IA IA - KLUNDER, Michael J: Violent Sexual Offender, Murderer, and Suspected SK

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At least the detective sent you a reply.
I hope he means business and it's not just a form letter.
Did you also call/mail this info and pictures in to Black Hawk LE?
Maybe, by getting the two LE departments together so they could compare facts/evidence in their cold cases, it will help both of them?

It is not a form letter, watcher9. I made 2 phone calls and talked to another investigator, as well as PM & email with all the MJK timeline info and photos links, etc. I did not contact BHCSO or IA State Police.

It is not a form letter, watcher9. I made 2 phone calls and talked to another investigator, as well as PM & email with all the MJK timeline info and photos links, etc. I did not contact BHCSO or IA State Police.

I wonder what steps they will take next? Seems like the technology is there to see if the pictures are a match. How available is it to the average police department?

I also wonder where those pictures came from and how long LE has had access to them.

I wonder what steps they will take next? Seems like the technology is there to see if the pictures are a match. How available is it to the average police department?

SpringThyme, as is the case in many, if not most missing persons' investigations that grow cold. Critical time was lost in the initial stages.
Since the FBI is involved in the EC & LC investigation. Hopefully their resources are available to the Carrolton Police Department.

Imo, there is a reason for MJK returning to Houston, TX in 1992 after his car broke down in Tally, FL. Imo, MJK, likely either has friends or family in the Houston area.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...draw-out-clues.ece?ssimg=926856#ssStory926860
<sniped & BBM-read more>

25 years after Carrollton teens went missing, vigil aims to draw out clues

Carrollton police never closed the case, a police spokesman confirmed.
&#8220;We are happy to try as much as we can,&#8221; said police spokesman Jon Stovall.
A Facebook page &#8212; &#8220;Never Forget Stacie Madison and Susan Smalley&#8221; &#8212; asks anyone with information to call Carrollton police.

Though the Madisons&#8217; Mustang was found on Forest Lane in Dallas, the car wasn&#8217;t searched for fingerprints by either Dallas or Carrollton police, Sutherland said.
&#8220;That has been a sore point ever since,&#8221; Sutherland said, though he defends the job investigators are doing now.

I can't remember if I posted this or not, lol...

This discussion reminds me of the Amaaaaazzzing Documentary The Imposter, available on netflix. EVERYONE HERE HAS TO WATCH THIS MOVIE. I AM DEMANDING, LOL. It is an incredible story!!!

Anyway, <spoiler alert, sorry> there's a detective who helps crack the case by comparing photos of the ears! The ears are a unique identifier. MJK's were huge too!

Throwing another one out there.
du7uzy8u.jpg

I sure wish we would hear something - anything about MK.
I just hope that they haven't shelved his file since he is dead.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...pPthzF0xIzk62mqDg&oq=dayton+ia&mra=ls&t=m&z=5

Houston TX, Carrolton TX, Dayton, IA

http://globegazette.com/news/local/...cle_b448708a-db89-11e2-bf27-0019bb2963f4.html

In the early morning hours of March 20, 1988 is when (Sunday) , Susan Renee Smalley, and Stacie Elisabeth Madison vanished.

Nov. 15, 1986 — Attacks Ev Leasure, 15, in Kensett. Klunder is taken into custody by juvenile authorities and is eventually found guilty of a delinquent act.

Klunder is sent to the Boys State Training School in Eldora, to Meyer Hall in Des Moines, to Bremwood (a juvenile home) in Waverly and to the Mental Health Center in Cherokee.

February 1988 — Klunder is released from juvenile detention. He returns to Mason City and moves in with his father and stepmother.

Feb. 22, 1989 — Klunder appears at the home of a Mason City co-worker and asks to use the phone, saying his car had stalled. When the co-worker offers to give him a ride home, Klunder accepts. As they walk to her car, he strikes her to the ground and tries to choke her. Court records show he choked her until she had trouble breathing, and had visible marks on her throat.

March 30, 1989 — Cerro Gordo District Court rules Klunder would be tried as an adult, citing the closeness to his 18th birthday and his record of assault. He is charged with assault with intent to commit serious injury.

He is also charged with second-degree burglary that had occurred on Feb. 15, 1989, but no other details of the burglary are released.

June 15, 1989 — Judge agrees to reconsider Klunder’s prison sentence.

Sept. 16, 1989 — Judge Paul Riffel cancels the reconsideration hearing. He cites a report from prison officials that says while Klunder is doing well, he was in the midst of a sexual offender treatment program and should be able to complete it.

February 1991 — Klunder is released from Mount Pleasant Treatment Center.

Dec. 16, 1991 — Klunder is now living at the Lantern Park Apartments in Charles City and working at Comprehensive Systems recycling center.

But he loses his job on the morning of Dec. 16.

“He was really depressed, said he needed friends. He was really blue,” said Kristin Hesse, one of Klunder’s neighbors.

Klunder becomes the main suspect in the kidnapping of two, 3-year-old girls, who were taken from the front yard of their Charles City day care.

Both are found later that day in a garbage receptacle in Worth County. One of the children had been choked hard enough to raise concerns about her health. Other residents at the complex point to Klunder as a potential suspect.

He is questioned but he becomes uncooperative. When police try to find him again, they find he has fled the city in his 1982 Honda Civic.

