okay to go with him.) The killer probably told the girls they’d come back later for the bikes. I think he/she came back and left the purse and cell phone near the bikes before the search for the girls began at Meyers Lake. I think there was little time between the abduction and the murders and, as I’ve mentioned before, I think the killer was back in time to participate in the search for the girls that afternoon.

All speculation, of course, but this is a theory that I feel explains a lot.

One thing that I believe that most people don’t - I do not think sexual abuse was the motive for the abduction and murders of the girls. Obviously JMO.

Interesting, and it brings my to mind what could have been a motive, considering the illicit drug stuff and what have you.

JMO

-FD

It is my opinion. But there are a few reasons behind it.

1. Both cases happened on a weekday during the day. Both cases involved kidnapping 2 girls. What are the chances this rare kidnapper kidnaps 2 kids during the day and in both of the cases the killer does not have a job to go to during the day? Factor in distance and I think this person commits these crimes as a part of their job. So truck driver makes sense to me.

2. Both cases seem to have a trucking area near them. Meyers Lake park is located off an interstate highway exit. Is there any place to park a semi nearby? Delphi has a pork plant called Indiana Packers almost directly south of the Monon High Bridge. While it would be a walk, would it be doable to commit the crime and then walk south back to the Indiana Packers plant? Supposedly there was construction going on at the time so that might have made it easier to leave and re-enter the truck parking area without being seen.

3. The tip I sent in was of a truck driver based on what I observed from the video on Liberty German's phone. I could only send a description of him, but I do not know his name or any other identifying information. I sent the tip in a few times over the last 3 years.

I know there is one big problem with my truck driver theory. That problem is that a semi truck would stick out like a sore thumb at any of the locations associated with these cases. In fact, Seven Bridges Wildlife Area where the bodies of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook were found is said to be on a one way in and out road. That would not be very easy for a semi truck to navigate.

So if it was a truck driver, where was his truck, and how did he return to it after he committed these crimes?

The Evansdale case was also on a Monday, but it was a warm, Summer day.

FYI - July 13th, 2012 was actually a Friday afternoon, not a Monday. Not trying to nit-pick, but a Friday afternoon on a sunny July day leads to a much broader scope of people who could be "off" work (assuming they have a job) - as Friday afternoons are a very common day for people to take off in the summer. It's easy to be "heading out of town" for vacation the following week, etc.

This leads to the adage that IF this person was supposedly going on vacation or out of town the following week, it would make sense they wouldn't be in the area immediately following the abduction. Even someone who would have been expected to help in the searches could easily have an explanation as to why they weren't there. They could have left late Friday night or early Saturday morning for a week and would have a plausible explanation for their absence.

If they are a local it would be expected to ask lots of questions upon their return home or even while they were on vacation - simply being brought up to speed with what had happened while they were away. This person would then have the ability to play dumb during this time because "oh, we weren't even home". IF by chance this person is younger and they went with their parents on a family vacation, they wouldn't likely make a connection either unless there was a vast difference in their behavior during that week.

Friday afternoon opens up a whole realm of possibilities of perps. Lots of people work 4 10hr days too on a regular shift and it would make perfect sense for them to have that day off. There was even quite a bit of buzz about a Friday the 13th connection. I don't think there is a Friday the 13th connection, but I do think that it happening on a Friday afternoon in the summer leaves a lot more reasonable alibis for someone not being at work that day.

The Evansdale case was also on a Monday, but it was a warm, Summer day.

FYI - July 13th, 2012 was actually a Friday afternoon, not a Monday. Not trying to nit-pick, but a Friday afternoon on a sunny July day leads to a much broader scope of people who could be "off" work (assuming they have a job) - as Friday afternoons are a very common day for people to take off in the summer. It's easy to be "heading out of town" for vacation the following week, etc.

This leads to the adage that IF this person was supposedly going on vacation or out of town the following week, it would make sense they wouldn't be in the area immediately following the abduction. Even someone who would have been expected to help in the searches could easily have an explanation as to why they weren't there. They could have left late Friday night or early Saturday morning for a week and would have a plausible explanation for their absence.

If they are a local it would be expected to ask lots of questions upon their return home or even while they were on vacation - simply being brought up to speed with what had happened while they were away. This person would then have the ability to play dumb during this time because "oh, we weren't even home". IF by chance this person is younger and they went with their parents on a family vacation, they wouldn't likely make a connection either unless there was a vast difference in their behavior during that week.

Friday afternoon opens up a whole realm of possibilities of perps. Lots of people work 4 10hr days too on a regular shift and it would make perfect sense for them to have that day off. There was even quite a bit of buzz about a Friday the 13th connection. I don't think there is a Friday the 13th connection, but I do think that it happening on a Friday afternoon in the summer leaves a lot more reasonable alibis for someone not being at work that day.

I can offer a little more perspective about trucking pickups and deliveries. The majority of the loads that go to distribution centers tend to leave, be picked up, on Thursday or Friday at the end of the week. This is so that the truck arrives during the weekend for the beginning of the next week, Monday, when new product is put out on store shelves. This is what I was told. Trucks do pick up and deliver every single day though. I am just pointing out that the majority of what gets picked up is towards the end of the week.

