IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Re visiting this older link.
Nov 5, 2019 By: Mike Bunge rbbm.
Investigator says he's found final video footage of Jodi Huisentruit
''SOLON, Iowa - Cold case investigator Steve Ridge has revealed that popular Mason City, Iowa morning television anchor Jodi Huisentruit boarded a ski boat with two men she did not previously know the weekend before she vanished in June of 1995. It has been widely reported that Huisentruit went skiing at Coralville Lake north of Iowa City, Iowa with the primary person of interest in her disappearance, a man twenty-some years here senior, John Vansice, Vansice’s son and two of Jodi’s friends.

Ridge says that his investigation has discovered that Jodi met two young men with a Master Craft ski boat. Ridge has managed to speak with witnesses who were at the lake that late June day in 1995. Ridge says he’s been told that while Vansice was clearly not enthused that Jodi jumped ship to spend some time with younger men, he did not overreact or cause a scene at the time, as some claim Vansice was prone to do.

Ridge says that once aboard the other boat, Huisentruit and a female friend were observed drinking and eventually singing and dancing on top of the enclosed engine compartment. Ridge says the young women’s performance was actually captured on a video made by the boat owner. That video is believed to be the last one ever made outside of Huisentruit’s workplace before she was abducted three days later. Ridge says this particular boater, whose name he is withholding at this time, made it a practice of trolling for young women along the beach. Ridge says the boater’s normal routine was to invite young women to ski, ply them with liquor and then get them to sing and dance while being videotaped on the deck of the boat.

Ridge says he’s exploring whether one or both of the young men might have visited or attempted to visit Jodi in Mason City the next day, a rainy Sunday, or possibly the Monday night before she was abducted. Ridge believes it is plausible that a confrontation occurred between parties inside Jodi’s apartment the night before she went missing, or in the parking lot, minutes before she was abducted on that Tuesday morning. Ridge says such a confrontation could shed light on both a motive and a proximity to the long mysterious abduction.

Ridge says he is convinced the strongest clues in Huisentruit’s disappearance can be found in the critical days and weeks leading up to her disappearance. “A lot of unfortunate things came together in a relatively short period of time just before Jodi went missing”, Ridge asserted.''
This makes me wonder how did Mr. Ridge know who to contact to get that video? Isn't he the one that had spoken with A. J, the girlfriend of D. H. In Iowa prison? Is A.J. giving out information about this case?

Jodi's last water-skiing trip with friends • Find Jodi Huisentruit
''Recent television news stories, citing Magid media executive Steve Ridge as their source, reported Jodi and an unnamed female friend also spent time that Saturday on another boat with two young men they had just met. The reports also indicated the boat’s owner videotaped Jodi.

Jodi’s friend Ani Kruse told FindJodi.com that she was the female friend on the boat with Jodi that day and confirmed they were videotaped.

“John and his son stayed on their boat; just the girls went on their boat,” she said.

Ani told us she shared this information with Iowa investigators in the early days of the investigation. Investigators were working on a timeline of Jodi’s activities leading up to June 27, 1995, when she was abducted on the way to anchor the morning news at KIMT TV in Mason City.

”The police and DCI knew about the video and the person videotaping it within the first few weeks,” Ani said. “It is not a newly discovered video.”

“When they questioned me about the weekend, I told them about the gentleman from Cargill in Cedar Rapids that owned the boat, and within that same day they (investigators) had gotten in contact with that individual,” she said.''

Ani added, “They did secure the video right away. The owner of the boat was at a training, but I do know they tracked him down as they came in when I was at the station during one of the conversations with I thought was the DCI.”

Ani said John Vansice and his son did not join them on the other boat.

“John and his son stayed on their boat; just the girls went on their boat,” she said.

”I don’t recall them knowing she was an anchor,” Ani said. “We just saw them and they asked if we wanted to join them. We were young and it was a different time back then.”

“John did not make a big deal out of it,” she said.

“We were not on the boat for very long. Less than hour.”

