GUILTY IA - Gabriel McFarland, 4 mos, dies of head trauma, Des Moines, 22 April 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bio mom is 16. Father is 17, and a junior in a high school.
Baby ends up dead very quickly after bio mom decides she wants him back (after being financially supported through the pregnancy by a couple wanting to adopt the baby).
And adopting in US is a very scary proposition, considering the laws seem to favor bio parents, allowing them ample time to change their minds (even if they are immature teenagers).

I raised my baby cousin for 2.5 years. It was an unofficial family adoption.

(My Uncle was the birth father, he was 25 years older than the birth mother. She lived with me through the pregnancy, I was present at delivery, cut the cord, and even re-lactated and breastfed her for the first year.)

One day her birth mother showed up after not seeing her since she was a week old, and told me she changed her mind.

I was the only mother she had ever known, and I had no legal recourse. She walked out with my sweet baby girl screaming for me.

Honestly, I lost my mind. Had I not had 3 other children to care for, I might not have lived through it.

I still cry for my girl, who is almost 10 now.

She has spent the past 7 years with her emotionally unstable mother, moving from place to place......

It definitely changed my views on open adoptions.

This exact situation is why my husband and I were unwilling to even consider a domestic adoption, and why we adopted internationally. With international adoption, there is no chance the birth parent will come looking for the child and demand a do-over take back, and there is no chance for the birth parent to be a disruptive presence in their life as they grow up.

I have known 2 situations where the birth mother re-claimed the infant, as well as personally knowing several situations where a very disruptive birth mother created ongoing havoc and chaos in "open adoptions."

Personally, I don't believe that most of the American adoption laws have the best interests of the child in mind. They are crafted to give birth moms (who don't want to be parents, and typically have a ton of social problems) what they want on their terms-- ongoing access to the child, but relieving them of actually parenting the child. There is no regard for the child's mental and emotional well-being in open adoption policies, IMO. And "take back" laws beyond a few days are never in the best interest of the child, IMO. The birth mom needs to make a decision and stick with it, for the best interest of the child, IMO. Raise the child themselves, or make an adoption plan and stick with it.

I also strongly believe that "open adoptions" are almost never a good situation for the child's well being. I know they work for some people, but as a general policy from social workers, I think it's a disaster for the child. I believe the child should have a chance to grow up in a secure and non-chaotic situation, free from the imposed additional situation of the birth parent. Once they're 18, if the child wants to know the bio parent, and the bio parent wants to know them, then let them meet. The adopted child deserves those 18 years of their ONLY childhood to grow up and form an identity apart from the bio parent, IMO. I grew up with one of those chaotic birth parents periodically showing up and inducing emotional havoc, so the issue is near and dear to me.

I know there are isolated circumstances where open adoption seems to work, but I personally think kids should not be burdened with the "needs" of the birth parent to be in their lives while they are growing up. Open adoption is all about the wants and desires of the birth mom to have it "both ways"-- let someone else do the hard work of parenting, and show up as the "birth mom" when it's convenient. As a social policy, I think open adoption is pretty wrongheaded.

At our pre-adoption classes, we had to sit thru a panel discussion, and other episodes where bio moms in open adoption situation talked to us about their circumstances choosing the couple to adopt their baby. I could not believe that 2 of these bio- moms actually talked to us about circumventing adoption agency policies to create little "tests" for the parents who eventually adopted their child. If the prospective parents wouldn't play their little games, the bio mom crossed them off the list.

My husband and I know full well that there probably isn't a pregnant teenager on the planet who would consider us "cool" enough to adopt their baby, so we never seriously considered domestic infant open adoption.

My heart aches for this poor baby who was killed, and for the couple who loved him. That child was much better off with the loving couple, than with 2 immature young teenagers. Just because someone can breed, doesn't make them a good parent. That baby was not better off with his 16 year old mother. Yes, that's very opinionated, but that's how I feel.

