IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It’s not acceptable and in real life does not happen. The poster is blowing smoke.
Police corruption/cover-up happens all the time. The botched nature of this particular investigation is extremely well-documented. Pretty much every article, book linked in this thread addresses that. Including the Find Jodi site. No one’s blowing smoke around here.

No wonder I couldn't find it!

What I don't understand is how those ol'-boys think it's acceptable to allow a violent/murderous person to roam free in their town just because they are one of theirs? Crazy - I can't imagine their rationale.

It’s not acceptable and in real life does not happen. <modsnip>
Police corruption/cover-up happens all the time. The botched nature of this particular investigation is extremely well-documented. Pretty much every article, book linked in this thread addresses that. Including the Find Jodi site. No one’s blowing smoke around here.

In that case please provide a case where the police covered up the identity of a rapist or murderer.

Having first joined this site years ago I’ve noticed that in nearly every unsolved case some <modsnip> claim that the police “botched” the case. In the real world some cases are meant to be solved while others aren’t.

Last edited by a moderator:

In that case please provide a case where the police covered up the identity of a rapist or murderer.

Having first joined this site years ago I’ve noticed that in nearly every unsolved case some <modsnip> claim that the police “botched” the case. In the real world some cases are meant to be solved while others aren’t.
Rape has not been established as a factor in Jodi’s case. There are tons of cases where police have covered up the identity of a murderer. But again, those cases don’t pertain to Jodi. You can google that yourself, find hundreds of links & get sidetracked for days reading about officers charged & convicted of obstruction of justice for covering up a murder. I’ve followed Jodi’s particular case since JH first went missing- back when I was listening to the nightly news & reading reports from newspapers & not the internet. Iowa is my home state & the case was a big deal there. Perhaps some cases can’t be solved as you say, but to state, “in the real world some cases are meant to be solved while others aren’t” is your opinion, not fact. And that’s OK- you’re entitled. My opinion is that the way this case was handled is a disgrace. If my loved one went missing, I would no more want this team working the case than the JBR team in Colorado.

I’m not sure it’s wise turn one’s nose up at the “amateurs”. These days some of those armchair detectives are solving cases expert detectives failed to close.
The amateur detectives tackling murders and kidnaps

Having first joined this site years ago I’ve noticed that in nearly every unsolved case some <modsnip>claim that the police “botched” the case. In the real world some cases are meant to be solved while others aren’t.

I don't think it's common in real life, but it does happen. For the record, I respect LE however, IMO it's ignorant to think it never happens.

Having first joined this site years ago I’ve noticed that in nearly every unsolved case some <modsnip>claim that the police “botched” the case. In the real world some cases are meant to be solved while others aren’t.

I respect that you are part of LE, ect. <modsnip> Corruption permeates every level of society (as I'm sure you know very well) and LE certainly isn't exempt. Perhaps an example would be more convincing; Jessica Boynton - a police officer's wife was almost killed by her husband who was a cop, and yet the PD (and related institutions) covered up (and still are to this day) for him. I've linked some articles about the case below:
What if Your Abusive Husband Is a Cop?
Sign the Petition
Who shot the officer's wife? | Examine the evidence yourself
Matthew Boynton: The evidence and investigation that led to his arrest

<modsnip>
Take this case where eight out of nine officers in a task force were charged (not by amateur sleuths, mind you) for corruption - one of many such exposés of corruption (and who knows how many more cases there are that have never been - and may never be exposed, since the very people that are supposed to be exposing such crimes are the ones actually doing it?):
US: Ex-cop Pleads Guilty in Police Corruption Scandal
In Baltimore, Brazen Officers Took Every Chance to Rob and Cheat

But thanks for analyzing me.
Pardon me if it was a little too condescending, but it really disappointed me to see such denial in the face of the obvious - that there has to be at least some corruption in LE.

Take this case where eight out of nine officers in a task force were charged (not by amateur sleuths, mind you) for corruption - one of many such exposés of corruption (and who knows how many more cases there are that have never been - and may never be exposed, since the very people that are supposed to be exposing such crimes are the ones actually doing it?):
US: Ex-cop Pleads Guilty in Police Corruption Scandal
In Baltimore, Brazen Officers Took Every Chance to Rob and Cheat

Pardon me if it was a little too condescending, but it really disappointed me to see such denial in the face of the obvious - that there has to be at least some corruption in LE.