Dec. 24, 1991 — Klunder is found in a Houston, Texas, bus station. Authorities are called there after being tipped off by a relative. His car is found abandoned on a road near Tallahassee, Fla.
Klunder fled to Florida, then to Texas, before being apprehended at a bus station in Houston, Tx.
Authorities searched his car and amid McDonald’s wrappers, clothing and road maps, they found a length of rope, a blood-stained quilt, “Playboy’s Book of Lingerie” and Klunder’s self-help books..
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...e-Dayton-kidnapping-suspect-s-delusional-past
http://globegazette.com/news/local/...cle_b448708a-db89-11e2-bf27-0019bb2963f4.html

Bolded in Red by me
(BRBM)
I wonder if they still have the blood stained quilt and where would it be located? Does the Carrolton Police Dept know about it?
Nowdays they can check for DNA and see if it matches Stacie or Susan?

When you talked to them, did you bring attention to the bloody quilt that was found in MK's vehicle?

I sure wish we would hear something - anything about MK.
I just hope that they haven't shelved his file since he is dead.

I posted this a day or two ago in Elizabeth's & Lyric's thread. It's something...

snipped

However, Meyers did confirm that the DCI has not yet ruled out a connection with Michael Klunder, a convicted sex offender who killed himself after kidnapping and killing Kathryn Shepard last summer in Dayton.

"We still have a number of elements to complete from a forensic science standpoint on that. I can tell you when that day comes we will be releasing that," Meyers said.

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io.../23178110/-/2e6neg/-/index.html#ixzz2mZ0DueKN

Tragic irony that Poly Klaas's remains were located twenty years ago yesterday; 12/04/1993.

RE: Smock said that, although they are following up on a number of leads, they are still not ruling out the late Michael Klunder.

In May, Klunder abducted two girls near Dayton, Iowa, killing one of the girls before killing himself.

Smock says they know where Klunder was on June 12 and 14, but they are still looking into his whereabouts on the 13th -- the day the girls went missing.

He says they have information about where Klunder might have been, but they aren't ready to release it just yet.

Year-long probe of cousins' deaths far from a cold case, police say
Bodies of Lyric Cook, Elizabeth Collins found outside Waterloo

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io.../23178110/-/2e6neg/-/index.html#ixzz2mcF6stRz

<sniped & BBM-Read More>

Just wanted to post an article which has the autopsy results and recaps the Dayton kidnapping by MK for our records.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kathlyn...er-idd-as-abducted-iowa-teen-authorities-say/

As a side thought -
I wish there were a way we could redo this thread to put posts in a more chronological format or at least put an opening statement post to describe the crimes MK is suspected of committing. I realized when I was re-reading it that someone who was not familiar with MK could be very confused as to what we were talking about. It does read like you are in the middle of a conversation that has been ongoing for awhile. They may not understand that we were discussing three different cases that he was or may have been involved in.

I think it might be worth talking a look at missing cases / unsolved homicides in the Houston area, December 16-24, 1991.

I think it might be worth talking a look at missing cases / unsolved homicides in the Houston area, December 16-24, 1991.
This might be a good place to start. ;)

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153596"]Cases from 1990-1999 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Here's a link to our thread on Susan Smalley and Staci Madison.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48889"]TX TX - Stacie Madison, 17, & Susan Smalley, 18, Carrollton, 19 March 1988 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

And for reference a link to our thread on Kathlynn Shepard and her friend.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210746"]Found Deceased IA - Kathlynn Shepard, 15, Dayton, 20 May 2013 #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

And of course a link to our thread on Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220974&page=42

well, here you go .... aka Killing Field, aka Texas 45, aka 45 Corridor:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32844"]"Killing Field" in League City, Texas- Calder Rd Cold Cases - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Some investigators think there were several serial killers involved in these cases. It is mind-boggling and exhausting. I live in Houston and have followed many cases.

Then when we were wondering about BSL (Mickey Schunick) being a serial killer, again we looked at some of these.

It is, indeed, a frightening world we live in.

well, here you go .... aka Killing Field, aka Texas 45, aka 45 Corridor:
"Killing Field" in League City, Texas- Calder Rd Cold Cases - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Some investigators think there were several serial killers involved in these cases. It is mind-boggling and exhausting. I live in Houston and have followed many cases.

Then when we were wondering about BSL (Mickey Schunick) being a serial killer, again we looked at some of these.

It is, indeed, a frightening world we live in.

Don't think MJK was responsible for any of the killing field victims due to incarceration, B4igo2it. MJK was arrested in TX on 12/24/1991 and extradited to Iowa for trial..

Michael Klunder Timeline

Dec. 16, 1991 &#8212; Klunder is now living at the Lantern Park Apartments in Charles City and working at Comprehensive Systems recycling center.

But he loses his job on the morning of Dec. 16.

&#8220;He was really depressed, said he needed friends. He was really blue,&#8221; said Kristin Hesse, one of Klunder&#8217;s neighbors.

Klunder becomes the main suspect in the kidnapping of two, 3-year-old girls, who were taken from the front yard of their Charles City day care.

Both are found later that day in a garbage receptacle in Worth County. One of the children had been choked hard enough to raise concerns about her health. Other residents at the complex point to Klunder as a potential suspect.

He is questioned but he becomes uncooperative. When police try to find him again, they find he has fled the city in his 1982 Honda Civic.

He is wanted on two counts of first-degree kidnapping and false imprisonment.

Dec. 24, 1991 &#8212; Klunder is found in a Houston, Texas, bus station. Authorities are called there after being tipped off by a relative. His car is found abandoned on a road near Tallahassee, Fla.

Jan. 3, 1992 &#8212; Klunder is extradited to Iowa.

Jan. 4, 1992 &#8212; Klunder is held on a $1 million bond in Floyd County District Court.

Jan. 10, 1992 &#8212; News is released that Klunder is a suspect in an assault on a 21-year-old Rudd woman, in an incident that occurred on Dec. 15, 1991 &#8212; one day before the kidnappings of the two girls.
<sniped - read more>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back