IA IA - Erin Pospisil, 15, Cedar Rapids, 3 June 2001

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
very sad :( JMO but I don't think EP is alive, just from what I've read I don't feel like she was a girl who would leave out-of-the-blue and never contact her family again.
Was looking for girls matching her description on NamUs - opened it up to Caucasian/Hispanic/Asian because imo EP looks ethnically ambiguous. Honestly none of these UID's jump out to me as Erin, mostly due to them being far away from Iowa :(

NamUs #UP2484 - white/hispanic female found in a desert grave. don't think this is likely as it was far away from iowa and UID was few inches shorter. UID has distinct nail art - anyone know if EP wore nails like this?
NamUs #UP13225 - white/hispanic female found in open desert. same height as UID. Found 'reddish brown' hair nearby, BUT also far away from iowa.
NamUs #UP1051 - white female found in the woods. PMI would require EP to have died little while after she disappeared. Found long dark hair in UID's hand (no head :eek:). Had spina bifida but that can be undiagnosed.
NamUs #UP55863 - legs of a young white female found in a dumpster. Loosely estimated height fits with EP.
NamUs #UP6567 - young hispanic adult found in remote desert, buried under rocks and may have been burned. NamUs suggests this was done by migrants but I'm guessing that's just due to her race/location. Same height, dark brown hair w reddish hue.
NamUs #UP1983 - young hispanic female found murdered in a burned building. Weight is a little less than EP's reported weight. One of the only people i could find with a facial reconstruction, and i do actually think it looks like EP! only thing is UID has ears pierced, but i don't think EP's ears are pierced in her pictures...
Original

NamUs #UP12167 - white female found by some woods/train tracks. Would require EP to be alive for a few years post disappearance, and facial reconstruction doesn't look like her. Added her because heights were the same, and this was the closest UID to cedar rapids (about 4 hour drive - but I guess if this was years later it wouldn't have mattered).
Original

Erin Kay Pospisil
  • erin_kay_pospisil_1.jpg
  • erin_kay_pospisil_2.jpg
  • erin_kay_pospisil_3.jpg
  • erin_kay_pospisil_4.jpg
top three photos, Erin, circa 2001; bottom photo, Age-progression to age 29 (circa 2015)

• Missing Since 06/03/2001
  • Missing From Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 04/14/1986 (33)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2 - 5'3, 125 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A light-colored tank top and beige overall shorts.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Dark brown hair, dark brown eyes. Erin has a small scar above her eye and had red highlights in her hair at the time of her disappearance.
Details of Disappearance
Erin was last seen at a friend's home in the 100 black of 12th Street southeast on late Sunday, June 3, 2001. She had gone to the friend's at 8:45 p.m. to accompany her to the movie theater but the friend wasn't home.

A two-door dark-colored Chevrolet Impala or Chevrolet Cavalier, early 1990s model, with dark tinted rear windows, pulled up the curb of Erin's friend's house. It was driving the wrong way on a one-way street.

Erin spoke to the occupants for a short time, then got into the backseat of the car, saying she would get a ride with them. She has never been heard from again. The Chevrolet was unfamiliar to Erin's friends and family, but an acquaintance who witnessed her getting into it said she seemed to know the people inside.

Police classified her case as a runaway, but Erin's family believes she may have been taken against her will and may be in danger. She didn't take her day-timer, makeup case, or any other personal belongings with her, and none of her friends have heard from her since she disappeared, which is very uncharacteristic of her.

The investigation into Erin's disappearance leans towards the theory that gang members in Cedar Rapids and an area of Chicago, Illinois called "ghost town" may have involved in her case.

She may have been seen in the spring of 2002 at a convenience store in Cedar Rapids, sitting in the backseat of a car with Illinois license plates. The witness knew Erin well and was sure the girl in the vehicle was her. Police, when called, were unable to locate her or the vehicle, however.

Erin has relatives in Nevada but none of them have heard from her. She lived with her father, stepmother and three siblings when she disappeared, and was a freshman at Metro High School. Her school attendance was spotty. Erin's case remains unsolved. Many agencies still classify her as a runaway.