I never said that there was no corruption. Big cities have a lot of corruption. By corruption I mean keeping drug dealers money or accepting free meals and the like. I said that in the real world the police do not coverup for their fellow officers in cases of rape and murder. I challenged someone to cite a case where law enforcement did such a thing and I’ve yet to hear of such a case.

I never said that there was no corruption. Big cities have a lot of corruption. By corruption I mean keeping drug dealers money or accepting free meals and the like. I said that in the real world the police do not coverup for their fellow officers in cases of rape and murder. I challenged someone to cite a case where law enforcement did such a thing and I’ve yet to hear of such a case.

Some cases of cover-ups (not corruption - but, really, whats the difference? The two go hand-in-hand - all of the officers involved in corruption are covering up for their fellow partners-in-crime) that I found with a quick bit of research (and these are only about "serious" crimes by your definition - I don't see how drug-dealing isn't serious/deadly and how you can excuse it as such, especially since drug-dealing and almost every other crime go hand-in-hand):

Abner Louima - Wikipedia
Shooting of Bernard Whitehurst - Wikipedia
Four Chicago Police Officers Fired for Cover-Up of Laquan McDonald Shooting
Rampart scandal - Wikipedia
Shooting of Joseph Erin Hamley - Wikipedia
Baltimore officers planted gun on man after deliberately running him over, indictment says

Don't get me wrong - I honestly respect LE and believe that in most cases they do a great job - however there will always be corruption - and thus cover-ups (including of major offences, inevitably) in LE just as there is in every other facet of society.

Last edited:
MOD NOTE:

PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC.
A GENERAL DEBATE ABOUT POSSIBLE POLICE CORRUPTION IS NOT ON TOPIC. RESPECTFUL AND POLITE DISCUSSION ABOUT THAT POSSIBILITY IN THIS CASE IS PERMITTED. ALL OTHER GENERAL DEBATE AND NAMECALLING POSTS WILL BE REMOVED, AND SUCH POSTERS WILL RISK LOSING POSTING PRIVILEGES. THAT INCLUDES THOSE WHO RESPOND TO OFFENDING POSTS. PLEASE REPORT THOSE INSTEAD.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS TO BE RESPONSIBLE MEMBERS OF WEBSLEUTHS BY FOLLOWING THE TERMS OF SERVICE.

CocoChanel

Huisentruit evidence released to Oxygen show
''Updated: 10:07 PM CST February 16, 2020
MINNEAPOLIS — For the first time, video of missing news anchor Jodi Huisentruit’s last birthday party has been made public. It was featured throughout Oxygen’s “Up and Vanished,” about Huisentruit’s disappearance, which premiered Saturday.

The FBI and Mason City Police both declined to release the video to KARE 11 News, calling it evidence in an open investigation.

In “Up and Vanished,” a group of on-camera producers call retired FBI profiler Jim Clemente, whom they say “did his own investigation years ago and shared it with the Mason City Police Department.”

Clemente told the producers he and other renowned profilers John Douglas and James Fitzgerald watched the video, and noticed Jodi’s friend John Vansice.

“Every time Jodi would dance or spend time with another guy, John would have laser focus on Jodi and whoever she was talking to. He had a really evil look in his eyes like he was really pissed off,” Clemente said.''

Oxygen-Media.jpg

Missing Iowa TV journalist Jodi Huisentruit's family still searching years later, doc reveals: ‘It's horrible'
''Huisentruit’s family has speculated over the years on what could have happened to the star reporter. Her mother Jane Huisentruit said she thinks her daughter is at the bottom of a lake near her home, the Des Moines Register reported. And like Lindsay, Huisentruit’s cousin Mary Lee Moberg suspected a stalker could have been behind the disappearance.''

''Despite the nearly 25-year mystery, Lindsey believes shows like “Up and Vanish” can resurrect interest in the case, compelling those with information to finally come forward in hopes of giving loved ones long-awaited answers.''

“I think shows like this bring notoriety to some of these cases and spotlight them,” he said. “Giving listeners and viewers details about these cases. This day and age, there’s an entire Reddit FBI out there and Websleuths all over the place. I think just spreading the information and keeping the case alive is the most that you can do sometimes. And I think shows like this can help do that.”

