GUILTY IA - Gabriel McFarland, 4 mos, dies of head trauma, Des Moines, 22 April 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In the interview MA gave, she said her family supported her financially. Each to his own opinion, mine is that a 16 yo has no business living in an apt. by herself - being a mom doesn't qualify her as an adult!

For al66pine, it is my assumption that her friends are in school. That is why it says my opinion only. Do you know?

In the interview MA gave, she said her family supported her financially. Each to his own opinion, mine is that a 16 yo has no business living in an apt. by herself - being a mom doesn't qualify her as an adult!

For al66pine, it is my assumption that her friends are in school. That is why it says my opinion only. Do you know?

Re 16 y/o having no business in apt, totally alone or w baby, ITA, ~99% of the time. Is she the 1%, IDK.

Re her friends in school, IDK.
I try not to make ASSumptions, so speculated (emphasis, speculated)
her friends may be employed, unemployed, w babies or without babies, in school, not in school. Or a combo.
As I'm the last person west of the Mississippi not using FB, Instagram, etc.,
I thought others here may have info, facts, or an impression of her from soc med, if that is acceptable under W/S ToS.

I missed interview w her saying her fam supported her financially in her own apt. Link pls?

Thanks for your post. Always open to other views I may have overlooked.:seeya:

I understand both points in this conversation, but I also agree, until further information stating otherwise, that the birthmother is a victim too.
//Respectfully snipped

Thanks for listening!
So beautifully said and thanks for sharing...how you wrote that is exactly how it is. I hope you meet your boy one day :)

I am the lucky birth mom of an successful open adoption. I gave my daughter for adoption and met her parents at her birth and requested updates every year which was due-fully sent to me with lots of photos of her growth. When she turned 16, she was given my details and we made contact. We met for the first time when she was 17 and are currently enjoying a successful reunion. ....
snipped for focus, BBM.

I don't know much about 'open adoptions' in law or as practiced in US or elsewhere.
From K_Z's description, open adoptions in her state translates into
continued in-person contact between bio-mom and child over the years, starting when a baby.
That lends itself to differences of opinion re child rearing, to confrontations, arguments between bio-mom and adoptive parents, etc .

From carol's description about SA open adoptions, the direct, in-person contact w child and bio-mom does not happen until age 16, if at all.
And seems to depend on child's desire to contact bio-mom.

Two different scenarios altogether, imo.

Carol, thanks for explaining SA law/practices and to K_Z re her state law.

Carol's situation sounds to me like the desired/desirable outcome.
Glad it works for child, you, and adoptive parents. Terrific.

Thank you both for your input and concern for children.

snipped for focus, BBM.

I don't know much about 'open adoptions' in law or as practiced in the various US or elsewhere.
From K_Z's description, open adoptions in her state translates into
continued in-person contact between bio-mom and child over the years, starting when a baby.
That lends itself to differences of opinion re child rearing, to confrontations, arguments between bio-mom and adoptive parents, etc .

From carol's description about SA open adoptions, the direct, in-person contact w child and bio-mom does not happen until age 16, if at all.
And seems to depend on child's desire to contact bio-mom.

Two different scenarios altogether, imo.

Carol, thanks for explaining SA law/practices and to K_Z re her state law.

Carol's situation sounds to me like the desired/desirable outcome.
Glad it works for child, you, and adoptive parents. Terrific.

Thank you both for your input and concern for children.
Yep, things have changed somewhat with regards to adoption compared to 20 years ago thou. I follow quite a few SA blogs where parents are in open adoptions and they meet with the birth moms. In my day, this wasn't an option..open didn't include direct contact. I didn't know where my daughter lived, what her surname was or any other identifying details. We were only supposed to have contact (if she wanted) when she turned 18 however, her parents thought she was mature enough and ready to meet me. Also, my daughter went home right away with her parents and didn't go to foster care...quite frankly, I might have changed my mind if that was the case back then but I do see it's for the best now days, with all the horror stories of failed adoptions. I guess that why I say it was a "successful" open adoption, it wasn't complicated and both myself and her parents kept to the rules.

