GUILTY IA - Gabriel McFarland, 4 mos, dies of head trauma, Des Moines, 22 April 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Des Moines Police Sgt. Jason Halifax made the following statement in this news article. Father had a history? I can't help but wonder if the father did not want the baby and that is why the baby was adopted out. If this is the story then I have a problem with the baby being left with him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...e-dad-charged-article-1.1767653#ixzz2zrUD9cRx

"The infant’s mother had only been gone a few minutes Thursday when a friend phoned her to ask if she trusted Weehler-Smith with Gabriel.
The friend had just come from the couple’s apartment and saw Weehler-Smith holding the baby.

It wasn’t clear what alarmed the friend, Halifax said.

“There’s some kind of history with the father, but we’re not certain of the details,” he told The News.

The mother asked her friend to go back to the apartment. When the friend got there, she saw the dad driving away.

The mother raced home and called 911 after finding Gabriel in a baby-sized rocker. He was not breathing."

LE made a statement that the father had a history so immediately I wonder what kind of history. Since he was talking about the baby's death and that the baby was with the father I'm thinking it could be some kind of violence of some sort. JMO here but if he had a history LE knows about then no one should have left a baby with him.

I have no problem with the mother choosing to keep her baby. I wasn't quite seventeen when I had my oldest daughter and no, I didn't know how to care for her but my mother lived a mile away and a mother's instinct and common sense usually gets you through.

What I do have a problem with is if the baby was left with someone irresponsible and with a violent history....that's my problem. I've always held mothers responsible if they knowingly risked their babies safety by leaving them with someone who could harm them.

I'm sure more information will come out about this father who killed this baby and if he did not have a history of violence I'll gladly eat my words.

Unfortunately sometimes a mother thinks that a father will want and love the baby just as much as they do and the father just doesn't.

Was this young girl living with her parents? She is still a minor so I'm wondering how she was living alone. Anyone know?

yes, sometimes a baby will make you come correct with it. I was teen who was involved in self destructive behaviors and suffered low self esteem. I firmly believe my son saved my life. Carrying a life and having J caused me to grow the heck up and stop self indulging in the pity party. Someone had arrived that was more important than me.

I would want to hear about this history. If it involves violence I would feel that mom should not have left him alone with the child. Then I would understand and agree that mom is somewhat culpable.

If she trusted that the history was HISTORY then I would feel bad for her naivete but I would think she should have known better. Then I could agree not with blaming but with holding her culpable for her bad decision. She opted for motherhood. sought it out after it was off her plate. She took on the responsibility for a life. That is sobering stuff or should be.

I also feel badly for the adoptive parents. They invested emotionally and bonded with this child who was to be theirs, was theirs for 10 weeks. Once you have given your heart to a child it is theirs always.

Was this young girl living with her parents? She is still a minor so I'm wondering how she was living alone. Anyone know?

I am sorry I don't have the link handy but I read it in one of the articles linked here about the case. Her parents supported her decision to not finalize the adoption and were financially supporting her. One of her errands was reported as the library so conjecture: she may be attending school. I have not read anything about whether she lived independently or still with parents/family. That is a really good question.

By the way I looked it up. Abusive head trauma is not necessarily blunt force trauma to the head. In fact abusive head trauma could be a shaken baby syndrome.

He was sixteen too, correct? How much history as a child abuser could he have ?

By the way I looked it up. Abusive head trauma is not necessarily blunt force trauma to the head. In fact abusive head trauma could be a shaken baby syndrome.

thank you. That is what I was thinking. Kid is crying, father is shaking the baby because he is impatient and an :censored: with a history.

Again, that's why this history and if it was known to the mother is so important to my POV in this case.

I am sorry I don't have the link handy but I read it in one of the articles linked here about the case. Her parents supported her decision to not finalize the adoption and were financially supporting her. One of her errands was reported as the library so conjecture: she may be attending school. I have not read anything about whether she lived independently or still with parents/family. That is a really good question.

From this article, it does not sound like she was in school. And it appears she was living alone. (BBM below.) Realistically, someone had to be supporting her financially, IMO.

Atkins said she and the baby would spend all day together, watching "Law & Order" and cartoons. The baby's father would come over often to help give the child baths.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2014/04/24/gabriel-three-moms-feel-loss/8131923/

And Atkins said she believed she could raise the infant. A depression that had set in when she learned she was pregnant and intensified after she gave birth had lifted, and she decided to turn her life around, moving into a new apartment and buying a car, she said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ants-death-leaves-3-mothers-grieving/8133673/

It appears that Markeya Atkins own mother first contacted the McFarlands about adoption. Felicia West was a co-worker of one of the adoptive parents.

