IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Clear Lake. But iirc, JH & JV went boating at other lakes too. Idk if they checked the lake- prob just assumed body would float to surface in a day or two- it was summer, so warmer temps. But if he wrapped her in wire & weighed her down- not. I wish they’d look now with new imaging tech. Jmo

Yes I recall Coralville too, but this article says Clear Lake. Not sure now. What do you recall @Tippy Lynn?
Were you at Jodi's last birthday party? • Find Jodi Huisentruit

I don't know for sure. I guess it depends on what you read. LOL

It has been widely reported that Huisentruit went skiing at Coralville Lake north of Iowa City, Iowa with the primary person of interest in her disappearance, a man twenty-some years here senior, John Vansice, Vansice’s son and two of Jodi’s friends.

Investigator says he's found final video footage of Jodi Huisentruit

Now I'm not familiar with the way boats are "stored", but I assume he kept his boat "moored" on the shore of whichever lake he was last at unless he was going to transport it - by trailer, presumably. However, it looks a bit too big to do so in this picture - https://iasty6e9ii48tsj30lg3j17r-wp...oads/2018/12/huisentruit18-e1545420960463.jpg). My question is that wouldn't it have been most likely "moored" at Coralville and thus the most likely location to search?

Typically, people either have docks with a lift on a lake or they trailer their boats to and from lakes. I'm not sure what JV did with his boat, but if he had a dock I would bet it was on Clear Lake and not on Coralville Lake since Clear Lake was so close. Clear Lake is a well known lake in the area for boaters.

Last edited:
Typically, people either have docks with a lift on a lake or they trailer their boats to and from lakes. I'm not sure what JV did with his boat, but if he had a dock I would bet it was on Clear Lake and not on Corolville Lake since Clear Lake was so close. Clear Lake is a well known lake in the area for boaters.
I see, thank you for your helpful answer!

Oxygen-Media.jpg

Missing Iowa TV journalist Jodi Huisentruit's family still searching years later, doc reveals: ‘It's horrible'
''Huisentruit’s family has speculated over the years on what could have happened to the star reporter. Her mother Jane Huisentruit said she thinks her daughter is at the bottom of a lake near her home, the Des Moines Register reported. And like Lindsay, Huisentruit’s cousin Mary Lee Moberg suspected a stalker could have been behind the disappearance.''

''Despite the nearly 25-year mystery, Lindsey believes shows like “Up and Vanish” can resurrect interest in the case, compelling those with information to finally come forward in hopes of giving loved ones long-awaited answers.''

“I think shows like this bring notoriety to some of these cases and spotlight them,” he said. “Giving listeners and viewers details about these cases. This day and age, there’s an entire Reddit FBI out there and Websleuths all over the place. I think just spreading the information and keeping the case alive is the most that you can do sometimes. And I think shows like this can help do that.”
I have to say the "Up and Vanished" episode on Oxygen was very well done. JV is still at the top of my list.
jmo
I was bummed to have missed this Sat night, BUT... If you download the Oxygen app, you can watch the full Feb 15 premiere of “Up and Vanished” S1/E1, regarding Jodi Huisentruit’s disappearance. Free download, free episode.:)

It really is an excellent summary of the bits & pieces collected- and recollected- over the years. Some inconsistencies too. Interviews with family, friends, coworkers, witnesses, expert profilers, retired state senator. Sure would love a solve on this case. Justice for Jodi!

Huisentruit evidence released to Oxygen show
''Updated: 10:07 PM CST February 16, 2020
MINNEAPOLIS — For the first time, video of missing news anchor Jodi Huisentruit’s last birthday party has been made public. It was featured throughout Oxygen’s “Up and Vanished,” about Huisentruit’s disappearance, which premiered Saturday.

The FBI and Mason City Police both declined to release the video to KARE 11 News, calling it evidence in an open investigation.

In “Up and Vanished,” a group of on-camera producers call retired FBI profiler Jim Clemente, whom they say “did his own investigation years ago and shared it with the Mason City Police Department.”

Clemente told the producers he and other renowned profilers John Douglas and James Fitzgerald watched the video, and noticed Jodi’s friend John Vansice.

“Every time Jodi would dance or spend time with another guy, John would have laser focus on Jodi and whoever she was talking to. He had a really evil look in his eyes like he was really pissed off,” Clemente said.''

I thought they did a pretty good job with this Oxygen show. Here is the link below of Clemente discussing the case. The card that was sent by Jodi to John and then thrown out, was interesting as I don't remember hearing that before.
Maureen O'Connell Calls Jim Clemente to Talk About Jodi Huisentruit's Disappearance

Wow, I was blown away by the Up and Vanished episode covering this case!

