IA - Gretchen Crooks, 37, murdered, Osage, 24 March 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This case bothers me more than any other I think. I'm just shocked that his parents didn't see any sign. Maybe they did were ashamed to let people know. I can't imagine having a child that is mentally sick like this.

I know absolutely zero about guns, so could someone who knows something about guns answer a couple of questions for me?

The articles are saying that she was shot multiple times:

Dr. Jonathan Thompson with the State Medical Examiner’s Office said it is impossible to know which of the 22 gunshots Gretchen Crooks’ sustained was the fatal shot.

Thompson said she suffered two wounds to the head, four to the neck and 15 to the chest.

William Crooks also talked about teaching his son how to handle guns including the alleged murder weapon, a .22 caliber Ruger semi-automatic rifle which belonged to Noah.

http://globegazette.com/news/local/...cle_99a573b6-b417-11e2-bead-0019bb2963f4.html

I thought that rifles shot single pointy metal bullets, and shotguns shot out a bunch of little BB-like things, and that things like ".22" and ".45" meant the size of the single bullets, so those measurements wouldn't apply when talking about a shotgun (so you'd just say "shotgun," not ".22 shotgun" or ".45 shotgun").

Are they saying that he literally shot 22 different bullets into her? Meaning that he would have pulled the trigger 22 separate times? Or do they mean that he fired a shotgun, and she was hit by 22 of the BB things? (Although, when I add 15+4+2 I come up with 21.) Are the papers using the terms "rifle" and "shotgun" interchangeably? Or am I not understanding what "rifle" and "shotgun" mean and the difference between the two?

Because, as horrible and unthinkable as the murder and attempted rape charges are...if he actually stood there and shot her 22 separate times (which would have meant loading in more bullets, right?)...well, there are just no words, period.

I know absolutely zero about guns, so could someone who knows something about guns answer a couple of questions for me?

The articles are saying that she was shot multiple times:

http://globegazette.com/news/local/...cle_99a573b6-b417-11e2-bead-0019bb2963f4.html

I thought that rifles shot single pointy metal bullets, and shotguns shot out a bunch of little BB-like things, and that things like ".22" and ".45" meant the size of the single bullets, so those measurements wouldn't apply when talking about a shotgun (so you'd just say "shotgun," not ".22 shotgun" or ".45 shotgun").

Are they saying that he literally shot 22 different bullets into her? Meaning that he would have pulled the trigger 22 separate times? Or do they mean that he fired a shotgun, and she was hit by 22 of the BB things? (Although, when I add 15+4+2 I come up with 21.) Are the papers using the terms "rifle" and "shotgun" interchangeably? Or am I not understanding what "rifle" and "shotgun" mean and the difference between the two?

Because, as horrible and unthinkable as the murder and attempted rape charges are...if he actually stood there and shot her 22 separate times (which would have meant loading in more bullets, right?)...well, there are just no words, period.

Per this link:

http://www.kaaltv.com/article/stories/s2790012.shtml

she was sitting placidly on her couch using her laptop when he shot her 21 times with a .22 caliber rifle. (The .22 caliber is a common and cheap little family of cartridges, 22 / 100ths of an inch diameter.)

THEN he tried to rape her. No wonder they say he'll never be cured. (Shades of one Ed Kemper, serial killer, but not as hulking and shorter career.)

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...11e2-b889-001a4bcf887a.html?comment_form=true

jury say they are close to hung, but judge has requested they still keep deliberating, they are still deliberating

Wow! I can't believe they would consider being "hung" after deliberating for only one day. They are only talking about putting this kid behind bars for a few years. This is not a DP case. I wish that I could have heard more from the case to see what is causing the hesitation.

Unbelievable! IMO, this is clearly a case of a very sick (not insane, sick) person who will repeat offend. This foolish jury just allowed for a killer, someone who murdered his own mother and then tried to rape her, to not just get away with murder but to be put back on the streets. Cases like this make me wonder if our jury system is the best.

Can anyone say why his dad stands behind him? I know that's your son, but jeez.

This was the case that made me take a loooooong break from Websleuths. I am shocked that he wasn't found guilty of rape, he said he tried to rape her in his 911 call.
I'm scared for this world when he is released. If you can do that to your own mother, what can you do to a complete stranger?

RIP Gretchen, I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashpandaoutside
Back