A co-worker of Rachel McFarland's had overheard a conversation about Rachel and her spouse wanting to have children. The woman, Felicia West, approached Rachel McFarland and told her that her daughter was pregnant and wanted to give the baby up for adoption. After some discussion and retaining a lawyer, the McFarlands agreed to adopt the child.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2014/04/24/gabriel-three-moms-feel-loss/8131923/

thanks K Z for those snips, makes me wonder if the adoption was her idea or if pressure was brought to bear and then later regretted, resulting in support of the decision to not follow through with the adoption.

thanks K Z for those snips, makes me wonder if the adoption was her idea or if pressure was brought to bear and then later regretted, resulting in support of the decision to not follow through with the adoption.

You can read an interview with her. She knew full well she wasn't ready to raise the child. According to her, she decided to give up the child for adoption because she was in her "teenage mode" and wanted to have fun.

This is what Markeya Atkins said:

She explained that, after discovering she was pregnant five months along, she knew that she wouldn't be able to raise the little boy so decided to give him up for adoption.

'I just thought – the rest of my life – am I really ready to give away the rest of my life for someone,' she said. 'And I just felt like it was the best way to go about it.'

But in February, she visited the couple's home and had second thoughts when she saw Rachel kiss the little boy and said 'mommy's here'. She passed back the baby and stormed out, she said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-changed-mind-keeping-him.html#ixzz30WnLuF4G

BBM above. When I read that, and heard her explain that interaction, my first reaction was that she was jealous and angry of the adoptive mom referring to herself as "mommy's here". MA still viewed herself as the baby's mother, and was offended that the adoptive mom would say that in front of her, while she was holding the baby. JMO.

FWIW, my sense is that she was upset with the adoptive parents, or at the situation in general, and wanted to get back at them, or "prove" that she was Gabriel's mother, not them. My sense is that her behavior in "taking back" Gabriel was more about her ability to wield this power over the adoptive parents as the birth mom, and less about actually wanting to parent the baby. It was about her, and her need to assert herself and be powerful, and manipulate other people, not about the best interests of the baby. JMO. I do believe she loved him and cared about him, but I don't believe that love was motivating her action when she took Gabriel from the adoptive parents. She was proving she was a grown up. She also commented that she was upset that one of the adoptive moms called MA's own mother and said she would not be able to visit without her in attendance. MA was VERY offended by that. She viewed herself as emancipated, and an adult.

Afterwards, the couple texted Atkins' mother and said she wouldn't be allowed to visit alone without her mother there in the future - which angered Atkins, she said.

'It really hurt my feelings because my mom was not there when I made the baby,' she said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-changed-mind-keeping-him.html#ixzz30WqqLTva

This may all boil down to a teenager feeling forced into something she didn't want, by the actions of her own mother. IMO.

ETA: MA uses the words "teenager mode" or similar, in the expanded interview clip.

Could you provide a snip and link that to guide me to how you are coming at your conclusion that she did the bold by me?

The BBM is a conclusion you have come to. The underlined by me is only a fact if I can read her words and not your interpretation of them. TIA

"I was five months pregnant when I found out I was pregnant. It was halfway over, and I was like, 'How am I supposed to do this?' I was still in my teenager mode. 'I'm still young and I want to have fun,' " Atkins said. "That wasn't the case after I got him back."

I understand both points in this conversation, but I also agree, until further information stating otherwise, that the birthmother is a victim too.

What I want to address... well share... is my story of adoption- as a birthmother. I was 19 years old, came from a screwed up family myself and did not have the capabilities to care for a baby properly. I also did NOT want to bring a baby into my screwed up family (although I wasn't consciously aware of that motivation, at the time).

My family was Mormon, I was not- long story. I left the church officially when I was 15. I loved god and had a relationship with him, although situations from my childhood could have easily seen me turning my back on him- I'll leave it at that. My family knew I had strong feelings about the church.

I knew the moment I found out I was pregnant that I was going to give the baby up. I didn't want an abortion personally, but had no judgememnt towards anyone who made that choice- it just wasn't right for me.