Investigating Agency
  • Cedar Rapids Police Department
  • 319-286-5400
  • 319-286-5491
Source Information

Erin Kay Pospisil
  • erin_kay_pospisil_1.jpg
  • erin_kay_pospisil_2.jpg
  • erin_kay_pospisil_3.jpg
  • erin_kay_pospisil_4.jpg
top three photos, Erin, circa 2001; bottom photo, Age-progression to age 29 (circa 2015)

• Missing Since 06/03/2001
  • Missing From Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 04/14/1986 (33)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2 - 5'3, 125 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A light-colored tank top and beige overall shorts.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Dark brown hair, dark brown eyes. Erin has a small scar above her eye and had red highlights in her hair at the time of her disappearance.
Details of Disappearance
Erin was last seen at a friend's home in the 100 black of 12th Street southeast on late Sunday, June 3, 2001. She had gone to the friend's at 8:45 p.m. to accompany her to the movie theater but the friend wasn't home.

A two-door dark-colored Chevrolet Impala or Chevrolet Cavalier, early 1990s model, with dark tinted rear windows, pulled up the curb of Erin's friend's house. It was driving the wrong way on a one-way street.

Erin spoke to the occupants for a short time, then got into the backseat of the car, saying she would get a ride with them. She has never been heard from again. The Chevrolet was unfamiliar to Erin's friends and family, but an acquaintance who witnessed her getting into it said she seemed to know the people inside.

Police classified her case as a runaway, but Erin's family believes she may have been taken against her will and may be in danger. She didn't take her day-timer, makeup case, or any other personal belongings with her, and none of her friends have heard from her since she disappeared, which is very uncharacteristic of her.

The investigation into Erin's disappearance leans towards the theory that gang members in Cedar Rapids and an area of Chicago, Illinois called "ghost town" may have involved in her case.

She may have been seen in the spring of 2002 at a convenience store in Cedar Rapids, sitting in the backseat of a car with Illinois license plates. The witness knew Erin well and was sure the girl in the vehicle was her. Police, when called, were unable to locate her or the vehicle, however.

Erin has relatives in Nevada but none of them have heard from her. She lived with her father, stepmother and three siblings when she disappeared, and was a freshman at Metro High School. Her school attendance was spotty. Erin's case remains unsolved. Many agencies still classify her as a runaway.

Investigating Agency
  • Cedar Rapids Police Department
  • 319-286-5400
  • 319-286-5491
Source Information

Given the fact that Curtis Padgett ( Erin's brother's friend) was the last one who saw Erin alive when he took her with his car makes him a very prime suspect,he was the one who told the story about Erin got into another car, I think he lied and he was responsible to Erin disappearance, I suppose there are no enough evidence for arrest.
I think the motive was that he tried to make advanced towards her,Erin refused and he killed her.I hope justice will come one day.

Anyone else think this sounds a little funny? If Erin really planned to go to the movies with her friend, why wouldn't she have called ahead rather than just show up and have her not be home? Maybe going to the movies was just a cover for something else.

Anyone else think this sounds a little funny? If Erin really planned to go to the movies with her friend, why wouldn't she have called ahead rather than just show up and have her not be home? Maybe going to the movies was just a cover for something else.

Yes, things do not sound right with this whole scenario. What 15 year old goes out at 8:45 on a Sunday night during the school year? Supposedly to go to a movie that would start later than that?

Who goes out that late on a Sunday to go to the movies? What parent would even buy such a story? A movie starting that late would mean that the child wasn't planning to be home before midnight and nothing good ever happens after midnight.

Im sure it said at the start of the thread that she was going to the friends for a sleepover

There seems to be some discrepancy between different accounts. It would seem that Erin was not enroute to a theater, but rather intending to watch movies at her friend's home that evening.

Most accounts, however, do agree that she accepted a ride from unknown persons and has been missing since.

• Erin Kay Pospisil, 15, missing since 3 June 2001

Did you ever find out if there was any relation?

I never did find/figure that out, @KateMcc, though I tried to, just before posting that info. here on WS.

What updates/new ideas does everyone reading here have, as to how to help move this case forward? (Just seeing someone with the same last name as Erin's -- and living in the same general vicinity -- caused me to take a second look at the article I posted earlier...)

I just discovered this case on Charley Project tonight and read through this thread. It leaves me with a TON of questions...

