GUILTY IA - Gabriel McFarland, 4 mos, dies of head trauma, Des Moines, 22 April 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So the child's father is by definition responsible?
Even her friend who stopped by called her asking if she trusted the father with the baby.

YES! The father is the one who alone killed the child. That is where it starts and ends. The friend probably surprised the father who thought he was going to be alone. Lay the blame where it belongs.

Friend surprised the father? What is the relevance of this, exactly?

Friend surprised the father? What is the relevance of this, exactly?

Sigh* Because he was alone with the child and no one was watching.

It occurred when he was all alone with the child. The child was abused and beaten when he was all alone with child. It just does not get more obvious than this.

So the child's father is by definition responsible?
Even her friend who stopped by called her asking if she trusted the father with the baby.

I am not saying the father was responsible (ie. appropriate caretaker of the child acted in a responsible manner). Clearly he did not act responsibly rather he acted maliciously and harmed his own child.

But unless he had already previously exhibited violence with the mother or the baby WHY would the child's mother not be able to presume he would responsibly care for their child??

I am saying IMO there is a presumption of responsibility in the absence of indicators of irresponsibility.

Unless or until we know what caused the friend to feel concern (previous bad acts or something she saw that day which prompted the phone call?) I will not assume this mother acted irresponsibly by leaving her child with its own father.

Here was 16 year old who knew she was not ready to raise a child. She had no job and no high school degree. She was young and wanted to have fun.
She agreed to give up the child for adoption.
She then decides to take the child back.
Was she any more ready to raise this child?
It doesn't get any more obvious than this to me.

Some people when faced with what it takes to be responsible become responsible. The mother is not at fault. The mother did not kill the child. Blame the father. It has nothing to do with the childs mother.

I am not saying the father was responsible (ie. appropriate caretaker of the child acted in a responsible manner). Clearly he did not act responsibly rather he acted maliciously and harmed his own child.

But unless he had already previously exhibited violence with the mother or the baby WHY would the child's mother not be able to presume he would responsibly care for their child??

I am saying IMO there is a presumption of responsibility in the absence of indicators or irresponsibility.

Unless or until we know what caused the friend to feel concern (previous bad acts or something she saw that day which prompted the phone call?) I will not assume this mother acted irresponsibly by leaving her child with its own father.

Friend said father seemed "weird" and "socially awkward."

I am saying IMO there is a presumption of responsibility in the absence of indicators or irresponsibility.

Yes. And her reaction to the friend concern was immediate.

Was enough for her friend to become immediately concerned.

No. We do not know what immediately concerned her but she was concerned and called mom who did the right thing.

[modsnip]

I understand both points in this conversation, but I also agree, until further information stating otherwise, that the birthmother is a victim too.

What I want to address... well share... is my story of adoption- as a birthmother. I was 19 years old, came from a screwed up family myself and did not have the capabilities to care for a baby properly. I also did NOT want to bring a baby into my screwed up family (although I wasn't consciously aware of that motivation, at the time).

My family was Mormon, I was not- long story. I left the church officially when I was 15. I loved god and had a relationship with him, although situations from my childhood could have easily seen me turning my back on him- I'll leave it at that. My family knew I had strong feelings about the church.

I knew the moment I found out I was pregnant that I was going to give the baby up. I didn't want an abortion personally, but had no judgememnt towards anyone who made that choice- it just wasn't right for me.

My family tried to trick me and set me up with a Mormon adoption attorney giving the baby potentially to only Mormon families. I was furious. My mom found a different attorney. I was able to look through files and found a prospective family. On the way to meet them I asked God to help me... I knew people could be a certain way, for my benefit, and the benefit of wanting my baby- that was how I thought of it- in my underdeveloped, 19 year old head.

In a strange stroke of luck, the adoptive father was unable to make the meeting due to an emergency business situation so I met the mother alone. She told me all about her family history... of problems conceiving and how bad she felt as a woman and for her husband (they both desperately wanted a family) and how she even thought about leaving so he could find someone else to have a chance at a family. She was candid, likeable, kind and wanted nothing more then to be a mother. She had a good heart and was a good soul- we talked for hours. The next meeting when I met them together I instantly liked the husband and could see the love and devotion they had for each other- there is a lot more I could share about the meeting, but I wish to keep it private. I knew then, that I had chosen well. I wanted my baby to have a better life... it wasn't just the fact that I was young.

I moved back home for the last several months of my pregnancy so my mom could help me through. She had demanded I have an abortion when she first found out- that is another long story. I enjoyed being pregnant, had no swelling or morning sickness and was healthy and felt good. I knew I was doing the right thing- always- and just wanted my baby to be raised in a normal, loving, two parent household.

I was offered by the adoptive parents to have an open adoption but I declined. I did not know how I would react in the coming years, if I would freak out or something and in my mind he was thiers. I was bringing him into the world... but he was their baby... their child.