Oxygen-Media.jpg

Missing Iowa TV journalist Jodi Huisentruit's family still searching years later, doc reveals: ‘It's horrible'
''Huisentruit’s family has speculated over the years on what could have happened to the star reporter. Her mother Jane Huisentruit said she thinks her daughter is at the bottom of a lake near her home, the Des Moines Register reported. And like Lindsay, Huisentruit’s cousin Mary Lee Moberg suspected a stalker could have been behind the disappearance.''

''Despite the nearly 25-year mystery, Lindsey believes shows like “Up and Vanish” can resurrect interest in the case, compelling those with information to finally come forward in hopes of giving loved ones long-awaited answers.''

“I think shows like this bring notoriety to some of these cases and spotlight them,” he said. “Giving listeners and viewers details about these cases. This day and age, there’s an entire Reddit FBI out there and Websleuths all over the place. I think just spreading the information and keeping the case alive is the most that you can do sometimes. And I think shows like this can help do that.”
It’s a great article- references the MANY documentaries/investigative shows. So much to review with this case.

Her mom’s comment really got my attention, “Jane Huisentruit said she thinks her daughter is at the bottom of a lake near her home”. The first thought that popped into my head is the lake she went to with JV for her birthday bash a week or two earlier. It was reported that he...
-named his boat after her
-organized/paid for the major party
-had dinner with her the night before her death to view photos & video of the birthday weekend. When reliving it didn’t inspire her to reciprocate romantic feelings maybe he snapped. Stewed about it all night & grabbed her in the morning to “leave” her back at that same lake. JV was recently divorced- maybe enraged with 2nd rejection.

Maybe the resealing of the search warrant is to wait for advancements in technology to test degraded evidence in JV autos? I also wonder if newer diving technology has ever been used. Skeletal remains in a freshwater lake can last for years. No idea if DNA could still be extracted, but dental records or facial reconstruction could ID Jodi.

These bones held up 40 years in OK, and IA colder!
2 Cars With Skeletal Remains Found 3 Feet Apart at Bottom of Oklahoma Lake

Last edited:
It’s a great article- references the MANY documentaries/investigative shows. So much to review with this case.

Her mom’s comment really got my attention, “Jane Huisentruit said she thinks her daughter is at the bottom of a lake near her home”. The first thought that popped into my head is the lake she went to with JV for her birthday bash a week or two earlier. It was reported that he...
-named his boat after her
-organized/paid for the major party
-had dinner with her the night before her death to view photos & video of the birthday weekend. When reliving it didn’t inspire her to reciprocate romantic feelings maybe he snapped. Stewed about it all night & grabbed her in the morning to “leave” her back at that same lake. JV was recently divorced- maybe enraged with 2nd rejection.

Maybe the resealing of the search warrant is to wait for advancements in technology to test degraded evidence in JV autos? I also wonder if newer diving technology has ever been used. Skeletal remains in a freshwater lake can last for years. No idea if DNA could still be extracted, but dental records or facial reconstruction could ID Jodi.

These bones held up 40 years in OK, and IA colder!
2 Cars With Skeletal Remains Found 3 Feet Apart at Bottom of Oklahoma Lake

Sorry if this is a common fact, but what was the name of the lake? Also I expect it has been checked - is that so?

Sorry if this is a common fact, but what was the name of the lake? Also I expect it has been checked - is that so?

JH was boating with JV and other friends on Coralville Lake in Iowa the week-end before she went missing. However, JV took his boat out on Clear Lake a lot which is only a few minutes from Mason City.

Clear Lake. But iirc, JH & JV went boating at other lakes too. Idk if they checked the lake- prob just assumed body would float to surface in a day or two- it was summer, so warmer temps. But if he wrapped her in wire & weighed her down- not. I wish they’d look now with new imaging tech. Jmo

JH was boating with JV and other friends on Coralville Lake in Iowa the week-end before she went missing. However, JV took his boat out on Clear Lake a lot which is only a few minutes from Mason City.

Now I'm not familiar with the way boats are "stored", but I assume he kept his boat "moored" on the shore of whichever lake he was last at unless he was going to transport it - by trailer, presumably. However, it looks a bit too big to do so in this picture - https://iasty6e9ii48tsj30lg3j17r-wp...oads/2018/12/huisentruit18-e1545420960463.jpg). My question is that wouldn't it have been most likely "moored" at Coralville and thus the most likely location to search?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knoop
Back