CAR QUESTIONS

There is a HUGE difference between the two Chevy models listed here. Cavaliers are small compact cars. Impalas are large cars. Also, if it is an "early 90s" model, the earliest it could be is a 1994 if it were an Impala, when it was brought back after an 11 year hiatus as a top of the line model for the Caprice.

The Cavalier and Impala/Caprice have never looked anything alike in any generation. Also, if it were a Cavalier, it had several corporate siblings that looked nearly identical, including the Pontiac Sunbird, Buick Skyhawk, Olds Firenza, and Cadillac Cimmaron. I think the Olds or Cadillac version would have stood out more due to styling and Cadillac name recognition, but the Sunbird was very similar looking in particular.

From my own experience in being a car guy, I'd say a Caprice or Impala would be more likely to have tinted windows, but that treatment did happen to Cavaliers now and then.

Also, there is no good color description other than "dark". I've heard "black" and "purple" in this thread. I know Cavaliers came in purple but don't recall Impalas in that shade (but could check).

This makes me think the witness is making things up. Maybe he wasn't a car guy, but still...he could have at least described the size of the Chevy.

THOUGHTS

I get a feeling she's living a completely different life now if she was still alive about a year later. She's probably the victim of trafficking. I'd say it's 50/50 if she's alive.

I went to school with Erin and her two older bothers; Jim was two years older than me, Eric was in my grade, she was a year younger. There was obvious parental neglect in the house - they always came to school in dirty, tattered clothes, rarely took showers (their lack of personal hygiene was so distracting, admin used to carve out time once in a while in between classes to allow them to shower in the locker room due to the numerous complaints from other students), and they were constantly in trouble, both with the school and the police. By the time we got to high school, they each lasted one or two trimesters freshman year before getting kicked out and sent to the alternative high school.
Erin's behavior was erratic for years. She hung out with equally erratic people and constantly picked fights. She was very much considered a high-risk teen. I'm not here to bash, I'm simply painting a picture.

That being said, Curtis was a questionable character. I didn't know him well, but he didn't exactly have the reputation of being a Boy Scout. Shortly after she went missing, it was rumored she originally got in the car with him to ride around and smoke w**d, not to go to a friend's house. Hence why she didn't pack a bag or take any personal belongings with her in anticipation of a movie night with a friend.

I'm almost 100% certain he had everything to do with her disappearance. He was arrested less than a year later in 2002 for burglarizing a Tobacco Outlet in the middle of the night, was a person of *great* interest in the 2007 murder of his neighbor, and arrested again in 2011 with possession of meth with intent to distribute.

The CRPD was quick to write this off as a runaway case - keep in mind, this is a smaller Midwest city and they weren't about to expend time or additional resources on a rebellious kid with a bad reputation (I'm speculating how LE viewed and prioritized her). There was never any forensic testing done in his vehicle, no search party, and at the time, her case barely made the local news.

I would be shocked if she was still alive.

20 years since Cedar Rapids teen Erin Pospisil reported missing

Thursday, June 3 marks 20 years since Erin Pospisil was reported missing from Cedar Rapids.

She has not been seen or heard from since that day. She was just 15-years-old at the time.

Police say Erin was last seen with a small scar above her left eye and driving an early 90's model, black Chevy Cavalier.

Iowa's News Now Anchor Cymphanie Sherman recently reported on Erin's case in an Iowa's Unsolved update where she spoke with Erin's father and stepmother.

Nearly two decades later, family still working to solve daughter's disappearance

Erin Kay Pospisil went missing June 3, 2001.

She was just 15-years-old.

April 14, 2021 would have marked her 35th birthday, but instead of celebrating, her family is left wondering who she would have become.

.......SBM

That day in June, Erin asked her parents if she could go stay the night at a friend’s.

Her neighbor, Curtis Padgett, gave her a ride.

He said when they got to the friend’s house, no one was home and that’s when Erin got into another car and told him they were giving her a ride.

To the Pospisil's knowledge, that's the last time anyone ever saw their sweet girl.

......SBM

One way, a website, documenting everything since she went missing and a yearly benefit reminding everyone who Erin was and also bringing to light a National Database for Missing and Exploited Children exists for a reason.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairinAmaliah
Back