In 1982, when I adopted my son open adoptions weren't very common, like they are now. I think many adoptive parents agree to open adoptions mainly because they are so desperate for a baby that they will do or say anything to get one and they are afraid if they rule it out they won't be considered.
Also different, at least in my son and his wife's case, the birth mother chooses who will adopt their baby. The adoptive parents put together a portfolio type information packet and the pregnant mom goes through them and picks out who looks good to them. I know in our case the birth mom was given information and approved of us for her son but she did not make the choice, the adoption agency did and she had the option to accept us or not. Maybe not that much difference but at least we didn't have to put together a book and have to try and sell ourselves as good parents.
My son and DIL do not want an open adoption, which I think is a good choice but I am afraid it may limit their desirability from the birth mother's prospective. But they do not want the birth parents looking over their shoulder giving input on their parenting. They don't want their child having confusion over who is the real parent. They are open to updates and pictures but no personal visits.
As an adult my son sought, and found, his bio family. It worked out very well and now he, and my grand daughter, have a huge family of parents, siblings, grand parents, cousins and all kinds of people. My grand daughter has her dad, his parents and grand parents, his bio mother and aunts and uncles, cousins, grand parents, her bio mother's family (sadly her bio mother has all but abandoned her to live with a boy she met on the internet. She hasn't seen her since she was 2 and now the bio mother is married with 2 more kids). And she has her step mother (her real mother to her) and her family. I told her how lucky she is to have so many people to love her.
I had the honor of finally meeting the woman who gave me the greatest gift a person can ever have, the gift of allowing me to raise the child she gave birth to. I gave her the biggest hug and cried as I thanked her for the privilege of raising this wonderful person. My favorite moment was when my son was married and they wanted a picture of him and his mother. As I walked towards him he motioned for his birth mom to join us. She held back saying she didn't want to interfere. Nonsense we told her. She was his mother, too. I love the picture of my son standing in the middle of the two women he calls mom.

A little "secret" in most adoption agencies and adoption attorneys offices is that almost no prospective adoptive parents are picked out of those thick “wish books” by pregnant bio moms. The majority of pregnant bio moms choose prospective adoptive parents thru word of mouth, friends of friends, etc., who are then instructed to make application to the agency for “directed” adoption. For most couples seeking domestic infant adoption, going thru the process of putting together the glossy “here is who we are, and we will be great parents” pictures for the book (and online books now), is simply an excruciating exercise in futility and heartache. They are very, very unlikely to get a baby, and almost no one wants to tell them that bluntly.

In the case of this baby who was murdered, the adoptive couple is gay. Many agencies will not work with gay or lesbian couples, and so gay couples have even fewer practical options to adopt than hetero couples. Dairy girl is correct that many prospective adoptive couples are rather desperate to be parents, and so will agree to almost any manipulative or invasive thing asked of them. News reports say that this couple supported the bio mom financially and emotionally thru her pregnancy, so this couple was very invested in creating a good transition for the child. Sadly, look how it ended.

The other “myth” is that “many” of the bio moms making an adoption plan and evaluating prospective parents from the “wish book”, are just wayward teenagers who made a mistake and got pregnant, cheerleaders with a B+ average, soon to go off to college. That is far from the truth in most circumstances.

A little OT, but I’ll share a story. One of my co-workers did an open adoption a little over 5 years ago, and brought the infant home from the hospital right after birth. The birth mom was a dysfunctional and disruptive presence at their home right from the beginning, often showing up unannounced a few times a month, wanting to see and hold the baby. Bio mom even showed up at the child’s daycare once. Bio mom was arrested and did a few months in jail when the child was around 2 ½. That was a period of relative calm and peacefulness for the child and family, but then she got out of jail and it started all over again. Finally, when the child was 4, my co-worker actually had to call police twice when the bio mom would show up (intoxicated, and probably on drugs). My co-worker was pursuing a restraining order, when the bio mom was (thankfully) arrested again, and charged with several crimes. The bio mom is now in jail, facing a long incarceration, and my co-worker is finally able to relax, knowing this woman won’t be showing up unannounced, and upsetting the child. However, now the relatives of the jailed bio mom are contacting my co-worker to try to “force” her to bring the now-5 yo child to the jail for visitation. GMAFB. The child is doing well, and is tremendously loved and cherished by her adoptive family, but the chaos of this situation will be a part of her childhood memories forever. It seems tremendously unfair that she should have to deal with this at such a young age. I really wonder if this child will ever have the option to be free of the presence and influence of the bio mom and her relatives.