''Ani also told FindJodi.com that she and Jodi did not make any plans to get together again with the men they had just met.

“We talked with them and did not exchange information,” she said. “The police have not contacted me in over 20 years, but back then there were a lot of questions about that weekend and the boat ride and the guys.”

FindJodi.com reached out to Mason City Police for clarification on the video and/or verification of its existence.''

Dustin Honken is originally from Britt, IA. Three of his five victims included a mother and her two children who were kidnaped from Mason City days before Honken was supposed to plead guilty to drug charges.

The executions have been on hold since November when a district judge blocked them. The judge said the inmates should be allowed more time to challenge the new lethal injection protocol.

However, according to federal court documents, two new judges, both appointed by President Trump, reversed her decision. They are, however, keeping the executions on hold while other issues are resolved.

Death penalty reversal in decades-old Iowa murder case

Dustin Honken is originally from Britt, IA. Three of his five victims included a mother and her two children who were kidnaped from Mason City days before Honken was supposed to plead guilty to drug charges.

The executions have been on hold since November when a district judge blocked them. The judge said the inmates should be allowed more time to challenge the new lethal injection protocol.

However, according to federal court documents, two new judges, both appointed by President Trump, reversed her decision. They are, however, keeping the executions on hold while other issues are resolved.

Death penalty reversal in decades-old Iowa murder case
I hope the “other issues” relate somehow to the JH case. Maybe he knows something- directly or indirectly.

Did the DH drug business branch out to other states?
Yes. From the articles below:

Prosecutors say Honken was a likable chemistry whiz who turned into an evil mastermind, building elaborate meth labs in Arizona and then in Iowa in the early 1990s.
Infamous Iowa murderer Dustin Honken to be executed in 2020

Mr. Honken was found guilty of 17 federal crimes — including tampering with witnesses, conspiracy to commit murder, and multiple counts of a federal crime known as the kingpin statute — which meant he could be executed by the federal government.
These Are the 5 Men the Federal Government Plans to Execute

We all know who else ended up in AZ! Wouldn’t it be “wild”- using Jodi’s catchphrase- if the two were connected in some unexpected twist?! 100% speculation...

Yes. From the articles below:

Prosecutors say Honken was a likable chemistry whiz who turned into an evil mastermind, building elaborate meth labs in Arizona and then in Iowa in the early 1990s.
Infamous Iowa murderer Dustin Honken to be executed in 2020

Mr. Honken was found guilty of 17 federal crimes — including tampering with witnesses, conspiracy to commit murder, and multiple counts of a federal crime known as the kingpin statute — which meant he could be executed by the federal government.
These Are the 5 Men the Federal Government Plans to Execute

We all know who else ended up in AZ! Wouldn’t it be “wild”- using Jodi’s catchphrase- if the two were connected in some unexpected twist?! 100% speculation...

DH has been on my radar for several years. Too many coincidences to look the other way.

rbbm.
April 10 2020
Journalist expects arrest in murder of Jodi Huisentruit in June
''(Rochester, MN) -- An accomplice of a man convicted of five murders says Dustin Honken knows what happened to a television anchor who went missing nearly 20 years ago. Honken is on death row and narrowly missed his execution in January when a federal court intervened. It’s on hold during the coronavirus pandemic. Angela Johnson says he knows what happened to anchor Jodi Huisentruit. An investigative journalist who has pursued the case for more than a year-and-a-half says he thinks there will be an arrest in Huisentruit’s death by June.''

rbbm.
April 10 2020
Journalist expects arrest in murder of Jodi Huisentruit in June
''(Rochester, MN) -- An accomplice of a man convicted of five murders says Dustin Honken knows what happened to a television anchor who went missing nearly 20 years ago. Honken is on death row and narrowly missed his execution in January when a federal court intervened. It’s on hold during the coronavirus pandemic. Angela Johnson says he knows what happened to anchor Jodi Huisentruit. An investigative journalist who has pursued the case for more than a year-and-a-half says he thinks there will be an arrest in Huisentruit’s death by June.''
So 2 ppl have stated Honken “knows”- but not that he killed her. Interesting choice of words. I wonder who the investigative journalist is & why he/she thinks June for an arrest. For several years someone somewhere has said “this June”, “this July”, or “on the anniversary of”. So I take the timeline predictions with a grain of salt.