My family tried to trick me and set me up with a Mormon adoption attorney giving the baby potentially to only Mormon families. I was furious. My mom found a different attorney. I was able to look through files and found a prospective family. On the way to meet them I asked God to help me... I knew people could be a certain way, for my benefit, and the benefit of wanting my baby- that was how I thought of it- in my underdeveloped, 19 year old head.

In a strange stroke of luck, the adoptive father was unable to make the meeting due to an emergency business situation so I met the mother alone. She told me all about her family history... of problems conceiving and how bad she felt as a woman and for her husband (they both desperately wanted a family) and how she even thought about leaving so he could find someone else to have a chance at a family. She was candid, likeable, kind and wanted nothing more then to be a mother. She had a good heart and was a good soul- we talked for hours. The next meeting when I met them together I instantly liked the husband and could see the love and devotion they had for each other- there is a lot more I could share about the meeting, but I wish to keep it private. I knew then, that I had chosen well. I wanted my baby to have a better life... it wasn't just the fact that I was young.

I moved back home for the last several months of my pregnancy so my mom could help me through. She had demanded I have an abortion when she first found out- that is another long story. I enjoyed being pregnant, had no swelling or morning sickness and was healthy and felt good. I knew I was doing the right thing- always- and just wanted my baby to be raised in a normal, loving, two parent household.

I was offered by the adoptive parents to have an open adoption but I declined. I did not know how I would react in the coming years, if I would freak out or something and in my mind he was thiers. I was bringing him into the world... but he was their baby... their child.

I had no idea how I was going to feel the moment I saw him. No one can know that, in advance, no matter how solid you are in your plan. Birthing a baby defies all logic... it becomes primal for some (not all, as we know here by the plethora of these cases). I was in labor for a LONG time- in retrospect I think my body, on a cellular level, knew the moment he was born he was going to be taken from me, maybe psychologically, and it held on for dear life. When my eyes locked with his- I fell in love with him- he was a part of me like I never understood before. I loved him.

I stayed on the 11th floor of the hospital and was able to go to the maternity ward to visit him in a private room- if I wanted to. I just mostly looked at him thorugh the nursery window however my heart was broken- I wanted him... but I knew better. I knew he had a chance with M and P... he was going to be loved and have a normal life. I was torn.

The next day I was to go home, but he would stay in the hospital one more day. I was heartbroken and terrified. The morning I was leaving I went to the ward and the nurses brought him to a private room for me. My granny and sister were with me and they started crying and falling apart. I asked them to leave. I was devastated. I prayed to god to help me... help me do what was right for HIM. I held my sweet, baby boy in my arms and lay on the bed with him, I listened to him breath, watched him sleep and told him why I was doing what I was doing- that I loved him. I fell asleep next to him for awhile and when I awoke I was completely at peace. I felt nothing but love and peace... that is all I can say- God had answered my prayer. I kissed him and gave him back to the nurses and left for my room and to get my things.

My mother was in my room when I got there and she was freaking out. She was crying, saying it was a mistake and we were going to get my son and take him to Mexico- if we had to. We didn't have to- I had six months by California laws to change my mind- but I was NEVER going to do that. Someone had already done that to M and P, she told me the story at our fist meeting without P... it was heartbreaking but on that day, I told her if I chose her... I would NEVER do that to her and I kept my word.

There is a bond, something unexplainable, something I could not predict as a teenager, but I loved my baby and grieved his loss for many years to come. I didn't know how I was going to love him, how my whole being would miss him and ache for him. How it is not natural to just hand away a baby you have carried and are connected to. I was able to overcome all of it- because of the power of my comitment to him, and to the family I promised him too, but it nearly killed my spirit. I had to shove a part of me away... deep, deep away. I am human, I have a heart with love to give- M and P were no better than me, nor worthy of a baby per se. It was the timing and circumstance, but I had love to give and could have tried to make a life for us. I kept my word, I stuck to my promise but it nearly broke me apart.

Today I am a terrific mother, and my children are the loves of my life... I am better prepared now, and that is a very good thing but I am human, and the loss of my baby never left me. EVER.

I can say today (my kids are 10, 13 and 15) that I love the baby I gave away the same, and equal to the children I am raising. I can say that the love i have felt for him all of these years- in his absense is no different.

Maybe everyone can have some compassion for that. It is a mothers love. My heart breaks for all of the victims in this case- so far- the 16 year old birth mother, included.

I hope maybe others can have compassion for the other side of it. A young mother is unable to predict how she will feel, it is not something anyone with inexperience can theorize.