I had no idea how I was going to feel the moment I saw him. No one can know that, in advance, no matter how solid you are in your plan. Birthing a baby defies all logic... it becomes primal for some (not all, as we know here by the plethora of these cases). I was in labor for a LONG time- in retrospect I think my body, on a cellular level, knew the moment he was born he was going to be taken from me, maybe psychologically, and it held on for dear life. When my eyes locked with his- I fell in love with him- he was a part of me like I never understood before. I loved him.

I stayed on the 11th floor of the hospital and was able to go to the maternity ward to visit him in a private room- if I wanted to. I just mostly looked at him thorugh the nursery window however my heart was broken- I wanted him... but I knew better. I knew he had a chance with M and P... he was going to be loved and have a normal life. I was torn.

The next day I was to go home, but he would stay in the hospital one more day. I was heartbroken and terrified. The morning I was leaving I went to the ward and the nurses brought him to a private room for me. My granny and sister were with me and they started crying and falling apart. I asked them to leave. I was devastated. I prayed to god to help me... help me do what was right for HIM. I held my sweet, baby boy in my arms and lay on the bed with him, I listened to him breath, watched him sleep and told him why I was doing what I was doing- that I loved him. I fell asleep next to him for awhile and when I awoke I was completely at peace. I felt nothing but love and peace... that is all I can say- God had answered my prayer. I kissed him and gave him back to the nurses and left for my room and to get my things.

My mother was in my room when I got there and she was freaking out. She was crying, saying it was a mistake and we were going to get my son and take him to Mexico- if we had to. We didn't have to- I had six months by California laws to change my mind- but I was NEVER going to do that. Someone had already done that to M and P, she told me the story at our fist meeting without P... it was heartbreaking but on that day, I told her if I chose her... I would NEVER do that to her and I kept my word.

There is a bond, something unexplainable, something I could not predict as a teenager, but I loved my baby and grieved his loss for many years to come. I didn't know how I was going to love him, how my whole being would miss him and ache for him. How it is not natural to just hand away a baby you have carried and are connected to. I was able to overcome all of it- because of the power of my comitment to him, and to the family I promised him too, but it nearly killed my spirit. I had to shove a part of me away... deep, deep away. I am human, I have a heart with love to give- M and P were no better than me, nor worthy of a baby per se. It was the timing and circumstance, but I had love to give and could have tried to make a life for us. I kept my word, I stuck to my promise but it nearly broke me apart.

Today I am a terrific mother, and my children are the loves of my life... I am better prepared now, and that is a very good thing but I am human, and the loss of my baby never left me. EVER.

I can say today (my kids are 10, 13 and 15) that I love the baby I gave away the same, and equal to the children I am raising. I can say that the love i have felt for him all of these years- in his absense is no different.

Maybe everyone can have some compassion for that. It is a mothers love. My heart breaks for all of the victims in this case- so far- the 16 year old birth mother, included.

I hope maybe others can have compassion for the other side of it. A young mother is unable to predict how she will feel, it is not something anyone with inexperience can theorize.

Thanks for listening!

I understand both points in this conversation, but I also agree, until further information stating otherwise, that the birthmother is a victim too.

Thanks for listening!

snipped for space.

I just want to say that this was an incredible soul bearing post. Thank you for sharing it with us. Hugs.

Here is an interview with the birth mother. She knew full well she was not ready to raise the child when she agreed to give up the child for adoption.

"When she found out she was pregnant, about five months along, Atkins says she knew she wasn’t grown up enough to raise Gabriel."

http://whotv.com/2014/04/24/exclusive-baby-gabriels-mom-speaks-out/

I watched her interview, my heart breaks for her. I want to hug and comfort her.

The interviewer was harsh, rude and disrespectful IMO.

I understood perfectly what she was trying to say at the end of the interview. She felt his adoptive mothers didn't grieve and agonize the way she had. They didn't ask to see him or call after she took him back. I got the sense she was almost willing to share him somewhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I want to address... well share... is my story of adoption- as a birthmother. I was 19 years old, came from a screwed up family myself and did not have the capabilities to care for a baby properly. I also did NOT want to bring a baby into my screwed up family (although I wasn't consciously aware of that motivation, at the time).

My family was Mormon, I was not- long story. I left the church officially when I was 15. I loved god and had a relationship with him, although situations from my childhood could have easily seen me turning my back on him- I'll leave it at that. My family knew I had strong feelings about the church.

I knew the moment I found out I was pregnant that I was going to give the baby up. I didn't want an abortion personally, but had no judgememnt towards anyone who made that choice- it just wasn't right for me.

My family tried to trick me and set me up with a Mormon adoption attorney giving the baby potentially to only Mormon families. I was furious. My mom found a different attorney. I was able to look through files and found a prospective family. On the way to meet them I asked God to help me... I knew people could be a certain way, for my benefit, and the benefit of wanting my baby- that was how I thought of it- in my underdeveloped, 19 year old head.