Did Honken know JVS? Any photos anyone remembers that link the two? I wouldn’t guess JVS or Jodi would ever be connected to meth in any way, but if Honken also sold pot, I could see that. JMO & speculation.

Feb 15, 2020 rbbm
''Up and Vanished's Payne Lindsey Explores Jodi Huisentruit's Disappearance
Retired TV anchor and author Beth Bednar explains that Huisentruit attended the Mason City golf tournament the night before her appearance. Angela Johnson, the girlfriend of Dustin Honken, worked at the country club.

“I don’t know that she talked to Jodi, but she may have very well come face to face with her a number of times that evening,” Bednar says in the clip.''

I think this is a picture of DH with JH.
IA - IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Mason City, 27 June 1995 - Anchorwoman

Here is another photo, from findjodi.com, of Jodi with the same guy...
We want your images of Jodi and friends • Find Jodi Huisentruit
It’s all coming back to me. So many shows, articles, websites, books, original news broadcasts. I forgot all about those pics. Not totally convinced it’s DH, but not convinced it’s not either. It seems like it should be easy to know who at least one other person is- besides Jodi. And they should be able to ID that group- and put the whole issue to bed.

Paraphrasing from multiple sources:
“Johnson was pregnant by Honken during the murders July 1993. She lured 4 victims by posing as a lost salesperson in need of a phone book, gaining entrance into victim's home and allowing access for Honken.”

“The fifth victim, Terry DeGeus, previously dated Johnson and allegedly owed drug money to Honken. Also baited by Johnson when she requested they meet at a local country club where she was working. He was killed Nov 1993.”

Victims' bodies found in 2000, when Johnson drew a map for a jailhouse informant that led authorities to their graves near Mason City.

Angela Johnson - Wikipedia

Dustin Honken to be executed: Timeline of events in infamous 1993 Iowa murder

Murder victim's sister speaks out on Johnson death sentence ruling

Dustin Honken inteview in 2005

Side notes... Their child would be 27 now. Plus he has 3 more.

If Angela Johnson knew where DH’s first 5 bodies were, and DH killed JH, you’d think she knows where he put her body as well? Then again, if she drew a map leading to the others, you’d think she’d lead LE to Jodi for a sentence reduction? Idk. Her brain is described as Swiss cheese- so guessing she did meth.

I really don’t know why DH would wait till now to reveal what he knows- if he knows. If he’s hoping for leverage against DP or for a lighter life sentence, he could have negotiated for that years ago why now? He’s 52- what could he gain now that he wouldn’t have gained two decades ago?

Paraphrasing from multiple sources:
“Johnson was pregnant by Honken during the murders July 1993. She lured 4 victims by posing as a lost salesperson in need of a phone book, gaining entrance into victim's home and allowing access for Honken.”

“The fifth victim, Terry DeGeus, previously dated Johnson and allegedly owed drug money to Honken. Also baited by Johnson when she requested they meet at a local country club where she was working. He was killed Nov 1993.”

Victims' bodies found in 2000, when Johnson drew a map for a jailhouse informant that led authorities to their graves near Mason City.

Angela Johnson - Wikipedia

Dustin Honken to be executed: Timeline of events in infamous 1993 Iowa murder

Murder victim's sister speaks out on Johnson death sentence ruling

Dustin Honken inteview in 2005

Side notes... Their child would be 27 now. Plus he has 3 more.

If Angela Johnson knew where DH’s first 5 bodies were, and DH killed JH, you’d think she knows where he put her body as well? Then again, if she drew a map leading to the others, you’d think she’d lead LE to Jodi for a sentence reduction? Idk. Her brain is described as Swiss cheese- so guessing she did meth.