So going off that idea, since once a truck driver picks up a load, he is on a schedule, one could theorize if the killer was a truck driver that he probably was either done with work for the week in Evansdale, Iowa or had just delivered, and therefore lives closer to that area since he would head home or be at home.

And this is only if the Evansdale, Iowa and Delphi, Indiana cases are connected, and if they were committed by a truck driver. I am only stating my opinion. I agree there is not enough information at this time to come to any conclusion.

Other differences and some thoughts I've had...

In the Iowa case, after LE got their third tip on a vehicle description, they released the info. Going off of memory, they said it's a large, white, older SUV, and it was seen on the trail near where the bicycles were found. So whoever abducted them drove their vehicle down that trail, and around a bend in it. This indicates to me the possibility of two perps.

In the Delphi case, no vehicle used in the abduction phase of the crimes, but LE now say they're looking for information about a vehicle parked at the the CPS building. Two years since the crimes, but no vehicle description. I've known about the "vehicle by the CPS building" eyewitness reports since early on, but LE have yet to release any description of said vehicle.

Early on I thought maybe BG moved his vehicle from the CPS building area on the county road, to the cemetery. I no longer think the cemetery has much to do with BG's escape from there, it sounds like he ended up back on the main trail, and walked to where the vehicle was parked by the CPS building.

I've thought that BG might know about the bridge and the area around it due to being there weeks, months, even years prior. It's a secluded area, I've driven around where it's located. You have to know it's there, and that there's a bridge a 1/4 mile back in the woods. I think BG did some recon and dry runs prior to 2.13.17, we had two mild winters back to back, so normally when it would have been 10F outside it was north of 40F. He could have been there the previous weekend poking around, getting closer to when he wanted to strike. I think BG chose the time of year he wanted to strike there at Deer Creek.

Going off of part of my theory about BG, it took more personal effort in the Delphi case vs. the Evansdale Iowa case. Plus BG was dealing with girls a little older than Lyric and Elizabeth. That and the circumstances are way different. In Evansdale, an urban trail was used in some way, and a vehicle. In Delphi, BG hung out for a considerable time until someone fell into his trap, in that case two young teens.

The Evansdale case was also on a Monday, but it was a warm, Summer day. Then those girls were killed and left 20 miles away at Seven Bridges Park in Bremer Cty. Due to severe decomposition there's virtually no evidence, I would imagine. The coroner and LE might have an idea of what the girls died from, but there's a strong possibility they don't.

The biggest similarity is the deaths of two girls. Which makes me think BG might not be involved in the Iowa case, but he pays very close attention to the news in general, and true crime in particular. Maybe he's a copycat of sorts, or a one-upper.

The Iowa case is a tough one, those poor girls were not found for 5 months. A&L were found within one day of their deaths. In the latter case there's an aura of sensationalism due to the location, the SC images, the video and audio, and other factors. In the former, no sketches, not much in the way of eyewitness accounts, etc.

The aftermaths of both sets of crimes were vastly different, which to me indicates different killers.

JMO

-FD

I remember when the Delphi murders first occurred and people were looking to see if there may be a link to the Evansdale murders. There was a lot of great input on the Delphi thread (I hadn't been following the Evansdale thread at that point) from sleuthers who looked at similarities and differences.

The "date" issue always struck me as odd - 7-13-12 & 2-13-17. With there being similarities and differences - not to mention the distance between Evansdale and Delph - it makes me think you may be correct in thinking that the Delphi killer followed the Evansdale case and "copied" it to a degree. The Delphi killer may have picked the date to "send a message" or in some way honor or pay tribute to the Evansdale killer - just like some school shooters pick dates that have relevance to Columbine.

One of the other things that always nagged at me was that both towns have pig slaughterhouses in close proximity and it always made me wonder if the killer could be someone that worked in Evansdale and then transferred to Delphi or that may have traveled between to the two areas for business related to the slaughterhouses.

I apologize for my last post. I started to reply to a post, then realized I had the wrong post but I guess I didn't exit out all the way before replying.

Anyway...I was trying to comment on the person that wondered if the Delphi and Evansdale killings are not related, could the Delphi killer have been following and/or copying the Evansdale killings.

This was my post:

I remember when the Delphi murders first occurred and people were looking to see if there may be a link to the Evansdale murders. There was a lot of great input on the Delphi thread (I hadn't been following the Evansdale thread at that point) from sleuthers who looked at similarities and differences.

The "date" issue always struck me as odd - 7-13-12 & 2-13-17. With there being similarities and differences - not to mention the distance between Evansdale and Delph - it makes me think you may be correct in thinking that the Delphi killer followed the Evansdale case and "copied" it to a degree. The Delphi killer may have picked the date to "send a message" or in some way honor or pay tribute to the Evansdale killer - just like some school shooters pick dates that have relevance to Columbine.

One of the other things that always nagged at me was that both towns have pig slaughterhouses in close proximity and it always made me wonder if the killer could be someone that worked in Evansdale and then transferred to Delphi or that may have traveled between to the two areas for business related to the slaughterhouses.

I just want to thank everyone who has posted such detailed and thoughtful messages to come up with possible scenarios of the what/who/why these two sweet young girls were taken and killed.
I pray that someday soon, the killer is brought to justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPParadise