Found Deceased IA - Ethan Kazmerzak, 22, Hampton, 15 Sept 2013 *vehicle found*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would like to know the condition of the body and if they can tell if it's been submerged for 7 years.

It might depend on the size and depth of the water? I would think a car would have been detected if they searched it 2 times before.

As per my old messages on this board, I'd been convinced all along that Ethan's remains and vehicle were in one of those ponds near Olive and 190th. In fact, I chatted with Hampton Police Chief Schaefer about this belief last month, on September 14, and on September 15 I emailed him this image (marked up in red as shown), which I thought could potentially be Ethan's vehicle appearing close to shore in the most recent aerial image appearing in google's mapping service. I confirmed with a gal in the office that Chief Schaefer had received my email and image and I tried to follow up by phone with Chief Schaefer for his thoughts on that, to no avail. My calls were not returned. I now wonder if my tip led to the discovery of Ethan's vehicle?!

Part of my interest in this case stemmed from the fact that in college I had known of April Hemmes, who I understand is Ethan's mother.

Here is the text of my email of September 15, 2020 to Chief Schaefer:

cleardot.gif
Tue, Sep 15, 5:58 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to hamptonpd
cleardot.gif

To the attention of Chief Schaefer
Chief Schaefer - We spoke yesterday regarding missing Ethan Kazmerzak. I today visited the area of the ponds where I think it likely the young man's car and remains are submerged. Attached is an aerial image from google. Have sent it because there is something of interest, as I have highlighted in the image. I believe this is recent imagery from google, replacing older imagery. Note that the home next to the pond shows in this newer image, suggesting that the image is pretty recent, likely made at some point after Ethan went missing. At the site today, I noticed that in the area of the anomaly in the image at present are piles of concrete riprap along the edge of the pond which must have been dumped after image was made since the riprap does not appear in image. So I do not think the anomaly in the image is a piece of concrete riprap. I suppose there is an outside chance the anomaly in the image is Ethan's car. Seems about the right size. Do you have any idea what the anomaly is? If you've any interest in meeting at the pond to have a look, let me know. Should be easy to locate the spot of the anomaly, using the house as a reference point.

Thanks.

Attachments

• KazmerzakVW.png
    KazmerzakVW.png
    676.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
As per my old messages on this board, I'd been convinced all along that Ethan's remains and vehicle were in one of those ponds near Olive and 190th. In fact, I chatted with Hampton Police Chief Schaefer about this belief last month, on September 14, and on September 15 I emailed him this image (marked up in red as shown), which I thought could potentially be Ethan's vehicle appearing close to shore in the most recent aerial image appearing in google's mapping service. I confirmed with a gal in the office that Chief Schaefer had received my email and image and I tried to follow up by phone with Chief Schaefer for his thoughts on that, to no avail. My calls were not returned. I now wonder if my tip led to the discovery of Ethan's vehicle?!

Part of my interest in this case stemmed from the fact that in college I had known of April Hemmes, who I understand is Ethan's mother.

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to hamptonpd
cleardot.gif

Chief Schaefer - We spoke yesterday regarding missing Ethan Kazmerzak. I today visited the area of the ponds where I think it likely the young man's car and remains are submerged. Attached is an aerial image from google. Have sent it because there is something of interest, as I have highlighted in the image. I believe this is recent imagery from google, replacing older imagery. Note that the home next to the pond shows in this newer image, suggesting that the image is pretty recent, likely made at some point after Ethan went missing. At the site today, I noticed that in the area of the anomaly in the image at present are piles of concrete riprap along the edge of the pond which must have been dumped after image was made since the riprap does not appear in image. So I do not think the anomaly in the image is a piece of concrete riprap. I suppose there is an outside chance the anomaly in the image is Ethan's car. Seems about the right size. Do you have any idea what the anomaly is? If you've any interest in meeting at the pond to have a look, let me know. Should be easy to locate the spot of the anomaly, using the house as a reference point.

Thanks.

That's awesome. Way to go!!!!

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to hamptonpd
cleardot.gif

Thanks.

Curious, if your tip led to Ethan’s discovery, will you get any reward money?

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to hamptonpd
cleardot.gif

Thanks.
Nicely done itsrak, thanks!

Glad this one is solved. Was frustrated believing the car was in one of those ponds, yet the years rolled by with no resolution, till now.

Has there been confirmation on the body of water where EK was found? All I've seen so far is northwest of Hampton. TIA

d61a4aac-fa9e-4974-8e08-c05a8368baf5-Ethan_Kazmerzak.png

Submerged car belonging to missing Iowa man Ethan Kazmerzak discovered, human remains found inside
''Ethan Kazmerzak was last seen at various local bars on Sept. 15, 2013. Investigators have followed up on numerous leads since his disappearance and came up empty-handed in every instance.

His silver 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI was found by a dive team in a body of water northwest of Hampton, according to a news release from Franklin County Sheriff Aaron Dodd.

Human remains were found inside the vehicle; however, identification of the body has not been confirmed, according to the Franklin County Sheriff's Office. The body is being sent to the state medical examiner's office to confirm identification and cause of death.''

Sheriff confirms remains found in missing Hampton man's vehicle
''Jared Leisek, a scuba diver and YouTuber, posted the update on his YouTube channel “Adventures With Purpose” on Tuesday afternoon.
“It will not be until after a coroner’s report that we can confirm the remains found are Ethan’s,” he wrote.
Leisek said in an interview with the Globe Gazette that the vehicle was located around 90 feet from the edge of a pond near Olive Avenue in rural Hampton. The top of the vehicle was only approximately eight feet below the surface of the water.''

Has there been confirmation on the body of water where EK was found? All I've seen so far is northwest of Hampton. TIA
See my post above of Aug 24, 2018 - I believe the car/remains were very likely discovered in one of the gravel pits shown in that aerial image. Chief Schaefer told me those pits (gravel pits are very common in that part of the country, and sometimes they are pretty deep) had been searched with sonar. I gather now that they were researched, resulting in the discovery of the car/remains. Which of the 11 or so ponds was it? Would be interested to know.

I gather that the window of the vehicle was apparently smashed. I wonder if this young man may have been screwing around, driving around the ponds, and perhaps struck a deer - that can definitely smash a windshield and could incapacitate a driver and force loss of control of vehicle. And deer are all over the place in Iowa, especially in the fall during the rut. It is not unusual at all to hit a deer. There have even been cases of the deer smashing through the windshield and killing the driver.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marni
Back