This story is all round tragic but I really feel for the adoptive parents the most, they must be heart broken.

http://whotv.com/2014/04/25/new-details-baby-gabriels-father-had-no-priors/

Weehler-Smith’s mother fought back tears while telling Channel 13 she’s not sure what will happen next.

She declined to do an interview on camera but said her son is a junior at Roosevelt High School. She says he has never had a run in with the law but is now in custody.

The baby’s father has no arrest record.

The baby’s mother is not charged with any crime in connection with this case. But Channel 13 has learnt she has been arrested by Des Moines police at least once.

She was accused of prank dialing 911 while babysitting a friend’s two-year old in the Oakridge neighborhood in February of 2013.

The police report shows she lied to officers about her name telling them she was Keesha Smith. She eventually came clean and gave police her real name.

But perhaps most disturbing, medics noticed a bag of K-2 on the kitchen table within the two-year-old’s reach.

Police say Atkins was never charged with possession of synthetic marijuana because testing showed there was no controlled substance in the K-2.

No charges before for Dad. so no one could know this would happen.

Mom has charges for being a prank caller?! Oh boy.. Lock her up.

And the drugs were not attributed to her.

[modsnip] AS far as I can see it was a young mom who wanted to raise her son and had support of her family. I am sure there are plenty of us here that fit into that category.

[modsnip] AS far as I can see it was a young mom who wanted to raise her son and had support of her family. I am sure there are plenty of us here that fit into that category.

Prank calling 911 is a crime.

Drugs were within reach of a 2-year-old in her care.

These are facts, and pretty relevant ones, imo. Both illustrate a tremendous degree of immaturity and irresponsibility while caring for a child.

Prank calling 911 is a crime.

Drugs were within reach of a 2-year-old in her care.

These are facts, and pretty relevant ones, imo. Both illustrate a tremendous degree of immaturity and irresponsibility while caring for a child.

If I read the article correctly, there were no drugs/ illegal substances in the "drugs" found...

A prank phone call a year before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor little Gabriel.

7 pages of debate over dad's history, mom's decision to take you back, your adoptive parents broken hearts.

Feeling like you are lost in this mess. Your name is not even in the thread title. :( Just that you were taken back by mom from your other parents. How sad is that?

Rest in peace little man.

If I read the article correctly, there were no drugs/ illegal substances in the "drugs" found...

No, there was no controlled substance found in the k2 or "spice." Most likely explanation for this is:

"For several years, Spice mixtures have been easy to purchase in head shops and gas stations and via the Internet. Because the chemicals used in Spice have a high potential for abuse and no medical benefit, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has designated the five active chemicals most frequently found in Spice as Schedule I controlled substances, making it illegal to sell, buy, or possess them. Manufacturers of Spice products attempt to evade these legal restrictions by substituting different chemicals in their mixtures, while the DEA continues to monitor the situation and evaluate the need for updating the list of banned cannabinoids."
http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/spice-synthetic-marijuana

The issue was that it was K-2 and was within reach of the 2-year-old.

It wasn't just a prank call, it was a prank call to 911 that resulted in police responding.

Oh, and she lied to police and gave a false name.

Baby Gabriel was born Dec 28, 2013. MA was arrested 10 months before his birth, in Feb 2013.

That arrest alone should have been more than sufficient justification for having child protective services involved with monitoring her and Baby Gabriel immediately upon the take-back situation, IMO.

I wish Baby Gabriel had been appointed a GAL. His interests were completely lost and overlooked in this whole situation.

I wonder if there was ever any kind of court hearing for the non-relinquishment, or if it was simply handled by the attorney?

No, there was no controlled substance found in the k2 or "spice." Most likely explanation for this is:

"For several years, Spice mixtures have been easy to purchase in head shops and gas stations and via the Internet. Because the chemicals used in Spice have a high potential for abuse and no medical benefit, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has designated the five active chemicals most frequently found in Spice as Schedule I controlled substances, making it illegal to sell, buy, or possess them. Manufacturers of Spice products attempt to evade these legal restrictions by substituting different chemicals in their mixtures, while the DEA continues to monitor the situation and evaluate the need for updating the list of banned cannabinoids."
http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/spice-synthetic-marijuana

Thank you. Very interesting.
I know nothing about K2, I appreciate the link.