Unsolved Mysteries, where I first saw learned of Jodi, portrayed her as "a woman with many friends and no known enemies." But far from that, Up and Vanished actually presents several potential persons of interest, from a rebuffed friend, to an area rapist, connections to drug activity, and even police corruption. And just when I was sure one of them had to have done it, the next suspect is presented, and he sounds equally plausible too.

It just saddens me that it's been 25 years—almost as long as Jodi herself lived—and we still don't know anything definite.

That JV, though...

Wow, I was blown away by the Up and Vanished episode covering this case!

Unsolved Mysteries, where I first saw learned of Jodi, portrayed her as "a woman with many friends and no known enemies." But far from that, Up and Vanished actually presents several potential persons of interest, from a rebuffed friend, to an area rapist, connections to drug activity, and even police corruption. And just when I was sure one of them had to have done it, the next suspect is presented, and he sounds equally plausible too.

It just saddens me that it's been 25 years—almost as long as Jodi herself lived—and we still don't know anything definite.

That JV, though...

Thoughts on Dirk Jablonski? I've not seen much mention of him at all, presumably because the documentary was the first source to mention him. I thought that was quite an interesting lead, particularly since he had been know to have done similar things before, and certain features of the case seem to match his MO (harassment, stalking, ect.)

Also, what about the fact of tips (including this) not reaching the DCI?

Thoughts on Dirk Jablonski? I've not seen much mention of him at all, presumably because the documentary was the first source to mention him. I thought that was quite an interesting lead, particularly since he had been know to have done similar things before, and certain features of the case seem to match his MO (harassment, stalking, ect.)

Also, what about the fact of tips (including this) not reaching the DCI?

I'm not sure what to think about Jablonski. Hopefully, he is fully investigated (if he hasn't been).

I thought LaDonna's perception of JV was rather interesting. I get the feeling she's extremely naive. I don't believe most of what she said regarding the events that took place the morning Jodi disappeared.

jmo

I'm not sure what to think about Jablonski. Hopefully, he is fully investigated (if he hasn't been).

I thought LaDonna's perception of JV was rather interesting. I get the feeling she's extremely naive. I don't believe most of what she said regarding the events that took place the morning Jodi disappeared.

jmo

She’s definitely not telling the truth and the timeline of events just doesn’t add up. The grand jury knew it and obviously the police knew it. John met his friend AS...that made an appearance on the Oxygen show...at the gas station at 7:00 AM claiming that Jodi was gone. The welfare check for Jodi wasn’t placed until 7:13 AM. Now throw the phone call that was placed by John to the station that Kuns talked about on the show and things get really interesting given the time she said it took place.

Last edited:
She’s definitely not telling the truth and the timeline of events just doesn’t add up. The grand jury knew it and obviously the police knew it. John met his friend AS...that made an appearance on the Oxygen show...at the gas station at 7:00 AM claiming that Jodi was gone. The welfare check for Jodi wasn’t placed until 7:13 AM. Now throw the phone call that was placed by John to the station that Kuns talked about on the show and things get really interesting given the time she said it took place.
It seemed like he was trying to establish an alibi.

Jablonski's later actions do coincide with some of the things Jodi was describing (stalking, being followed, strange phone calls, etc.), but then again, so do the actions of other persons of interest. That's what's so frustrating about this case!

Ultimately, I don't think it was him. Yeah, he could've stalked her. And while some stalkers do make the transition to violence, I feel like if he had, then he would've done it again, and we haven't seen that.

jmo

Totally with you on LaDonna... with the addition that she sounded like she was trying to be convincing. Her evasive eye contact, the pauses in her answers, like she was trying to come up with the right words, made it seem like she wanted to convince viewers and herself of something that she knew not to be entirely accurate.

Agreed! And surely there would be a timestamped record of the call Amy received that morning. I get it if the call came from a payphone, and so they can't establish a direct link to JV.

But I definitely believed Amy over LaDonna. Amy was very firm in saying that JV had never called the station except that morning, so I'm sure that's why she was able to remember it so vividly, since it was out of the norm. And probably also because she'd been worried about Jodi now for about 3 hours, and now here's someone else calling because he can't find Jodi. I'm sure that added to her worry.

LaDonna vouches for JV and implicates the anonymous friend. The anonymous friend implicates JV. If we had only their testimony, then it would be JV's word against the friend's, and the motive for implicating the other person would be obvious—to save themselves. But what motive does Amy have for implicating JV with her testimony?