Thanks for listening!

Oh my goodness Frigga.....this made me cry like a baby! You are a wonderful loving soul! I know to me, that was just a story but for you it is life. I thank you tons for sharing that with us. It's a beautiful act of love you did. :loveyou:

There has been no conviction in the case. So I would say it's kind of premature to claim to be certain police got the perpetrator.
Especially with shaken baby syndrome cases, there is a window of time during which the child might still be alive and not show any symptoms. I am not suggesting police got the wrong person, but I am pretty sure defendant's lawyers could look at other people who were with the child prior to death.

There has been no conviction in the case. So I would say it's kind of premature to claim to be certain police got the perpetrator.
Especially with shaken baby syndrome cases, there is a window of time during which the child might still be alive and not show any symptoms. I am not suggesting police got the wrong person, but I am pretty sure defendant's lawyers could look at other people who were with the child prior to death.

We don't even know if this was an SBS case at this point. In my opinion, it really seems like you are grasping at any reason at all to blame the mother, when we have no evidence currently that she's anything but a victim.

We don't even know if this was an SBS case at this point. In my opinion, it really seems like you are grasping at any reason at all to blame the mother, when we have no evidence currently that she's anything but a victim.

We know child died from abusive head trauma. What does that mean in lay terms? And if you don't know that shaken baby syndrome cases are not easy to prove, you haven't been paying attention. It's also premature to claim someone is guilty before trial or any evidence presented, considering presumption of innocence. Shaken baby syndrome could be a very tricky case. I was just reading about a woman released from prison over conviction of shaken baby syndrome. If he gets a good lawyer it might not be so easy to get a conviction.

"Shaken baby syndrome is a term often used by physicians and the public to
describe abusive head trauma inflicted on infants and young children."
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/123/5/1409.full.pdf

We know child died from abusive head trauma. What does that mean in lay terms? And if you don't know that shaken baby syndrome cases are not easy to prove, you haven't been paying attention. It's also premature to claim someone is guilty before trial or any evidence presented, considering presumption of innocence. Shaken baby syndrome could be a very tricky case. I was just reading about a woman released from prison over conviction of shaken baby syndrome. If he gets a good lawyer it might not be so easy to get a conviction.

"Shaken baby syndrome is a term often used by physicians and the public to
describe abusive head trauma inflicted on infants and young children."
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/123/5/1409.full.pdf

I've actually worked on an SBS case. I'm quite familiar with the science and defense of them. (I hope this doesn't come across as snarky, just trying to be matter of fact). As far as I know, the autopsy has not been returned, so we really don't know at this point whether it is an abusive head trauma/shaken baby syndrome case or not. Even if that's the working "diagnosis" among law enforcement, until the autopsy comes back, we don't know how the baby died.

For example, a baby aspirates formula and chokes to death. This can create a hypoxic event and cause bleeding in the brain. This bleeding can look like an abusive head trauma. It takes an autopsy to determine what caused this bleeding - and even then sometimes it's questionable.

This is all far afield from my original point. You're now saying that it's possible the mother shook her baby to death, despite statements from LE that she will not be charged and is not a suspect. Defense attorneys can and will throw everything but the kitchen sink into a defense, and try to call into question lots of people. That doesn't make them criminally liable. It's a defense tactic. It's still my opinion that you're looking for evidence to make the mother culpable, when LE have clearly said she is not.

that is the beauty of so many different life experiences here at WS. We all bring our own to the table and it helps us to be able to see a different POV when hearing about another's that is different.

You see things from the POV of the adoptive parents because you are one.

I see things from the POV of the teen mother because I was one.

Its not that either is wrong or right.

Even if there was a chance this guy was violent with others it would have no bearing on whether he would be violent with his own child.
Snipped by me.

Respectfully...I wholeheartedly disagree with the above statement...that prior violent acts upon others are not indicative of future violent acts (on others, his child, his wife, whomever.)
Prior bad acts are the precursor to future issues. A violent man tends to remain violent imo. How many repeat offenders do we read about here on WS?

I would never leave my child alone with a violent person. Even if it were to be his father. My child is my number one priority in each and every aspect of my life, and I wouldn't let a violent man be my boyfriend, alone with my child, or in my life.

I won't judge her, but I will pray she finds peace...knowing that she left that infant in an unsafe, and ultimately murderous, situation...that's gotta be hard to live with.

Via Kindle, like a true Amazon junkie

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back