I really don’t know why DH would wait till now to reveal what he knows- if he knows. If he’s hoping for leverage against DP or for a lighter life sentence, he could have negotiated for that years ago why now? He’s 52- what could he gain now that he wouldn’t have gained two decades ago?

I hear you. I wish we knew the answers.

Re visiting this older link.
Nov 5, 2019 By: Mike Bunge rbbm.
Investigator says he's found final video footage of Jodi Huisentruit
''SOLON, Iowa - Cold case investigator Steve Ridge has revealed that popular Mason City, Iowa morning television anchor Jodi Huisentruit boarded a ski boat with two men she did not previously know the weekend before she vanished in June of 1995. It has been widely reported that Huisentruit went skiing at Coralville Lake north of Iowa City, Iowa with the primary person of interest in her disappearance, a man twenty-some years here senior, John Vansice, Vansice’s son and two of Jodi’s friends.

Ridge says that his investigation has discovered that Jodi met two young men with a Master Craft ski boat. Ridge has managed to speak with witnesses who were at the lake that late June day in 1995. Ridge says he’s been told that while Vansice was clearly not enthused that Jodi jumped ship to spend some time with younger men, he did not overreact or cause a scene at the time, as some claim Vansice was prone to do.

Ridge says that once aboard the other boat, Huisentruit and a female friend were observed drinking and eventually singing and dancing on top of the enclosed engine compartment. Ridge says the young women’s performance was actually captured on a video made by the boat owner. That video is believed to be the last one ever made outside of Huisentruit’s workplace before she was abducted three days later. Ridge says this particular boater, whose name he is withholding at this time, made it a practice of trolling for young women along the beach. Ridge says the boater’s normal routine was to invite young women to ski, ply them with liquor and then get them to sing and dance while being videotaped on the deck of the boat.

Ridge says he’s exploring whether one or both of the young men might have visited or attempted to visit Jodi in Mason City the next day, a rainy Sunday, or possibly the Monday night before she was abducted. Ridge believes it is plausible that a confrontation occurred between parties inside Jodi’s apartment the night before she went missing, or in the parking lot, minutes before she was abducted on that Tuesday morning. Ridge says such a confrontation could shed light on both a motive and a proximity to the long mysterious abduction.

Ridge says he is convinced the strongest clues in Huisentruit’s disappearance can be found in the critical days and weeks leading up to her disappearance. “A lot of unfortunate things came together in a relatively short period of time just before Jodi went missing”, Ridge asserted.''
If neither Jodi or her friend knew the two men, why would they go the boat, dance, and allow themselves to be on video? Isn't it more likely that one of the women's friends introduced them to the two men? That would be more believable to me.

If neither Jodi or her friend knew the two men, why would they go the boat, dance, and allow themselves to be on video? Isn't it more likely that one of the women's friends introduced them to the two men? That would be more believable to me.
Idk. Mid-nineties, attitudes were very different. This was just a few years after hit TV show Miami Vice- social norms were a bit wild & loose, imo. She probably thought there was safety in numbers with her girlfriend there & JV not too far away. If things got too hinky, they could just jump ship so to speak & swim to shore or be picked up by JV. Things didn’t go viral on the internet then, so prob didn’t worry about being filmed. Plus it’s rural Iowa where most strangers know someone you know.

During our COVID-19 sheltering, we binge-watched all 3 seasons of Miami Vice & it was... well... a shocker. Maybe I should say “cringe-watched”- I forgot about the party hardy norms of that era, but it really was kind of like that. Jmo.

I’m not convinced that weekend had any connection to JH’s death though. From some of her diary excerpts, it was just another day. She frequently called experiences “wild” and made numerous references to “party hardy”. Sounded more like a HS diary than that of a career woman to me. But again, I really think it was the era- attitudes permeating every TV show of the day. Art imitating life imitating art as they say. Jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back