John called AS before they met at the gas station so if the police have the record of that phone call taking place it’s lights out completely on what LaDonna is saying. We are literally talking case closed but not enough to prove it. In my opinion John was directly involved or knows who was.

Also remember when AS said John was asking what he thought was very stupid nervous questions like where AS was going to work that day considering he already knew ....maybe they weren’t stupid questions after all. AS drilled wells for a living so hopefully all his recent job sites were checked over back then.

Now I'm not familiar with the way boats are "stored", but I assume he kept his boat "moored" on the shore of whichever lake he was last at unless he was going to transport it - by trailer, presumably. However, it looks a bit too big to do so in this picture - https://iasty6e9ii48tsj30lg3j17r-wp...oads/2018/12/huisentruit18-e1545420960463.jpg). My question is that wouldn't it have been most likely "moored" at Coralville and thus the most likely location to search?
I believe the boat in the background of your picture is actually out of the water in a dry dock. If that is the boat I would suggest that is the main place he keeps his boat during warm weather.

That is a large boat, but I still think it could be moved via trailer the gating issue is beam width, as special permits are required if you exceed 8.5 feet. My old Neighbor had a 43 foot boat he would trailer a few times each year, though he hired a semi to move it.

I believe the boat in the background of your picture is actually out of the water in a dry dock. If that is the boat I would suggest that is the main place he keeps his boat during warm weather.

That is a large boat, but I still think it could be moved via trailer the gating issue is beam width, as special permits are required if you exceed 8.5 feet. My old Neighbor had a 43 foot boat he would trailer a few times each year, though he hired a semi to move it.

From the book, Dead Air, JV purchased a brand new boat for $26k in late spring 1995. I believe in was a speed boat/waterskiing boat. It was also mentioned in the book there was a time when JV got hot headed after a day of skiing on Clear Lake when he had to try several times to get the boat on the trailer.

From the book, Dead Air, JV purchased a brand new boat for $26k in late spring 1995. I believe in was a speed boat/waterskiing boat. It was also mentioned in the book there was a time when JV got hot headed after a day of skiing on Clear Lake when he had to try several times to get the boat on the trailer.

There is video of him on a boat (watersking boat) cleaning it. It is on a trailer in what looks like his driveway on the Up and Vanished show

Thanks for the info!

Also remember when AS said John was asking what he thought was very stupid nervous questions like where AS was going to work that day considering he already knew ....maybe they weren’t stupid questions after all. AS drilled wells for a living so hopefully all his recent job sites were checked over back then.

In it together (with LaDonna in the know?) and implicating each other? Anyone know if they did check the wells or not? Reminds me of how Chris Watts disposed of his daughters bodies in oil tanks where he worked.

Thanks for the info!

In it together (with LaDonna in the know?) and implicating each other? Anyone know if they did check the wells or not? Reminds me of how Chris Watts disposed of his daughters bodies in oil tanks where he worked.
A well is a great place to hide someone. Maybe someone could go with some equipment and still take a look. GPR should help.

I have given this case great thought since watching the program on Oxygen recently and this is what I think happened. JV invited Jodi to watch the birthday party video the night before Jodi was abducted: I think the nexus between them being together to watch that video and her abduction the next morning is significant.

There is a reason the FBI considers JV a suspect after watching that video. First of all Jodi was bubbly with a very outgoing and friendly personality: you can see how much fun she and John were having: you could even describe her as flirtatious that evening. I would imagine to her way of thinking her behavior was not flirtatious because she considered him a good friend and she believed she convinced JV that is all it would ever be; she believed he accepted that.

I believe JV misinterpreted her outgoing friendly and bubbly personality as her having feelings for him. In that video one of the things that struck me was the way JV lifted her up: his hands were all over her legs and butt and he lifted her up in an extremely almost intimate manner. He lifted her up like he owned her. The FBI person also mentioned something about that as well. The FBI person who viewed the video also described JV as looking "evil" when he watched her with other people on that video. I believe the FBI person described that John was watching her all night when she was with other people, in a way that demonstrated her did not like it.

I think that finally after months of yearning for her affection and realizing finally she was never going to return his affection in the way he yearned for, he lost it: he snapped: he went over toher apartment that morning, abducted and murdered her. I think his lady friend (whose name escapes me), isn't telling the truth (or she is telling only partial truth), and she is in denial.

People keep looking for complex reasons and strange people and situations to try and figure out who abducted her when it really appears to be much more simple: unrequited love and jealousy.

Of course I could be wrong- but that is my deep feelings about this case. JV now apparently has Alzheimer's and the truth may be out reach now: he will never admit it and by now who know how his mind is working----

I pray they find her body but I don't think that will ever happen.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980
Back