Yes, I know now, But not when the article came out. I am talking about when writing articles. They should be more responsible. It is not about facts anymore but headlines.

What was not responsible about the headline? The headline simply said that the child who was taken back by birth mother is now dead. All of it is true.

What was not responsible about the headline? The headline simply said that the child who was taken back by birth mother is now dead. All of it is true.

Because it implies it was at her hand.

I am mad that the baby is dead too. But I am mad at the person who killed the child. The mother is not at fault and to blame her for his crime or say she is responsible because the father did this is not right.

Because it implies it was at her hand.

I am mad that the baby is dead too. But I am mad at the person who killed the child. The mother is not at fault and to blame her for his crime or say she is responsible because the father did this is not right.

No, it doesn't imply it.

Sounds to me like this innocent baby was loved by three moms and murdered by a young man, his own father.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sorry. Up until now I always thought that part of responsible parenting is to leave the child with a responsible person to watch that child.
Clearly I was wrong on that.

I am sorry. Up until now I always thought that part of responsible parenting is to leave the child with a responsible person to watch that child.
Clearly I was wrong on that.

He was the baby's father. How could she know what he would do. I think it is obvious if she felt at all worried about him she would have not left him alone. Especially because when the friend called she asked the friend to go right back so that he was no longer alone with the baby.

It seems to me she did everything right. There are just horrid people in this world that don't always reveal themselves until the opportunity arises.

No one can predict everyone's behavior.

He was the baby's father. How could she know what he would do. I think it is obvious if she felt at all worried about him she would have not left him alone. Especially because when the friend called she asked the friend to go right back so that he was no longer alone with the baby.

It seems to me she did everything right. There are just horrid people in this world that don't always reveal themselves until the opportunity arises.

No one can predict everyone's behavior.

Yes, he is the boy's father. He knocked up a 15 year old (boy's mother). So clearly he is a very responsible person.

Yes, he is the boy's father. He knocked up a 15 year old (boy's mother). So clearly he is a very responsible person.

Wow. Just wow. What if I told you I was pregnant and almost gave up my child and could not go through with it and she turned out to be an amazing now married well adjusted productive adult?

This was her child. She did nothing wrong. Be angry the baby died. Be angry that the guy was a monster. Be angry at the killer. Not the mother who did nothing wrong.

Why is the incomplete adoption and mother's change of heart attached to this story of a teen father who apparently killed his own child?

That is my objection to the headline. The two events are entirely unrelated as far as we know so why is that part of the sound bite attached to this sad case?

MSM really irritates me sometimes.

part of being a responsible parent is running errands and leaving your child with a trusted person, such as that child's father.

Unless this young man has some history of violent behavior and mom knew it why would the mother be irresponsible for leaving her child with it's own father??

Why is the incomplete adoption and mother's change of heart attached to this story of a teen father who apparently killed his own child?

That is my objection to the headline. The two events are entirely unrelated as far as we know so why is that part of the sound bite attached to this sad case?

That is a darn good question. What is showing is prejudice here. Not the facts of the case that a man murdered his child. Because that is what happened. Going along with the logic on this thread than every mother who had a child killed by their father should also be hung out to dry, right?? No..

I think that people are more prejudice about this mother and her age and that she went back and lawfully reclaimed her child. She did not cause this baby's death.

I think the issues are completely separate. I understand people being upset about the Adoption laws. I agree they need to be changed but this was lawful and there is nothing to say she was not a good and loving mother. JMO

Yes, yes, yes. This is exactly what I'm trying to say.

Deciding not to go through with adoption does not make you a bad parent. Having doubts about whether you can raise your child when you are still a teenager does not make you a bad parent. Leaving your child with a babysitter does not make you a bad parent. And none of these factors make you responsible for your child's death.

She's being unfairly lumped in with the murderer on this thread, and to me, that's victim blaming. Until there's some report that she knew that the birth father would do such a thing, or that he had hurt the baby before and she knew it, she doesn't deserve the hate she's getting, in my opinion.

part of being a responsible parent is running errands and leaving your child with a trusted person, such as that child's father.

Unless this young man has some history of violent behavior and mom knew it why would the mother be irresponsible for leaving her child with it's own father??

So the child's father is by definition responsible?
Even her friend who stopped by called her asking if she trusted the father with the baby.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth
Back