In a strange stroke of luck, the adoptive father was unable to make the meeting due to an emergency business situation so I met the mother alone. She told me all about her family history... of problems conceiving and how bad she felt as a woman and for her husband (they both desperately wanted a family) and how she even thought about leaving so he could find someone else to have a chance at a family. She was candid, likeable, kind and wanted nothing more then to be a mother. She had a good heart and was a good soul- we talked for hours. The next meeting when I met them together I instantly liked the husband and could see the love and devotion they had for each other- there is a lot more I could share about the meeting, but I wish to keep it private. I knew then, that I had chosen well. I wanted my baby to have a better life... it wasn't just the fact that I was young.

I moved back home for the last several months of my pregnancy so my mom could help me through. She had demanded I have an abortion when she first found out- that is another long story. I enjoyed being pregnant, had no swelling or morning sickness and was healthy and felt good. I knew I was doing the right thing- always- and just wanted my baby to be raised in a normal, loving, two parent household.

I was offered by the adoptive parents to have an open adoption but I declined. I did not know how I would react in the coming years, if I would freak out or something and in my mind he was thiers. I was bringing him into the world... but he was their baby... their child.

I had no idea how I was going to feel the moment I saw him. No one can know that, in advance, no matter how solid you are in your plan. Birthing a baby defies all logic... it becomes primal for some (not all, as we know here by the plethora of these cases). I was in labor for a LONG time- in retrospect I think my body, on a cellular level, knew the moment he was born he was going to be taken from me, maybe psychologically, and it held on for dear life. When my eyes locked with his- I fell in love with him- he was a part of me like I never understood before. I loved him.

I stayed on the 11th floor of the hospital and was able to go to the maternity ward to visit him in a private room- if I wanted to. I just mostly looked at him thorugh the nursery window however my heart was broken- I wanted him... but I knew better. I knew he had a chance with M and P... he was going to be loved and have a normal life. I was torn.

The next day I was to go home, but he would stay in the hospital one more day. I was heartbroken and terrified. The morning I was leaving I went to the ward and the nurses brought him to a private room for me. My granny and sister were with me and they started crying and falling apart. I asked them to leave. I was devastated. I prayed to god to help me... help me do what was right for HIM. I held my sweet, baby boy in my arms and lay on the bed with him, I listened to him breath, watched him sleep and told him why I was doing what I was doing- that I loved him. I fell asleep next to him for awhile and when I awoke I was completely at peace. I felt nothing but love and peace... that is all I can say- God had answered my prayer. I kissed him and gave him back to the nurses and left for my room and to get my things.

My mother was in my room when I got there and she was freaking out. She was crying, saying it was a mistake and we were going to get my son and take him to Mexico- if we had to. We didn't have to- I had six months by California laws to change my mind- but I was NEVER going to do that. Someone had already done that to M and P, she told me the story at our fist meeting without P... it was heartbreaking but on that day, I told her if I chose her... I would NEVER do that to her and I kept my word.

There is a bond, something unexplainable, something I could not predict as a teenager, but I loved my baby and grieved his loss for many years to come. I didn't know how I was going to love him, how my whole being would miss him and ache for him. How it is not natural to just hand away a baby you have carried and are connected to. I was able to overcome all of it- because of the power of my comitment to him, and to the family I promised him too, but it nearly killed my spirit. I had to shove a part of me away... deep, deep away. I am human, I have a heart with love to give- M and P were no better than me, nor worthy of a baby per se. It was the timing and circumstance, but I had love to give and could have tried to make a life for us. I kept my word, I stuck to my promise but it nearly broke me apart.

Today I am a terrific mother, and my children are the loves of my life... I am better prepared now, and that is a very good thing but I am human, and the loss of my baby never left me. EVER.

I can say today (my kids are 10, 13 and 15) that I love the baby I gave away the same, and equal to the children I am raising. I can say that the love i have felt for him all of these years- in his absense is no different.

Maybe everyone can have some compassion for that. It is a mothers love. My heart breaks for all of the victims in this case- so far- the 16 year old birth mother, included.

I hope maybe others can have compassion for the other side of it. A young mother is unable to predict how she will feel, it is not something anyone with inexperience can theorize.

Thanks for listening!

I got chills reading this. Thank you for sharing it! I've always adored you.& had tremendous admiration and respect...now ...that's just grown exponentially!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I you Linda! Thank you.

Scarlett, thank you too, I may not always agree with you, but I admire you as well.

And I you Linda! Thank you.

Scarlett, thank you too, I may not always agree with you, but I admire you as well.

Back at you. You are among a bunch of posters here I don't always agree with but admire and love debating with!

You are courageous and amazing. :)

After listening to the birth mom's interview, she mentioned that boyfriend had been "over about 50 times", so he apparently did not live with her. Was this the first time boyfriend had ever been alone with baby?

She also mentions that her family was very supportive of her decision to take the baby back and financially supported her. She jumped into defensive mode that "her" insurance had paid for the pregnancy. She reminded me of another child of the "ME" generation going as far as to state that the adoptive parents hadn't called, just handed him back! JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back