Baby Gabriel was born Dec 28, 2013. MA was arrested 10 months before his birth, in Feb 2013.

That arrest alone should have been more than sufficient justification for having child protective services involved with monitoring her and Baby Gabriel immediately upon the take-back situation, IMO.

I wish Baby Gabriel had been appointed a GAL. His interests were completely lost and overlooked in this whole situation.

I wonder if there was ever any kind of court hearing for the non-relinquishment, or if it was simply handled by the attorney?

BBM I couldn't agree more. I guess it varies state to state but here, there would have been a court process, and a GAL assigned.

The arrest 10 months before Baby Gabriel's birth demonstrates extreme irresponsibility, negligence, extremely poor judgment, immaturity, and indifference to the presence of drugs/ drug look-alikes/ drug paraphernalia, at a minimum. They may not have been her drugs, but she wasn't at all disturbed to have them on the table after she prank called 911 and officers showed up. And I can't believe she didn't know what it was, FWIW.

The arrest also demonstrates her willingness to lie to authority figures, and willingness to use the 911 system as a source of entertainment, manipulation, and deceit. She is smart enough to know that was wrong. First graders are taught not to call 911 unless there is an emergency.

That arrest, so close to the birth of Gabriel, demonstrates her character, integrity, and maturity. IMO.

And rest assured, it will certainly be brought up by the attorney for DWS, as will the lack of an arrest record for him. These are facts, not conjecture.

[modsnip]

Snipped for focus:
No charges before for Dad. so no one could know this would happen. ....

Re bio-dad's violence or crim history (if any)
Only thing I recall having seen came from his mother - to the effect that he has 'never had a run in w the law' per ScarlettScarpetta's post.

Based on his age alone and likelihood that any proceedings would have bn in juvie ct,
I'm not sure what weight to give mom's veracity generally or that statement specifically.

He may be a straight A student, varsity athlete, Mensa member, and choir boy, and community volunteer. Or not. IDK.

Not saying anything negative about him
Just saying I won't conclude 'no violence' or 'no criminal history'
based solely on his mom's statement or lack of ct records available for this teen.

He may not have touched a hair on the baby's head. IDK.

Possible that he had no history of violence or anger management issues.
Possible that he did.
Possible bio-mom knew about it, possible was target of it herself (I can only hope not).
Possible baby had been target of it previously, known to mom (I can only hope not).
Possible she did not know about it.

Lots of possibilities and I try not to ASSume anything.
Open to reliable sources of info and considering many POV's before I draw conclusions.

RIP little guy.

Snipped for focus:

Re bio-dad's crim history (if any)
Only thing I recall having seen came from his mother - to the effect that he has 'never had a run in w the law' per ScarlettScarpetta's post.

Based on his age alone and likelihood that any proceedings would have bn in juvie ct,
I'm not sure what weight to give mom's veracity generally or that statement specifically.

He may very be a straight A student, varsity athlete, Mensa member, and choir boy, and community volunteer. Or not. IDK.

Not saying anything negative about him, just saying I won't
conclude 'no crime history' on his mom's statement or lack of ct records available for this teen.
He may not have touched a hair on the baby's head. IDK.

Possible that he had no history of violence or anger management issues.
Possible that he did.
Possible bio-mom knew about it, possible was target of it herself.
Possible baby had been target of it previously, known to mom.
Possible she did not know about it.

Lots of possibilities and I try not to ASSume anything.

iirc, in Iowa, juvenile records have to be requested to be sealed so I think the media would have already exposed any juvenile record of his just as they did the mother's.

iirc, in Iowa, juvenile records have to be requested to be sealed so I think the media would have already exposed any juvenile record of his just as they did the mother's.

Is it possible that, if bio-dad did have a 'run in w the law,' his attorney could have requested that his records be sealed? And they were?
IDK.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeybadger503
Back